Author Topic: Room Treatment  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Re: Room Treatment
« Reply #30 on: Aug 11, 2020 at 04:12 PM »
Sir I'm really not a fan of bass traps in its capability to significantly reduce the low frequencies. For home theatre application I believe most watchers would watch the movies with slightly boosted low frequencies to make the experience more immersive. And if there are rattling issues, i would recommend fixing the rattling issue so you can have a better "bass". Or lower the sub gain if you want to "trap" the bass. Or perhaps EQ the lower frequencies.

But for 2 channel applications, that is a different topic. Instead of bass traps I would recommend treating the corners with custom made thick absorber panels or thick sound absorbers. It would have the same effect as the bass traps.

Thank you for the solid advice. I'll definitely look into it.

My main purpose is for 2-channel music and I wanted to get rid of the occasional boominess by attenuating some of the bass frequency peaks and dips while preserving overall bass levels. So basically I want to flatten the bass frequency curve with EQ as a last resort.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2020 at 04:18 PM by Mr. Bungle »

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #31 on: Aug 11, 2020 at 06:16 PM »
Thank you for the solid advice. I'll definitely look into it.

My main purpose is for 2-channel music and I wanted to get rid of the occasional boominess by attenuating some of the bass frequency peaks and dips while preserving overall bass levels. So basically I want to flatten the bass frequency curve with EQ as a last resort.
If you only have 1-2 frequencies you want to control, you can make helmholtz resonators.

Offline TinkerTailor

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #32 on: Aug 11, 2020 at 07:46 PM »
Talking of speakers in relation to the room, I wonder what are benefits if the stereo speaker drivers are installed in the front wall i.e. the front wall itself is the baffle.

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #33 on: Aug 11, 2020 at 07:53 PM »
Talking of speakers in relation to the room, I wonder what are benefits if the stereo speaker drivers are installed in the front wall i.e. the front wall itself is the baffle.

Benefits? stealth look. Malinis tingnan because in wall speakers are designed really to blend in the decor however you probably will lose the sonic illusion of depth. Sa US uso yang set up na yan.  pre built in wall speakers are available from many reputable speaker manufacturers. Madali for them to install those because their walls are normally not concrete unlike here.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2020 at 07:54 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #34 on: Aug 11, 2020 at 07:58 PM »
IN-WALL good for HT use if we like to have clean look w/out those bulky speakers all around the room. I think ok lang yung IN-WALL para sa HT coz usually it just for effects but for stereo they aren't capable of high-quality sound. Just my 2 cents.
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline TinkerTailor

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #35 on: Aug 11, 2020 at 08:50 PM »
I was wondering if the same benefits of infinite baffle subwoofer system would apply...

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #36 on: Aug 12, 2020 at 07:33 AM »
Cars in the 80's usually has those infinite baffle system making the entire baggage compartment as the box. I don't know if that will ever work w/ home systems. Maybe if there's a basement & the under flooring is made of wood then possibly install the sub speakers in the basement then the bass flow to a duct/vent towards the intended area. parang pangit siguro ang sound nito & very tedious to do but maybe at least uni-directional ang bass waves  ;D
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #37 on: Aug 12, 2020 at 07:18 PM »
If you only have 1-2 frequencies you want to control, you can make helmholtz resonators.

Yeah. I remember your experiment...