Author Topic: Audyssey for 2 channel audio  (Read 1360 times)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
Audyssey for 2 channel audio
« on: Jan 26, 2016 at 07:18 AM »
Thinking of changing my vintage 2 channel receiver for a modern one. Anyone used a 5.1 with Audyssey calibration for 2 channel audio ? What your thoughts on this ?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Audyssey for 2 channel audio
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 07:43 AM »
Ako dati I use the digital EQ ng receiver for 2 channel. Tingin ko EQ lang ang usable for 2 channel set-ups. Yun time alignment baka hindi applicable. The xover, pwede din. Hindi lang lang din gusto ang onbaord DAC ng mga nagamit kong receivers.

Looks like your in love with the Audyssey sound. Hehe!
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016 at 07:44 AM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 08:03 AM »
have not tried it yet,  hence the question to those who tried it. I was able to play around with an Onkyo 5.1, it does not have audyssey, but I did enjoy the features like being able to adjust the sub volume , change crossover using the remote.

Ako dati I use the digital EQ ng receiver for 2 channel. Tingin ko EQ lang ang usable for 2 channel set-ups. Yun time alignment baka hindi applicable. The xover, pwede din. Hindi lang lang din gusto ang onbaord DAC ng mga nagamit kong receivers.

Looks like your in love with the Audyssey sound. Hehe!

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 08:14 AM »
You mentioned that you use the EQ for 2 channel audio. Was it a game changer ? You also said "Dati" , are you using something else or just decided to just use a "straight" configuration ?
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016 at 08:15 AM by qguy »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 08:35 AM »
You mentioned that you use the EQ for 2 channel audio. Was it a game changer ? You also said "Dati" , are you using something else or just decided to just use a "straight" configuration ?

My HT fronts was previously 10" coaxial JBL automotive speakers and kinda tuned siya for loud playing. Hindi ko nagustuhan yun sonic signature so I bought an AVR with 9 band EQ to compensate so yeah, it was a game changer from my previous front speakers point of view :D. It was good for simply playing and enjoying music but not for critical listening. Though I'm still using my receiver, I bought a pair of FS for 2 channel music. I also used the Musiland DAC so I had to utilize the CD input of the receiver bypassing all the analog and digital processing.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 09:13 AM »
I find it better sounding using the "Pure Direct" mode (without any Audyssey processing) in listening to music (2-channel) on my Marantz Pre/Pro...

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 09:52 AM »
Most auto EQ processors target a flat frequency response that most listeners find, uhmm, flat and dull for music. Try mo din baka gusto ng tenga mo. Or do auto EQ and tweak to taste.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM »
Most auto EQ processors target a flat frequency response that most listeners find, uhmm, flat and dull for music. Try mo din baka gusto ng tenga mo. Or do auto EQ and tweak to taste.

Ako'y namamalimos upang hindi sumang-ayon (I beg to disagree) hehe! I find them tapered of ang mid-highs to highs though sa mids to lows, medjo flat nga siya.

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM »
I said target, it does not necessarily achieve a flat frequency response. Hehe!

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2016 at 10:29 PM »

Here are the Audyssey target curves:

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2016 at 08:20 AM »
The master speaketh. Do other calibration systems also apply the Gundry Dip and HF roll-off?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2016 at 11:28 AM »
The master speaketh. Do other calibration systems also apply the Gundry Dip and HF roll-off?

Not all of them, Don Master King Markcrenz. Most makers default to their own curve, but many do allow the user to target a flat response if desired.

By default, Audyssey targets a curve with a dip in the 2kHz region and a gentle roll-off at around 7-8kHz that steepens at higher frequencies. With the Audyssey Pro kit you can disable "Midrange Compensation" to get rid of the Gundry dip (always present without the Pro kit). A lot of speaker makers are against it nowadays because they believe that speakers these days are designed well enough to not need it when placed in the right environment. You can also choose "Flat" with the Pro kit (instead of "Reference") to switch to a much less rolled off upper frequency range. Other calibration systems often have similar features.

Without the Pro kit, most Audyssey-equipped receivers can switch between "Movie" and "Music" settings. Movie is similar to the "Reference" curve, while Music is similar to the "Flat" curve. The Gundry dip cannot be removed or adjusted without the Pro kit, afaik.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2016 at 11:28 AM by Stagea »