Author Topic: Best NMT for movies and filesharing  (Read 1463 times)

Offline curvis

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
Best NMT for movies and filesharing
« on: Jun 22, 2016 at 10:57 PM »
My 5 year old popcorn hour does not detect my HDD anymore, so i bought a brandnew 3TB WD Red NAS HDD, however i've concluded the PCH is the culprit. i'm now looking for a good NMT for filesharing, that has good ventilation for the HDD (fans not necessary as long as the unit is cool), just like my old PCH that has kept my 1TB in good condition after all these years. i'm planning to store personal files as well as movies in it. basically i'd like to skip the HDD bay or NAS route, as i think that's going to be a redundant solution since NMT's can do the same thing as a basic NAS.

the new PCH model is just a bit too expensive so i'm looking for an alternative. 3D feature is not necessary.

Online uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Best NMT for movies and filesharing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2016 at 07:05 AM »
For your intended use you'll be better off buying a NAS. You can keep your current PCH and use it to play your media files shared from the NAS.

Offline curvis

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2016 at 08:00 AM »
^ what's the advantage of a basic NAS over an NMT?

Offline Audio Excellence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Definitive Technology
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2016 at 08:37 AM »
My 5 year old popcorn hour does not detect my HDD anymore, so i bought a brandnew 3TB WD Red NAS HDD, however i've concluded the PCH is the culprit. i'm now looking for a good NMT for filesharing, that has good ventilation for the HDD (fans not necessary as long as the unit is cool), just like my old PCH that has kept my 1TB in good condition after all these years. i'm planning to store personal files as well as movies in it. basically i'd like to skip the HDD bay or NAS route, as i think that's going to be a redundant solution since NMT's can do the same thing as a basic NAS.

the new PCH model is just a bit too expensive so i'm looking for an alternative. 3D feature is not necessary.

Go get the HiMedia H8. It has all the features that you need.

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2016 at 08:52 AM »
if your popcorn can stream files from another device over network, just get NAS.  some models like qnap and synology units have hdmi in case you want to directly from from it.