Author Topic: Penalty charge from customs  (Read 49925 times)

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Penalty charge from customs
« Reply #150 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 06:40 AM »
Raising up an old thread but with relevant question:

I do buy DVDs from NZ for educational purposes however, customs charges me with tax, almost 30% of the cost of material + shipping (yes, combined). Do we have any existing laws or regulations on DVD imports, particularly those for personal use?

when you got the customs charges, what was the volume of your particular transaction, perhaps it helps to  keep the pcs.  down to max considered as personal use.

What jacks up the price is not the duties and taxes but for some goods the storage fees . But I remove the shipping costs and compute for duties/taxes seperately and hindi naman 30%.  HTH
toy

Offline wastedlyf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 06:51 AM »
It was just a piece so kahit ako nagulat.

DVD cost was 56 AUD + 35 AUD shipping fee. Approximate cost was Php 4,150. Computed tax is around 1,900++ (more than 30%) pala - so ako nagulat. Then ironically, DHL (courier of that package) sent SMS on a Sunday afternoon and sabi nila pag within 3 days hindi nakuha, storage fees daw on top of the outstanding fee. I had to prepare some documents as per their advise to declare items as personal use in an affidavit and that what drew me to a lower tax. 

Pero ang hassle lang kasi kung everytime may import for educational material (quarterly kasi updated yung materials and the provider hasn't setup an online delivery of materials ala iTunes), e same problem ang daraanan just to get those DVDs on time.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #152 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 07:14 AM »
Caution: DO not use DHL as a courrier for packages. Pang documents lang sila. I was taxed heavily before for a upscaling DVD player i ordered from China.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 07:46 AM »
It was just a piece so kahit ako nagulat.

DVD cost was 56 AUD + 35 AUD shipping fee. Approximate cost was Php 4,150. Computed tax is around 1,900++ (more than 30%) pala - so ako nagulat. Then ironically, DHL (courier of that package) sent SMS on a Sunday afternoon and sabi nila pag within 3 days hindi nakuha, storage fees daw on top of the outstanding fee. I had to prepare some documents as per their advise to declare items as personal use in an affidavit and that what drew me to a lower tax. 

Pero ang hassle lang kasi kung everytime may import for educational material (quarterly kasi updated yung materials and the provider hasn't setup an online delivery of materials ala iTunes), e same problem ang daraanan just to get those DVDs on time.

next time prepare mo yung docs stating personal use ahead of the shipping, if possible have it shipped from your australian contact to include a copy in their packing list.

toy

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 08:52 AM »
The safest assumption is to consider that with the exception of documents, all items are taxable up to 50%, especially if you use courier service.  In my experience, I find that you'd have better chances of not paying anything via EMS than through any courier service kasi mas "proper and documented" ang courier service companies when dealing with Customs, while the Post Office is tipong hit or miss.  Yeah all items I sent via courier ay laging required ang invoice.  Pero iba-iba talaga experience ng mga members dito because the Customs policies are as clear as mud.

Although some items may honestly be for personal use, I dont think the Customs people really look at that kasi for them, lumang tugtugin na yon.  And it seems they dont even really know the actual duty rate - maski nga sa airport where it is clear that each traveling Pinoy has a 10K-peso duty free limit, they don't seem to know how to apply customs duty properly.

Raising up an old thread but with relevant question:

I do buy DVDs from NZ for educational purposes however, customs charges me with tax, almost 30% of the cost of material + shipping (yes, combined). Do we have any existing laws or regulations on DVD imports, particularly those for personal use?

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 09:40 AM »
My experience sa EMS, depende sa address ng post office. may crocs sa iba(in which case you will be asked to go to the office for examination) meron naman diretso sa yo.

Last year i bought 3 pieces of iphone video cables from china (10 makes it commercial), then shipped here.
usap sa customs, kano daw, i showed them the correspondence ng order detail and parang < 500 for 3 units. so di na ko pinabayaran.  

yun kasabay ko na old lady, pina parcel ang laptop na luma, eh hinihingian ng 15k. di ko matiis and so i showed customs sa iphone na sa ebay ito price nyan, ayun, binigay and assessed as that.  

but tama si Clondalkin, hit and miss si Philpost sa ganyan, so you better "gear" up with docs -- paypal payment copy, invoice etc.  hassle yan.

pero yung sa Australia subscription, ayaw mo ba na ipa image na lang sa kabila at download mo na lang, wala ka ng shipping costs. or baka may ebook or online version yun subscription. HTH
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012 at 09:41 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline wastedlyf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Feb 08, 2012 at 09:57 AM »
^wala pa kasi silang facility to do that, plus the fact na takot sila na mapirate yung materials nila. actually, i don't have problems with this before when we were using TnT. Nung nagshift to DHL yung shipper, dun na nagkaaberya ang lahat.

Sa last order ko, I was billed with a tax of 1,900++, I just filed an Affidavit of Ownership stating that the item is for personal use and has no commercial value, then dun lang nila ibinaba yung cost to 500. Sa TnT, walang ganun, sa DHL lang talaga. Dyahe lang kasi kung everytime na bibili e magfile ng ganun to think the item is not even available sa local market.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Feb 08, 2012 at 11:16 AM »
^wala pa kasi silang facility to do that, plus the fact na takot sila na mapirate yung materials nila. actually, i don't have problems with this before when we were using TnT. Nung nagshift to DHL yung shipper, dun na nagkaaberya ang lahat.

Sa last order ko, I was billed with a tax of 1,900++, I just filed an Affidavit of Ownership stating that the item is for personal use and has no commercial value, then dun lang nila ibinaba yung cost to 500. Sa TnT, walang ganun, sa DHL lang talaga. Dyahe lang kasi kung everytime na bibili e magfile ng ganun to think the item is not even available sa local market.

explicit mo na lang ke TnT, mahal si DHL talaga.
toy

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 03:21 PM »
hey im planning to get an anti mode from finland:

http://verkkokauppa.planeetta.net/epages/Planeetta.sf/secktFhTlThQ2o/?ObjectPath=/Shops/vlsi/Products/8033S-II/SubProducts/8033S-II-0001

i think the price with shipping $356. now if i ship it to manila how much would it cost?

i have never had a good experience with the Philippine post office.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #159 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:08 AM »
Matagal nga ata sa customs. August 14 pa na-turn over sa customs yun package ko pero till now wala pang balita. I sent an email sa EMS at post office, di pa daw binabalik sa kanila.  :(

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2601
« Reply #160 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:14 AM »
pag pasay city post office, wag nyo na iconsider ::)
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:14 AM by anya618 »
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:40 AM »
pag pasay city post office, wag nyo na iconsider ::)

I didn't get this. pwede pa-pm or SMS? Thanks.

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 07:54 AM »
I didn't get this. pwede pa-pm or SMS? Thanks.

puro buwaya ang customs sa pasay post office  >:(

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 04:03 PM »

Nakow. From China lang yun akin. Pero makukuha ko naman di ba?

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 04:04 PM »
Nakow. From China lang yun akin. Pero makukuha ko naman di ba?

di ba sir qc kayo?

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #165 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 05:41 PM »

+1

Plus I have to travel from Valenzuela to EMS in Pasay...  >:(

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Aug 29, 2012 at 08:31 PM »
di ba sir qc kayo?

yes. Pero sa Pasay ang main di ba?  Sa Malolos ang ginamit kong addy sa seller so dun ang bagsak. Ang pagkakaalam ko, after ng customs, tsaka pa lang dadalhin ng EMS sa Malolos Post Office.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM »
yes. Pero sa Pasay ang main di ba?  Sa Malolos ang ginamit kong addy sa seller so dun ang bagsak. Ang pagkakaalam ko, after ng customs, tsaka pa lang dadalhin ng EMS sa Malolos Post Office.

depende yan tukayo, minsan hino-hold nila and you have to pick it up yourself sa Pasay. hindi lang twice o thrice nangyari sa akin yan...  :( :( :(

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 05:41 AM »

depende yan tukayo, minsan hino-hold nila and you have to pick it up yourself sa Pasay. hindi lang twice o thrice nangyari sa akin yan...  :( :( :(

matitindi ang mga lacoste sa pasay city customs. one time me inorder akong video game at playasia, kalabas labasan mas mahal pa ang bili ko sa item. parang binili mo na halos yung item at Toy Kingdom prices ::)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 09:28 AM »
matitindi ang mga lacoste sa pasay city customs. one time me inorder akong video game at playasia, kalabas labasan mas mahal pa ang bili ko sa item. parang binili mo na halos yung item at Toy Kingdom prices ::)

korek! parang plus 1 na nga ang mangyayari... the biggest tax I paid was 12K for a 35 Kilo package containing chassis. The weird thing is it was classified in their tariff code as metal braces and they asked for 12K!!! ang kakapal naman!  >:(

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 09:32 AM »

korek! parang plus 1 na nga ang mangyayari... the biggest tax I paid was 12K for a 35 Kilo package containing chassis. The weird thing is it was classified in their tariff code as metal braces and they asked for 12K!!! ang kakapal naman!  >:(

magagaling magkwenta yan meron silang pinapakitang computation ::)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM »
magagaling magkwenta yan meron silang pinapakitang computation ::)

kaya walang lusot, akala natin official computation pero sobrang compounded naman  :(

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 07:24 PM »

kaya walang lusot, akala natin official computation pero sobrang compounded naman  :(

Dapat sa bank magtrabaho.

Oooops. Released na ng customs yun package ko. It's on it's way to Bulacan. Nabasa ata itong thread na ito.  :D

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #173 on: Aug 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM »
Dapat sa bank magtrabaho.

Oooops. Released na ng customs yun package ko. It's on it's way to Bulacan. Nabasa ata itong thread na ito.  :D

Baka nareseal na at styro na lang ang laman. ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 06:29 AM »
Baka nareseal na at styro na lang ang laman. ;D

Pero may tatak na Konzert yun styro.  ;D