Author Topic: Flat vs Curve 55" 4K TVs, which to buy?  (Read 2927 times)

Offline nallasartal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Flat vs Curve 55" 4K TVs, which to buy?
« on: Nov 27, 2016 at 06:16 PM »
I know that "google" is an option to search such kind of question. But I want to know the answer from the point of view of owners of both kinds of 55" 4K TVs. Meaning, actual experiences of persons using them rather than just some technical distinctions between the two by some tech guys in the net...

I am scouting for 55" 4K TVs and I have come across the curved Samsung 55KU6300 which is priced at 44,995.00. while the flat Samsung 55KU6000 is pegged at 50,995.00. Thus, while usually, curved TVs are priced higher that the flat ones, this is the exception....

Hope to hear from anyone here. Thanks

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1444
Re: Flat vs Curve 55" 4K TVs, which to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2016 at 06:40 PM »
Some reviews dont favor the curved due to viewing angle and glare.

The price could be a good indication that the curved tv's are not selling and the flats are still favored hence the price difference.

They are already pricing the curved to dispose

Offline nallasartal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2016 at 06:48 PM »
Thanks @oznola...

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2016 at 07:57 PM »
Some reviews dont favor the curved due to viewing angle and glare.

The price could be a good indication that the curved tv's are not selling and the flats are still favored hence the price difference.

They are already pricing the curved to dispose
kaya pala bagsak presyo ang curved tv.

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2016 at 08:18 PM »
Not all curved Samsung panels are equal. The "KS" series is well above the specs of "KU" series.

The one plausible reason why "KU" panels saw a price drop (but not necessarily in the case of "KS" panels) can be attributed to this (with reference to KU7000 but also applies to other "KU" panels such as KU6300):

"x x x the rest of the KU-Series TVs don’t come with the full package of UHD Alliance-certified specs for Ultra HD Premium levels of dynamic range. The KU7000 does come with what Samsung calls HDR Premium technology but this isn’t the same as the superior brightness, black levels and color of HDR1000 that are found in the SUHD TVs. In other words, for viewing the latest high dynamic range content from sources like 4K Blu-ray and Netflix, the KU7000 and other KU TVs won’t deliver quite the impressive quality we’ve seen in the KS TVs in the 2016 SUHD lineup."

http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ku7000-series-4k-uhd-smart-flat-led-tv-review-un49ku7000-un55ku7000/

IMHO, choosing a curved panel boils down to a personal matter of taste, having owned both flat and curved panels. While I have not been bothered by the viewing angle issue of curved panels (simply because I prefer to sit dead-center in my own man-cave), I will not mind watching my favorite movie on an excellent flat 4k panel if I choose to.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2016 at 08:43 PM by traveler69 »

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2016 at 09:06 PM »
Not all curved Samsung panels are equal. The "KS" series is well above the specs of "KU" series.

The one plausible reason why "KU" panels saw a price drop (but not necessarily in the case of "KS" panels) can be attributed to this (with reference to KU7000 but also applies to other "KU" panels such as KU6300)
kaya pala bagsak prices ng KU series nila, sa Ansons kanina sa ATC offer sa akin ng UA-55KU6500 is P37.8K nalang sa cash, dating P86,999 yun.

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2016 at 09:17 PM »
kaya pala bagsak prices ng KU series nila, sa Ansons kanina sa ATC offer sa akin ng UA-55KU6500 is P37.8K nalang sa cash, dating P86,999 yun.

Yes, that's right.

However, for the kind of discounts they give, that's not a bad deal because you still get a big-name panel with full 2-year warranty. If I happen to need a new panel that I wish to use as an "everyday"  TV just for watching news and other local programming (which are mostly low-res), I'd pick a discounted Samsung KU series.

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2016 at 09:18 PM »
Yes, that's right.

However, for the kind of discounts they give, that's not a bad deal because you still get a big-name panel with full 2-year warranty. If I happen to need a new panel that I wish to use as an "everyday"  TV just for watching news and other local programming (which are mostly low-res), I'd pick a discounted Samsung KU series.
oo mura parin naman talaga..Thanks! :)

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2016 at 11:16 PM »
Get the 2016 SUHD models, specifically the KS series.  These are Ultra HD Premium certified - 1000+ nits, etc.

Online Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2016 at 12:27 AM »
Slightly OT: I would still wait until post holiday season before getting a panel simply because I've seen prices drop even lower come mid-January.

If you have lots of family/guests coming over and you absolutely must have a tv asap, then get the flat panel.

Sent using Tapatalk

Online Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2016 at 12:28 AM »
Slightly OT: I would still wait until post holiday season before getting a panel simply because I've seen prices drop even lower come mid-January.

If you have lots of family/guests coming over and you absolutely must have a tv asap, then get the flat panel.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2016 at 12:34 AM »

Sent using Tapatalk
Dalawin kita sir para bumili ka ng new tv?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2016 at 02:26 AM »

Sent using Tapatalk
At kung ayaw mong mapagastos, sarado na muna bahay ikaw ang bumisita sa kamaganak.

Nakatipid ka na sa TV, nakatipid ka pa sa tsibug.
Yun nga lang at alam mo naman na---  sa kinahabahaba ng prusisyon, sa simbahan pa rin ang tungo.

Billie Jean mo na :)

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

toy

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2016 at 08:24 AM »
Regardless of which one you buy, check if it's an 8-bit (16.7M colors) or a true 10-bit (1.08B colors) panel, can display true HDR content, and is Ultra HD Premium  certified (look for UHDP logo). VA panels have the best contrast (next to OLEDs) while IPS panels have good side viewability.

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2016 at 04:59 PM »
Get the 2016 SUHD models, specifically the KS series.  These are Ultra HD Premium certified - 1000+ nits, etc.
Wait mode muna ako para sa pagbaba ng price ng KS series. :)