Author Topic: MINIX NEO U1 Review  (Read 47400 times)

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: MINIX NEO U1 Review
« Reply #150 on: Dec 07, 2016 at 10:08 PM »
Guys any recommended GamePad controller for U1?
gusto ko kasing mag classic games like Super Mario 3, Metal Slug etc  O0

BTW. ganda ng controller app nito. super thumbs up  ;D may mouse, keyboard, multimedia, etc.
kaya parang nag aalangan ako sa A2 lite. 1.5k rin kasi un.

i use a ps3 controller

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 12:42 AM »
Got myself an Ipega PG-9068 last saturday, it worked well with the U1 :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline onepaks

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 12:41 PM »
Recently purchased one.

I have a couple of questions.

I connected the minix to my soundbar which is jbl sb300 via optical. Then under audio settings of minix, I set the digital connection to spdf. Is that correct? Or dapat pcm? Then sa audio setting naman of kodi, I turn on the enabled pass through  and highlighted all the possible sound codec like dts and Dolby digital. Then under the number of speakers I click 7.1 because I have a lot of movies that are 7.1 sounds. Although my jbl supports dts and Dolby digital, it's only a 2.1 system. When I do this there's is no sound. I tried to lower it to 5.1, wala parin. It only works in 2.0. Is it because the sound bar has only 2 channels? It won't matter if your source and your player can support 7.1.

Another thing when I enable pass through, every time a use the remote of the kodi to lower the volume, it gives a loud hissing. So what I do is I use nalang the remote of the jbl. But it works fine when I disable the enable pass through.

Last is why the video output on my 4k lg shows 24kps where my source is 60?

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #153 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 12:59 PM »
Recently purchased one.

I have a couple of questions.

I connected the minix to my soundbar which is jbl sb300 via optical. Then under audio settings of minix, I set the digital connection to spdf. Is that correct? Or dapat pcm? Then sa audio setting naman of kodi, I turn on the enabled pass through  and highlighted all the possible sound codec like dts and Dolby digital. Then under the number of speakers I click 7.1 because I have a lot of movies that are 7.1 sounds. Although my jbl supports dts and Dolby digital, it's only a 2.1 system. When I do this there's is no sound. I tried to lower it to 5.1, wala parin. It only works in 2.0. Is it because the sound bar has only 2 channels? It won't matter if your source and your player can support 7.1.

Another thing when I enable pass through, every time a use the remote of the kodi to lower the volume, it gives a loud hissing. So what I do is I use nalang the remote of the jbl. But it works fine when I disable the enable pass through.

spdif does not have enough bandwidth to support 5,1 surround.

Did you enable frame switching in kodi? or spmc?  this switches frame rates acording to source.

The best you can hope for your sound bar is virtual surround.  Basically your soundbar have the chip to emulate 5.1 surround sound from stereo source.  It just have to bounce of sounds from your walls to achieve that effect.

In short even if you can pass the 5.1 signal through the spdif. It wont really be 5.1 since a 5.1 setup requires rear speakers and center.

I cannot figure why you want to send 5.1 signals to a 2.0 speakers anyway.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:08 PM by DPT »

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:05 PM »

spdif does not have enough bandwidth to support 5,1 surround.

Did you enable frame switching in kodi? or spmc?  this switches frame rates acording to source
Sorry how do I enable frame switching in kodi and spmc?

So what's the best audio setting I will do to maximize the sound

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:09 PM »
Sorry how do I enable frame switching in kodi and spmc?

So what's the best audio setting I will do to maximize the sound

The best you can hope for your sound bar is virtual surround.  Basically your soundbar have the chip to emulate 5.1 surround sound from stereo source.  It just have to bounce off sounds from your walls to achieve that effect.

In short even if you can pass the 5.1 signal through the spdif. It wont really be 5.1 since a 5.1 setup requires rear speakers and center.

I cannot figure why you want to send 5.1 signals to a 2.0 speakers anyway. Virtual surround is basically targeted for small rooms where you have no space for an AV receiver and wires + speakers for  a 5.1 setup.

I cannot tell how to do it in kodi since I am using a SPMC build targeted specifically to my Nvidia shield box.  But  frame rate switching is an important thing when for Video viewing.   

Try looking at system - video - playback.

But I am sure it under system. I cannot recall where.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:19 PM by DPT »

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:14 PM »

The best you can hope for your sound bar is virtual surround.  Basically your soundbar have the chip to emulate 5.1 surround sound from stereo source.  It just have to bounce of sounds from your walls to achieve that effect.

I cannot figure why you want to send 5.1 signals to a 2.0 speakers anyway.

So basically my setting is just correct or it just doesn't matter since 2.0 lang my speaker? Just chose spdif, enable pass through and just select 2.0, it will just be the same. So if I change my soundbar which I'm planning to do to a 5.1 soundbar with 4k pass through, then what setting I need?

What about the frame switching?

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:27 PM »
So basically my setting is just correct or it just doesn't matter since 2.0 lang my speaker? Just chose spdif, enable pass through and just select 2.0, it will just be the same. So if I change my soundbar which I'm planning to do to a 5.1 soundbar with 4k pass through, then what setting I need?

I cannot tell how to do it in kodi since I am using a SPMC build targeted specifically to my Nvidia shield box.  But  frame rate switching is an important thing when for Video viewing.   

A full 5.1 surround setup usually involves using HDMI. 

Again. Your soundbar cannot decode 5.1 signal unless it has a real 5.1 surround decoder chip in it and not just  surround emulator chip.  If your sound bar is 2.1. I do not think it has a real 5.1 surround decoder.   There are soundbar that says they have real 5.1 decoder chip but so far they have its own issues.

Basically your soundbar receivers a  2.0 signal from your Spdif cable and do some processing with its built in chip  to output sound at different timings to emulate 5.1 surround sound.

If you want real surround sound either you get a  AV receiver with all the 5.1 surround format support. Or a HTPC with a soundcard with  rear, center , front speakers out  + amplifier.

Usually people get an AV receiver to simplify things.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:31 PM by DPT »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:34 PM »

if you have a 5.1 sound bar that can decode un modified signal from your source. All you have to do is pass the signal raw and the 5.1 sound bar will do the splitting and sending the signal/sound to the correct speaker in the 5.1 setup.

Your current setup does not do pass through since I am guessing your soundbar does not anything to output video to the TV.

Pass through as I understand is involves HDMI In your decoder box/AV as well as HMDI out. The signal passes your AV/Decoder box where it takes/strips the 5.1 signal/7.1 signal to output to speakers then sends the rest of the video signal to your TV.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:38 PM by DPT »

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:35 PM »

A full 5.1 surround setup usually involves using HDMI. 

Again. Your soundbar cannot decode 5.1 signal unless it has a real 5.1 surround decoder chip in it and not just  surround emulator chip.  If your sound bar is 2.1. I do not think it has a real 5.1 surround decoder.   There are soundbar that says they have real 5.1 decoder chip but so far they have its own issues.

Basically your soundbar receivers a  2.0 signal from your Spdif cable and do some processing with its built in chip  to output sound at different timings to emulate 5.1 surround sound.

If you want real surround sound either you get a  AV receiver with all the 5.1 surround format support. Or a HTPC with a soundcard with  rear, center , front speakers out  + amplifier.

Usually people get an AV receiver to simplify things.
Ok thanks for the help. Will probably upgrade my soundbar to get better sound. Will keep in mind those things you said

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:41 PM »
Ok thanks for the help. Will probably upgrade my soundbar to get better sound. Will keep in mind those things you said

if you have a small room you can use your 2.0. Sounds but it will be muddy though because the movie   conversations will be outputted int he same speakers are the rest of the sound.

Not all people need 5.1 setup.  Virtual surround is pretty good if you have a small room and less complicated too. All you need is a RCA cable/ Aux to carry the stereo signal.

The minimum for a small room is a 3.1 sound bar.  Where the conversation is being outputted in a separate speakers for clarity.

2.0 soundbars are marketed to people who are more into listening music than watching movies.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016 at 01:44 PM by DPT »

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #161 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 04:13 PM »
it's okay to "pass-through" audio from NMT's or bluray's to your 2ch soundbar.  it means that you're allowing the soundbar to process your audio codecs.  if this doesn't work, just disable the audio pass-though.

though soundbars has minimum 2.1 configuration, any 6ch or 8ch audio codec inputs will be down-mixed to 3ch (including the LFE) of the soundbar.  then select an outut mode like, virtual or cinema (depends on which) available on your soundbar.

with KODI or SPMC, configure in Systems --> Settings --> Audio and set the number of speakers available on your soundbar.  or as mentioned, leave it as is and disable the audio pass-through.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 04:19 PM »
to add: S/PDIF is as capable on relaying audio information as HDMI.  except that S/PDIF is maximum of 6ch only.  whereas HDMI can relay more that 6ch audio information.

I guess the more comparable to S/PDIF is the Digital COAX.  for practicality, I used digital coax cable during my early years in HT since it is much less expensive than S/PDIF cable.

Offline azzileur

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #163 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 04:30 PM »

Check this thread and the rest of the guides and FAQs.
http://www.minixforum.com/threads/self-adaptive-refresh-rate-switching.9531/

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #164 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 04:32 PM »

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 05:18 PM »
Thanks for the input.

Anyway it's about time naman to upgrade my soundbar since I upgraded my TV and media player. Target is 5.1 or 7.1 capable with 4k pass through. Looking at Sony st-7 or st-5.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 06:17 PM »
^ good decision to upgrade for a full  HT experience.  your jbl sb300 has no DTS decoder, right?

means, if you play a movie with a DTS audio on your new Minix U1 connected to your JBL soundbar, there will be no sound, am I correct?

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 06:22 PM »
Thanks for the input.

Anyway it's about time naman to upgrade my soundbar since I upgraded my TV and media player. Target is 5.1 or 7.1 capable with 4k pass through. Looking at Sony st-7 or st-5.

Alot of people fought trying to get true 5.1 sound HD without using HDMI with receiver and lost.

A soundbar is a upsized Tv speakers basically. Unless you have rear center front speakers. It will always just be Virtual 5.1.  All sounds will be coming from the front and it will be erratic unless you tune your room to work with Virtual surround.

Philipps? or was it JBL or sonos have a modular upgradable soundbar to True 5.1 sound if I remembered it correctly. Where you buy the basic unit and get the rear speakers as an addon.

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 06:29 PM »
^ good decision to upgrade for a full  HT experience.  your jbl sb300 has no DTS decoder, right?

means, if you play a movie with a DTS audio on your new Minix U1 connected to your JBL soundbar, there will be no sound, am I correct?
I believe it has dts. There is a sound when I play a movie that's encoded with dts.

Offline Oloap

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #169 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 06:30 PM »
Alot of people fought trying to get true 5.1 sound HD without using HDMI with receiver and lost.

A soundbar is a upsized Tv speakers basically. Unless you have rear center front speakers. It will always just be Virtual 5.1.  All sounds will be coming from the front and it will be erratic unless you tune your room to work with Virtual surround.

Philipps? or was it JBL or sonos have a modular upgradable soundbar to True 5.1 sound if I remembered it correctly. Where you buy the basic unit and get the rear speakers as an addon.

Golden Ear?

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 07:01 PM »
Golden Ear?

Why not make the most of the money you spent.  Alot will get discontented fast if they heard something better than the current one they have even though there is totally nothing wrong with what they have.

He will be spending more than 500$ for a sound bar to emulate surround sound.  Unless he is totally fine with that.

In the end it is his money and choice.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Dec 12, 2016 at 07:42 PM »
I believe it has dts. There is a sound when I play a movie that's encoded with dts.

I see, pardon sir.  it's JBL sb350 (newer model) the one without a DTS decoder...  thanks!

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #172 on: Jan 17, 2017 at 04:13 PM »
My airmouse for the Minix U1 just died. On-off button nalang ang gumagana. Has anyone experienced this?

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Jan 17, 2017 at 04:18 PM »
so far mine still works, normal a2. are you using a2 or a2 lite?.

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #174 on: Jan 17, 2017 at 04:50 PM »
I use the a2 lite boss. I think the dongle is the problem. It can't read the remote's signal.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2017 at 05:17 PM by mars »

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #175 on: Jan 25, 2017 at 08:17 AM »
Just bought a 55" Samsung UHD 4k TV, which has a Digital Audio Out (Optical). Previously I used my minix u1 to a 40" Samsung without the Optical Audio, and I have a LG Home Theater (HT) which has a Digital Audio (Optical) and I used connect my Minix to the LG HT for its audio output.

My question is: If I connect my Minix U1 to my 55" Samsung TV thru HDMI, and then to transfer audio/sound of a movie file from my Minix U1  to the LG Home Theater, would it be possible through the Digital Audio Out (Optical) of my 55" Samsung TV?  I hope that someone can understand my question....

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Jan 25, 2017 at 08:27 AM »
There should be an option to change where to output the audio in U1. HDMI, optical, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline shoestrings

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #177 on: Jan 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM »
My question is: If I connect my Minix U1 to my 55" Samsung TV thru HDMI, and then to transfer audio/sound of a movie file from my Minix U1  to the LG Home Theater, would it be possible through the Digital Audio Out (Optical) of my 55" Samsung TV?  I hope that someone can understand my question....

It depends on the model of your samsung tv. Try to check the manual first or provide us the model. There are TVs that can pass-through the 5.1 signal form HDMI to the optical out. And there are other TVs that can't.
I spent the summer wasting
The time was passed so easily

Offline dnous10

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #178 on: Jan 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM »
bookmarked lang :)

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #179 on: Jan 26, 2017 at 07:36 AM »
It depends on the model of your samsung tv. Try to check the manual first or provide us the model. There are TVs that can pass-through the 5.1 signal form HDMI to the optical out. And there are other TVs that can't.

Sir, its Samsung 55" KU6000...