Author Topic: Help on HDMI to Receiver from SkyCable HD TV Box  (Read 1030 times)

Offline widowmaker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help on HDMI to Receiver from SkyCable HD TV Box
« on: Jul 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM »
Just a newbie with a basic how theater system.  Would appreciate your help regarding connecting via HDMI for hi-res audio coming from my SkyCable HD TV box to my receiver. 

Currently, my TV only has 2 HDMI ports. 1 is already connected from the HD TV box and the other is for my BD Player.  BD Player has an HDMI out that is already connected to my receiver.  Thus, I have the option of just using the TV speakers to watch DVDs/BD, and can also take advantage of digital audio from receiver.  My HD TV box though has only 1 HDMI port which is already connected to the TV, and sound only coming from the TV itself. In addition, what it only has is the RCA out which I have connected to the receiver for the meantime, but only able to enjoy 2.0 audio. 

How can I get hi-res/digital audio from my box to the receiver using an HDMI?  Will an HDMI Switch or Splitter work?  I am still trying to understand the difference between the Switch and the Splitter.  Looking forward to your help and recommendation.  Thank you in advance.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Help on HDMI to Receiver from SkyCable HD TV Box
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2016 at 12:20 PM »
switch - you can only watch one at a time
splitter - you can watch all simultaneously

Doesnt your receiver have a HDMI out?
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline widowmaker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2016 at 12:29 PM »
switch - you can only watch one at a time
splitter - you can watch all simultaneously

Doesnt your receiver have a HDMI out?

It has.  I've tried connecting the HDMI to the TV Box directly to the receiver, but I'm not getting an image from the TV.  I'm trying to figure out how I was able to do it with my Playstation that's directly hooked to the receiver.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2016 at 12:33 PM »
Your options:
1. Install a splitter to send HDMI signals from cable box to TV and receiver. Receiver can be turned ON or OFF when watching cable shows.
2. Connect the cable box directly to the receiver. Receiver must be ON when you're watching cable shows.

In your case an HDMI Switch would be of no use.
Switch - 2, 3 or more inputs; 1 output
Splitter - 1 input; 2, 3 or more outputs
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2016 at 12:35 PM »
It has.  I've tried connecting the HDMI to the TV Box directly to the receiver, but I'm not getting an image from the TV.  I'm trying to figure out how I was able to do it with my Playstation that's directly hooked to the receiver.
You may not have set the receiver selector to the corresponding input where the cable box is plugged.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2016 at 01:26 PM »
Check if your one of the HDMI ports of your TV is labelled as HDMI (ARC) and check if your AV receiver supports HDMI (ARC) on its output. If you have these, you can use the HDMI (ARC) port to connect to your AV receiver. ARC means Audio Return Channel - the TV will automatically pass through whatever audio it is playing to your receiver.

Offline widowmaker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2016 at 03:09 PM »
Thanks to all your recommendations. Will give it a try later.