Author Topic: TCL Owner's thread  (Read 68794 times)

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1443
Re: TCL Owner's thread
« Reply #270 on: Nov 04, 2020 at 11:14 PM »
Hello TCL Owners,

Anong unit po ang masa-suggest nyo for a 30k budget TCL UHD TV? Thanks!

eto 65 p8m = 28,995pesos as posted on top or this QLED 55C715US - ₱31,998 from here:

https://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,223174.60.html

Offline kristoff

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #271 on: Nov 04, 2020 at 11:36 PM »
eto 65 p8m = 28,995pesos as posted on top or this QLED 55C715US - ₱31,998 from here:

Thanks oznola! Will check out reviews of them. :)

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #272 on: Nov 06, 2020 at 03:36 PM »

QLED 55C715US is now 29K

https://www.abenson.com/promos/11-11-awesome-deals/tv
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #273 on: Nov 06, 2020 at 04:28 PM »

QLED 55C715US is now 29K

https://www.abenson.com/promos/11-11-awesome-deals/tv
That's a really good deal. Specs are comparable to TV's 2X the price. Same panel as the Samsung QLEDs from last year, too, which is a bonus at this price level.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Nov 06, 2020 at 07:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I might get these. Punta muna ako bukas sa Abenson to check it and some other brands.

BTW - OT but do Abenson provide wall mount installation services upon delivery? Thanks!

Online synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Nov 06, 2020 at 07:29 PM »
That's a really good deal. Specs are comparable to TV's 2X the price. Same panel as the Samsung QLEDs from last year, too, which is a bonus at this price level.

Sent using Tapatalk

Im looking in getting one for the living room to replace my busted Plasma TV.  I just don't know if it can produce Samsung QLED level type of an image. Abensons alabang here I come hehe
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Nov 07, 2020 at 02:38 PM »
I was able to check yung 55C715US sa Abenson not sure kung pano ko iexplain parang kakaiba ung colors nya. Parang color pastel ba. Hehe sorry cant explain it very well. Not sure if yung setup lang nila dun, ayaw kase ipahawak saken ung remote at medyo masungit si kuya.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #277 on: Nov 07, 2020 at 02:40 PM »
I was able to check yung 55C715US sa Abenson not sure kung pano ko iexplain parang kakaiba ung colors nya. Parang color pastel ba. Hehe sorry cant explain it very well. Not sure if yung setup lang nila dun, ayaw kase ipahawak saken ung remote at medyo masungit si kuya.

Is that good or bad?   ;D

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Nov 07, 2020 at 02:43 PM »
Is that good or bad?   ;D

I guess bad for me?  :P More on preference na lang siguro. The Samsung TU8000 seems to have softer and better colors overall for me, kaso 1 year warranty lang.
I'll try on Cash and Carry tomorrow, sana mas mabait mga nag aassist dun.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #279 on: Nov 07, 2020 at 02:45 PM »
I guess bad for me?  :P More on preference na lang siguro. The Samsung TU8000 seems to have softer and better colors overall for me, kaso 1 year warranty lang.

I was looking at the 65" version before.  But decided not to pull the trigger.  Good luck on your hunt!

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Nov 07, 2020 at 02:47 PM »
I was looking at the 65" version before.  But decided not to pull the trigger.  Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks! Nakakabaliw pala mag hunt ng TV, first time ko kase mag hunt ng sarili ko. Ang daming options haha.

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #281 on: Nov 07, 2020 at 03:57 PM »

tanong ka kung merong offer na warranty extend.. tu8000 so far bang for buck yan..

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Nov 07, 2020 at 08:35 PM »
tanong ka kung merong offer na warranty extend.. tu8000 so far bang for buck yan..

Ah may ganun pala. Thanks sa tip bro I'll ask tomorrow.  ;D

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Nov 08, 2020 at 06:51 PM »

It's hard to trust displays at the store, just because the settings there are being cared for by people who are not as nerdy as us when it comes to AV gear.  Some shops even display 720p files on 4k tv's.  ::)

I would suggest you check out the specs sheets of the TV's that you liked and do a comparison on paper.  And then go to a shop which will let you play with the settings to your heart's content (I really miss shops like SnS as these guys definitely help you out for stuff like this).

Note that the TCL QLEDs are, in fact, Samsung QLED panels.  The TU8000 is a good entry-level TV but it is a basic VA panel and doesn't do wide color gamut.  The TCL CV715 has a superior panel and will likely have better color calibration from the factory compared to Samsung entry-level panels that typically need a good calibration session to get the colors just right.  It supports Dolby Vision and has a 2-year warranty as well.

Check out this recent review:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/tcl-c715-55c715-review-an-impressive-cheap-qled-tv/ar-BB1aEIYf

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Nov 08, 2020 at 07:40 PM »
It's hard to trust displays at the store, just because the settings there are being cared for by people who are not as nerdy as us when it comes to AV gear.  Some shops even display 720p files on 4k tv's.  ::)

I would suggest you check out the specs sheets of the TV's that you liked and do a comparison on paper.  And then go to a shop which will let you play with the settings to your heart's content (I really miss shops like SnS as these guys definitely help you out for stuff like this).

Note that the TCL QLEDs are, in fact, Samsung QLED panels.  The TU8000 is a good entry-level TV but it is a basic VA panel and doesn't do wide color gamut.  The TCL CV715 has a superior panel and will likely have better color calibration from the factory compared to Samsung entry-level panels that typically need a good calibration session to get the colors just right.  It supports Dolby Vision and has a 2-year warranty as well.

Check out this recent review:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/tcl-c715-55c715-review-an-impressive-cheap-qled-tv/ar-BB1aEIYf

Hi Verbl,

Thanks for your feedback. Actually I did get the 55C716 to be delivered tomorrow. The folks at Cash and Carry Makati were much more accommodating than the store I first visited. They were also very knowledgeable and was able to guide me on how to operate the unit.

The Samsung 1 year warranty was a bummer too. I asked if there is a program to extend the warranty but was told there is none...

Online synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Nov 08, 2020 at 08:28 PM »

Hi Verbl,

Thanks for your feedback. Actually I did get the 55C716 to be delivered tomorrow. The folks at Cash and Carry Makati were much more accommodating than the store I first visited. They were also very knowledgeable and was able to guide me on how to operate the unit.

The Samsung 1 year warranty was a bummer too. I asked if there is a program to extend the warranty but was told there is none...

kristoff,

can you give us a short review once you have used it for a couple of days? I'm looking to buy one as well.  TIA
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #286 on: Nov 08, 2020 at 10:07 PM »
kristoff,

can you give us a short review once you have used it for a couple of days? I'm looking to buy one as well.  TIA

+1

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Nov 09, 2020 at 08:10 AM »
Hi folks - I am not very articulate when giving out reviews lol, but I'll surely post my feedback once I've used it for a few days. :)

Online synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Nov 09, 2020 at 11:33 AM »
Hi folks - I am not very articulate when giving out reviews lol, but I'll surely post my feedback once I've used it for a few days. :)

Thanks bro. I saw the TV already in Abenson over the weekend but syempre iba pa din yung real world test.  Will wait for your mini review before i decide to purchase it.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Nov 09, 2020 at 05:13 PM »
Thanks bro. I saw the TV already in Abenson over the weekend but syempre iba pa din yung real world test.  Will wait for your mini review before i decide to purchase it.

Sadly my delivery got pushed back Friday. It was supposed to be moved tomorrow but I will be out of town until Friday.  :( :(

Online synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Nov 10, 2020 at 05:25 PM »
The TV itself is very impressive. Picture clarity is great. Bad news is TCL ran out of stock (55 QLED).

I'm torn between getting the TCL QLED for 29K vs a Sony KD-55X8000G for 26.5K. Both have 2 year warranties
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline kristoff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Nov 14, 2020 at 08:18 PM »
Hi folks. Been using the 55C716 for a couple of hours now. Most noticeable con for me is ung response time ng Android OS nya. I am not sure sa ibang Android Smart TVs as this is the first one I've had, but it feels noticeably laggy. Example mag open ako ng setting from the remote it would take roughly a second or more to register. Kaya minsan nakakadalawang press na ako tsaka pa lang gagalaw haha. But for the price I can live with it - hopefully  :-[

Picture quality wise I can say it is very impressive. I mostly use the Movie picture reset since movies and Netflix ko lang naman ginagamit ung TV. The Smart HDR preset puts a copperish tint sa display so I dont use it much. Havent tried the other presets. First time ko mag ka TV na nakikita ung pores sa mukha lalo na pag UHD content lol.

I have not been able to test the sound much, hindi ko kase malakasan since I am just renting a room and nakakahiya sa mga kasama ko sa bahay. Will probably check pag ako lang sa bahay one of this days.

For now tago muna sya at di pa dumadating yung stand ko from Lazada.

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #292 on: Nov 14, 2020 at 09:37 PM »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Nov 14, 2020 at 10:26 PM »
saw this in my newsfeed today

TCL smart TVs may have 'Chinese backdoor' — protect yourself now
This is downright scary. And since the vulnerability is on http, you can still potentially access the filesystem even behind a router or firewall.

It looks like I'll be doing some testing of my own tomorrow.

Sent using Tapatalk

Online synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Nov 14, 2020 at 10:29 PM »
saw this in my newsfeed today

TCL smart TVs may have 'Chinese backdoor' — protect yourself now

And there goes my intent to purchase the QLED from TCL.....pass na lang ako
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Nov 23, 2020 at 10:23 PM »
TCL has responded to the backdoor claims:

https://support.tcl.com/vulnerabilities-found-in-tcl-android-tvs

Alert: Vulnerabilities found in TCL Android TVs

TCL was recently notified by an independent security researcher of two vulnerabilities in Android TV models. Once TCL received notification, the company quickly took steps to investigate, thoroughly test, develop patches, and implement a plan to send updates to resolve the matter. Updating devices and applications to enhance security is a regular occurrence in the technology industry, and these updates should be distributed to all affected Android TV models in the coming days.

TCL takes privacy and security very seriously, and particularly appreciates the vital role that independent researchers play in the technology ecosystem. We wish to thank the security researchers for bringing this matter to our attention as we work to advance the user experience. We are committed to bringing consumers secure and robust products, and we’re confident that we’re putting in place effective solutions for these devices.

FAQ

Who discovered these vulnerabilities
The discovery was made by two industry researchers @sickcodes and @johnjhacking.

Do these vulnerabilities apply to models sold in the USA or Canada?
CVE-2020-27403 is not an issue in product deployed in North America.  However, select televisions sold in the USA and Canada are affected by CVE-2020-28055.   We expect to resolve this in the coming days. 

Are all TCL televisions affected?
TCL has deployed hundreds of models in North America and only a limited number are involved.  The following models are impacted by CVE-2020-28055: 32S330, 40S330, 43S434, 50S434, 55S434, 65S434, and 75S434.

When was TCL made aware of these vulnerabilities?
The TCL lab was made aware of the discovery at 11:30am on October 27.  Within hours, the issues had been verified and the security compliance team triggered the vulnerability management response process.  The solution for CVE-2020-27403 began deployment on October 30 via APK upgrade.  The TCL lab is working around the clock to test the solution for a system upgrade to address CVE-2020-28055 to complete the modification of directory permissions. Pending successful testing, it is expected that updates will start being distributed in the coming days.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Nov 23, 2020 at 10:31 PM »
I did a port scan last week of 3 android TV's: a Sony, a Skyworth, and a TCL.  From inside the NAT, it seems that the Sony had more open ports (probably since it's the oldest TV), with the Skyworth next. From outside the NAT, there wasn't anything to be seen.  The TV's were all on the home screen and connected via wifi, no apps were running other than the usual background daemons and services. 

I haven't run any scripts yet to try out if the open ports can be exploited as it's been very busy for us at work (budget season + prepping for the holiday online shopping season).

My preliminary findings tend to lean towards the conclusion that the older your android version is, the more vulnerable it could be.  It does seem safe behind a router, though.  I can imagine the safest way would likely be turning off wifi on the tv and using ethernet or powerline instead.

I haven't done another set of tests yet but I'm confident that your tv's are safe so long as your home network is safe.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2020 at 10:32 PM by Verbl Kint »

Offline oonaakona

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #297 on: Nov 24, 2020 at 09:15 AM »
First time TCL owner here. Niregaluhan kami ng 65P715 model. Anyone here uses the same model? May preferred settings ba kayo for Netflix? Will be using this as well for console gaming next year. Some issues I have read about this unit are one, hirap sila mag pair ng BT device in which I haven't tried yet then hirap din mag connect thru WiFi. Hoping di namin maencounter yung said issues. Hehe.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Nov 24, 2020 at 02:49 PM »
First time TCL owner here. Niregaluhan kami ng 65P715 model. Anyone here uses the same model? May preferred settings ba kayo for Netflix? Will be using this as well for console gaming next year. Some issues I have read about this unit are one, hirap sila mag pair ng BT device in which I haven't tried yet then hirap din mag connect thru WiFi. Hoping di namin maencounter yung said issues. Hehe.

New model po yan at QLED na (it's an Abenson only model, btw), so far parang dalawa pa lang yata kayo dito ang meron niyan hehe.  I would suggest using calibration videos in YouTube using the highest possible resolution (4k sana). 

What I do know is that calibration straight out of the factory is already pretty good, you would just need to do a little tweak here and there depending on preference.  Enjoy!

Offline drhiredgun

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • res ipsa loquitur! ...57 guns and counting...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #299 on: Nov 24, 2020 at 03:29 PM »
Got the 55P716, maganda naman daw PQ and SQ sabi ni kumander. Will do a review once makauwi. :)
Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retard