Author Topic: Music Listening from HT Set Up  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Music Listening from HT Set Up
« on: Mar 08, 2016 at 08:08 AM »
I've been an HT enthusiast for years now. I want to try out 2 channel music from my HT set up.

My question is, how do I set up my receiver, speakers, media player for 2 channel audio listening? Is it as simple as getting songs and playing these on my media player and switching the receiver to pure/Direct mode? Is there a special player for music? What is a DAC and how is it used?

I hope to hear from the audiophiles here. Thanks. 

Offline mykel18

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Music Listening from HT Set Up
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 10:58 AM »
Yes you could do that or get an integrated amp that has HT bypass. It really depends on what you want. If you are satisfied with your media player then no need for another source.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016 at 10:59 AM by mykel18 »
HT: JBL | A&D | Denon | LG
Audio: Naim | DeVore Fidelity | Roksan | Dynavector

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Music Listening from HT Set Up
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:07 AM »
Yes you could do that or get an integrated amp that has HT bypass. It really depends on what you want. If you are satisfied with your media player then no need for another source.

Thanks sir.  No additional gears sana.  If thats the case, im good as is.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:20 AM »
DAC = Digital to Analog Converter.. it takes your ones and zero and turns it into analog form to be amplified by your amplifier

Some AVR have built in DACS and there are external DACS that you can use and bypass the internal DAC of the AVR.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:23 AM »
DAC = Digital to Analog Converter.. it takes your ones and zero and turns it into analog form to be amplified by your amplifier

Some AVR have built in DACS and there are external DACS that you can use and bypass the internal DAC of the AVR.

Im interested to learn about DACS and how I can use it on my set up. 

Do I connect is to the media player then it goes to the avr?

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:30 AM »
Im interested to learn about DACS and how I can use it on my set up. 

Do I connect is to the media player then it goes to the avr?

Media Player (digital out) -> DAC (analog out) -> AVR(analog in)
if you're using a media player for audio listening, I suggest you use an external DAC or the digital input of your AVR and by-pass the built in DAC of the media player.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:51 AM »
Hi Sir,

If your player has a digital output then you can use a DAC.

Media Player (dig out) --> DAC --> AVR --> Speaker

If your player does not have a digital output, then you may need to purchase a media player with a digital output.

Or if you have a spare laptop, you can connect as follows:

Laptop (USB) --> USB Interface Card --> DAC --> AVR --> Speaker

Actual (based on my set-up)

Laptop (USB) --> Musiland Monitor 01 --> SMSL SD-1955 DAC --> Amplifier --> Speaker
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:52 AM by rascal101 »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:53 AM »
Just a question...why would you need another dac? Your receiver has it built in already. Is there something wrong with the way it sounds? For me the weak link in music reproduction in an AVR isnt the DAC but the pre and amp section. Who knows your AVR just might have the latest and greatest DACs that money can buy built in.

Why the pre? Because of all the bells, whistles and other processing stages that the signal must pass through before getting amplified. Selecting direct to source might just be the ticket.

Why the amp? With the pre/ tuners / processors / audio and hdmi selectors / crossover in the same box and then cramming 7 channels of amplification sharing one torroid isnt the ideal way of building an amp with headroom to spare.

Oh...and speaker positioning in a pure stereo set up is different from that of an HT set up. Why not start with this first and reposition your main left and right speakers when listening to music. You might not have to spend at all.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 01:05 PM »
Yes. It is possible that your AVR with very good DAC built in so may not be necessary as synchro mentioned.

Also agree that the more stages audio signal passes through there is more signal degradation due to noise and resistance from wires and pcb traces added to audio signal chain.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 02:11 PM »
First time i heard of this, is it because of the center channel ?.. can you expound on this ...

thanks

Oh...and speaker positioning in a pure stereo set up is different from that of an HT set up. Why not start with this first and reposition your main left and right speakers when listening to music. You might not have to spend at all.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 02:39 PM »
You can just simply play a music file using your Media player and set your AVR to 2 channel stereo. Let the AVR do everything except playback(New AVR can play music files, i'm not sure about yours). Try also setting your speakers to large while playing music and listen to how it sounds.

I have two setup HT and Pure audio, one new member visited me simply because he wanted to Audition and Learn how to setup an HT. He also asked me about why people setup dedicated HT and dedicated audio, he asked me because ang dami nya daw nabasa na "iba daw talaga ang separate Audio setup kesa HT setup when it comes to SQ for music"

So, i let him experience listening to two channel music on both my HT and Audio Setup. Then sabi nya, pareho naman palang maganda  for music eh, well sabi din nya na newbie sya and not really an audiophile with experience in critical listening. He just want to enjoy the Music but para sa kanya ok na sya dun sa SQ ng HT setup for music.

Anyway, my point is. Like what synchro said, experiment on your HT for music... Iwas gastos pa

Walang Setup

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 02:46 PM »
Hi Q. I believe that most HT speaker orientation just states that the left and the right channel needs to be positioned on the sides of the monitor with the center channel in the middle either beneath or on top of the monitor. For THX it requires the center channel to be the same as the L & R channels for seamless integration. The center channel is there not only for the dialogue but to fill in that gap when sound is panned from left to right in your front stage creating that seamless presentation if calibrated correctly. In short if you get this correctly a Harley will sound like a Harley when it roars from left to right on your front stage. Get it wrong with the incorrect center and it becomes a Vespa in the middle of the stage.
Room boundaries from the speakers are not even considered sometimes. You will often see the speakers right up against the wall which is OK for HT but probably not for stereo. Mas tolerable ang positioning sa HT.

Now the query of the TS is that he wants to listen to 2 channel stereo music hence you lose that center channel signal. Now to get 2 speakers to image a solid and believable soundstage then the main L&R channels have to be positioned accordingly with regards to room boundaries, toe in, rake etc. Needs a lot of tweaking to get it right but quite satisfying.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016 at 02:54 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 03:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys!  Media player to avr nalang para walang gastos.  Im sure my Marantz can make my PSB Imagine T sing.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 04:36 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys!  Media player to avr nalang para walang gastos.  Im sure my Marantz can make my PSB Imagine T sing.

Sir correct me if im wrong pero naka Marantz 6010 ka right? I suggest you play your music directly from the marantz and compare it with with your media player. It can play DSD 2.8 and has gapless playback as well.

You also have an awesome speakers for music playback, heard the Imagine before at watts hi fi and they are awesome speakers for music.
Walang Setup

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 04:48 PM »
Sir correct me if im wrong pero naka Marantz 6010 ka right? I suggest you play your music directly from the marantz and compare it with with your media player. It can play DSD 2.8 and has gapless playback as well.

You also have an awesome speakers for music playback, heard the Imagine before at watts hi fi and they are awesome speakers for music.

Yes sir, 6010.  I'll try your recommendation.  Thanks Courage.

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 01:11 AM »
You can just simply play a music file using your Media player and set your AVR to 2 channel stereo. Let the AVR do everything except playback(New AVR can play music files, i'm not sure about yours). Try also setting your speakers to large while playing music and listen to how it sounds.

I have two setup HT and Pure audio, one new member visited me simply because he wanted to Audition and Learn how to setup an HT. He also asked me about why people setup dedicated HT and dedicated audio, he asked me because ang dami nya daw nabasa na "iba daw talaga ang separate Audio setup kesa HT setup when it comes to SQ for music"

So, i let him experience listening to two channel music on both my HT and Audio Setup. Then sabi nya, pareho naman palang maganda  for music eh, well sabi din nya na newbie sya and not really an audiophile with experience in critical listening. He just want to enjoy the Music but para sa kanya ok na sya dun sa SQ ng HT setup for music.

Anyway, my point is. Like what synchro said, experiment on your HT for music... Iwas gastos pa

ibig sabihin nyan chief idol eh masama yang 2ch system mo kse kapareho lang ng ht mo eh! benta mo na lahat yan at magpalit ka na ng bago..... ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D
WCH CM U?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 01:34 AM »
Maraming factors. Some of them because of processing. Some of them because of the built-in DAC and some issues are power. I'm currently using a Pio receiver for 2 channel listening. Maayos naman for me. Imaging, depth, tonality, width and slam is there. I'm using PC both for movie and music source. I tried the built-in DAC ng Pio ko but it sounded bad for me kaya I tested the Musiland DAC. It turned out very good for me. It's connected sa CD input tapos Pure direct mode para walang processing at all. Iba pa din naman talaga ang may separate 2 channel amplification pero I'm very satisfied with the power of my receiver. It would be probable the next best thing for me. We also tried comparing my receiver sa isang vintage 2 channel amp. The results would be dependent na lang sa nakikinig. hehe!

@Lancito: If you're from QC, PM me if you want to try out my system and compare mo din sa iba so you can the feel.

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 03:17 AM »

@Lancito: If you're from QC, PM me if you want to try out my system and compare mo din sa iba so you can the feel.

Ingat lang baka mahawa ka ng SARS! :)

On topic:
Yung receiver ko dati pwede switch sa Stereo  (2 channel) ganon lang ka simple.   ::) Pero iba pa rin palo ng 2 channel na amp lalu na yung tubes hehehe :)
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2016 at 03:20 AM by HEBREW »
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 10:01 AM »
ibig sabihin nyan chief idol eh masama yang 2ch system mo kse kapareho lang ng ht mo eh! benta mo na lahat yan at magpalit ka na ng bago..... ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D

Ha ha ha... adikkk....

Benta ko lahat tapos mag Mini Component na lang ako from Aiwa 46000 PMPO
Walang Setup

Offline ndotcom

• DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 02:55 PM »
Ha ha ha... adikkk....

Benta ko lahat tapos mag Mini Component na lang ako from Aiwa 46000 PMPO

Please reserve speakers pm nalang terms  >:D

Kidding aside this is the way to start an audio setup. Start with what you have, speaker placement malamang solution dyan. Find your spot ika nga, not necessary need hanapin yung both HT at audio sound placement at same spot, mark lang ng tape yung pang HT at audio spot so alam mo kung saan ibalik kung ano mood mo that day, HT or audio. This is if BS ang speaker, if FS at super bigat compromise ka na alin masunod yung HT or Audio placement.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2016 at 02:56 PM by ndotcom »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 03:00 PM »
Ingat lang baka mahawa ka ng SARS! :)

On topic:
Yung receiver ko dati pwede switch sa Stereo  (2 channel) ganon lang ka simple.   ::) Pero iba pa rin palo ng 2 channel na amp lalu na yung tubes hehehe :)

Para kang prophet. Hehe! Nagpapagawa nga ako ng tube buffer between the DAC and receiver para maiba ang flavor minsan minsan.

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 10:29 PM »
Para kang prophet. Hehe! Nagpapagawa nga ako ng tube buffer between the DAC and receiver para maiba ang flavor minsan minsan.

Hehehe!  ;D Ok yan sir Nelson. Yan ang hindi ko pa na experience. Sigurado masarap na flavor yan... >:D kaka - miss talaga ang buhay-audio.  :-[
Hey, that's my bike!