Author Topic: MMFF 2015  (Read 12093 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
MMFF 2015
« on: Dec 18, 2015 at 06:03 PM »
For both the New Wave and Mainstream entries:

New Wave:

ARI: My Life with a King   
Mandirigma   L
Tandem   
Toto   
Turo-Turo

Short films
Daisy - Brian Reyes
Ding Mangasyas (Tough Guys) - Justine Emmanuel Dizon
Lapis - Maricel Cariaga
Momento - Jan-Kyle Nieva
Mumu - Jean Cheryl Tagyamon

Animated films
8 - Johanna Kay Boncodin
Buttons- Marvel Obemio, Francis Ramirez & Jared Garcia
Geo - John Aurthur Mercader
Little Lights - Rivelle Mallari
Marvino's League of Superheroes - Ja Marti Escandor

Mainstream:
All You Need Is Pag-Ibig   
Beauty and the Bestie   
Buy Now, Die Later
Haunted Mansion   
Honor Thy Father   
My Bebe Love: #KiligPaMore   
Nilalang   
Walang Forever

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: MMFF 2015
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2015 at 08:15 PM »
Tandem (King Palisoc) **1/2 - Two brothers ride around in tandem (hence the title) in a motorcycle robbing people (which actually is a real modus operandi of criminals over here, where they snatch bags from unsuspecting pedestrians), get deeper into darker territory when they find themselves entangled with a couple of corrupt cops. This has been an emerging sub-genre of Filipino independent films: the bleak crime drama which can be amazing but this feels a bit old hat now. Though well-acted and well-made overall, this film shows that even indies can fall into formula. Overall, it's an okay film that didn't really blow me away.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2015 at 09:56 PM »
Ari: My Life with the King (Carlo Enciso Catu) ***1/2 -  A teenage boy finds himself hanging out with an eccentric old man considered the "king of the poets" in Pampanga, a province in the Philippines during his summer vacation. While there, he learns about the art of poetry, language, culture and life. I saw this little film during the "new wave" section at the Metro Manila Film Festival. This is a lovely little film. Don't let the fact that it's about a poet intimidate you. It is surprisingly quite entertaining, funny and unexpectedly profound. There's a scene which reminds me of 8 Mile with seniors in a way and it's worth seeing just for that. 

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2015 at 10:08 AM »
I don't have a problem that the local movie industry keeps on making crappy MMFF films. What I hate is the block schedule during the xmas season where you don't have any choice but these turds. Give me my Star Wars!
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2015 at 10:08 AM by sientobente »

Offline snobol68

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • DVD Addict
  • "World of surround sounds"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2015 at 11:58 AM »
sa bonficaio high street ata sir, 4dx cinemas showing Star Wars, dont know on other cinemas
"Great movies and sounds will depend on personal perspective...."

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2015 at 01:08 PM »
All the IMAX theaters are still showing Star Wars.

FYI: The one MMFF film to see, according to the critical consensus, is Honor Thy Father.

Offline zram18

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2015 at 03:12 PM »
MMFF movies are such a waste of time. kulang sa quality as compared to hollywood films. mas maganda pa nga mga pelikula ng India (bollywood movies). just my opinion po.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2015 at 07:18 PM »
These days, most of them are. But there are about one....MAYBE two that are not a complete waste of time.

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2015 at 07:22 PM »
MMFF movies are such a waste of time. kulang sa quality as compared to hollywood films. mas maganda pa nga mga pelikula ng India (bollywood movies). just my opinion po.

imho, medyo nagiimprove na ng knte.. with honor thy father sana more films like this would be included in future mmffs.. syempre ndi pdn mawawala mga cheap comedies kindi mawawala kita..

plus they included new wave indie films a week before the mainstream event.. now on its second year.. they are quite decent films there.. sayang wasnt able to catch the shorts and animated features though..

Offline deweyfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2015 at 02:58 AM »
I don't have a problem that the local movie industry keeps on making crappy MMFF films. What I hate is the block schedule during the xmas season where you don't have any choice but these turds. Give me my Star Wars!

Careful with what you wish for, lest Kris Aquino unleash Derek Ramsay to perform his MMA moves on your body

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2015 at 04:46 PM »
Careful with what you wish for, lest Kris Aquino unleash Derek Ramsay to perform his MMA moves on your body
I actually feel bad for those watching these movies. Just like my son's yaya. We gave them the day-off during xmas, then they watched that Aldub movie. They came home last night saying sayang sa pera. Ang corny daw!  For them, spending that much money is a big deal. Then we will just see Vic Sotto after robbing these poor people laugh all his way to the bank. The cycle goes on, he will surely release another crappy movie next year. Mabuti nalang nakulong na si Bong Revilla. Isa pa yun.

Offline Kier

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MMFF 2015
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2015 at 04:58 PM »
Different story with my kasambahay, a truly aldub fan, 3 beses inulit yung movie and for the 3rd time pumapalakpak pa rin daw sya. LOL
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2015 at 04:59 PM by Kier »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2015 at 08:22 PM »
I've seen Honor Thy Father (my review to follow). Arguably the only REAL movie of the festival:

« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2015 at 08:23 PM by Klaus Weasley »

Offline hennry sy

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2015 at 08:41 PM »
Different story with my kasambahay, a truly aldub fan, 3 beses inulit yung movie and for the 3rd time pumapalakpak pa rin daw sya. LOL

She paid three times to watch thrice? Wow!

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2015 at 09:20 PM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 12:00 AM »
Honor Thy Father (Erik Matti) ***1/2 - I consider this probably the best Filipino film of 2015 and is probably director Erik Matti's, who I consider to be one of the best mainstream Filipino directors working today, best work. A superb crime thriller/neo-noir about a man who must go back to his criminal family past after his wife and father-in-law gets their family into trouble scamming investors, one of whom happens to belong to a person of power. So he attempts to rob a megachurch's building fund. A truly superb film, with John Lloyd Cruz and Meryll Soriano giving top-notch performances and supported ably by Tirso Cruz III who plays a Joel Osteen-meets-L. Ron Hubbard type of pastor. The cinematography is outstanding. It's a thriller that actually thrills where you really don't know where it's going to go, and where it goes is surprising and rather daring! It's the Metro Manila Film Festival and films showing are mostly shameless commercial cash grabs. We need more of this type of film. If you're in Manila, SEE IT. 

Offline Kier

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 09:26 AM »
Inulit ulit lang with in the day, paid once and watch it thrice.

She paid three times to watch thrice? Wow!

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 09:50 AM »
MMFF, in my opinion is only for entertaining the masses during Christmas season. Last night, I watched My Pabebe Love, not for me but for my 9 year old daughter. She enjoyed it so much. That, for me is priceless.
Apple enthusiast. PlayStation Addict

Offline hennry sy

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 09:59 AM »
MMFF, in my opinion is only for entertaining the masses during Christmas season. Last night, I watched My Pabebe Love, not for me but for my 9 year old daughter. She enjoyed it so much. That, for me is priceless.

I think this justifies the reason for MMFF's continued existence.  As an adult, medyo critical na ako of these films, setting various standards.   Forgetting that kids have no such preconception of whats bad in a film basta they enjoyed it, laughed to it.  It's precious to be a kid, nice to be one again.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2015 at 10:00 AM by hennry sy »

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 10:03 AM »

I think this justifies the reason for MMFF's continued existence.  As an adult, medyo critical na ako of these films, setting various standards.   Forgetting that kids have no such preconception of whats bad in a film basta they enjoyed it, laughed to it.  It's precious to be a kid, nice to be one again.

Spot on bro. My daughter told me after the movie, daddy bitin! For me, the movie was so bad, full of product endorsements etc. but seeing my daughter laughing and enjoying her time, is really priceless.
Apple enthusiast. PlayStation Addict

Offline Hitman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 02:32 PM »
Wala yatang entry si er ejercito?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 04:03 PM »

For me, that's not an excuse. Kahit na alam mo na pambata or pang-masa, kahit alam mo na kikita yan dahil may pangalan ka, may built-in audience ka na at wala kang kalaban na foreign film, para sa akin, you should at least put in more thought and effort into your film.

I'm very troubled by the big box-office of stuff like My Bebe Love which is heavy on commercials. It sends the message that they don't have to put in any effort to make a good film. Just throw in AlDub, throw in some commercials, kikita ka.

I'm also equally troubled by the fact that films that I consider to be the best MMFF films of recent years:  RPG Metanoia, Boy Golden, Kubot: The Aswang Chronicles 2 and now Honor Thy Father are often kulelat in terms of box-office.

This proves na wala nang incentive to make a good film. Basta si Bossing ka o si KathNiel o JaDine ka, si Vice Ganda ka, kikita ang movie mo kahit na basura ang pelikula mo. Problema naman diyan, a lot of these people do not make en effort to make their films actually good. They have the attitude of "eh, pambata naman yan eh" o "pangmasa naman yan eh".

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 05:29 PM »
Saw Honor Thy Father. It's definitely the best of this year's MMFF entries and one of the top Filipino movies of 2015, quality wise. Good acting & production values. I wish more people get to watch & support this, same as what happened to indies Heneral Luna & That Thing Called Tadhana. Hope it gets bought for US distribution, so we can get a Blu-ray release.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM »
Tingin ko, ganito rin sa pelikula.  Inaakma na rin para sa taste ng mas nakakarami, pinakamarami.  Gumigitna lang ang mga producer.  Ikaw na rin ang nagsabi na yung may mga saysay na pelikula ay di naman kumikita (pwera na lang sa Heneral Luna siguro).  Ang nanonood sa MMFF ay kadalasan bata at sabi mo nga, ang masa so pagbigyan na muna natin. 

If you look at the highest grossing films of all time around the world, most of them (with the exception of maybe Transformers and Twilight movies) also have good reviews from critics and are generally considered good films.

Para sa akin, insulto at mababa ang tingin sa audience ang gumawa ka ng pelikulang basura at sasbihin mo na "pambata" o "pangmasa". Pwede naman gumawa ng pambatang at pangmasang pelikula na kalidad at maganda.

I'm not a fan of AlDub however I think Vic Sotto and company are being very insulting to their audience when they inundate their movie with flagrant commercial advertisements. It's an AlDub movie starring Vic Sotto and it will be in MMFF. They *know* that it's guaranteed to make money. Why not TRY and make it decent by not basically spitting on the face of its PAYING audience by inundating them with ads? 

Unfortunately, based on its box-office, the Filipino audience is basically confirming that they will take any crap that Vic Sotto shovels into their mouths and take it. They've been brainwashed to not call b.s. on the flagrant product placements and advertisements.

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM »
MMFF oraganizers should seriously consider having two sections:

1. Popular Exhibition
2. Festival Competition
    a. Main Competition
    b. New Wave
    c. Short Films

The likes of My Bebe Love, Beauty & the Bestie & others should be under Popular Exhibitions while the likes of Honor Thy Father & others can be on the Main Competition.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2015 at 11:32 PM »
Awards winners:

Best Picture: Walang Forever
Best Actor: Jericho Rosales (Walang Forever)
Best Actress: Jennylyn Mercado (Walang Forever)
2015 Gat Puno J. Villegas Cultural Award: My Bebe Love: #KiligPaMore
2nd Best Picture: Buy Now, Die Later
3rd Best Picture: My Bebe Love: #KiligPaMore
Best Supporting Actress: Maine Mendoza (My Bebe Love)
Best Supporting Actor: Tirso Cruz III (Honor Thy Father)
Best Director: Erik Matti (Honor Thy Father)
Best Screenplay: (Walang Forever)
Best Story: Dan Villegas and Antoinette Jadaone (Walang Forever)
Male Celebrity of the Night: Cesar Montano
Female Celebrity of the Night: Jennylyn Mercado
FPJ Memorial Award for Excellence: Walang Forever
Best Cinematography: Pao Orendain (Nilalang)
Best Film Editor: Jason Cahapay (Nilalang)
Best Production Design: (Buy Now, Die Later)
Best Visual Effects: (Nilalang)
Best Make-up Artist: Ryan Panaligan (Honor Thy Father)
Best Original Theme Song: Tao by Armi Millare (Honor Thy Father)
Best Musical Score: Jessy Lazatin (Nilalang)
Best Sound: Ditoy Aguila (Nilalang)
New Wave Best Feature Film: Ari: My Life with a King
New Wave Special Jury: Toto
Manila Bulletin Best Feature Film: Ari: My Life with a King (New Wave)
New Wave Best Director: John Paul Su (Toto)
New Wave Best Actor: Francisco Guinto (Ari) & JM De Guzman (Tandem)
New Wave Best Screenplay: Robby Tantingco (Ari)
New Wave Best Supporting Actor: Thou Reyes (Toto)
New Wave Best Supporting Actress: Bibeth Orteza (Toto)
Best Child Performer: Krystal Brimmer (Honor Thy Father)
Best Festival Float: Buy Now, Die Later
New Wave Short Film Jury Prize: Daisy
New Wave Short Film Best Picture: Mumu
New Wave Animation Best Picture: Buttons
New Wave Animation Special Jury Prize: Little Lights

Offline skoivan

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2015 at 12:51 AM »
Antoinette Jadaone has been tearing it up lately.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2015 at 12:52 AM »
MMFF oraganizers should seriously consider having two sections:

1. Popular Exhibition
2. Festival Competition
    a. Main Competition
    b. New Wave
    c. Short Films

The likes of My Bebe Love, Beauty & the Bestie & others should be under Popular Exhibitions while the likes of Honor Thy Father & others can be on the Main Competition.

I propose two simple solutions to solve the MMFF:

1. Take it away from the MMDA and give it back to Mowelfund/CCP.

2. Lift the embargo on foreign/non-MMFF films.

I think doing one, the other or both will lift the quality of the MMFF line-ups.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2015 at 04:02 PM »