Author Topic: Media Player to be used as a sound source  (Read 5712 times)

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 77
Media Player to be used as a sound source
« on: Sep 22, 2015 at 07:05 PM »
Good Evening guys...

My current set-up is media player(cocoon) connected to TV thru HDMI and Audio out (phones) of TV to my mini-component.

Just want to play music and possibly could turn-off the tv if the music is already playing leaving the media player and mini-component to be ON. My current set-up would not permit me to do so. By the way, my mini-component has Aux-in only.

Any help will do..
“It takes half your life before you discover life is a DIY project.”

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Media Player to be used as a sound source
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 07:15 PM »
Your problem is that you're using the TV to output audio to your mini-comp. That's why your sound goes out when you turn the tv off. You'll need to get the audio signal directly from your media player. Check if your media player has any other output ports aside from HDMI.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 07:29 PM »
either you pass the cocoon thru a receiver or use the rca feature of cocoon and not the hdmi.

The yellow rca will go to the tv and the red/white will go to the mini-compo.

84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline noob

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5407
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 08:05 PM »
yes you plug the 3.5mm jack  (with 3 rca on the other end) to the AV socket, plug the yellow to the tv (video in - also yellow).     the 2 other color maybe red and white or red and black.  plug the red rca to red aux in and white or black to the white or black aux in of the mini component.  if the mini component has a 3.5mm aux in, you have buy anothrr cable with female rca in one end and a 3,5mm jack in the other end. 

once you have selected your music file or folder or drive, you can now turn off the tv, should the cocoon has no display for you to decide the said music file, folder or drive.

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 10:14 PM »
Your problem is that you're using the TV to output audio to your mini-comp. That's why your sound goes out when you turn the tv off. You'll need to get the audio signal directly from your media player. Check if your media player has any other output ports aside from HDMI.

Got it right sir...it has an RCA out...but I doubt it outputs a signal since I am using the HDMI signal to the TV.

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM »
either you pass the cocoon thru a receiver or use the rca feature of cocoon and not the hdmi.

The yellow rca will go to the tv and the red/white will go to the mini-compo.

Yes sir... I was hoping that simultaneously the player would output in HDMI and in RCA...sayang naman kasi if Id be using only the RCA for the video...sayang yung HD capability nya.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 10:37 PM »
unfortunately almost all gadgets today that has both hdmi and rca output, the priority is given to hdmi over rca.

Bili ka na lang sir ng second hand na receiver with hdmi in/out. Enjoy ka pa.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM »
unfortunately almost all gadgets today that has both hdmi and rca output, the priority is given to hdmi over rca.

Bili ka na lang sir ng second hand na receiver with hdmi in/out. Enjoy ka pa.

Yes sir... this would be the next route...thanks for the inputs..

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 02:18 AM »
Yes sir... I was hoping that simultaneously the player would output in HDMI and in RCA...sayang naman kasi if Id be using only the RCA for the video...sayang yung HD capability nya.

I have this current set up with my WD media player, the HDMI and RCA is able to work simultaneously. since Aux in lang yung mini compo baka kailangan mo lang ng jack for the L and R RCA.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline kiwimig

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 02:55 AM »
i believe you can use both the tv speakers for your movies and mini component for music.

maintain the hdmi cable from the media player to the tv. this will give you both audio and video feeds. buy an rca cable that has a 3.5mm jack on one end and red+white (or even red, white and yellow) jacks on the other. plug 3.5mm to your media player's av port and red+white to aux in of mini component. make sure to set mini component to play aux. i believe this set-up will do the job. if it doesn't work off the bat, try to adjust the audio settings on your media player. it will probably tell you to choose to output between hdmi or rca. if this works, you can even use your mini component to be your speakers for movies by just turning down volume of tv or muting it. good luck.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 07:52 AM »
Pagkakaalam ko media players like that output audio to HDMI and RCA line out simultaneously. Nasubukan mo na ba connect directly yung RCA line out to your mini compo? Pag walang audio try playing with the Cocoon audio settings (HDMI audio off, disable DTS/DD output, stereo out only, volume settings, etc).
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 09:48 AM »
Pagkakaalam ko media players like that output audio to HDMI and RCA line out simultaneously. Nasubukan mo na ba connect directly yung RCA line out to your mini compo? Pag walang audio try playing with the Cocoon audio settings (HDMI audio off, disable DTS/DD output, stereo out only, volume settings, etc).

I have tried it sir but I can't let the RCA work with the HDMI on...I will try again sir and try to confirm if the player really outputs simultaneously on HDMI and RCA.

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 09:53 AM »
I have this current set up with my WD media player, the HDMI and RCA is able to work simultaneously. since Aux in lang yung mini compo baka kailangan mo lang ng jack for the L and R RCA.

I will try again sir using another RCA. It didnt work with the HDMI on...

Offline Dollarman

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • DVD Addict
  • forever noob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM »

How is the sq bro? i have a omni asus media player and was thinking of using it too as a source
Ref3A MM de Capo BE
REGA Elex-r
SL1200 MK3
Yaqin VK2100
Onkyo 818
Panasonic AE8000
Polk Audio
SVS

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 09:50 PM »
Just an update guys...tried isolating each connections and have confirmed, the player detects the connections available. If HDMI is connected, the player prioritizes the HDMI connection and disables the RCA connection. If the HDMI connection is removed, the player enables the RCA A/V port. It doesn't give  an output to the same port at the same time. With it, thanks guys for your inputs...

As an alternative, I was thinking if there is a small gadget ( converter that caters HDMI output and RCA Output ) so I could connect it this way.

Media Player > Gadget / Converter >   Output 1 -HDMI toTV  /   and Output 2 - RCA to Component

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 11:07 PM »
Just an update guys...tried isolating each connections and have confirmed, the player detects the connections available. If HDMI is connected, the player prioritizes the HDMI connection and disables the RCA connection. If the HDMI connection is removed, the player enables the RCA A/V port. It doesn't give  an output to the same port at the same time. With it, thanks guys for your inputs...

As an alternative, I was thinking if there is a small gadget ( converter that caters HDMI output and RCA Output ) so I could connect it this way.

Media Player > Gadget / Converter >   Output 1 -HDMI toTV  /   and Output 2 - RCA to Component

Wala bang audio settings yun media player? Minsan it does the trick.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 11:23 PM »

This is true, i have an egreat media player before that you can set sound output to RCA/Coax/HDMI or all
Walang Setup

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2015 at 11:30 PM »

Wala sir...eto rin ang hinahanap ko...

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 12:01 AM »
How is the sq bro? i have a omni asus media player and was thinking of using it too as a source

Quite frankly you wouldn't notice the difference between playing a FLAC file or an MP3. Just make sure you use a decent interconnect kasi I used the ordinary free ones that come with the media player and pangit yung contact points, it had a scratchy sound so I just changed it to something else and the sound became cleaner.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 12:04 AM »
I am using an Media player as audio source playing WAV files from my ripped CDs.
Quality is around 95% of a dedicated CD.
I find it more convenient since I can make a compilation of songs I like and can have a long playlist.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline noob

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5407
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 12:27 AM »

this is where my xtreamer has an advantage, it can simuteneously output to hdmi, optical and analog. i am just not sure how better it is with an external dac in playing flac and wav files vis a viz the built in realtek dac.  i could not also compare it with a cd sq because i only have a vcd player.  also, i still need to listen to other gears by way of eb/s or read reviews to increase my experiences as part of my journey in this hobby.

Offline titor

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 02:18 AM »
Ako gawa ko media player connected to the receiver. and use an android app/DLNA player (Mediahouse) then use my phone to control it without having to turn on the tv.
That awkward moment when I'm drunk and you're still ugly.

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM »
I used a mede8er as source.  hdmi connected to the TV then analog to an amp.  Ok naman SQ pero mapapansin mong manipis tumunog.  WAV files sounded like mp3.  I added a dacmagic and lumabas ung tunog.  Only gripe is lahat ng files converted pa din sa 44.1khz.  Seems eto problema ng media players unlike computers.  Next, I added a wifi dongle and download an app so I control everything sa ipad.  Unfortunately, the interface is not as good and intuitive like the computer set-up of Sir Courage.

My piece of advice is to consider the computer route.  SQ is much better and app based control is more superior.

Paeng
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline AppleMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 11:21 AM »
^_Brader match po ba yang dacmagic na yan sa Mede8er 800? nasa magkano po kaya at saan nabibili? meron pa ba mas ok ang SQ na dac bukod dyan sa dacmagic?  TIA! po.  ;)
KEF Q100
NAD C326BEE

Offline cyberdraven

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 11:40 AM »
^_Brader match po ba yang dacmagic na yan sa Mede8er 800? nasa magkano po kaya at saan nabibili? meron pa ba mas ok ang SQ na dac bukod dyan sa dacmagic?  TIA! po.  ;)

sa dac kasi brad pananaw ko dapat imatch sa speaker and amplifier hindi sa source.  Ung system ko kasi dati eh warm sounding so gusto ko lagyan ng konting "angas", hence, I need a neutral-bright, slight forward sounding and detailed or a bit clinical sounding dac kaya ginamitan ko ng Cambridge.  Depende sa system mo yan, if your system is quite bright and you want to tame it a bit, ok din ung Teac UD-H01.  If you want to add a somehow tubey midrange, gamitan mo nang musical fidelity v90 para creamy ung midrange.

Pananaw ko kasi eh walang pangit na gamit.  Asa pagluluto yan.  Matching gears is very important, at the end of the day you will hear the system as a whole, hindi per piece.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 12:25 PM »
What is the max format of a WAV file from a CD rip? 
I used a mede8er as source.  hdmi connected to the TV then analog to an amp.  Ok naman SQ pero mapapansin mong manipis tumunog.  WAV files sounded like mp3.  I added a dacmagic and lumabas ung tunog.  Only gripe is lahat ng files converted pa din sa 44.1khz.  Seems eto problema ng media players unlike computers.  Next, I added a wifi dongle and download an app so I control everything sa ipad.  Unfortunately, the interface is not as good and intuitive like the computer set-up of Sir Courage.

My piece of advice is to consider the computer route.  SQ is much better and app based control is more superior.

Paeng
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline junji

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 12:45 PM »
Me, i am using my laptop with foobar installed through smsl m8 dac being controlled using smartphone android with foobar controller. Pag tinatamad mag open ng laptop, i use my fiio x5 as player. So far wala na ko hahanapin pa.

Offline cyberdraven

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 01:05 PM »
What is the max format of a WAV file from a CD rip? 

the ripped cds is only 44.1khz.  what im talking are the hires files that are 192kz, binababa talaga nung media player.  everything is set at 44.1khz kahit naka "passthrough" ung settings.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #28 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 01:49 PM »
Gusto lang daw ni TS mapatunog sa mini compo ang media player nya. Gusto nyo pa yata pabilihin ng PC/laptop at DAC.  >:D
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 02:01 PM »
Thank you for the clarification. I thought something was wrong with my settings.

the ripped cds is only 44.1khz.  what im talking are the hires files that are 192kz, binababa talaga nung media player.  everything is set at 44.1khz kahit naka "passthrough" ung settings.
Where is the Love? BEP