Author Topic: Dynamic EQ ON of OFF?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Dynamic EQ ON of OFF?
« on: Jun 13, 2016 at 08:48 PM »
Not sure if the people here in the forum use the Dynamic EQ function on their receivers.  Bass and FX are exaggerated but sounds nice if listening level is below reference.

Yes or no?
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM by Lancito »

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Dynamic EQ ON of OFF?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2016 at 06:27 AM »
Definitely yes

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2016 at 06:59 AM »
Off - purist
On - at night time

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2016 at 07:32 AM »
given my typical listening volume of -12dB to -6dB, loudness compensation is always switched on. last time i did a comparison, i preferred THX Loudness Plus over Dynamic EQ. I feel the surround channels were boosted a little too much to my liking with Dynamic EQ
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2016 at 08:40 AM »
I haven't check this for sometime. Anyway whats the difference between ON and OFF on the sound?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM »
in a properly calibrated system, there should be no difference at all when listening at exactly 0dB reference level.

when listening below reference level, bass is given a boost to preserve tonal balance. this is because our ears are less sensitive to lower frequencies compared to highs. surrounds are given less attenuation compared to the fronts as well, to preserve loudness balance all around.

without loudness compensation, bass and surrounds will be lacking at below reference levels. this will mostly be applicable to movies, where the reference level is actually known. for music, it tends to be subjective.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM by rthirtyfourgtr »
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2016 at 02:32 PM »
I have mine on but Google posts say otherwise.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2016 at 02:56 PM »
http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/dynamic-eq/faq

Dynamic EQ
Movie and music mixes are created at a reference level much louder than typical listening levels. Human perception of sound is different at lower playback volumes causing voices to appear brighter, bass to diminish and the surround soundstage to become less enveloping.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ adjusts the frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. The result is something never before possible—bass response, tonal balance and surround impression that remain constant despite changes in playback volume. This is the first technology to correctly combine information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels, a pre-requisite for delivering a loudness correction solution.

Why can’t I hear my surround sound and bass when I turn my volume down?
The scientific reason? It's so you can sleep at night. If we could hear low frequencies at the same levels as the higher frequencies, our heart and other vital organs, which produce a lot of noise at low frequencies, would keep us awake. But evolution wasn’t aware that one day we'd want to watch movies the way they were created. When designers mix sound for movies they listen at very high levels. The decisions they make about the balance of frequencies and the level of surround sound is done for the loud volumes in movie theaters. When we listen at home the sound is a lot quieter, and so our balance is completely different. That's why movies sound like they're lacking bass and surround. Dynamic EQ is designed to fix that. It restores the proper balance by making adjustments for human perception at lower listening levels.

What are the best Dynamic EQ settings for movies, music, and video games?
Movies are mixed in rooms calibrated for film reference. To achieve the same reference level in a home theater system each speaker level must be adjusted so that –30 dBFS band-limited (500 Hz – 2000 Hz) pink noise produces 75 dB sound pressure level at the listening position. A home theater system automatically calibrated by Audyssey MultEQ will play at reference level when the master volume control is set to the 0 dB position. At that level you can hear the mix at the same level the mixers heard it.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is referenced to the standard film mix level. It makes adjustments to maintain the reference response and surround envelopment when the volume is turned down from 0 dB. However, film reference level is not always used in music or other non-film content. The Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.

0 dB (Film Ref): This is the default setting and should be used when listening to movies.

15 dB: Select this setting for pop/rock music or other program material that is mixed at very high listening levels and has a compressed dynamic range.

10 dB: Select this setting for jazz or other music that has a wider dynamic range. This setting should also be selected for TV content as that is usually mixed at 10 dB below film reference.

5 dB: Select this setting for content that has a very wide dynamic range like classical music.