Author Topic: Another noob setting up  (Read 2141 times)

Offline cinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Another noob setting up
« on: Feb 09, 2016 at 07:06 PM »
Hey guys, I started out just Googling around for a good soundbar. Turns out that was one of the most frowned-upon thing in the world of sound. Hours/days of reading lead me here (and still feel that I know nothing, but I think I'm hooked) :)

Any suggestions for a good setup for a 20-ish sqm. living+kitchen area in my condo? 42" TV is wall-mounted on a gypsum wall with an available shelf at the top of it. Was thinking of a 2.1 setup and starting with a good receiver might do.

Hard to imagine setting up anything in the likes of a 5.1 given the small space and the sofa is already back up against the wall and beside the door going outside.

Application - movies (from external HD and streaming), music (wireless from iOS device), possible gaming

Photo of TV & shelf (with temporary placeholder kalat). Don't know what that mirror+wall at the right does in terms of sound but that's there hehe
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxI10sZNznOqcWt4YVdWZGhCU2s/preview

Budget - probably around 30-40k if that's (locally) achievable. Is there hope in this? :D
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2016 at 10:18 PM by cinto »

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Noob setting up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2016 at 07:42 PM »
hmmn for that space, I think sound bar is your best bet..going separates will cramp up and clutter your premium space..ok naman ang sound bar, just pair it with a decent subwoofer will probably satisfy you already..or you can try duevel planets (Omni directional speakers) hehe..they are stylish to boot :P

Offline cinto

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2016 at 09:23 PM »
Thanks, disturbed. I was thinking on placing the receiver on my shelf and hopefully if there's enough space, front L-R speakers at the side. Or otherwise, somewhere along that space. That might keep my space from clutter.

Interesting suggestion on the duevel planets but from a quick search I find it on the expensive side @ £850-900 (Php 58k?) and that thing looks huuge and eats up floor space. Honestly looks super cool though!

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2016 at 09:37 PM »
You may consider going the direction of Goldenear Cinema Sat series if space is a limitation
http://www.goldenear.com/products/supercinema3d

or Martin Logan motion series.
https://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/ultra-slim.php

Both can be mounted on the wall to save real estate space. HTH.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline cinto

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Re: Another noob setting up
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 12:14 AM »
Thanks, CoolTOYZ. Price of the Goldenear looks steep for my budget but that gives me some ideas :D

What I originally had in mind (and getting me excited) was maybe getting a 20k-30k receiver I can place on the shelf and then spend the remaining on speakers/subs. Is this possible? Any popular/recommended setup?

Edit on OP: Added photos of the tv+shelf.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016 at 12:15 AM by cinto »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 12:55 AM »
That's a fairly descent budget for receiver & speakers. There is a possibility that you can go with a 5.1 because you're room in my opinion, is capable. I'd rather go for an HTiB 5.1 than a soundbar. With your budget you can achieve a descent 7.1 receiver and save up for a 5.1 or 7.1 set-up later.

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 09:50 AM »
Thanks, disturbed. I was thinking on placing the receiver on my shelf and hopefully if there's enough space, front L-R speakers at the side. Or otherwise, somewhere along that space. That might keep my space from clutter.

Interesting suggestion on the duevel planets but from a quick search I find it on the expensive side @ £850-900 (Php 58k?) and that thing looks huuge and eats up floor space. Honestly looks super cool though!

hehe they are not huge..they are fairly small for a floorstanding speaker IMO..you said your budget is 30-40k right?  I suggest a pre-owned receiver in the market place so your receiver won't eat a lot of your budget..

maybe pre-owned speakers too..subwoofer is the key sa movies..and since sa condo ka..you might want to check if sound doesn't leak too much or the energy from the woofer won't bother your neighbors hehe

Offline mykel18

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another noob setting up
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 09:54 AM »
Try looking at Sonos Playbar. You can add a Sonos sub as well.

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016 at 09:56 AM by mykel18 »
HT: JBL | A&D | Denon | LG
Audio: Naim | DeVore Fidelity | Roksan | Dynavector

Offline cinto

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 12:47 PM »
That's a fairly descent budget for receiver & speakers. There is a possibility that you can go with a 5.1 because you're room in my opinion, is capable. I'd rather go for an HTiB 5.1 than a soundbar. With your budget you can achieve a descent 7.1 receiver and save up for a 5.1 or 7.1 set-up later.

hehe they are not huge..they are fairly small for a floorstanding speaker IMO..you said your budget is 30-40k right?  I suggest a pre-owned receiver in the market place so your receiver won't eat a lot of your budget..

maybe pre-owned speakers too..subwoofer is the key sa movies..and since sa condo ka..you might want to check if sound doesn't leak too much or the energy from the woofer won't bother your neighbors hehe

Any tips on which brands/models I should watch out for? I keep reading good stuff on Pioneer/Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon but that's as much as I know :D I may try scouting at Architectural Audio in GB sa weekend and then pre-owned ones in the marketplace to have a feel on where my budget could get me.

Bluetooth receivers would be a big plus. My old JBL speaker dock has given up already after much use.

The neighbors were one of the reasons I have settled with bare TV speakers for more than a year. But a friend with a similar unit (just different floor) has been using a 2.1 setup and has never had any complaints from neighbors daw along and below his unit. I just assume that goes the same for me when I upgrade hehe

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 02:04 PM »
avshop has Mirage Nanosats (5pcs). These are small but full sounding speakers. Check his ad at the marketplace speakers section. The kit lacks a sub. Sadly the series is no longer in production so take it or leave it.

Offline cinto

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 03:14 PM »
avshop has Mirage Nanosats (5pcs). These are small but full sounding speakers. Check his ad at the marketplace speakers section. The kit lacks a sub. Sadly the series is no longer in production so take it or leave it.

Wow. Backreading into that post, CoolTOYZPH wanted 2, so if I get the remaining 3, buy sub and receiver, that would work out? :o

(Only downside, sort of, is if ever I decide to go 5.1 in the future.. baka manghinayang ako dun sa 2 haha. And being discontinued in production.. mahirap warranty/service? Amazon has great ratings for it, though)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 04:30 PM »
Keep all 5. These are keepers. I've heard them personally at avahop years back. I got the Mirage S8 sub in fact. But I did not have the budget to buy the Nanosats. So I only got the sub.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016 at 06:58 PM by Gino »

Offline cinto

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2016 at 12:43 PM »
Thanks, sir Gino. Setting that as an option. Have also inquired avshop on their Onkyo444. Hope it's priced well.

What do you guys think of Harman Kardon HKTS-15 5.1? It's selling for a good price @ $200 but I can't be sure. (http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-High-Performance-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000K818SA/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8)

:)

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2016 at 01:15 PM »
^ you need to put the cost of shipping that here..and hopefully none of the drivers are defective..

check Sanjays post on his polk audio..looks like a good deal on the sound bar+sub or the floor standing speakers..

looking back at your post..your listening chair is already backed up in the wall and its beside a door going outside..

so your best bet on achieving surround sound is buy small satellite speakers that you can mount and angle from the wall..polk omw5 are great for this, maybe you can find similar, or a dipole speaker that can be mounted sa wall will be ok..hassle kc ung me stand kahit manipis p stand nyan..

floorstanding speakers medyo mag take ng space..though meron naman hindi bulky..post pic ng layout hehe

Offline cinto

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2016 at 02:52 PM »
Finally had my 5.1 surround setup completed this week. Thanks to all of you for help and suggestions and providing great insights. If anyone's interested, I had an Onkyo TX-SR444 and Wharfedale MS-100. Only went a few hundreds above budget but that includes the service na and hdmi and sub cables - installing guy made me a Monster 3m. cable for P800. I dunno how legit that is but as a noob I could probably never tell. 'Maganda' naman tunog haha :)

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2016 at 04:53 PM »
Finally had my 5.1 surround setup completed this week. Thanks to all of you for help and suggestions and providing great insights. If anyone's interested, I had an Onkyo TX-SR444 and Wharfedale MS-100. Only went a few hundreds above budget but that includes the service na and hdmi and sub cables - installing guy made me a Monster 3m. cable for P800. I dunno how legit that is but as a noob I could probably never tell. 'Maganda' naman tunog haha :)

congratulations..looking forward to see your set up in the HT picture gallery :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2016 at 07:18 PM »
Congrats! I-post na yan sa gallery!

Offline cinto

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2016 at 05:30 PM »
Thanks sirs disturbed and Nelson! :) I'll try to come up with photos when I get home :) Pero as I've seen a lot of your setups... Mine is nowhere near as cool! Ang hahardcore nyo! I'm not worthy haha

Nag-browse ako sa gallery and I think I may "need" acoustic panels too. I've also decided on a TV rack to replace the dining table (>:D) Eto na ba yung tinatawag na "itch"? Nakakatakot lol
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2016 at 05:57 PM by cinto »