Author Topic: The "Seinfeld" Thread  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re:Seinfeld
« Reply #30 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 09:46 AM »
actually, i believe they've al agreed na.

Hey, you're right: Link to article on the issue

(richard Dreyfus)

Huh?
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 12:30 PM »
i can't even remember Kramer's name.. i feel embarrased. Blame that for the lack of Seinfeld Episodes locally.

edit: so i mixed Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Elaine) and Michael Richards (Kramer) together..

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2004 at 12:31 PM by greatbop »

Offline YanosAuldrin

• Apprentice
  • Fey Victus!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 01:11 PM »
JAson Alexander ata si George. Grabe tagal pa pala ng DVD. And to think that the long wait we only get one episode. Oh well. Ei, I tried searchin for ebay ng DVD set and I came across a few. By the way your saying, I guess those are bootleg copies. Sayang.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 01:38 PM »
I just hope that they release it tuloy-tuloy like how they did with Friends (parang one season every 3-4 months?) and not wait for forever (again) for the succeding seasons (like they did with Simpsons/Malcolm in the Middle/Twin Peaks).....na minsan wala pang release for the other seasons. :-\

Offline YanosAuldrin

• Apprentice
  • Fey Victus!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 01:49 PM »
Your so right. I mean what the hell is there a need for delay? They just have to remaster it or something and add a few special features.  This project is a cash cow and would be very foolish not to release it.  Baka nman pag tigok na lahat ng fans ng seinfeld tska lang nila i release.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 01:59 PM »
Ba't nga ba walang Seinfeld reruns on TV, cable TV?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 02:02 PM »
na minsan wala pang release for the other seasons. :-\

That one's really dependent on sales for the first season DVD set. For example, they had intended to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show a la M*A*S*H, with subsequent seasons every few months. But sales were so abysmal* for season one that they abandoned those plans. I think the target consumers for The Mary Tyler Moore Show DVDs were too old to even know what DVDs were.  ;D

But I think Seinfeld is a sure-thing. The only thing that can delay subsequent seasons is what kind of special features Jerry and Larry decide should be on the next discs. That's why it takes so long for those Simpsons discs. Commentary tracks on every single episode take too much time!

=====

*abysmal - A word I never used until I recently heard Simon say it on AI.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2004 at 02:05 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 02:04 PM »
i can't wait till the fourth season drops.  eto yung season na home run talaga bawat episode, kasama na yung favorite kong "master of your domain" ep...   ;D
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 02:07 PM »
i can't wait till the fourth season drops.

That's true! Truth told, Seinfeld is my favorite show of all time, but Season One was practically unviewable for me. I gave up on it after trying the first 3 episodes on RPN 9. I just rediscovered the show again some time in its 3rd season.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 03:31 PM »
Ba't nga ba walang Seinfeld reruns on TV, cable TV?

Yeah, boggles the the mind.

I really see RPN 9 getting good ratings just by doing Syndications of shows like Seinfeld, Simpsons, Friends, Cheers, 3rd Rock From The Sun, MARRIED: WITH CHILDREN...

^who can resist the charm of Al Bundy, really.

edit: nothing beats Bizzaro World and Soup Nazi.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2004 at 03:34 PM by greatbop »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
Re:CHEERS & SEINFELD: American Comedy Classics
« Reply #40 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 09:03 PM »
weird that it's never been in syndication in the philippines when it's been rerunning all over the world since its run ended. Seinfeld for me ranks up there with The Simpsons as one of the great TV shows of all time. the seasons where larry david served as executive producer were the best (i think he left in the 7th or 8th season). fave eps -- The Engagement, The Puffy Shirt, The Little Jerry... wait. i think i've talked about this na before!

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 11:09 PM »
I am the master of my domain!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 04, 2004 at 04:41 PM »
I am the master of my domain!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  8)

Offline porch_zero

• Apprentice
  • We're Jamming....
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 14, 2004 at 03:55 PM »
hail, sungit! For me, Seinfeld is the best comedy show that I have ever watched. 

weird that it's never been in syndication in the philippines when it's been rerunning all over the world since its run ended. Seinfeld for me ranks up there with The Simpsons as one of the great TV shows of all time. the seasons where larry david served as executive producer were the best (i think he left in the 7th or 8th season). fave eps -- The Engagement, The Puffy Shirt, The Little Jerry... wait. i think i've talked about this na before!

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: CHEERS & SEINFELD: American Comedy Classics
« Reply #44 on: Sep 24, 2004 at 02:48 PM »
From a recent press release:

Thursday, September 23, 2004
NBC OFFERS 'SEINFELD' RETROSPECTIVE SPECIAL HOSTED BY JERRY SEINFELD FEATURING INTERVIEWS WITH ENTIRE CAST IN 'THE 'SEINFELD' STORY' -- THANKSGIVING NIGHT, NOVEMBER 25
Released by NBC

BURBANK, Calif. -– September 23, 2004 -– NBC will celebrate the best memories of one of television's all-time classic comedies with a special titled "The 'Seinfeld' Story," a retrospective commemorating the mega-hit "Seinfeld" – featuring interviews with the entire cast just two days after the DVD release of the series – on Thanksgiving night, Thursday, Nov. 25 (10-11 p.m. ET).

The announcement was made today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment, and Rick Ludwin, Senior Vice President, Late Night and Prime Time Series, NBC Entertainment.

"One of the elements that made 'Seinfeld' a classic comedy series was the incredible cast – Jerry, Julia, Jason and Michael," said Reilly. "This special will focus on the early days of 'Seinfeld' and how it all began when it was the darkest of dark horses and had to overcome many obstacles, including poor media reviews."

The "Seinfeld" series will begin its official release on DVD two days earlier on November 23.

Title star Jerry Seinfeld will host and others who are interviewed will include fellow cast members Jason Alexander, Michael Richards and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, as well as co-creator and executive producer Larry David ("Curb Your Enthusiasm"). During interviews, each cast member will talk about the series' genesis and concentrate on the first four years when "Seinfeld" formed its unique style until it emerged as an acclaimed comedy classic.

In addition, notable recurring characters will be seen in vintage clips.

The special will be telecast in high definition (HDTV). As a result of new film transfers, this will mark the first time that "Seinfeld" has ever been broadcast in the advanced quality format of HDTV.

"Seinfeld" – which TV Guide proclaimed as the #1 television series of all time -- ran from 1989-98, primarily on Thursday nights. Dubbed "the show about nothing," the program earned a total of 10 Emmy Awards and 70 nominations. Some of the wins included Outstanding Comedy Series and Richards was also honored with three Emmys as Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series while Louis-Dreyfus also received an Emmy as Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. The series also earned two Emmys for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series.

Jerry Seinfeld, George Shapiro and Howard West are the executive producers; Glenn Padnick, Morgan Sackett and Darin Henry are the producers of "The 'Seinfeld' Story."

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2004 at 11:45 PM »
The Seinfeld Story NBC aired this week was very disappointing for those who already bought the DVD. I'd say 75% of the clips and interviews were exactly the same ones used on the DVD's "How It All Began" special feature.

Still, it was great to see the old gang again. This is definitely the greatest sitcom of all time.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2004 at 11:46 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #46 on: Nov 28, 2004 at 12:00 AM »
I agree! I was really disappointed when they stopped airing Seinfeld locally... I watched every airing here kahit replay... Seinfeld actually helped me with my current job in a call center... A lot of our American counterparts are also huge Seinfeld fans so it is a "bond" we share which some of my Filipino peers cannot understand...  ;D

I cannot wait for my Seinfeld Box Sets!  ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 28, 2004 at 07:34 PM »
Agree Hankey. I was quite disappointed with The Seinfeld Story too. I found it a bit undercooked if you know what I mean.

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 29, 2004 at 11:01 AM »
i used to tape every episode of seinfeld that aired on the i-channel
i miss those days.  :'(

I hope the controversial episode "Puerto Rican Day parade" eventually comes out on dvd. havent seen this episode yet.

I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 11:48 AM »
Season 9 pa yun! It's gonna be a long wait.

But seriously, it's much ado about nothing. The accidental burning of the flag was EXACTLY the point of the Kramer's storyline, and was dealt with with the proper outrage already on the episode itself. So to protest on top of that was really just stupid - those people were looking to generate publicity for their ethnic minority organization.

People take this PC-crap way too far!

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #50 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 12:01 PM »
cheers and seinfeld are showing here in pampanga via a channel "Series"
also some old shows like the A-team

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:46 PM »
^Yep, I emailed Destiny about carrying that Series Channel when we were still subscribers last year.  Never got an answer.

Anyway.  While we're wondering why ETC still chooses to air Will & Grace reruns instead of Seinfeld classics, Jerry's Puffy Shirt just made it to the Smithsonian.

Seinfeld's puffy shirt in Smithsonian
Joins Archie Bunker's chair, Fonzie's jacket
[/i]
Friday, November 19, 2004 Posted: 2:42 PM EST (1942 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Move over, ruby slippers. That puffy shirt's moving in.

The outlandishly unfashionable shirt worn by Jerry Seinfeld on his hit TV show went on display Friday at the Smithsonian, alongside Kermit the Frog, Archie Bunker's chair and Dorothy's magic slippers from "The Wizard of Oz."

At the end of its nine-season run, "Seinfeld" -- the "show about nothing" -- left lots of well-loved lines but few tangible relics suitable for enshrinement in the National Museum of American History.

Thus, The Puffy Shirt, which appeared briefly in a single episode. What makes that bit of wardrobe so memorable is that it serves as an icon, not only of "Seinfeld" but American popular culture.

"It looks funny and it sounds funny, and that's a good combination for a joke," Seinfeld told The Washington Post at a donation ceremony Thursday night. Before the puffy shirt episode aired in 1993, Seinfeld said, he had no idea it would become a classic.

On the air from 1989 until 1998, "Seinfeld" won 10 Emmy Awards and was TV Guide magazine's pick for the greatest show of all time.

In episode No. 66, comedian Jerry nods politely even though he can't make out what his pal Kramer's girlfriend is asking -- she's a "low talker." Later to his horror, he learns he's agreed to wear the goofy, puffy shirt she designed when he appears on the "Today" show.

The white shirt, looking like a pirate's ruffled nightmare, was designed in real life by the show's costumer, Charmaine Simmons.

"This might be the first joke inducted into the Smithsonian Institution," Seinfeld noted.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:48 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 04, 2004 at 08:15 AM »
THAT IS SO COOL. ;D

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2005 at 05:39 PM »
Hey! They're showing Seinfeld teasers on ETC!! Great news for all Pinoy Seinfeld fans! I think i will enjoy watching this more after going through all the Inside Looks and other Extras in the Seinfeld box sets...  ;D

Offline porch_zero

• Apprentice
  • We're Jamming....
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 07:30 PM »
this is indeed great news, jeckjeck!

i have this seinfeld ringtone which I haven't changed for almost 4 years now.  People keep on asking what the hell is my ringtone.  i just keep on saying, "duh, di nyo ba alam ang seinfeld?" then they say, "ahhh, di kasi ako nanonood nun eh"...  i just say to myself, "poor souls, never have they watched a single episode of the best comedy series ever made"....

;D

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 08:56 PM »
this is indeed great news, jeckjeck!

i have this seinfeld ringtone which I haven't changed for almost 4 years now.  People keep on asking what the hell is my ringtone.  i just keep on saying, "duh, di nyo ba alam ang seinfeld?" then they say, "ahhh, di kasi ako nanonood nun eh"...  i just say to myself, "poor souls, never have they watched a single episode of the best comedy series ever made"....

;D

Uy! I lost my Seinfeld ringtone when I sold my old phone before.

Smart ka ba porch_zero? If so, would it be too much to ask to forward the ringtone to me?  ;) 0920-9126175

Thanks!  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Feb 26, 2005 at 12:50 AM »
According to the new TV Star Guide magazine, Seinfeld starts March 1st on ETC.

Listed schedule is twice a day on weekdays (9AM and 6PM) and once a day on weekends (9AM only). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I hope this schedule is correct, since if it's not, then there will be no Festivus... yada yada yada... and people will end up wearing puffy shirts...
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2005 at 01:00 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Feb 26, 2005 at 05:18 PM »

Listed schedule is twice a day on weekdays (9AM and 6PM) and once a day on weekends (9AM only). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I hope this schedule is correct, since if it's not, then there will be no Festivus... yada yada yada... and people will end up wearing puffy shirts...

That's great news! I miss Seinfeld already ever since I finished watching the DVDs fo seasons 1 to 3  ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 10:13 PM »

Yes there is something wrong with that.  People who have to work so they won't starve to death ain't home at those hours!  Nice stroke of genius there ETC, thanks a lot!

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 11:35 PM »
Don't look now but STARWORLD is airing Seinfeld beginning tonight at the timeslot that where Friends used to be.  Starting from Season 01 Episode 01.  George still had hair, Elaine is nowhere, and Kramer enters the room like normal people do.  I think it'll be fun watching the series start out as just chuckle-funny, hit its stride a dozen episodes later and be laugh-out-loud funny.