Author Topic: TCL Owner's thread  (Read 68467 times)

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1439
Re: TCL Owner's thread
« Reply #330 on: Mar 25, 2021 at 01:26 PM »
^good to know! Mother board got damaged din pala. Must've been a really bad surge.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #331 on: Mar 25, 2021 at 03:28 PM »
So aside from turning off power strip when not in use, do you advise using avr?

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Mar 25, 2021 at 04:00 PM »
So aside from turning off power strip when not in use, do you advise using avr?

parang no guarantees pa din based dito

Your description reminds me of what happened to my old Samsung plasma.  Twice yon pumutok kahit naka servo na STAVOL. :(

Offline miccollo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #333 on: Mar 31, 2021 at 07:21 PM »
Always use a good AVR for your electronic treasures. And make sure to compute for the right wattage and leave some allowance.
TCL 75p8m
Onkyo Tx NR646
Jamo 416
AE Neo Ctr
Klipsch Sub10
Nvidia Shield TV
PS5

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #334 on: Apr 14, 2021 at 10:05 PM »
https://www.smarthouse.com.au/tcl-to-deliver-new-google-tv-to-older-android-tvs/

TCL is set to be the first to deliver the all-new Google TV OS, with older 2019 and 2020 TVs set to get an over the air update.

Late last year Google announced that their old Android TV was being rebranded with TCL set to be the first to deliver the update. The #2 global TV brand will start rolling out the upgrades in Europe and the USA and Australia later this year.

The Chinese manufacturer said that it plans to update its 2019 and 2020 lineup of Android TVs to Android 11 for TVs.

Google announced Android 11 for TVs last September, but TCL says that the new update is scheduled for Q3 2021 when Android 12 will be released.

Offline bejiboys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
Re: TCL Owner's thread - LED65A8US Died, Backlight Issue
« Reply #335 on: Jul 15, 2021 at 03:17 PM »
My LED65A8US, purchased January 2020 died.  It seemed like a backlight issue.  With a flashlight upfront, you can discern the TCL logo, and the Android logo also during power up at certain angles, and if lucky that you could launch Youtube and a selected video based from the shadows, will playback audio.

Unit was bought at Waltermart, and should still be under the 2 year warranty.   Couldn't find the thread re: repairs and warranty claims for some other owners.  Can you suggest how to go about the claims and repair?  Was trying to call the tech support numbers on the warranty certificate, but just get a busy tone.

I have some vague memory of a Waltermart sales person, mentioning claims to be done by bringing the unit back to them.  However, would want to avoid the hassle of unmounting, boxing and delivering the unit to Waltermart, moreso that they will also pass the same unit to the service center. 

Thanks.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Jul 15, 2021 at 03:31 PM »
Call Waltermart and see if they can provide you a direct line to TCL customer support.  Since it's a 65in, you can easily tell them that it's too big for you to carry on your own.

Meanwhile, here are TCL numbers that I used before:

TCL Customer Service will answer your question by phone.
(02)8771-6888
Support Time
Monday - Saturday 9:00am to 6:00pm
Suppot Language: Filipino and English 

SMS:
0908-4147-995 (Smart)
0922-7248-968 (Sun)
0916-6929-723 (Globe)

They also have official FB and Twitter accounts.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2021 at 05:27 PM by oznola »

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Jul 15, 2021 at 05:43 PM »
Thanks a lot @oznola and @Verbal Kint.  I will check out the details of your previous posts. 

I went to the TCL site, registered the TV and uploaded bitmaps of the receipt/warranty card requested.  I also did file a service request, got an RMA ticket and was able to call the customer service using the landline (Globe and Smart cell numbers cant be contacted.  Support agent was very courteous and was able to endorse my ticket to the service center.  Call was quick and short because of the prior online service request made had all the pertinent data.  5-7 days wait for the service center/tech to call for home visit.

I hope the repair and warranty claim experience would be satisfactory.  First time TCL user here. 

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Jul 15, 2021 at 06:09 PM »
^keep us posted sir!

So far we've gotten good customer service from them. Hope that gets a quick turnaround time to get fixed. Who knows, you might get a new model as a replacement if parts are not readily available ;)

Offline usbslave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #340 on: Jul 16, 2021 at 08:45 AM »
Sir tanong ko lang ilang hours gamit mo sa unit mo?
Same model here pero 55inch
Bought last May2020. So far so good pa naman
Thanks

Sent from my M2010J19SG using Tapatalk

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Jul 16, 2021 at 01:36 PM »
@oznola:  will keep the group posted.  i hope to be extended the same satisfactory customer support as you were provided - based on how i understood your previous experience.  wala bang cash out sa repairs if the unit was under warranty?

@usbslave:  did not check, and don't know how to get into the service menu to see hours used.  medyo "high milage" ang average use ko since the lockdown, siguro around 12 hours of use per day.  kung confirmed backlight issue, hindi siguro particular to this tcl tv model yung problema. 

Offline usbslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Jul 20, 2021 at 09:32 AM »
Thank you Sir
Goodluck sa TV mo

Sent from my M2010J19SG using Tapatalk

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Jul 20, 2021 at 11:37 AM »
@bejiboys - no cash out sir

Offline Papaber

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #344 on: Jul 25, 2021 at 01:54 PM »
Can you plug an exfat or hfs formatted hdd in a 55c716 and play mkv files?

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Jul 27, 2021 at 03:49 PM »
Thanks a lot @oznola and @Verbal Kint.  I will check out the details of your previous posts. 

I went to the TCL site, registered the TV and uploaded bitmaps of the receipt/warranty card requested.  I also did file a service request, got an RMA ticket and was able to call the customer service using the landline (Globe and Smart cell numbers cant be contacted.  Support agent was very courteous and was able to endorse my ticket to the service center.  Call was quick and short because of the prior online service request made had all the pertinent data.  5-7 days wait for the service center/tech to call for home visit.

I hope the repair and warranty claim experience would be satisfactory.  First time TCL user here. 

July 27 update:  In my case, it took them more than 7 days (and additional follow-up mails and calls) to have a technician to arrive on site.  The closest service center near me was already removed from accreditation, and they had to transfer to another one (Montas Electronics Service). 

Not great news for me though.  The tech readily confirmed that the units backlights were defective, but they do not do onsite repairs on TCL TV's of this size (?)  :)  In around 10 mins, all I had on hand was a service report with the initial diagnosis of a defective backlight (which I already knew from the onset), and a "failed to repair" tickbox marked.  Repair resolution is blank. 

Tech mentioned that this report will be sent to TCL, and mentioned this typically will entail replacement of the entire panel (or was it the entire TV set ?  :)) which would take around 3 weeks, but delivered directly to my home. 

So, in a nutshell, I am still neutral in terms of TCL aftersales/warranty service at this point in time.  Will update this owners' thread when I get significant updates - hopefully soon. 

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Aug 02, 2021 at 05:13 PM »
July 27 update:  In my case, it took them more than 7 days (and additional follow-up mails and calls) to have a technician to arrive on site.  The closest service center near me was already removed from accreditation, and they had to transfer to another one (Montas Electronics Service). 

Not great news for me though.  The tech readily confirmed that the units backlights were defective, but they do not do onsite repairs on TCL TV's of this size (?)  :)  In around 10 mins, all I had on hand was a service report with the initial diagnosis of a defective backlight (which I already knew from the onset), and a "failed to repair" tickbox marked.  Repair resolution is blank. 

Tech mentioned that this report will be sent to TCL, and mentioned this typically will entail replacement of the entire panel (or was it the entire TV set ?  :)) which would take around 3 weeks, but delivered directly to my home. 

So, in a nutshell, I am still neutral in terms of TCL aftersales/warranty service at this point in time.  Will update this owners' thread when I get significant updates - hopefully soon. 

August 2 update:  Not so lucky with TCL customer service.  After a week more from last home visit of TCL service tech, no movement until now.  I had to call customer service to follow-up the status and disposition of my TV.  Problems with service center not submitting diagnostic reports with TCL causing delays.  Now, the RMA case is for approval for replacement of unit subject to availability of stocks.  They say if approval granted, it would take 2-4 weeks to replace.  :(

Only consolation is that replacement unit will be delivered to my doorstep - thus not needing to go to the stores to bring defective unit and claim replacement.  Good thing my old 49MU6103 is around and working.

Offline demjoe1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Aug 03, 2021 at 03:16 PM »
unfortunately my 55a8us that i bought last may2020 started to have what looked like backlight flicker on the left section of the screen. so i called tcl customer service on a monday and the technician arrived on friday of the same week. luckily the authorized service center is just within our area.

that was when I was told by the tech to come really close about 6-8in to the screen and you will then see horizontal hairline thin lines probably rows of pixels losing colors. so they are what appeared to be the flickering when viewed from a distance as they were present top to bottom but only on the left half of the screen.

diagnosis, panel issue.  tech said that panel replacement was the likely action to be done. but i insisted to note it in his report that i preferred unit replacement as this was a major part of the item that you do not normally replace.  this is the reason i have this unit in the first place, my lg uh6500 panel went bust at 26months.

i'm still awaiting the final resolution from tcl customer service. will provide the update as it becomes available.

Offline Bravesfan

• Collector
  • Been here since 2005
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 797
« Reply #348 on: Aug 03, 2021 at 03:32 PM »
^ We have the exact same unit bought April 2020 but fortunately I have not seen any problem yet. Dapat yata hanapin ko na warranty card...

Offline demjoe1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Aug 04, 2021 at 09:22 AM »
btw, the "flickering" is not very obvious unless the image you are viewing is mostly static in cases like news room broadcast or large monochrome background like the start up logo of skycable (white background to blue square). the reason is that the "flicker" is black as it loses color so in fast or dark movie scenes you will be hard pressed to notice it. you might even mistake it as just your eyes adjusting to the light, scene or angle. it's a very fast "flicker" akin to when you blink your eyes really fast but only one side of the screen has it. 

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Aug 10, 2021 at 11:33 PM »
August 2 update:  Not so lucky with TCL customer service.  After a week more from last home visit of TCL service tech, no movement until now.  I had to call customer service to follow-up the status and disposition of my TV.  Problems with service center not submitting diagnostic reports with TCL causing delays.  Now, the RMA case is for approval for replacement of unit subject to availability of stocks.  They say if approval granted, it would take 2-4 weeks to replace.  :(

Only consolation is that replacement unit will be delivered to my doorstep - thus not needing to go to the stores to bring defective unit and claim replacement.  Good thing my old 49MU6103 is around and working.

August 10 update:  TCL support ([email protected]) called and informed me that the replacement of my TV was approved.  However, as my LED65A8US unit was already outdated, they are offering to have it replaced by an updated model that they have on stock, a 65P727.   I would however need to pay additional charges for that updated model. 

Does anybody have any idea/experience if this "updated" model is at least of equal functionality and value?

What was quite peculiarly mentioned in that call (but not noted on the email I requested to formally document the replacement offer) was that they would offer a 3 month warranty for the replacement unit.  I don't clearly understand what they meant, but if it means the unit is only warrantied up to 3 months upon receipt, aren't I on the losing end as if my old unit were not defective, it is still warrantied up to the end of its 2nd year - which is January '22?

Also, I asked if getting a more expensive variant, even if I were to pay more was an option (thinking if I were to shell out cash, might as well try the QLED variants).  The TCL support did not have any prepared answer, tantamount to a "no".

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #351 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 07:57 AM »
August 10 update:  TCL support ([email protected]) called and informed me that the replacement of my TV was approved.  However, as my LED65A8US unit was already outdated, they are offering to have it replaced by an updated model that they have on stock, a 65P727.   I would however need to pay additional charges for that updated model. 

Does anybody have any idea/experience if this "updated" model is at least of equal functionality and value?

What was quite peculiarly mentioned in that call (but not noted on the email I requested to formally document the replacement offer) was that they would offer a 3 month warranty for the replacement unit.  I don't clearly understand what they meant, but if it means the unit is only warrantied up to 3 months upon receipt, aren't I on the losing end as if my old unit were not defective, it is still warrantied up to the end of its 2nd year - which is January '22?

Also, I asked if getting a more expensive variant, even if I were to pay more was an option (thinking if I were to shell out cash, might as well try the QLED variants).  The TCL support did not have any prepared answer, tantamount to a "no".

2021 tcl c725/727 has MEMC motion smoothing, full array local dimming and hdmi 2.1 i believe and it also get a little brighter and wide color gamut quantum dots for HDR and also dolby vision. if you go for P727 its like paying for a newer shell for the same TV you have.

https://www.tcl.com/au/en/products/c727/55C727.html
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2021 at 08:07 AM by scorpionzero »

Offline demjoe1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 01:09 PM »

i got the similar call/offer last friday, 6aug, to get a replacement earlier.  i was told that they are still seeking available stock to replace my 55a8us which will take about 2weeks. but if "i would accept" to pay ph3000.00 to get the 55p727 they can send it within a few days.

the 3 month warranty is an extension that is added to your original warranty expiry date. in your case it would be apr2022 (jan2022 + 3 mos).

i said i will wait for the 55a8us stock...for now :)

additionally found the 55p727 specs on a western appliance ad as follows:

55″ 4K 2D UHD Android AI TV
Super Narrow Bezel, Metal Texture Casing
Slim Design, Two Leg Stand; 4k 3840×2160
D-LED, Dolby Vision, Micro dimming, HDR10
MEMC 60Hz; Dolby audio + DAP, 2 Channel Speaker
Audio Only mode, Dolby Atmos; Android 11 OS, Google Play store
Google voice search, Google Assistant, Google Apps
Far-Field voice & AI-In, camera ready; 2GC DDR + 16GB Flash,CPU-A55*4 1.3Ghz
HDMI 2.1*1 HDMI 2.0*2, USB 3.0*1 USB 2.0*1, WIFI (2.4G +5G Dual-band), Bluetooth 5.0.
Dimension Cartoon: (DxWxH) 1400 × 150 × 875 mm Weight 11.5 kg

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2021 at 01:22 PM by demjoe1 »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 03:59 PM »
i got the similar call/offer last friday, 6aug, to get a replacement earlier.  i was told that they are still seeking available stock to replace my 55a8us which will take about 2weeks. but if "i would accept" to pay ph3000.00 to get the 55p727 they can send it within a few days.

the 3 month warranty is an extension that is added to your original warranty expiry date. in your case it would be apr2022 (jan2022 + 3 mos).

HDMI 2.1*1 HDMI 2.0*2, USB 3.0*1 USB 2.0*1, WIFI (2.4G +5G Dual-band), Bluetooth 5.0.

Are the specs the same?

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #354 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 06:29 PM »
Just learned na compatible ang TCL sa apple tv app. Tried it out, lumalabas yung dolby vision logo. I’m so happy kasi kung ano -anong app ginamit ko dati pero di lumalabas yung video sa screen at mas gusto ko talaga manood ng shows sa big screen kesa ipad.

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Aug 12, 2021 at 12:18 AM »

@demjoe:  thanks for the info.  yup, got a reply from TCL that the 3 month extension is on top of the my existing warranty, so all is well.  i may take on the 3k option to upgrade.  i have had a long wait for my RMA to be served.  having the new specs are a bonus (dolby vision, MEMC, android 11, hdmi 2.1, wifi 5g).  i just hope that there would be no new "bug" bonuses.  :)

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Aug 12, 2021 at 12:36 AM »
seems like the offer is a good deal to me. 3K probably just covers the cost to transport the units to and from.

my unit is a year or so old already. if that happens to me, i'd take a brand new unit for 3K which could last another 2 years.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2021 at 12:39 AM by oznola »

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #357 on: Aug 12, 2021 at 07:24 AM »
@demjoe:  thanks for the info.  yup, got a reply from TCL that the 3 month extension is on top of the my existing warranty, so all is well.  i may take on the 3k option to upgrade.  i have had a long wait for my RMA to be served.  having the new specs are a bonus (dolby vision, MEMC, android 11, hdmi 2.1, wifi 5g).  i just hope that there would be no new "bug" bonuses.  :)

you sure you dont want the full array  local dimming in the new c72 series??

Offline demjoe1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Aug 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM »
Are the specs the same?

@verbl kint  if you mean a8us/p8us vs p727, no as it seems the p727 has upgraded features as follows:

Dolby Vision
Android 11 OS
Far-Field voice & AI-In, camera ready;
CPU-A55*4 1.3Ghz
HDMI 2.1*1, USB 3.0*1
WIFI (2.4G +5G Dual-band)

Offline usbslave

• Collector
  • Liked: