Author Topic: The Sopranos  (Read 12263 times)

Offline clockwork chico

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Sopranos
« on: Nov 16, 2001 at 09:29 PM »
i believe its one of the most, or maybe the most imporatnt show on TV for the past 10 years!..the writing is excellent, the cast superb abd the direction nearly flawless

season 1 and season 2 are now out on DVD...you guys better see this! its worth the price!

so are there any sopranos fans out there? who are your favorite characters and episodes?

bada bing!
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2005 at 12:43 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
Re: the sopranos
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 11:22 PM »
Tsk...gusto ko to panoorin...pahiram na lang ng DVD?  ;D
I've been curious about this show for a long time. I have not yet seen a single episode, and I hear it's really good. Kwento naman... ;D This one is not on our buying list. MaybeI should think about including it, no?
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2001 at 12:48 AM »

Tsk...gusto ko to panoorin...pahiram na lang ng DVD?  ;D
I've been curious about this show for a long time. I have not yet seen a single episode, and I hear it's really good. Kwento naman... ;D This one is not on our buying list. MaybeI should think about including it, no?

yeah..get it!..if there's one dvd boxed set u should buy..it should be this!

puwede mo hiramin yun sa aken..pero mapapanood ren ni parc yan kaya huwag nalang hahaha....pero sure you could borrow my copy...

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2001 at 02:44 PM »
There's also a two page thread here:
The Sopranos    :)

Offline argent_tejsla

• Apprentice
  • ya mangy varmint!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2001 at 11:18 PM »
what i want to know is, how come they never showed it here? they edit other HBO series to death anyway, and i'd appreciate a glimpse.
run along now and don't get yerself inta trouble.
http://one_argent.tripod.com

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
The Sopranos
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2001 at 09:41 AM »
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2002 at 05:35 PM by Phobos »

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
The Sopranos
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2001 at 09:27 PM »
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2003 at 07:54 AM by Phobos »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Sopranos' Fan check this out
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2001 at 09:02 PM »
Currently  $68,500.00   :o  A lot of bids too, since it started at $5000!  Can I just have the sun visor for the autograph?

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Sopranos' Fan check this out
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2001 at 09:13 PM »

Currently  $68,500.00   :o  A lot of bids too, since it started at $5000!  Can I just have the sun visor for the autograph?

At that price id rather have elvis'es jock strap

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re:Sopranos Fans Check It Out!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2002 at 04:01 AM »
Lawsuit: Italians vs. The Sopranos
Reason for Lawsuit: Dumb@sses
Seeking: Don't Ask, Seriously.

An anti-defamation group of Italian-Americans recently went to court to get the Sopranos taken off the air. Their television analysts claim that it it stereotypes Italians as gangsters, and they insist that some if not most of Italian-Americans are not actually members of organized crime families. And while we must commend them on their ability to spot the difference between actors on TV and real life people, we should remind them that that wasn't one of the unsolvable mysteries of the universe and that even non-Italian-Americans knew that too.

They claim that the problem with the Sopranos is that it makes it look like most members of the Italian mafia are of Italian descent. In the show's defense, this was a decision made after test audiences said that having the Italian mafia being made up of Jamaican French Canadians was totally craped up.

Here's a hard fact of reality hitting you in the face: There may come a day when a jar of intergalactic peanut butter makes all of our television programs magically come to life. And then, yes, every single Italian person would be a hard-nosed mob enforcer. But by the same logic, every single millionaire playboy would be Batman. So it would all even out in the end, and maybe even be better once you consider how we'd also have Flipper.

When you've been stereotyped, it just means that every stranger makes a fool of themselves when they meet you. For example, I ask every black person I meet if they have a thirty inch penis. It really hurts their feelings, especially the women, but after they finish taking it out, flinging it around, and pulling a fully-loaded truck up the street with it, stereotypes are done affecting their life. No one is really going to to walk up to an Italian and say, "Oh, you're with those spaghettio guys... what do you call them, Italian? Hey, could you kill my friend Frank? Thanks, I'll be over here." If they do, then you're obviously telling retarded people how Italian you are. Why are you doing that, you craping weirdo?

I, like the Italians in question, own a television. And although I may not have solved the mystery of which is it and which is the real non-TV world, I did learn from a popular commercial for pasta sauce that "Italians love life, [they] love love... ah, but most of all... they love PASTA." Certainly with this kind of positive campaign running just a few channels away from the Sopranos, even our very very stupid minds should come out of it with a healthy view of Italian-Americans. Yes, they're criminals and racketeers, but full of passion, ready to fall in love, and completely covered in creamy delicious pasta.

The fact that this case got to the point where it actually made it into a court room means we'll probably see more of them. Case in point, I finally filed my People vs. Wammy lawsuit demanding that Game Show Network reruns of Press Your Luck remove from them all the crappy Wammy cartoons. That's the show where they sit in front of a giant screen of epileptically flashing lights and chatter, "No Wammy, no Wammy, big bucks... STOP!" Then, if we're lucky, a cartoon Wammy comes out and steals all their money. And sometimes they're so cool, like a Wammy on a unicycle tied to a speeding bulldozer will fall onto the contestant's money and then get eaten by a vulture. And you're like, "Take the money, incredible Wammy show! That's totally worth $20,000 in cash, trips, and gaming tables!" But sometimes the Wammy cartoon is just like a boat that drives by and your money disappears. Oooh, that's so great, Press Your Luck. What does a passing boat have to do with losing all your money? Practically nothing! The lawsuit I've filed will put an end to that kind of crap, demanding that all the stupid Wammy shows be digitally altered to fit within specifications of radness that a qualified committee will determine. And also I get sixty two million dollars.

Case Preditions:
Most Americans probably want the lawsuit to get the Sopranos taken off their televisions. We hate it when our shows hypnotize us into hating groups of people. If we would have had lobbyists like these brave Italian-Americans back when Mr. Ed was on the air, we might not have wasted so many lives thinking that horses talked. Whether the lawsuit goes through or not, we may never know what affect the Sopranos has had on our ability to love our brothers. But thanks to this lawsuit, we can say one thing for sure: at least one anti-defamation league of Italian Americans is totally craping stupid and thinks we're stupider.

The case will probably get plea bargained down to forcing HBO to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the show saying, "These people are not trapped in a box. They are moving pictures of people playing make-believe. They did not write this message. I did. Hi, I'm Mike. I work in the editing room here at HBO. But here's my point: Many real-life people are not murderers. Hey, a raisin! There's a raisin in here!"

--Seanbaby
http://www.seanbaby.com

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
Re:Sopranos Fans Check It Out!!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2002 at 12:35 PM »
I thought this was a thread about the Bocelli concert that is being tried to be staged here.  ;D

/1D1H

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
SOPRANOS
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2002 at 11:07 AM »
Does anyone know why The SOPRANOS was excluded from the Emmy's? Most of the HBO shows this year earned nominations except for this one.  Not one nomination, I heard somewhere about a boycott or something.  ??? Can anyone clarify?  :)

Hi Mods! :) I ran this subject through the search function and saw that there's another Sopranos thread, but the link is dead. :-\ So, I'm posting my inquiry here. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re:the sopranos
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2002 at 08:19 PM »
There's no boycott.

THE SOPRANOS received Emmy nominations for its first, second and third seasons in 1999, 2000 and 2001, respectively.

The filming of the fourth season was delayed (I'm guessing due to the 9/11 incident), and this new season only debuts in the US on September 15, 2002 - about six months later than it usually does. Thus the fourth season was ineligible for Emmy nominations, since it hasn't even aired!
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2002 at 07:15 PM »
Wow, thanks Mr. Hanky! :) Akala ko they were ignored by the Emmy-board, or whatever you call them (like they do FRIENDS :( )

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2002 at 12:02 PM »
Who wants Ralphie dead?

SPOILER for SEASON 4...(as lifted from fox news and a Soprano board)

The new season of The Sopranos addresses the World Trade Center attacks and the anthrax scare of last fall. That was made abundantly clear last night at Radio City Music Hall, where 4,000 people got to see episodes 1 and 2 of the long-awaited season.

Fans of the show, of course, were chomping at the bit since series creator David Chase decided to put off the new season for six months. It's been a year and a half since there were new episodes of the show.

But if the first two installments are any indication, season four should be the best ever -- and a big improvement over the last one. The plot lines seem more thought out now, with fewer dangling threads and more resolution. There are even resolved subplots within an episode, which sounds conventional but is actually very satisfying.

The shows we saw were also very funny with a lot of asides and arcane references. Some things we learn this year: the mobsters like to watch Everybody Loves Raymond and Dean Martin Westerns.

In episode 1, not only is the World Trade Center mentioned, but so is the failing economy. Tony Soprano is having trouble making ends meet while Uncle Junior is being drained by legal fees for his upcoming trial. Meanwhile, Carmela -- responding to the sudden losses at the World Trade Center -- is thinking about investments and estate planning. It's the Sopranos' unique take on Sept. 11, and it's handled with grace and subtlety.

Episode 2 concerns Meadow Soprano's decision to take a year off from college and tour Europe. Dr. Melfi suggests sending her to a therapist, played beautifully by guest star Linda Lavin. I will not tell you the outcome. At the same time, Christopher and Adriana are set up by an FBI agent, Paulie Walnuts spends some time in the cooler, and Janice and Ralphie become a couple -- perhaps the most psychotic Boris and Natasha on screen ever.

What will happen? I'll tell you a couple of things that won't harm the surprises ahead. Annabella Sciorra returns as Gloria, Tony's demented lover, a few episodes in. Also, a rivaltry between Ralphie (the great Joe Pantoliano) and Johnny Sack (Vince Curatola) heats up in episode three. I could tell you more but I'd have to kill you."
[/i]

I cannot wait one year....noooooooo!!!!! :(

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2002 at 12:07 PM »
Still on Sopranos... :-[ (Hi! I'm CrUzSACK and I'm a Soprano addict  ;D)

Wanna know your mob nickname? CLICK HERE.  I've got the most unfitting mob nickname - The Lone Drinker. Hehe.

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 09:03 AM »
just finishes season 3..and i have to say that i was a tad dissapointed

talk about a cliffhanger!!!

cant wait for season 4..why doi have a feeling that one of tony's capos will again....sleep with the fishes

...btw, really liked the way steve buscemi directed one of the episodes...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 09:31 AM »
We read in one of the S-forum once, the producer will not hesitate to kill a character, even if he/she's the main star.  Rumor is, there will definitely be one main character who gets killed in season 4. Hope it's not Uncle Junior  ;D.  By the way, Uncle Junior is the P.I. in the movie Unfaithful...he looks different there, mataba or something.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2002 at 09:34 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 09:13 AM »
We read in one of the S-forum once, the producer will not hesitate to kill a character, even if he/she's the main star.  Rumor is, there will definitely be one main character who gets killed in season 4. Hope it's not Uncle Junior  ;D.  By the way, Uncle Junior is the P.I. in the movie Unfaithful...he looks different there, mataba or something.

havent read any of the spoilers but i do believe that the producer will not hesitate to kill a main character as past seasons has shown...

strange shift of character in uncle junior on season 3..he has mellowed down but still has that edge-he's turning out to be one of my faves! also furio-that italian import is turning out to be one tough sob...i hope that gladiator fanatic ralphie dies next season...

i would guess that either paulie, christopher or even janice would get the boot next season...

...if u know what happens..dont tell  me :)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 04:13 PM »
Furio looks more like a Chinese Mafia than an Italian Mafia, hehehe.  And in one fansite, Furio has a lot of women Soprano fans who swoon over him and they would like it if he gets more exposure in Season 4 ---SPOILER: Like an "Amour Fou" with Carmela  ;D Uncle Junior has always been my favorite.  ;D

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2002 at 11:50 PM »
just finished viewing season 3, i mostly stayed up late since i did not want my daughter to see and hear the violence and those 4 letter words 8)

i wasn't able to follow the 3rd season when it was aired in hbo so most of this was new to me. i basically watched 1 dvd per night, though i was tempted at times to view the next dvd, when they left things hanging in the air... :)

thank god it's just 3 more days for season #4

by the way...that meadow seems to be turning into a fox! :D

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2002 at 11:51 PM by bently »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2002 at 11:57 AM »

Just don't let Meadow whine ::) ;D.... AJ's looking better also, two years time and he'll look like the "bad boy" most girls will fall for. :)

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2002 at 11:03 AM »
just finished viewing season 3, i mostly stayed up late since i did not want my daughter to see and hear the violence and those 4 letter words 8)

i wasn't able to follow the 3rd season when it was aired in hbo so most of this was new to me. i basically watched 1 dvd per night, though i was tempted at times to view the next dvd, when they left things hanging in the air... :)

thank god it's just 3 more days for season #4

www.ew.com reports that jamie will be marrying her manager/bf this year...hope the guy knows what he's doing..heard that the actors playing his dad, silvio and paulie are overly protected when it comes to "medow"

baka matulad sha kay jackie jr. bwahahaha

..dont find her hot though..pero type ko si adriana

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
'SOPRANOS' SMASHES 30-YEAR RECORD
« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 03:29 PM »
This show is goooood...

'SOPRANOS' SMASHES 30-YEAR RECORD
By MICHAEL STARR
------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 18, 2002 -- Sunday's season premiere of "The
Sopranos" was the most-watched show in HBO's 30-year history
- and whacked every network show in its time slot.

The fourth-season premiere averaged 7.9 million households -
that's a whopping 13.4 million viewers - from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m.,
as the mobsters-on-Prozac series returned after a 16-month
hiatus.

More impressive is that HBO is seen in only one- third the
homes that get ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox - and "The Sopranos"
beat its competition on all those networks.

The show even bested ESPN's traditionally top-rated Sunday-
night NFL game, which averaged 11.3 million viewers.

And the 13.4 million viewers who watched "The Sopranos" on
Sunday dwarfed the number for last season's premiere, which
netted 11.3 million viewers in 6.8 million households.

On Sunday's show, mob boss Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini)
dealt with money problems (both with Uncle Junior and wife
Carmella); his wild-child daughter, Meadow (Jamie-Lynn Sigler),
was deciding what to do with her life; and Christopher (Michael
Imperioli) continued to take care of business (and feed a
growing drug habit).

Also back was Tony's wacky sister, Janice (Aida Turturro) and
the rest of the "Sopranos" crew, including Paulie Walnuts (Tony
Sirico), in jail in Ohio; Silvio (Steven Van Zandt); and Ralph (Joe
Pantoliano).

"The Sopranos" had been off the air since wrapping its third
season in May 2001.

Series creator David Chase said he needed more time to sculpt
a fourth season, and his efforts appear to have paid off.

The mobsters easily blew away their rivals.

After the ESPN game came NBC's "Law & Order: Criminal
Intent," with 10.8 million viewers, followed by Fox's "The Lost
World" (9.4 million viewers), and ABC's "Notting Hill" (7.9
million).

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2002 at 04:07 PM »
Just finished downloading Season 4, Episode 1 and am about to watch it.

Wala, gusto ko lang inggitin si CrUzSACK.  ;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 20, 2002 at 04:21 PM »
Haha. :P PAHIRAM! :D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2002 at 02:09 PM »

Following that premise, then bently, I'd suggest you don't miss tonight's episode of THE SOPRANOS... Meadow spends the first few minutes in a very revealing bikini top.  ::)

I've seen the first three episodes of Season Four, and so far, I'm not too impressed. Episode Three is particularly weak - I think they shouldn't let Michael Imperioli write too many episodes. But I did like the way that episode takes on the anti-Sopranos sentiments of the Italian-American groups in the States.

EPISODE TWO SPOILER (Highlight to read):

I'm really bummed by the development in Adriana's subplot. Looks like by the end of the Season, she'll join Big Pussy and be sleeping with the fishes... :(

END OF SPOILER

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 03:10 PM »
I just finished the 4-DVD set of the 1st season.  Galing!  

Laugh trip talaga si Tony!  ;D

And how about Dr. Melfi..... she is one nice lady!  ;)

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2002 at 09:44 AM »
Meadow is in that new Mariah Carey video.

Anybody saw it?

[shadow=GRAY,left,300]PARC[/shadow]

Offline lil_jinx

• Apprentice
  • ribit
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2002 at 05:16 PM »
i just saw the 1st and 2nd eps really worth watching. tony was hilarious. wish they show it here.