Author Topic: The "Seinfeld" Thread  (Read 9134 times)

NY152

• Trade Count: (0)
The "Seinfeld" Thread
« on: Jun 30, 2002 at 09:11 PM »
[Cheers discussion is minimal, so the thread has been renamed]

For the Frasier fans out there, this is just a heads up that the 80s comedy classic Cheers starts its daily run on Star World tomorrow, at 6:30PM (replacing 3rd Rock From The Sun).

Get to know Sam & Dianne, Cliff & Norm, Carla and Coach. Later, get to meet Frasier & Lilith, Woody and Rebecca. See why this is one of the most loved and highest rated situation comedies of all time.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2009 at 10:38 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:CHEERS on Star World
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2002 at 11:02 PM »
to think i was just thinking about cheers just back week ;D

am so glad star decided to replace third rock. was never really a fan of this mediocre show (i love john lithgow but he was way too irritating in the series). there really IS a god.

i hope they decide to air seinfeld next. that would be really sweet!

NY152

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2002 at 05:49 PM »

i hope they decide to air seinfeld next. that would be really sweet!

sungit, you have excellent taste in TV shows.

Though I don't wish Seinfeld would be next, since I have every single episode.  8)

Television: Not a hobby... an addiction.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2002 at 11:12 PM »

sungit, you have excellent taste in TV shows.

Though I don't wish Seinfeld would be next, since I have every single episode.  8)

Television: Not a hobby... an addiction.

NO WAY!! on dvd??? i'm such a huge fan. personally, i think seasons 4 and 5 were the best. but that discussion's for a whole different thread altogether.

anyway, where'd you get the eps???

NY152

« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2002 at 12:00 AM »

NO WAY!!

Way.   8)

on dvd???

I wish! I just have all 180 episodes on Divx format on 11 CDs. I've actually only seen maybe 80, which I have on VHS. I downloaded the entire series, but haven't watched a single downloaded episode. It's just nice to know that it's there. I did test each one, though, to make sure everything was working.

I believe the only DVDs of this series are the ones Jerry had pressed for the cast as a season finale present.

i'm such a huge fan. personally, i think seasons 4 and 5 were the best. but that discussion's for a whole different thread altogether.

I'm not sure if there's a Seinfeld thread, so I guess it's okay to discuss it here. I'll change the thread title...

I'd have to agree with you. I did not like the earlier seasons, particularly the first few episodes. But by Season 4's "The Virgin" - "The Contest" pair of episodes, I was completely hooked. I even have the official Seinfeld "Master of My Domain" t-shirt.  :)

anyway, where'd you get the eps???

Three weeks of overnight downloads on Kazaa. While I slept.  ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
Re:CHEERS & SEINFELD: American Comedy Classics
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 01:40 AM »
considering that most people consider 'the show about nothing' to be one of the best shows to ever grace american television, it's always baffled me how in its entire run, it only got 2 (correct me if i'm wrong) emmys compared to frasier's millions and john lithgow's multiple emmys for best actor (third rock?? hellooo). granted that jerry seinfeld himself is NOT one great actor (or even a mediocre actor for that matter), but i think michael richards and jason alexander deserved some gold statuettes. not to mention the writers too.

sigh. i miss watching seinfeld.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 11:33 AM »
considering that most people consider 'the show about nothing' to be one of the best shows to ever grace american television, it's always baffled me how in its entire run, it only got 2 (correct me if i'm wrong) emmys compared to frasier's millions and john lithgow's multiple emmys for best actor (third rock?? hellooo). granted that jerry seinfeld himself is NOT one great actor (or even a mediocre actor for that matter), but i think michael richards and jason alexander deserved some gold statuettes. not to mention the writers too.

sigh. i miss watching seinfeld.

It's because the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is an insiders' club. Look at how many great shows have passed through unnoticed. The many many snubs for the risky, brilliant seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer are a sore point with its fans. And then there's Gilmore Girls. Farscape. The late, lamented, Now and Again, which could have been saved by an Emmy nod or seven. The trend-setting Friends.

Curiously, the Emmys seem to award the shows with fanbases that aren't that fanatical, or big. They don't like risk-taking shows (save The Sopranos and Sex and the City, and many credit that to HBO's good marketing sense). They're hopelessly MOR, and they like to reward established networks. There's no explaining them. And because they refuse to explain their choices in turn, they're losing respect and going by way of the dinosaur. Which are their just desserts, I would have to say.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2002 at 06:17 PM by Holly Golightly »

NY152

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 05:50 PM »

considering that most people consider 'the show about nothing' to be one of the best shows to ever grace american television, it's always baffled me how in its entire run, it only got 2 (correct me if i'm wrong) emmys compared to frasier's millions and john lithgow's multiple emmys for best actor (third rock?? hellooo).

Holly said the points that were on my mind about the Emmys. If I remember right, they also have a weird voting or nominating system, which tends to favor shows which skew to older (40something) demographics.

i think michael richards and jason alexander deserved some gold statuettes. not to mention the writers too.

Whoops... I just decided to check on the Emmys. Seinfeld wasn't too ignored, after all. The show won a total of 10 Emmys. Michael Richards won a total of THREE for best supporting actor and Julia Louis Dreyfus won one as best supporting actress in a comedy series. Jason Alexander was nominated several times but never won. The show won a writing Emmy for... surprise, surprise: "The Contest," and also won for Outstanding Comedy Series that year, the 4th season we've been praising.

I wasn't too fond of the last season. I think "The Betrayal" was pushing it (though it's interesting that this "reverse episode" came way before MEMENTO), and the Final episode was the worst episode of all time.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 06:24 PM »

I wasn't too fond of the last season. I think "The Betrayal" was pushing it (though it's interesting that this "reverse episode" came way before MEMENTO), and the Final episode was the worst episode of all time.

I think I saw that once nung may I Channel pa sa Sky (bale nung Sky pa ako) <looong time ago> I liked the thing with the "yadda yadda" <I imitated Jerry Stiller yelling "Serenity NOW!" for days> from the last season. I liked it when Susan died from licking envelopes, because I'm a sick little b!tch. Let's see, what else? I liked the thing where they're just standing in line waiting to get into the Chinese restaurant. What was it called? (If it's "The Chinese Restaurant" I'm going to kill myself :) ) I liked "The Contest," and thought Marla the Virgin was hysterical. But my absolute favorite has to be the episode where they reacted to every mention of homosexuality with "Not that there's anything wrong with that." Again, memfaulting with the title, but it's the same season as "The Contest," isn't it?

I'm only just discovering "Cheers". So far, it's pretty good, although I don't entirely get the charm of Shelley Long. Or is her absent charm the entire point to Diane Chambers?

NY152

« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 10:16 PM »

Let's see, what else? I liked the thing where they're just standing in line waiting to get into the Chinese restaurant. What was it called? (If it's "The Chinese Restaurant" I'm going to kill myself :) )

I certainly hope you don't have a weapon on you, since that's EXACTLY what it was called.  ;D

"Not that there's anything wrong with that." Again, memfaulting with the title, but it's the same season as "The Contest," isn't it?

Yes, this episode is "The Outing", also from Season Four. It's kind of a companion piece to "The Contest", due to the hospital silhouette sequences... funny stuff!

I'm only just discovering "Cheers". So far, it's pretty good, although I don't entirely get the charm of Shelley Long. Or is her absent charm the entire point to Diane Chambers?

Her entire "Miss Goody Two Shoes" routine is exactly the point to her. I'm disappointed at StarWorld, though, for starting with the episodes with Woody Harrelson already.  You need to know the entire relationship arc of Sam and Dianne to fully enjoy the show.

Surprisingly, I think Shelley Long's departure is exactly what SAVED the show and made it a longer lasting hit. I mean, once you break the sexual tension between two leads in a sitcom, what's left? So her exit and the addition of Kirstie Allie to the cast was the fresh breath of air the show needed at the exact point when it should've seen its ratings take a nosedive.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2002 at 12:46 AM »
Well, I thought it wasn't so much Danson and Alley as the development of the Frasier and his girlfriend/wife characters that kept the show going...

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2002 at 01:43 AM »
hey i thought it was more between cliff and norm ;D

finally got to catch it the other day. was surprised to see that they started off with woody and not coach. sayang. i agree with NY 152 that they should've started showing the series from the very beginning -- to see how the relationships started and evolved into the woody season.

as for favorite seinfeld shows, lordy there's sooo many -- from all the seasons!! but the best of the best IMO have to be:

The Library
The Pez Dispenser
The Boyfriend
The Virgin
The Contest
The Airport
The Pick
The Outing
The Puffy Shirt
The Cigar Store Indian
The Opposite
The Jimmy
The Engagement
The Invitations
The Little Kicks
and The Little Jerry

had to go through my seinfeld files for that! oh, if only the show had dvds (or vhs or vcd)...

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2002 at 09:53 AM »
Soup Nazi

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2002 at 01:04 AM »
Cliff and Norm were always there (Cliff not in the first few eps, but he did show up and quickly sprouted a personality--you know like foot fungus :D).

Frasier and his squeeze were the new thing that developed after Diane left.  Them and Danson & Alley.  I just thought they were funnier than Danson & Alley.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2002 at 11:31 PM »

Cliff and Norm were always there (Cliff not in the first few eps, but he did show up and quickly sprouted a personality--you know like foot fungus :D).

Frasier and his squeeze were the new thing that developed after Diane left.  Them and Danson & Alley.  I just thought they were funnier than Danson & Alley.

I agree. Lilith (Bebe Newirth) and Frasier were funnier. Woody, all by himself with his innocence was next, played perfectly by Woody Harrelson. Kirstie Alley was next and then Carla.

As for Sam (Ted Danson), he's not that hot. I don't quite get what the hoopla was about him being a womanizer.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2002 at 01:27 AM »
Lilith!  Thankee, Kaka.

Agree with your list there.  

So what do you think of the Urian list (pls answer in da oder thread, thanks)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2002 at 10:01 AM »

Lilith!  Thankee, Kaka.

Agree with your list there.  

So what do you think of the Urian list (pls answer in da oder thread, thanks)

You're welcome Noel ...

As for the Urian, I am heading there now..

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2002 at 10:14 PM »
Tonight I realzed I think in terms of Seinfeld.

I was just watching CSI, and only one thing was going through my mind: It's Kenny Bania, the annoying comedian who gave Seinfeld that Armani suit! ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2002 at 06:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

My wife and I love watching Cheers!  Great comedies!!

;D ;D ;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 10:21 PM »
Is it coming soon?  Found the pic, but no news. :(  I want my SEINFELD too!

And we should add Frasier to this thread/category (Classic Comedies).
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2003 at 10:25 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 12:32 AM »
Re: CHEERS on DVD

As much as I love this show, I don't think I'm prepared to plunk down money to buy this set, since it will mean eventually collecting 275 episodes.

Way too much!

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 12:57 AM »
Re: CHEERS on DVD

As much as I love this show, I don't think I'm prepared to plunk down money to buy this set, since it will mean eventually collecting 275 episodes.

Way too much!

Pahiram pag nabili mo na ah.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 05:58 AM »
AKo rin pahiram.  Pila na kami ni Sickboy. ;D

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 10:53 PM »
Count me in on this one. I just don't think I'll buy all 275 episodes.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2003 at 11:02 PM »
Heads Up!

The Jerry Seinfeld-hosted episode of Saturday Night Live is currently airing on CNBC Asia.

This is the episode that features the TV Series crossover parody, "Seinfeld in Oz."

Go NOW, people.  ::)
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2003 at 11:05 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2003 at 07:25 AM »
Sayang, we don't have CNBC! :-\

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2003 at 10:35 AM »
Sayang, we don't have CNBC! :-\

Quick tip: You can search for "Seinfeld in Oz" on Kazaa.  ;)

Offline YanosAuldrin

• Apprentice
  • Fey Victus!!!!
  • Liked:
Seinfeld
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 10:40 PM »
Ei guys, anywhere in cable we can catch Seinfeld? This show rocks! Its a shop about nothing but still so good. HAs it been released in DVD or VCD?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re:Seinfeld
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 11:15 PM »
Seinfeld isn't currently on cable on any of the major cable providers in Metro Manila. I think those in the provinces get to see it on MNET's Series Channel?

The DVD of the first season (only 5 episodes) is due in December. The three costars have refused to participate in the special features, much to Jerry's dismay.

We have another Seinfeld thread on this board here.  :)

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Seinfeld
« Reply #29 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 08:40 AM »
actually, i believe they've al agreed na.

alam ko atleast George Castanza is (the real name's on the tip of my tongue, pero can't remember!) in.. and so was Kramer.

(richard Dreyfus)