Author Topic: TCL Owner's thread  (Read 67813 times)

Offline YaJ555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: TCL Owner's thread
« Reply #210 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 12:55 PM »
I am interested in the TCL 65A8US but would like to know if this is similar to the 8 series model thats available in the US. Also, is this model the same as the 65P8US?

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
« Reply #211 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 01:40 PM »
^Inferior versions of the US models are what we get here. Same models i believe. one is exclusive to Abenson, the other for SM etc

Offline YaJ555

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 01:52 PM »
Inferior where? Panel?

Looking to have the ff:

at least HDR10
local dimming would be nice
good color, brightness and contrast - doesnt have to be the same as the US version but above average, Im coming from a Sony with IPS panel - piss poor blacks.

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 02:00 PM »
just read the posts from the beginning. i think the newer models particularly the one you are eyeing is already a better version based on reviews by Verbl Kint here and on the other threads.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2020 at 02:01 PM by oznola »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #214 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 02:57 PM »
I am interested in the TCL 65A8US but would like to know if this is similar to the 8 series model thats available in the US. Also, is this model the same as the 65P8US?

The A8US and the P8US are basically the same.  This model is called the P660 in the European market and P8M in others.  This exact model isn't available in the US (the ones stateside are Roku TV powered) but the panel could very well be the same one used in the 4 series.

at least HDR10
local dimming would be nice
good color, brightness and contrast - doesnt have to be the same as the US version but above average, Im coming from a Sony with IPS panel - piss poor blacks.

What's your budget?  The 65 A8US and the 65 P8US are both about ₱36k these days and should suit your needs.  The P8S is a higher model and is at ₱44k, but could well be cheaper in cash.

Offline YaJ555

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 03:03 PM »
Thank you for this sir!

My budget is around 25-40k for a 55 or will stretch to a 65 given the prices Im seeing in the malls.

I demoed a 55A8US now and tinkered with calibration a bit, turning off all noise reduction and adjusting contrast and colors, micro dimming turned on and I was floored.

So, is the micro dimming the same as local dimming (zones) from other brands? because looking at the demo, it really improved the blacks (asked the salesman to play the Samsung 4k file they were looping on the other sets).

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 03:33 PM »
If you plan on getting a 55", I would suggest you also demo the TCL 55 P8S  (around ₱28k cash at Anson's). 

The biggest advantage that the P8S has over the A8US/P8US is Wide Color Gamut (aka WCG), but basically everything else is the same.  WCG can potentially bring better colors than a standard TV panel.  Now, is this worth the extra ₱4-₱5k increase in price for the 55"?  I would leave that to the potential buyer to decide. 

Micro dimming / local dimming is implemented differently per panel type and per brand.  The A8US uses a dynamic backlight system to do it, also known as "frame dimming" in other brands (i.e. Sony).

+ + +

Considering your budget, though, I would recommend getting the 65 A8US.  It may not have WCG, but it is a bigger panel.  Extra cost here might well be delivery to your house as a 65" tv will not fit in a sedan or crossover.  Possible extra cost as well will be to get a guy to mount it on your wall, where it deserves to be.  :)

Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2020 at 03:38 PM by Verbl Kint »

Offline YaJ555

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 04:25 PM »
Yea I was thinking the bigger panel would make up for the slightly lesser picture quality. So wala pala WCG yung A8US...

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #218 on: Jan 08, 2020 at 05:00 PM »
If you plan on getting a 55", I would suggest you also demo the TCL 55 P8S  (around ₱28k cash at Anson's). 

Sir, which Anson's offers P28K cash for 55P8S?  The best offer I got was P31K cash @ Ansons Trinoma.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Jan 09, 2020 at 10:11 AM »
Sir, which Anson's offers P28K cash for 55P8S?  The best offer I got was P31K cash @ Ansons Trinoma.
This was a typo; my apologies. It was available for ₱29k cash during the holidays, not ₱28k. On Carousell, you can get this 55 P8S for ₱29,900.

For that price, you might want to consider the Sony 55 X7007g as well. It also has WCG and micro dimming.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Tinyaneh

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Jan 12, 2020 at 06:51 PM »
Hi guys. Newbie sa site nati. Buti dito may active na thread for 4k tv. Nagcanvass kami ng tvs sa sm at ayala malls. Pero mauuwi kami ng abensons since mas cheaper ang offer nila ng services and delivery fee. Pero eto lahat ng nacanvass namin sa 30k+ budget.

1. Nu7090 or ru7100(50" or 55" pwede siguro)
2. Devant quhv03(50 or 55 din) with free bracket and soundbar
3. Tcl a8us(55")
4. Sony x7007g(49")
5. Lg um7100 or um7300(49")

Pero kasi the bigger the better. Haha

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Jan 26, 2020 at 04:44 PM »
Guys, just discovered that although the previous model TCL tv i had was not advertised to be an ISDB tv, it is able to.

Just discovered it earlier. A regular antenna was connected as well.

I scanned and was able to get the same digital channels i am getting using an ISDB tuner.

Offline bejiboys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #222 on: Jan 30, 2020 at 03:24 PM »
I also jumped the gun and bought the 65A8US lately from Abenson - primarily because of cost/size.

I was able to unbox only late last night.  It is big and heavy.

Build quality is quite far from known brands.  Built in speakers are weak and has a flat response.   Color rendition is yet to be judged as I have not calibrated the design, and found the presets not to my liking.

UI/UX on this unit is not as intuitive/easy compared to my previous TV's.  The only upside is the cost/size and AndroidTV.

Enabled the motion interpolation (soap opera look) thing, and the entire screen flickered like crazy.  Disabling it returned the screen back to normal.  Do your TCL units exhibit the same behavior (have read some post in other forums mentioning some similar experience to this)?  I like how Samsung and Sony implement their interpolation, and usually have them enabled when viewing sports events.

Well, you cant have them all.  :)

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Jan 30, 2020 at 03:51 PM »
Where in the settings can i find that? I haven't tinkered much with the settings. Just lowered brightness to 55. Can't find backlight settings either.

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Feb 03, 2020 at 09:10 AM »
65A8US - discovered that the volume gets stuck on a certain level as lowest. from one to 25 i think, same level lang.

you'll need to perform a manual restart (settings - about - restart) before it restores to proper volume level adjustment. and yes, auto-volume adjust is off.

hassle pag early mornings and you want to watch at lowest volume.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Feb 04, 2020 at 02:32 PM »
I also jumped the gun and bought the 65A8US lately from Abenson - primarily because of cost/size.

I was able to unbox only late last night.  It is big and heavy.

Build quality is quite far from known brands.  Built in speakers are weak and has a flat response.   Color rendition is yet to be judged as I have not calibrated the design, and found the presets not to my liking.

UI/UX on this unit is not as intuitive/easy compared to my previous TV's.  The only upside is the cost/size and AndroidTV.

Enabled the motion interpolation (soap opera look) thing, and the entire screen flickered like crazy.  Disabling it returned the screen back to normal.  Do your TCL units exhibit the same behavior (have read some post in other forums mentioning some similar experience to this)?  I like how Samsung and Sony implement their interpolation, and usually have them enabled when viewing sports events.

Well, you cant have them all.  :)

What TV's did you have previously? 

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Feb 04, 2020 at 02:50 PM »
So under picture settings, i only get the following options:

Brightness
Color Saturation
Advanced Settings
Apply all picture mode
Picture reset

I cannot find other settings for HDR, backlight etc. I cannot change from all source to current source either. just defaults to "All source".

Even if i do Picture reset i do not get any other option available. what am i missing?

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Feb 04, 2020 at 02:55 PM »
So under picture settings, i only get the following options:

Brightness
Color Saturation
Advanced Settings
Apply all picture mode
Picture reset

I cannot find other settings for HDR, backlight etc. I cannot change from all source to current source either. just defaults to "All source".

Even if i do Picture reset i do not get any other option available. what am i missing?

Let me check when I get home.  I usually go to the actual source (like HDMI 1) and then do the backlight settings there.  I don't recall being able to make the settings universal.

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #228 on: Feb 04, 2020 at 03:52 PM »
My TCL finally decided to rest after a movie marathon. Now, no picture. Maybe need board reflow. Guess TV nowadays are disposable unlike my 2006 32 inch Sony which is still okay. Purchased the Sony at  twice the amount of the 55 in. TCL.

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Feb 04, 2020 at 11:25 PM »
Where in the settings can i find that? I haven't tinkered much with the settings. Just lowered brightness to 55. Can't find backlight settings either.

For my 65A8US, it is under Settings-Picture-Advanced Settings-Motion-LED Motion Clear.  However, on my later research, this seems to refer to Black Frame Insertion or "LED Clear Motion" for Samsungs (hahaha, wordplay) so dim and flicker was expected.

I also do not have HDR settings, but it seems to be enabled by default for Netflix as the "HDR10" logo appears momentarily upon playback of HDR titles.  I don't know if this is just a logo. Pressing "I" during playback only displays resolution, not the colorspace.  Youtube app however seems not to display HDR.  No logo appears, and checking Stats for Nerds show a bt709 colorspace instead of bt2020.

The only backlight-related settings I can find on my unit is Dynamic backlight and Micro dimming, both under Advanced Settings-Brightness Settings, on most picture presets except for Smart HDR.

HTH.

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Feb 04, 2020 at 11:37 PM »
What TV's did you have previously? 

Came from these: 50MU6103, HD6510, 50PS200, 50PV70, none of which are high end models.

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Feb 05, 2020 at 06:43 AM »

For my 65A8US, it is under Settings-Picture-Advanced Settings-Motion-LED Motion Clear.  However, on my later research, this seems to refer to Black Frame Insertion or "LED Clear Motion" for Samsungs (hahaha, wordplay) so dim and flicker was expected.

I also do not have HDR settings, but it seems to be enabled by default for Netflix as the "HDR10" logo appears momentarily upon playback of HDR titles.  I don't know if this is just a logo. Pressing "I" during playback only displays resolution, not the colorspace.  Youtube app however seems not to display HDR.  No logo appears, and checking Stats for Nerds show a bt709 colorspace instead of bt2020.

The only backlight-related settings I can find on my unit is Dynamic backlight and Micro dimming, both under Advanced Settings-Brightness Settings, on most picture presets except for Smart HDR.

HTH.

^Thank you sir. appreciate you taking time to share.

The Picture Presets is what i no longer see. I remember seeing it before. I do not have any external devices connected at the moment. I think that might be the reason why the option is not appearing. I'll try to connect something on HDMI.

Performed the picture reset and now it no longer defaults to "All Sources" i can select current source but does nothing. maybe because there's nothing else plugged in.

I do not get the HDR10 logo either which i was getting before on the 50P6US i had.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2020 at 07:02 AM by oznola »

Offline kompressor

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Feb 19, 2020 at 11:04 PM »
I own a 50P8US and I can't seem to make the ARC work. The HDMI1 port has an ARC label but I can't freaking find any way to turn it on under settings. Not under sound, not under CEC.

Is there a hidden menu to enable this?

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Feb 20, 2020 at 06:58 PM »
I do not get the HDR10 logo either which i was getting before on the 50P6US i had.

Native Android TV YouTube app seems not able to display HDR (BT2020).  However, sideloading Smart YouTube TV app is able to trigger TV to display HDR10 logo, but am not sure it is really HDR10.  Video looks "contrasty" though.  :)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Mar 15, 2020 at 07:28 PM »
Im thinking of getting the 43p8m for kitchen use. Any comment regarding video and audio quality? How about the UI? It will be used mostly for netflix, stream videos from NAS and some light surfing. Presently Im using My view but the smart function is so slow I cant use it anymore. I cant use media player because of space limitation so I need functions that are built in with the TV. Thanks

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Apr 09, 2020 at 06:13 PM »
Received android update. Now has Amazon Prime Videos and system speed up icon.

Seems faster responding as well

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Apr 12, 2020 at 07:52 PM »
I'm actually thinking it's a bit risky to get the update during the quarantine, but what the heck, you only live once. :)

_

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Apr 12, 2020 at 08:19 PM »
^lol. Same thoughts i had. Waited anxiously fpr it to finish.

It took its sweet time restarting. During that time i was already thinking what ifs... Lol

So far its good. We have the same model btw

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2020 at 10:07 PM »
Okay ba yung TCL 55p8m QUHD? It's available in the PDVD marketplace at 19.5K.

Offline DriftSpeed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2020 at 12:59 AM »
Tried playing a 20gb file but couldn't get audio from the default player and mxplayer but worked on vlc and i got the HDR10 logo briefly flashing in the upper left corner on my 55A8US. Worth the price for me since this is what my budget is. Sulit na for the 2 year warranty din. Sayang nga lang walang true game mode and soap opera effect but thats expecting too much na for a 20k UHD tv. Cheers!