Author Topic: Anyone skilled in soldering or servicing VHS/Betamax?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Disharmony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Anyone skilled in soldering or servicing VHS/Betamax?
« on: Dec 03, 2023 at 07:24 PM »
I have an S-VHS player with faulty capacitors due to age and my hand-eye coordination isn't too good for DIY soldering. Finding an electrician who could do this is hard because not all electricians can solder and not all solderers are willing to service anything beyond fixing thumbsticks.

Also have a VCR with a belt problem and a Betamax that powers on but with non-functioning buttons.

Hopefully the wiser and more established people here in PDVD would be able to point me to the right person :)
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2023 at 12:47 PM by Disharmony »

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1443
Re: Anyone skilled in soldering or servicing VHS/Betamax?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2023 at 09:10 PM »
mahirap na mag hanap ng skilled pero you may wanna try celfone techs if straight forward naman ang gagawin.

Offline Disharmony

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2023 at 09:18 PM »
Nakahanap na pala ako thanks to some backreading here and texting him to confirm: Carlos Sumayao. Will bring some of my vintage gear to him and hopefully he's able to resolve them. :)

Offline t-bone

• Trade Count: (+243)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 592
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2023 at 06:00 AM »
Nakahanap na pala ako thanks to some backreading here and texting him to confirm: Carlos Sumayao. Will bring some of my vintage gear to him and hopefully he's able to resolve them. :)

Share naman contact no ni Carlos Sumayao😊
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2023 at 09:45 AM »
Fellas, pay Carlos well cause his skill is very rare. Kahit 1k para matuwa siya.

I think you fellas want to resurrect your VHS/betamax to make a copy of past personal videos?

Offline zonks

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3145
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2023 at 11:28 AM »

may fb sya bro same name lang

Offline Disharmony

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2023 at 07:11 PM »

From his FB page: 0920-6233148 :)

Fellas, pay Carlos well cause his skill is very rare. Kahit 1k para matuwa siya.

I was actually a bit intimidated when I saw the equipment he's worked with in the past like McIntosh and Classé akala ko he was going to be way past my budget. Surprised to see that he's just on his own working out of a small apartment. I will definitely compensate him fairly for his services.

Medyo nakaka-sad din na guys like him are getting up there in age and soon they won't be available to do this anymore. Wala man lang sa new breed of electricians, solderers, gadgeteers have the skills or interest to carry on their craft. It's also disappointing na I thought they didn't exist anymore kasi kulang sa advertisement at nachambahan ko lang on a closed community like this. I'm sure there's plenty out there looking for anyone who could fix VHS, beta, tape decks, old-ass integrated amplifiers, and so on.

I think you fellas want to resurrect your VHS/betamax to make a copy of past personal videos?

I'm an archivist as a hobby. I try to find lost media out of tapes and put it out on the internet. The equipment is often in bad shape or not working (esp betamax or prosumer rigs like s-vhs) so need talaga ng someone proficient with that tech to recondition or restore it.

If any of you know anyone who still has tapes rotting in their cabinets or something, hook a brother up! lol
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2023 at 07:22 PM by Disharmony »

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
I'm an archivist as a hobby. I try to find lost media out of tapes and put it out on the internet. The equipment is often in bad shape or not working (esp betamax or prosumer rigs like s-vhs) so need talaga ng someone proficient with that tech to recondition or restore it.

If any of you know anyone who still has tapes rotting in their cabinets or something, hook a brother up! lol

I will lead you to the rabbit hole...

https://old.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Saan location ni Carlos? Wanted to check here, before messaging him.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Offline Disharmony

• Collector
  • Liked:
^ Sa may compound just along Quirino Hway. Very tricky at first kasi may 283 din na junk shop at the exact same location, but the correct one is the orange gate with 283 beside the sari-sari store.

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
^ Sa may compound just along Quirino Hway. Very tricky at first kasi may 283 din na junk shop at the exact same location, but the correct one is the orange gate with 283 beside the sari-sari store.
Salamat sir.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Offline Disharmony

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2023 at 12:49 PM »
Update: Nakuha ko na po mga VCRs.

Yung betamax negative. So hanap hanap ulit for someone who could fix a beta.

Offline Disharmony

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2024 at 12:13 PM »
Any other leads on who could possibly repair a betamax player? lol