Author Topic: Need advise on recommended Android-based media player  (Read 1826 times)

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
Need advise on recommended Android-based media player
« on: Jan 18, 2016 at 10:17 AM »
Hi guys need your advice... For the past two months since we got the sony android tv all we do is play movie via usb on the tv using the kodi app and occasionally mx player or vlc. The tv has been able to play mkv files as large as 25gb and with kodi, interface is great and i get the movie posters etc on both movies and tv series.

I read somewhere here though that some use a separate media player so as to avoid damaging the tv or stressing it too much. Does this hold true? If it is then i'll need to scout for an android-based media player, what could u guys recommend? I prefer one where i can just plug in my external drives rather than setting up a nas or streaming since internet is so-so in our area... Thanks in advance guys  for any recommendations :)

Offline biggus_dickus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Need advise on recommended Android-based media player
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2016 at 03:22 PM »
Hi guys need your advice... For the past two months since we got the sony android tv all we do is play movie via usb on the tv using the kodi app and occasionally mx player or vlc. The tv has been able to play mkv files as large as 25gb and with kodi, interface is great and i get the movie posters etc on both movies and tv series.

I read somewhere here though that some use a separate media player so as to avoid damaging the tv or stressing it too much. Does this hold true? If it is then i'll need to scout for an android-based media player, what could u guys recommend? I prefer one where i can just plug in my external drives rather than setting up a nas or streaming since internet is so-so in our area... Thanks in advance guys  for any recommendations :)

Theoretically, it makes sense, because it frees up the TV CPU from running the resource-intensive tasks and thus may prolong its life.  But then again, why would the TV manufacturers put it in there in the first place if it can potentially damage the TV?  I'm in the same boat because I also have a Sony Android TV and I'm currently using it for video playback.  Before I'm just using the TV as a monitor and everything is played through either an NMT or HTPC.  But ever since I got the Sony Android TV, I rarely use my HTPC now because everything can be controlled on one remote, whereas before I would use 3 remotes -- 1 for TV power and menus, 1 for controlling HTPC, and 1 for the AVR.  Now, everything's through 1 remote.  To me, the convenience it provides outweighs the risks. 

But anyway, if you've decided on getting an Android-based media player, I would recommend the Minix Neo U1.  See my review on a separate post. :)

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2016 at 06:07 PM »
^thanks bro would read up on it. yeah parehas tayo, the sony android TV has really been a do-it-all for me since i got it, to think that wasnt my intention when i got it, its just that their Android TVs had the better PQ compared to their regular TVs. Its also very snappy with the interface, and works well with mirroring android phones, and with netflix now available in PH, even streams in HD :)

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016 at 10:07 AM »
Gamitin mo nalang yun android sa tv. They put it there for a reason.

Pero to answer the suggestion, here are my choices in order:

Nvidia Shield TV
Minix Neo (latest possible)

Offline Audio Excellence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Definitive Technology
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 08:54 PM »
Gamitin mo nalang yun android sa tv. They put it there for a reason.

Pero to answer the suggestion, here are my choices in order:

Nvidia Shield TV
Minix Neo (latest possible)

You should also consider HiMedia, its one of the best media player brands available.

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 11:53 PM »
You should also consider HiMedia, its one of the best media player brands available.

sige sir check ko kung maganda community support nila (update, upgrade)... im primary leaning towards good community support to add more features and bug fixes and longer time to own the product...
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2016 at 09:54 AM by flashDB »

Offline dimfer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2016 at 01:10 AM »
I've read somewhere that the Nvidia Shield is one of the best (some say it is the best) that's why I got it. We've been streaming movies on Kodi a lot lately.

I am very happy with the result and would highly recommend it.
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline andlisten

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Go ahead funk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2016 at 09:45 AM »
(OT)..May we know the model of your Sony Android Tv, Im just interested
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2016 at 09:50 AM by andlisten »