Author Topic: Penalty charge from customs  (Read 49940 times)

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Penalty charge from customs
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2001 at 06:30 PM »
Bad trip ano? A have an Amazon shipment arriving soon that will most likely cost me almost 1000 pesos in taxes. I wrote to Amazon that it will be my last order in the meantime because this tax thing is really killing me. It's not Amazon's fault, I told them that, but this is just too much.  I'm looking into alternative ways of ordering abroad.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2001 at 07:33 PM »

Bad trip ano? A have an Amazon shipment arriving soon that will most likely cost me almost 1000 pesos in taxes. I wrote to Amazon that it will be my last order in the meantime because this tax thing is really killing me. It's not Amazon's fault, I told them that, but this is just too much.  I'm looking into alternative ways of ordering abroad.

Hi Komikero, I feel your pain!  I wonder if this is just DHL or does it happen if your courier is Fedex or UPS as well?

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2001 at 08:41 AM »
viper and xl48,

I have come to the conclusion that while there are standard rules the Philippine Customs imposes on dutiable goods at the post office, the actual implementation depends on 1) whether a customs official is present in the post office, 2) the mood of the customs official, and 3) the bulk of goods that are being delivered.  That is why there is no uniform rate at which our orders are taxed.  That is why some of us get away with just having to pay 20 p's with just a cute little smile whereas others have to shell out a couple of thousand bucks just to get their merchandise.  (I don't know if I have mentioned that I have a friend who actually orders whole radio-controlled airplane kits through the Net, and is never charged anything for it at the Post Office. But knowing my luck, I probably would have to shell out so much money had I been the one who ordered the very same thing.)

I would like to think that this is unfair.  But then again, if these idiots want to work that way, then we may as well try to outsmart them and get around their exploitative ways.  I suggest that we come out with a list of good post offices (those that don't charge taxes), and bad post offices (those that have usurpers as customs officials).  That way, we may eventually find a mailing address that will suit our purposes.

Let me start: don't get your stuff mailed to the Central Post Office in Mandaluyong (Municipio).  They've got a vulture there lurking in the darkness.

On the other hand, my friend gets his radio-controlled airplanes delivered via the Makati Central Post Office (on Buendia) for a song.

Ergo:
Good bet:
1. Makati CPO

Bad bet:
1. Mandaluyong CPO

I enjoin everybody to contribute to our lists.  Then we can try them out.
;)

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 14, 2001 at 09:12 AM »
Just read from the PDI this morning that the Bureau of Customs have exceeded their collection targets. Does this mean that BOC is getting more efficient in levying those taxes particularly our DVD purchases from Amazon?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the items i bought from amazom (total 13 titles + 1 cd) shipped via myusmailbox would escape the BOC's wrath!   :( :( :(

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 07:08 AM »
Whew! Already  recieved my 8 DVDs from Amazon via myUSmailbox.

No taxes!  :D :D :D

Offline RyanFelipe

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 28, 2001 at 12:09 AM »
Wow...thats really cool...what carried did the myusmailbox use to get in ur place?

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 28, 2001 at 03:29 AM »

Wow...thats really cool...what carried did the myusmailbox use to get in ur place?

I think they have their own freight forwarder which ships all myUSmailbox packages from the states by bulk and is received in their makati office. Then i opted for the door to door delivery option hence for an additional $2 they ship it from makati to my manila residence. However, shipping through the postal office is still much cheaper but with the customs axe hanging (and with the reputation of our postal system 'losing' packages especially during this christmas time), my personal opinion is myUSmailbox is the most cost effective for me compared to expedited international shipping via DHL for my amazon purchases. Tiyagaan lang ang paghintay ng 3-4 weeks (kasi iniipon pa yung maraming package sa merica), sigurado namang darating.

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2001 at 10:53 AM »
Bad bet: Las Piñas CPO  >:(

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 01:15 AM »
Related to this post, I have a question, you guys might know the answer:

I am currently in the States and had a buying spree of cheap DVD's.  So far I purchased about 15.  Will I be taxed at the airport when I get home?

If ever, how much?

Is there anything I can do to avoid this?  I mean this is all for personal use and not for business.

Thanks
Listen to the silence...

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 03:35 AM »

Related to this post, I have a question, you guys might know the answer:

I am currently in the States and had a buying spree of cheap DVD's.  So far I purchased about 15.  Will I be taxed at the airport when I get home?

If ever, how much?

Is there anything I can do to avoid this?  I mean this is all for personal use and not for business.

Thanks

Just don't call attention to the dvds.  take them out of the plastic wrap.  don't keep them all at one place.  if the custom inspector sees them, tell him/her they're used and you bought them second hand.  don't keep any receipts of the dvds.   ;)  

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 05:13 AM »

Just don't call attention to the dvds.  take them out of the plastic wrap.  don't keep them all at one place.  if the custom inspector sees them, tell him/her they're used and you bought them second hand.  don't keep any receipts of the dvds.   ;)  

In short (ika-11 utos) wag kang pahuhuli!

;D ;D

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 12:50 PM »
Will Do, thanks for the tip guys
Listen to the silence...

Offline Dozer

• Collector
  • Where?
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 07, 2001 at 07:15 AM »
My experience:

Fedex $162.27 tax sa akin P863.00
DHL $232.32 tax sa akin P3041.00 :o
DHL $170.00 tax sa akin P2800.00 >:(
WorldMail $22.00 tax sa akin P20.00
WorldMail $19.00 tax sa akin P556.00 "X" kasi daw! :'(
WorldMail $45.00 tax sa akin P20.00 + lagay P100.00 ;)

DHL -  Sabi sa akin all package ay dumadaan sa custom.
Fedex - Minalas lang ata ako, pero mura lang naman ang charge... Send it as a gift, wala TAX!
WorldMail - Chambahan lang!

Hirap naman ng buhay!

Offline Spartacus

• Collector
  • I am Spartacus!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 08, 2001 at 12:12 AM »
Just got back from the Parañaque post office to pick up a two disc order from Amazon. No tax. They didn't even open the package.
"And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves."

Offline ZEPHYR

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • hello
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #44 on: Nov 08, 2001 at 01:07 AM »

Just got back from the Parañaque post office to pick up a two disc order from Amazon. No tax. They didn't even open the package.

Baka takot na rin ma-Anthrax sa packaging. He he he .. ;D  

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 09, 2001 at 05:19 AM »
??? I am as intrigued as Mr. Marx there. Ive just registered today with pinoy DVD and might hook up with MyUSmailbox since it sounds great and all i ever heard are good remarks about it. Anyway, i also regularly order at amazon and noticed that i dont get charged with customs by DHL too. I live in ayala alabang and have never paid any customs charge , except for one time i ordered a shotgun scope mount which ended up in las pinas  ??? . They say las pinas has customs but alabang PO does not, weird. Pls continue your story viper...

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 09, 2001 at 08:46 AM »
Which story?  ??? ???

Anyway, I still have two amazon orders on its way to my residence in 4 separate shipments.

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 10, 2001 at 02:33 AM »
OMG , my bad, I was probably too sleepy when I wrote that ,I didn't notice that there were four pages on the topic. Sorry for the confusion viper. When I said Mr.Marx, I was referring to Groucho on the 1st page.

Anyway, it really helps a bunch to read these experiences here. Why don't we add a topic which incorporates all the possible "tax-less" Post Offices in Metro Manila. That way, we can keep track of which PO's to avoid and use relatives addresses instead in order to avoid the levied taxes.

BTW Ayala Alabang Post Office is  ;D (recommended)
   Las Pinas Post Office is  >:(  (avoid it by all means)

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 10, 2001 at 12:46 PM »
OK, I see.

In a nutshell, all my orders shipped via myUSmail weren't taxed (so far) although the shipping fees is more expensive compared to worldmail, the shipping fees are comparable to international priority (courier) but i believe a little bit cheaper.

In all my DVD orders via different shipping options, I was only taxed once (and outrageously at that) when I mistakenly selected the international mail option and the order landed in a QC Postal Office at near NIA in EDSA, Diliman.

Offline sleepy

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 02:43 AM »
Does anyone know if Pasig Post Office is a good bet?  ::)

I just had a bad experience with the Mandaluyong PO. I was charged P1400 for $67 purchase.  :'( :'(

OMG , my bad, I was probably too sleepy when I wrote that ,I didn't notice that there were four pages on the topic. Sorry for the confusion viper. When I said Mr.Marx, I was referring to Groucho on the 1st page.

Anyway, it really helps a bunch to read these experiences here. Why don't we add a topic which incorporates all the possible "tax-less" Post Offices in Metro Manila. That way, we can keep track of which PO's to avoid and use relatives addresses instead in order to avoid the levied taxes.

BTW Ayala Alabang Post Office is  ;D (recommended)
   Las Pinas Post Office is  >:(  (avoid it by all means)

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 03:01 AM »

Does anyone know if Pasig Post Office is a good bet?  ::)

I just had a bad experience with the Mandaluyong PO. I was charged P1400 for $67 purchase.  :'( :'(

I have some packages coming to me through the Pasig Central Post office.  I'll tell you what happens.  Last time something was delivered to me I just paid P20.00 on a shipment worth $24.00.

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 03:47 AM »
  Nakatatlong pick-up na ako sa Pasig P.O.  A few DVD's, and a VHS tape.  In all 3 instances, palaging 20 peso handling fee lang ang binabayaran ko.  
  But just to be on the safe side, keep your packages to a minimum of 2 or 3.  Baka iba na ang usapan pag maramihan na, e.  

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 10:28 PM »
I used to send my packages to a P.O. Box in UN, where my bro-in law's brother knows the people. I was not charged except the 20 fee each for my 4 or 5 boxes from Amazon but recently there was a shuffling of personnel. I was charged 800+ for 3 discs i received recently bec. i could not stop the orders since they've been sent already.
i tried to send a package to my address here in davao, sana walang tax.

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 24, 2001 at 05:00 AM »

I have some packages coming to me through the Pasig Central Post office.  I'll tell you what happens.  Last time something was delivered to me I just paid P20.00 on a shipment worth $24.00.

Ok, my amazon.com package valued at $51.41 just arrived after nearly a month from the time it was sent.  I picked it up from the Pasig Central Post office and all I had to pay was P 20.00.   ;D  :P

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 24, 2001 at 05:26 AM »
  Mabuhay ang Pasig Post Office!  Come to think of it, wala pa yatang nadadale sa Pasig P.O. dito sa pinoydvd, a.
Bakit kaya?

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #55 on: Nov 24, 2001 at 06:43 AM »
I don't know if this will help.  When you pick up your orders from the PO, try to be at the PO a few minutes before they open (before 8 am). Usually the customs officer are late in arriving.  So whenever I get my order and there's no customs officers around, they don't bother opening the package.  Minsan sinasabihan pa nga ako na "maswerte ka at wala pa ang customs officer".  That way, I have avoided being taxed for my dvd orders (for the past 2 years).  Probably it also helps na kilala na ako ng naka-duty doon since lagi akong nagpipick-up ng package.

Offline mic_09

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 24, 2001 at 07:05 AM »
i claimed my pre-ordered ultimate jordan 2 disc dvd package last nov 14 at the San Juan PO. I ordered it last Oct 19 at Amazon. It cost me $26.xx together with shipping and handling. Just paid 20 pesos for the package. :)

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 24, 2001 at 03:24 PM »

I don't know if this will help.  When you pick up your orders from the PO, try to be at the PO a few minutes before they open (before 8 am). Usually the customs officer are late in arriving.  ...

Hey, that's a good tip. I'll try it this Monday when I pick up a package. Thanks!  :) If it comes down to it, I'll bring a friend along as a "look out."  If he sees the customs officer approaching, he'll intercept the officer and chat him up, ask him a lot of innocent questions to further delay him.  ;)

Offline pioneer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 24, 2001 at 05:05 PM »
When you are picking up orders from abroad sa Post Office, especially sa Makati, wear ORDINARY CLOTHES. Dati nung me kinuha akong items na inorder ko sa Amazon, I went there na naka office attire. Siningil ako ng P2000+ ng customs. Nung paalis ako me lumapit sa akin at sinabi na kausapin mo yung isang tao sa loob baka maibaba yun charge sa yo. Nung kinausap ko yung tao, tinanong niya kung magkano amg laman ng wallet ko. I showed him P600 and he took it.

Well, I don't give a damn kung nag-contribute ako sa katarantaduhan ng gobyerno natin, P600 is really different from P2000+.

One of my officemates wore a basic weekend attire when he picked up his Amazon items there -- no charges were given to him by customs.

Sa Caloocan Post Office walang customs charges. P20 lang ang babayaran mo for Postal Service Fee.

Teka...baka me mga taga-customs dito na makabasa nitoing thread na ito (careful, careful)

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas !!!  ;D
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #59 on: Nov 24, 2001 at 05:52 PM »
2 years ago, when I was still ordering from Reel.com (now bancrupt), my packages used to be delivered directly to our house like regular mail.  Every once in a while, I would receive a parcel notice for me to pick-up certain packages ( when order contains >1 dvd).  But then, that was 2 years ago, at hindi pa siguro familiar ang customs officials sa dvd kaya pinalulusot.  Now that marami na umoorder from the web, I think nakahalata na rin sila, and they're more vigilant.  Reel.com uses a more compact box which exactly fits a dvd so maliit lang ang package.  Nowadays, I order from TAU which uses a big box (even for just 1 dvd) so I always end up picking up the package from the PO.  Fortunately, my technique of going to the PO early works for me.  Im not familiar na with the box which amazon uses.  I remember ordering dvds from them in the past and I think they also have a big box (plus the label amazon.com which alerts the customs officer that the package is most likely taxable).  Last month, I ordered ultimate jordan from cdnow, and was surprised that again, it was delivered directly to our house like regular mail.  Box is also compact (like the box barnesandnoble.com uses for their books) and only a small label of cdnow.  Again, the bottomline is try to order only 1 dvd/order.  If you want to order a lot of dvds and want to save on shipping, order from stores which deliver dvd as they become available (at no extra cost) like TAU, cdnow.  Amazon would ship orders when all dvds in the order are already available, and the very conspicuous label of amazon.com puts you at risk of being taxed.  Probably, one can start a thread wherein we can list the type of box/packaging that different dvd etailers uses for dvd orders.  The smaller, the better.