Author Topic: Do you like the sound of digital room correction (Audyssey, YPAO, etc)?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just wondering who among you use (or at least appreciate) digital room correction, either by itself or coupled with physical room treatments.

I've always wondered how many of those who use AV receivers with such feature actually use it, and bother to carefully calibrate with it.

Personally I'm happy with how this DSP technology has progressed, and have had success calibrating my system with it.  I'm delighted with how much it improved the sound with a bit of patience with the calibration process.

And I know, just the thought of applying any DSP when listening to 2 channel stereo would make a purist cringe, but I actually listen to 2 channel audio with digital room correction turned on, and I like it.  :)

So what are YOUR thoughts?
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016 at 12:36 AM by Arnel E. »
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
I am using Dirac room correction , being able to switch on/off the correction makes the difference very apparent . specifically the bass and the imaging improvement ..

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Si qguy nagpla-plano. Personally ok naman siya, masyadong warm sounding lang for me. I prefer my own calibration.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
How about the subwoofer calibration, does it provide a big help ?

Si qguy nagpla-plano. Personally ok naman siya, masyadong warm sounding lang for me. I prefer my own calibration.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
How about the subwoofer calibration, does it provide a big help ?

It does pero knowing your preferene, mabibitin ka sa SPL and punch. Though you can adjust naman yun xover settings.

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
LOL !!!

It does pero knowing your preferene, mabibitin ka sa SPL and punch. Though you can adjust naman yun xover settings.

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
I read a similar post in AVS forums and most of the answers were that the sound was too warm. I was wondering if the listeners ears is the one that is lacking in sensitivity to higher frequency due to age. The mic is adjusting for flat, the speakers produces a flat sound but the listeners ears is -6 db from 12KHZ and up :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
I read a similar post in AVS forums and most of the answers were that the sound was too warm. I was wondering if the listeners ears is the one that is lacking in sensitivity to higher frequency due to age. The mic is adjusting for flat, the speakers produces a flat sound but the listeners ears is -6 db from 12KHZ and up :)

That's not true. Baka sinasabi lang nila na ang adjustment is for flat response. Sa experience ko, ang adjustment nila is for the theatre sound or response. Hindi kasi pwedeng flat response sa theater kasi magkakaroon ng localization. Malaki ang room and they are aiming for a big sweet spot.

Offline Arnel E.

• Collector
  • Liked:
Audyssey yung gamit ko, yung Default Mode nya warm sya kasi documented naman nila na intentional yung roll off nila starting around 10 KHz. Pero nung sinubukan ko yung Flat mode nya, ayun sakto na sa hinahanap kong neutral balance.

Baka yung majority dun sa AVS forum ang gamit na calibration ay similar sa Default Mode nung sa Audyssey. Ako nga nung una hindi ko napansin na may Flat Mode pala kung di ko pa nabasa sa manual haha.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016 at 10:04 PM by Arnel E. »
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
I find Audyssey to be bass shy. Kahit sa Imprint, Audyssey's car audio counterpart. I usually just use Audyssey for time alignment settings and leave the tuning to myself.

Offline Arnel E.

• Collector
  • Liked:
I find Audyssey to be bass shy. Kahit sa Imprint, Audyssey's car audio counterpart. I usually just use Audyssey for time alignment settings and leave the tuning to myself.

I'm not a fan of Alpine's Imprint either. I didnt even know it's based on Audyssey. For car audio, JBL auto tuning does a much better job IMHO. Although i do appreciate the time domain filters in any DSP that has it, especially for car audio where reflections are difficult to control. I get better results with such filters compared to EQ alone.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM by Arnel E. »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
Napansin ko din, maski digital EQ, nagkaka-compression pa din meaning parang slightly sakal.

Offline Arnel E.

• Collector
  • Liked:
In my case, where my speakers are quite respectable (hehe) but placed as unobtrusively as possible in the living room, and therefore far from ideal positions, the Audyssey's time-domain filtering helps the sound much more than frequency-domain EQ alone.

I noticed that the target overall correction (at initial impulse before any reflections) being done by the Audyssey to all my front speakers is close to nothing (based on the graphs it generates for these speakers). But switching between Audyssey On/Off definitely sounds night-and-day different, so it must be the time-domain thing (on effects of reflections) doing much of the magic here.

My speakers are close to the wall, and sits on top of a cabinet. But with Audyssey, I get suprisingly good soundstage depth, nice imaging, and detailed overall sound... good as I heard these speakers get, including a properly positioned set on stands. BUT, the room acoustics weren't too bad to begin with, so Audyssey helped me a lot, but it's no miracle.  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2016 at 01:16 AM by Arnel E. »

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
For me, Audyssey ON sounds detailed but a little thin sounding.  Audyssey OFF sounds full bodied but less details.