Author Topic: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS  (Read 138799 times)

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 06:11 PM »
Update:

I tried all sorts of things to get the wired ethernet faster pero ayaw talaga.

So I buckled and bought a NEW Wifi router (again). This time a Dual Band 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz router.

Coupled with my PLDT Fibr connection my Wifi speeds increased from around 50Mbps to around 80~100Mbps using speedtest.net that I sideloaded into the Mi Box.

Even with all that improvement talagang ayaw mag play ng 60GB 4K file + HD Audio without stutter so I just stopped trying. I will just plug in my HD direct to the Mi Box for those uber large files (it's not like I can download a lot of 60GB files everyday anyway). However I can play Bluray 1080P ISOs from Wifi so I'm still happy with that.

Anyway I DID begin my Netflix subscription and chose the plan that allowed me to play HD + 5.1

BOOM! Netflix HD plays... no mess, no fuss...

So what did I learn....

Screw collections ha ha ha ha! The future is really streaming everything so for this purpose panalo yung Mi Box. Small, fast,

If Spotify made my stop downloading mp3s and actually made me a paying subscriber, Netflix will also have my money. I will just move my existing budget for Skycable to Netflix. Mas masaya lahat and I have the mahiwagang black box in case of emergencies like calamities that hit our country na kailangan ng news.

So in the end. I do NOT recommend this for those who want open and possibly rooted Android TV Boxes. The Mi box is in general Google's view of Android TV so it's a bit closed to protect IP copyright holders like Netflix.

I learned a lot from this exercise. Talagang mas mabilis na Wifi technology ngayon. I don't need to keep stressing wiring the house with ethernet anymore.

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 06:17 PM »
^nice info chief.

Offline xxadonisxx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 06:21 PM »
@scifi-fan
just a suggestion,  why won't you invest in a more powerful box say nvidia shield.  You were able to upgrade to AC router,  subscribe to fibr and HD Netflix,  maybe a more powerful box would plug all the loopholes in your experience.  You mentioned streaming,  you may want to try geforce now,  it is like Netflix but instead streaming games.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 07:20 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions. It's really most appreciated.

No doubt the NVidia is a top notch choice. A lot swear by it.

However I need to equip 2 more rooms in the house with streaming so I have to budget affording multiple units.

Plus I love the research I made, it's fun to learn stuff again to keep myself abreast what's happening sa tech.

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 07:37 PM »
Next step in streaming is iplayer for UK shows and showtime /hbo go in the US.. I hope the router you bought has very flexible vpn settings

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Offline shoestrings

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #65 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 01:13 PM »
@scifi-fan
Can you test if the chromecast functionality of the MB3 works? I remember Nexus Player have this feature. Thanks.  :)
I spent the summer wasting
The time was passed so easily

Offline bongchillog

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #66 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 03:03 PM »
Next step in streaming is iplayer for UK shows and showtime /hbo go in the US.. I hope the router you bought has very flexible vpn settings

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

How much ba ang vpn router ngayon. May recommended kang model sir?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 03:12 PM »
@scifi-fan
Can you test if the chromecast functionality of the MB3 works? I remember Nexus Player have this feature. Thanks.  :)
Yes it does. You will find mi3 as a chromecast device when you start an app that supports casting , as long as you are connected on the same network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 03:20 PM »

How much ba ang vpn router ngayon. May recommended kang model sir?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The website flashrouters is selling them ..  , but I am using a linksys e6900 with modded firmware ..

They say the net gear r7000 is one of the better choices.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 03:42 PM »
Yes it does. You will find mi3 as a chromecast device when you start an app that supports casting , as long as you are connected on the same network.

Great to hear that. I still use my chromecast and its great to still have that feature included with with ATV OS.  :)

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 08:31 PM »
I tested Chromecast on the Mi Box using those Jollibee commercials ... it works pero naiyak ako hahahahahah!

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 08:55 PM »
I tested Chromecast on the Mi Box using those Jollibee commercials ... it works pero naiyak ako hahahahahah!

Hahahaha..  Thanks.. I might consider getting one tomorrow.. :)

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #72 on: Feb 10, 2017 at 08:59 PM »
The website flashrouters is selling them ..  , but I am using a linksys e6900 with modded firmware ..

They say the net gear r7000 is one of the better choices.

VPN is a standard feature on Asus routers. Here's a sample of the settings page on an online demo of asus routers:

http://demoui.asus.com/Advanced_VPNClient_Content.asp

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 04:37 PM »
hey anyone here experiencing the tvq-pm-100 error for netflix with the MB3? Thanks!

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 05:03 PM »
hey anyone here experiencing the tvq-pm-100 error for netflix with the MB3? Thanks!
"switch from 4k2k60hz to 4k2k24hz" or "turned off HDR" quoted from here https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/5joqjh/mi_box_and_netflix_hate_each_other/

bulok xiaomi benta mo na lang tapos bili ka shield tv hehe
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2017 at 05:10 PM by xxadonisxx »

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 05:38 PM »
"switch from 4k2k60hz to 4k2k24hz" or "turned off HDR" quoted from here https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/5joqjh/mi_box_and_netflix_hate_each_other/

bulok xiaomi benta mo na lang tapos bili ka shield tv hehe

yeah already tried that from reddit.
Nah, I'll stick with MB3 for a while.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 08:21 PM »
I am fortunate to have both the MB3 as well as a Samsung UHD Smart TV that has Netflix as part of its apps.

I've gotten those errors too BUT the times I had them, I also tested with the Samsung TV alone using Netflix and getting the same problem. It tells me there's congestion in the internet even though I am on a farily high internet plan.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 21, 2017 at 11:47 AM »
Today I went to various gadget stores after my chores to look around.

To my surprise I saw a lot of iterations of the Mi Box. White ones, Black ones, ones with add'l Micro SD port, some with additional Micro USB port and one even with a air mouse remote for gaming.

I took pictures of these variations in models and googled them all.

It's a good thing too because NONE of them have english firmware and like some of XiaoMi's products are region locked to the Chinese market so the firmware is in chinese, no playstore, no netflix etc.

Do NOT be fooled. From my readings you can NOT use any other XiaoMi Mi box internationally except for Model # MDZ-16-AB. Always ensure you are getting this particular international model of the Mi Box to avoid a lot of pain and wasted money.

A lot have tried re-flashing (or rather bricking their box) however all are just half-baked attempts to squeeze some functionality. You have to realize the Mi Box 3 is only 1 of 2 (the other is the Nvidia Shield) that is recognized as a real Android TV certified device (www.android.com/tv). So in the future when other services become available here (like Hulu or even Amazon Prime), the international version "should" work automatically.

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #78 on: Feb 21, 2017 at 04:29 PM »
^ happy to have both NVidia Shield & Sony Android TV =)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #79 on: Feb 21, 2017 at 04:50 PM »
Bought this for my Samsung 4ktv and I'm having issues with mkv playback. Sometimes there are very minor stuttering, but my main issue is its quality especially only dark scenes (grainy and/or pixelated). I've tried setting the auto switch to best resolution to on/off, now I'm just fixed to 4k24hz setting. Based on all your comments, mkv playback shouldn't be an issue. Btw, I'm playing 50gb mkv files which are supposed to be 4k, but even 1080p/720p mkvs have the same issue on dark scenes. Any suggestions sirs? thanks

No issues with streaming from kodi or netflix though.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 21, 2017 at 09:00 PM »
Bought this for my Samsung 4ktv and I'm having issues with mkv playback. Sometimes there are very minor stuttering, but my main issue is its quality especially only dark scenes (grainy and/or pixelated). I've tried setting the auto switch to best resolution to on/off, now I'm just fixed to 4k24hz setting. Based on all your comments, mkv playback shouldn't be an issue. Btw, I'm playing 50gb mkv files which are supposed to be 4k, but even 1080p/720p mkvs have the same issue on dark scenes. Any suggestions sirs? thanks

No issues with streaming from kodi or netflix though.

I've also experienced those with the Samsung. I've also tried turning HDR on and off.

I'm also assuming those 50GB files you have are probably the same from where I sourced mine which isn't .... legit.

I drilled it down to really poor encoding. If you don't believe me, you really have to make your own 4K videos using a high-end DSLR camera. I did and I did not get the artifacts. Also, you can try the youtube app and look for 4K samples there. When the sample is playing, press the down on the ring controller (to see the playback menu options) and select the "HQ" icon to choose 4K to ensure you're getting a 4K stream from youtube.

As for Netflix, it's also been excellent but I haven't found a show there that is 4K (yet) to test. Everything else is great though.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017 at 09:01 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #81 on: Feb 21, 2017 at 11:16 PM »
Yeah that's what I thought, since sample 4k videos in netflix and youtube has no issues. Just assumed that quality would've been better if downloaded instead of stream (broadband speed factors, etc). Anyway, thanks for the reply chief  ;)

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 22, 2017 at 09:37 AM »
As for Netflix, it's also been excellent but I haven't found a show there that is 4K (yet) to test. Everything else is great though.
i think you need to be subscribed to highest tier plan of netflix in order for 4k content to show. i have been watching several shows in 4k+HDR like marco polo, daredevil, etc. since last year

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Feb 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM »
I just checked my netflix acct.. yes I am on 4 screens + ultraHD.

I guess I was watching on 4K then. I finished daredevil season 2 last night (galing!).

Update:

It seems the current Netflix app on the Mi Box only works up to HD + 5.1. On the Native Netflix App on the Samsung, I can get UltraHD, HDR + 5.1. Not a big problem for me. I will use the Samsung Netflix app while the version on the Mi Box gets sorted out.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2017 at 04:46 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 22, 2017 at 05:33 PM »
Yeah that's what I thought, since sample 4k videos in netflix and youtube has no issues. Just assumed that quality would've been better if downloaded instead of stream (broadband speed factors, etc). Anyway, thanks for the reply chief  ;)

what's your Samsung TV model?  And which app are you playing your downloaded 4K 50GB movie file?  you mentioned that any other 1080/720 file you played also manifests the same observation.  so I guess it's the TV and/or the app player you're using.  perhaps this should have something to do with the settings as well.

no other owner of this MiB3 stated the same observation/issue...

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 22, 2017 at 05:51 PM »
Samsung UHD Series 6 TV Curved

App used to play 4K MKV is Kodi's native player.

To compare I downloaded 2 MKV of SAME title.

1 was encoded HEVC 10bit 4k, the other is encoded more traditionally with 1080P x264.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 22, 2017 at 06:10 PM »
^ hoping @RNIverson could isolate what his issue's rootcause is =))

sir scifi-fan, have you also tried 10bit 1080p x264? okay din ba kay MiB3?  kay WeTek Hub may issue pa yan, but if 10bit x265 either 4K or 1080p, it's flawless sa Hub...

thanks!

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2017 at 06:24 PM »
Checking... checking...

No.. I don't have 10bit 1080P x264 samples. I am used to standard 1080P by known encoders that have been around for years and those are all x.264 that plays perfect on all boxes from the popcorn hour days :)

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2017 at 06:28 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline titor

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #88 on: Feb 23, 2017 at 03:45 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on this one. I'm not sure if someone already answered the question if a USB hub works
That awkward moment when I'm drunk and you're still ugly.

Offline backdraft

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #89 on: Feb 23, 2017 at 04:54 AM »
Today I went to various gadget stores after my chores to look around.

To my surprise I saw a lot of iterations of the Mi Box. White ones, Black ones, ones with add'l Micro SD port, some with additional Micro USB port and one even with a air mouse remote for gaming.

I took pictures of these variations in models and googled them all.

It's a good thing too because NONE of them have english firmware and like some of XiaoMi's products are region locked to the Chinese market so the firmware is in chinese, no playstore, no netflix etc.

Do NOT be fooled. From my readings you can NOT use any other XiaoMi Mi box internationally except for Model # MDZ-16-AB. Always ensure you are getting this particular international model of the Mi Box to avoid a lot of pain and wasted money.

A lot have tried re-flashing (or rather bricking their box) however all are just half-baked attempts to squeeze some functionality. You have to realize the Mi Box 3 is only 1 of 2 (the other is the Nvidia Shield) that is recognized as a real Android TV certified device (www.android.com/tv). So in the future when other services become available here (like Hulu or even Amazon Prime), the international version "should" work automatically.

bro, where can we source the Model # MDZ-16-AB? any sources locally? thanks!