Author Topic: Small, large, crossover points etc..  (Read 1231 times)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
Small, large, crossover points etc..
« on: Jan 05, 2016 at 09:49 PM »
 Lately i have been toying with a 5.1 receiver while still using a 2 speakers. Speakers are Usher X-719, fairly substantial bookshelves with 7 inch woofers. I setup my fronts to small and set the crossover to 50 Hz, Now every time I change the crossover point to say 60,70,80Hz.. i get an increase in bass response without changing anything else except the crossover point. Is this the way its suppose to work ? My understanding is that when changing crossover points, the bass is divided at the crossover points between Fronts and subwoofer, but the actual bass response should stay the same. Is this correct ?

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Small, large, crossover points etc..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2016 at 10:21 PM »
my humble opinion sir.  your bass response remains the same even when you change xover points (same slope) IF you, initially, had a flat response between the fronts and sub.  Im guessing in your case your sub is playing louder than your fronts (either your tuning or FS limitation of your fronts).  hence, when you increase the crossover point, the sub, which plays louder at 50hz/60hz or 80hz.  to verify, try to compare 50hz and 40hz.  if bass deminish, then this theory is correct.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016 at 10:24 PM by cyberdraven »
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 12:29 PM »
The room responds differently too. It is different for mains and sub. Strive to have the lowest xover point and still having the bass you want. Just tune best you can.

Offline majoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 01:35 PM »
kung 2.1 setup mo, issue yan sa low frequency cancellation ng sub at woofer.

try mo adjust ang phase angle o cut off frequency ng subwoofer kung meron. kung wala, hanapan mo na lang ng tamang location ang sub.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 01:42 PM »
Now every time I change the crossover point to say 60,70,80Hz.. i get an increase in bass response without changing anything else except the crossover point. Is this the way its suppose to work?
NO. Possible reasons:
1. Sub level is higher than the mains.
2. Sub response begins to taper above 50hz (typical of small sealed subs), more dB over 50hz.
3. Sub is closer to floor/wall and reacts to boundary reinforcement more effectively than the mains.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 02:56 PM »
Here is what i got from AVS

The signal being sent is the same, but the 15 inch subwoofer is better equipped to deliver those frequencies compared to the 7 inch mid-woofer. parang nag change ka from 5 inch speaker to a 12 inch speaker, same volume level, louder output from the larger speaker

Offline majoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2016 at 04:10 PM »
Here is what i got from AVS

The signal being sent is the same, but the 15 inch subwoofer is better equipped to deliver those frequencies compared to the 7 inch mid-woofer. parang nag change ka from 5 inch speaker to a 12 inch speaker, same volume level, louder output from the larger speaker

tama nga. iba talaga bass delivery ng malaking driver.  akala ko humina lang bass ng front dahil may problema sa setup ng subwoofer.