Author Topic: The Sopranos  (Read 12266 times)

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:the sopranos
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18, 2002 at 03:10 PM »
Now on the 3rd season of The Sopranos.  Madonn!!! Meadow is indeed turning into a BABE!  ;D

Well, kay Dr. Melfi pa rin ako!  ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2002 at 03:14 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #31 on: Nov 18, 2002 at 04:13 PM »
Well, kay Dr. Melfi pa rin ako!  ;D

Starting tomorrow, November 19, Lorraine "Dr. Melfi" Bracco takes over the role of Mrs. Robinson in the Broadway version of The Graduate, stepping in for Kathleen Turner. This makes her the second Sopranos star naked on Broadway, since Edie "Carmela Soprano" Falco is currently doing mucho nudity in Frankie and Johnny. Sorry to the Meadow fans, though - Jamie-Lynn Sigler is in a G rated role on stage: Belle in Beauty and the Beast.

Now if only they do a revival of Oh! Calcutta! starring Adrianna...  8)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2002 at 04:25 PM »
Yes, who could forget Adrianna.  That Christopher is one lucky Made Guy.

Oh, remember the movie Goodfellas?  Remember Spider?  The kid who was shot by Joe Pesci?  He is Christopher.

He also was one of those Italian gangsters in Last Man Standing.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 19, 2002 at 02:06 PM »
i do not want to give any spoilers for the 4th season...but just make sure you get to watch episode #9 since this is the best episode of the season so far.... 8)
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 20, 2002 at 07:53 AM »
Just finished Season 3.

I'm waiting for the DVD of Season 4!

C'mon, lets go!

Trivia:
R.I.C.O
- Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
- Passed in 1970 to aid the govt in clamping down organized crime activities.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 07:07 AM »
by Lia Haberman
Feb 26, 2003, 12:30 PM PT

Hey, A.J.: Sixty thousand smackers will buy you a lot of (bleeping) ziti.

With news of five Sopranos stars renegotiating their contracts for another season of the HBO hit series, Robert Iler won't be the only one able to afford all the pasta casseroles he can eat.

The actor who plays Anthony Jr. was joined at the bargaining table by Michael Imperioli, Tony Sirico, Drea de Matteo and Jamie-Lynn Sigler, who all signed on for a fifth and possible sixth season, according to today's Hollywood Reporter. (A sixth season isn't out of the question, considering HBO has been pulling creator David Chase back in ever since the fourth season.)

Imperioli, whose character spent the majority of the past season in a drug-induced haze, reportedly netted himself a fee of about $80,000 per episode for the upcoming season, which is scheduled to begin shooting next month.

Meanwhile, Iler reportedly joined forces with fellow cast members Sirico, de Matteo and Sigler to strong-arm their fee up from between $15,000 to $25,000 per episode to a healthy $60,000 an episode for the fifth season.

The supporting cast members allegedly had deals through the sixth season, but after last season's finale attracted 12.5 million viewers, making it the second most watched show in HBO history and hijacking that Sunday night's Nielsen ratings, the players went looking for payback.

For its part, HBO refused to confirm the wheeling and dealing. "We don't comment on anything that has to do with contracts or money," said HBO spokesperson Tobe Becker like a good consiglieri.

De Matteo's attorney, Todd Rubenstein, who allegedly handled the negotiations for her, Iler, Sirico and Sigler, wasn't talking either.

But if the trade account is accurate, that puts the Sopranos supporting cast members on a pay par with what their supporting counterparts at NBC's West Wing received last year. However, the Mafia drama earns its stars lower yearly salaries because the cable series only tapes 13 episodes per season as opposed to an average 22 for a broadcast series.

Harried head of the family James Gandolfini has yet to negotiate his cut from the upcoming season, but you can bet this TV don won't be lacking for ziti.

Of course, Gandolfini could find himself sharing his windfall with former wife Marcella, the mother of his three-year-old son. The actor's marriage was officially iced last December, when New York State Supreme Court Justice Judith Gische granted a divorce in favor of the jilted missus.

The ruling settled what had the potential to become a nasty divorce battle, as Marcella went public with tales of Gandolfini's alleged cocaine use, excessive boozing and "kinky sex with multiple mistresses." But in the end the two reportedly patched things up long enough to avoid slinging their mud in court.

Marital bliss also eluded Tony Soprano last year, as Carmela told the big lug to take a hike in the season finale. "You've made a fool of me for years," Carmela ranted on the 75-minute, fourth-season ender. "You've had quite a time on my watch."

Tony's fate is unclear, but don't feel too sorry for Gandolfini. The actor is currently starring opposite Ben Affleck in the dark comedy Surviving Christmas. He's also on board for the indie drama Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2003 at 07:50 PM »
Tony and Carmela (Gandolfini and Falco) just won Best Actor/Best Actress (Television) at the 9th Screen Actors Guild Awards.

Did you guys hear? In addition to the cast members mentioned in the article above, Gandolfini is now also suing HBO for breach of contract, so he won't have to return for a 5th season of the show.

I guess $400,000 an episode isn't enough for some people, and they need to use strange negotiating tactics...  ::)

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2003 at 07:57 PM »
Just got to borrow the Season 1 R3 DVD of the Sopranos. I can't believe ang mura dito (P1,700). What they're charging in the US is pure extortion ($74.99 @ Amazon). Can't wait til my cousin gets Season 2 & 3.

Just finished the first DVD & I'm hooked. No wonder it's so talked about. Speaking of which Gandolfini may not be included in the 5th Season. :(

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Mar 12, 2003 at 07:04 AM »
If Gandolfini is out, then will they kill his character?  Pano kaya?  Or will they just change the actor but same character?

Sayang, laugh trip pa naman si Gandolfini  :(

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 05:09 AM »
One thing I love the Sopranos is the good food they keep on eating especially at Artie Bucco's Vesuvio Restaurant. I stumbled upon this Sopranos-themed cookbook. Anyone got a copy?

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 08:05 AM »
Hello DViant,

Where did you find that book?

I've been looking for that since I watched the Sopranos.  I want to give it to my wife in order for her to learn how to cook like Artie.  :)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 08:22 AM »
There's a Sopranos cookbook? YUM!!!! That's one of the reasons why I love this show --- great food!!! Is this available locally?

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 03:32 PM »
Still lookin... if I can't find I'll get it on Amazon...

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 04:28 PM »
Speaking of food ala-Soprano style......

I remember this scene when Tony's wife was flirting with the priest.  She brought the priest some yummy looking home made pasta.  To her dismay, the priest was being flirted by another lady.  What Tony's wife did was to throw the pasta in the garbage can.  Sayang.  :(
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2003 at 11:58 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 05:00 PM »
I almost cried when I saw what she was doin... Murder, grand larseny & extortion's ok... but throwing perfectly good pasta IS a crime!

=====

HBO SUES GANDOLFINI FOR $100 MILLION

HBO has made "The Sopranos" star James Gandolfini an offer he can't refuse: go back to work as scheduled or cough up $100 million.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Mar 28, 2003 at 11:52 PM »
Yahoo! I got it na.... :)

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 29, 2003 at 12:00 AM »
Got what DViant?

The cookbook?

Where?

How much?

Akin na lang.  ;D

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 29, 2003 at 12:12 AM »
Got the cookbook. I asked a friend to buy it for me $29.95. I asked Powerbooks how much they will be selling it and 1400 daw.

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Mar 30, 2003 at 02:30 PM »
looks like there will no longer be any Sopranos next season because the fat dude that plays Tony got too damn gready  >:(

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 03:36 AM »
looks like there will no longer be any Sopranos next season because the fat dude that plays Tony got too d**n gready  >:(

In case you haven't heard yet, shooting for the fifth season started already after James Gandolfini pulled back his lawsuit against HBO ... and HBO did the same. They never disclosed what they agreed on but I doubt if he's going to get $750,000 like Martin Sheen on The West Wing.  Do you think James deserved to be paid that much ? HBO apparently doesn't think so. Sure both shows will make money from DVDs. But unlike The West Wing, it would be difficult to sell/show Sopranos in syndication because of violence and foul language. NBC gets advertisement money from commercials ... HBO doesn't.  But Sopranos pull more viewers or at least equal to that of The West Wing ... which means more money for HBO as well because you have to subscribe to watch the show.

Anyway, I think new episodes will be shown in January 2004.

James was good though in The Mexican .. make that the best thing in that movie.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2003 at 03:37 AM by kakabanas »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: The Sopranos
« Reply #50 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 12:29 AM »
The Sopranos has been renewed for a shorter-than-usual 6th season:

HBO Announces Sixth Season for 'Sopranos'

NEW YORK - Tony Soprano — or at least the HBO series that bears his name — will be sticking around awhile longer.

HBO announced that it has agreed with producers of the award-winning mob drama for a sixth season. The cast currently is wrapping up production on the fifth season, which will begin in March 2005.

The sixth season will consist of 10 episodes, shorter than the 13-episode seasons "The Sopranos (news - Y! TV)" usually offers, HBO spokeswoman Tobe Becker said Thursday.

It's widely assumed that the sixth season will be the last one for "The Sopranos." Then again, it was widely assumed the fifth season would, too.

Series creator David Chase signaled the intention to keep going last week in an interview with the New York Daily News.

"I'd planned out an arc for season five that would have ended the show," he said. "But as we're getting into it, we're finding there's a lot more material. We could cram it into 13 episodes, but I don't know that it's the right thing to do."

Chase and his production team began negotiations that led to the extra 10-episode season.

Production for the sixth season will start in early 2005. No air dates have been set.

=====

March 2005 for Season 5 to air??? That's a really long wait, since the 4th season ended last December!  >:(
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2003 at 12:30 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
the sopranos
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2004 at 09:49 PM »
Friends have been raving about this show. I saw the first episode on VHS before and wasn't impressed. If I may ask The Sopranos' fans, "Why do you like this show? Is there a particular episode from the first season that hooked you?" It might help me if I see that one first. Thanks in advance!
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2004 at 10:10 PM »
Friends have been raving about this show. I saw the first episode on VHS before and wasn't impressed. If I may ask The Sopranos' fans, "Why do you like this show? Is there a particular episode from the first season that hooked you?" It might help me if I see that one first. Thanks in advance!

Watch the episode entitled "College". This is from the first season, I think the third episode. You'll get what Soprano is about.

Soprano has two families - his family - wife,  teenage daughter, teenage son, fierce mom, weird sisters, Uncle Junior. And then there's his other family - the mafia family, each member may personality issues rin. This episode (College) sums up his dilemma of heading both  families. On one hand he has to do his role as the Daddy, on the other hand he has to fulfill his role as the Mob boss (well, one of them since Uncle Junior is the senior mob boss).

Why I like it? M-A-F-I-A. ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 03, 2004 at 02:20 AM »
There's a lot to like about this show.  The most obvious of which is the cast -- James Gandolfini and Edie Falco have 3 Emmys each for their lead role performances so they're givens, but the supporting cast though not as award-lucky has been just as excellent. Nancy Marchand (Livia the Mom), Dominic Chianese (Uncle Junior) and Loraine Bracco (Dr. Melfi the Shrink) are all certified Emmy should-have-wons.

The other characters are borderline outrageous but nonetheless more real and flesh and bone than those White House cutouts over at West Wing -- Steve Van Zandt (yep, of The E Street Band) as Silvio Dante, Tony Sirico as Paulie Walnuts and Michael Imperioli as Chris Moltisanti (both are Goodfellas alums), Joe Pantoliano as Ralphie (he actually won an Emmy for this), Aida Turturro (John's cousin) as Janice/Parvati and Vincent Pastore as Big Pu ssy (to differentiate him from another character, Little Pu ssy).  See, right there.  Any TV series with a character named Big Pu ssy is bound to kick @ss.  

To me though the real hook is the writing.  In a word, it's hysterical.  And the laughs come almost always from left field.  This is a show that tackles organized crime, murders, drugs, death, sex, treachery, every underworld filth you can think of and yet there isn't one episode you don't laugh out loud.  This is not to say that this series is a sitcom and that the writing is for superficial amusement.  Far from it. The Sopranos had four of the five nominations in the Emmys Best Screenplay Category for its 1st and 3rd seasons and three for the 4th Season (Season 2 only had 2 episodes nominated, and the only season where it did not win the Screenplay Emmy). What's not to like.

Cruzsack is right, College from Season 1 is a good episode to sink your teeth in and give you a good feel.  Throw in the Pilot and the second episode (46 Long) for good measure.  There are also big payoffs in the last and next to last episodes which will be better appreciated if all episodes are watched -- come on dive in, there are worse things you can do :)

Why it won't be shown here: the Bada Bing, the colorful language, the theme.  I don't think the producers will compromise by having the show bleeped and cut for asian audiences like HBO does SATC.

Why it has always lost out to The West Wing for the Best Drama Emmys?  A mystery.  Like the virgin birth. Madonn'!
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2004 at 02:30 AM by JdelaCruz »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2004 at 02:39 AM »

Some of my  reasons I tune in to this (hypotehtically , of course, since I watch them on DVD)  are the same as slow's and Cruzack's , reuven.

I have a hard-on for crime stuff.  But more than that, I have a hard-on for well-written crime stuff.

The Sopranos is well-written crime stuff. And good writing is  such a rarity in TV shows  these days (offhand I can only think of this and ,oh,probably Six Feet Under and The Simpsons, among those still being shown, to have quality writing, the rest wavers from merely competent to  hackwork to truly loathsome- - Kevin Williamson's and David Kelley's ,in general, JF Lawton's, in particular) it's refreshing.

Why I like crime stuff? Same reason I like rock - - - lure of the forbidden, dangerous glamour, blah blah blah.  This has all that  - - - plus it's funny and twisted.  Definitely not a wholesome show, this. But I prefer the wholesome stuff in my life not in my art. Just me,of course.  ;D

Plus, I like James Gandolfini. Probably not the most convincing reason in the world but there.

And yeah "College" is a hoot. But the rest of the series is wonderful, too.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2004 at 02:46 AM by X44 »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
the sopranos
« Reply #55 on: Jan 03, 2004 at 10:20 AM »
thanks for the feedback, bespren, X, & J!

saw the pilot but it didn't engage me. will give 'College' a try then.

I like Gandolfini, Falco, Bracco at least judging from their film work. I was also moved by Joe Pantoliano's speech during last year's Emmys. Though I don't watch the show, I know he deserved it as well as the whole show. It seems a lot better than the West Wing.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 17, 2004 at 09:52 AM »
WOWOW (on Destiny Channel 53 now) has been showing what seems to be a non-stop Sopranos marathon. I saw a Season One episode last night, and right now, it's the Season Three finale. Widescreen, in ENGLISH without Japanese subtitles.

I think it was shown in preparation for a regular weekly airing of Season Four, from the plug they showed after the marathon. I wish I could read Japanese so i could know for sure.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2004 at 10:03 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline boyethampi

• Apprentice
  • Make my Day!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 05:18 PM »
Hi,

I am a new member of the group and am also a fan of THE SOPRANOS.  

I just got started watching the series and its really awesome.  Just finished season 1 and am looking for a season 2 copy.  Baka mayroon kayong extra copy, am willing to buy it.  Medyo nahuhuli na ako kaya bear with me.

I don't know if you have gone to their official website - www.the-sopranos.com, worth puntahan.

I was also able to watch the last episode of season 3 sa WOWOW a few weeks ago.  The last two weeks wala atang sopranos dahil the network was airing the Australian Open.  The schedule is 11 Pm every Friday and a replay at 9 am on Saturdays.  

Maybe they will air the 4th season starting tonite.

Chow :)

Offline Fatbastard

• Apprentice
  • I want my baby back baby back ribs!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 01:46 AM »
Watch seasons 1-3 in just two days.  Now, I'm an absolute fan of the Sopranos! Season 5 na next month! Wala pa ako season 4!

All: What's your favorite episode? Pine Barrens is on the top of my list.  Laughed my a$$ off the whole time.

Quote...
Paulie Walnuts: " The guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians. He was an interior decorator."
Christopher Moltesanti: "His house looked like Sh*t."

I miss Big Pussy though.

Btw, anybody knows where I can find "The Tao of Bada Bing" book.  I saw the Cookbook at powerbooks greenbelt 3. But this one is hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1566492785/103-3768974-5445459?v=glance

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 10:12 AM »
Been in the middle of Season 4 myself.  Meandering and not quite satisfying the first few episodes then I play Disc 3 and bang bang bang! Three of the best episodes ever.  This series really gets into it when it gets going. Im actually mentally preparing myself for Disc 4.