Author Topic: Minix NEO U1  (Read 2431 times)

Offline biggus_dickus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Minix NEO U1
« on: Jan 17, 2016 at 02:49 AM »
Hi.. just saw this today in Vmall and it looks promising. :)  True 4k video playback - HVEC 10-bit with HDMI 2.0 for 4k@60hz.  It costs just 6k compared to the Nvidia Shield TV which is around 14k I think for the 16GB and 18500 for the 500GB Pro model.

There also seems to be a big difference in performance however, so I guess if you're planning to do more than just media consumption, then the Nvidia Shield TV would still be a better choice.  However, the Minix NEO U1 seems mighty tempting. :)  I have a Minix X7 myself and it's getting long in the tooth.  6K seems very reasonable to me compared to 18500. :)

Will still do more research but if you guys already have this model, please share your reviews! :)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: Minix NEO U1
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2016 at 03:03 AM »
Nice! Which shop has it?

Offline nallasartal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2016 at 07:51 AM »
I think Minix Neo U1 has to be given consideration especially since iboum.com has ranked it No. 1 among 798 nmts.... http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php?sort=sortrating&year=&bigtype=&chip=&res=&bd=&dvbt=&3D=&51d=&51p=&71d=&71p=&fan=&lan=&ppp=&dvd=&ppp=&sparam=&ikey=&pg=1&rp=srate

Offline biggus_dickus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2016 at 01:02 PM »
Nice! Which shop has it?

I forgot.  I was just walking along the 3rd floor of Vmall when I saw it.  I was tempted to get it already yesterday but wanted to pause and think about it first after I've seen/read the reviews.  I might be dropping by again later to Vmall to check it out again.

Offline biggus_dickus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2016 at 01:09 PM »
The reviews that I've read are mostly positive but keep your expectations in check.  Compared to other NMT's, it looks like this trumps all other AMLogic CPUs out there.  But compared to the mighty Nvidia Shield TV, there's just no contest in terms of performance.  But for most of us here, I think the Minix NEO U1 would be adequate for our needs.  Kodi 16 is still buggy as it's still in Beta.  No word on Kodi 15.2 performance yet.  Of course, if you have hundreds of thousands of pesos invested in your AV setup, I think you'd be better of going for something much better, damn the cost.

Offline rai.dvd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2016 at 05:46 PM »
Sir biggus any update? Did you get one? Planning to get this too.. In case you now remember the store in VMall, let us know thanks! ;D

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2016 at 06:01 PM »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2016 at 06:10 PM »
Maybe a bit OT, but somewhat related. Meron bang Android Media Player that supports AC3 and DTS??? And bitstreaming perhaps?
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline onepaks

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Minix NEO U1
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2016 at 06:12 PM »
Got mine from Vmall. Brilliant technologies yung name ng shop.

Got this mainly because of 2.0 hdmi. So far all my media including few 4ks are playing well.

So far ok naman. But I'm just having a hard time because first time ko to hold an android device. First time kodi user din ako. Basically all I do with it is use kodi and play the movies. That's it. I know android has a lot to offer but I'm sure as time goes by, I'll get the hang of it.

Another thing is Netflix won't stream HD. So I don't use it for Netflix. But on my ps3 and apple tv, may hd. Does it have to do with the minix?
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2016 at 06:13 PM by onepaks »

Offline biggus_dickus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2016 at 01:31 PM »
Another thing is Netflix won't stream HD. So I don't use it for Netflix. But on my ps3 and apple tv, may hd. Does it have to do with the minix?

Yes, it has to do with the Minix device.  Netflix will only stream HD on Netflix-certified devices and Minix is not one of them.  Netflix will play HD on PS3, Sony Android TVs, etc because they worked with Netflix to make sure that their hardware is capable.

Offline majoe

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2016 at 02:12 PM »
overall, mas ok ba ito sa MiniX Neo X8-H Plus 16GB 4K ?

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2016 at 03:20 PM »
The U1 has the newer Amlogic S905 chipset which makes it capable of playing 4K@60fps 10-bit video while the X8-H Plus has the older Amlogic S805 which is only capable of 4K@30fps 8-bit video. So it's more capable 4K video wise and it's also cheaper.

Offline onepaks

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Minix NEO U1
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2016 at 03:26 PM »
I had this problem this morning

I decided to erase entire library. Scanned it  again and movies began playing again but when I turned off my minix and took out the external hard drive and put it back again same problem

Am I missing something
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016 at 03:27 PM by onepaks »

Offline biggus_dickus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2016 at 04:14 PM »
^see my reply to your post in the other thread.

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2016 at 05:33 PM »
For those who want to buy this item, available in Lazada 5.9k+. Fulfilled by Villman.