Author Topic: PinoyDVD's Best Movies of All Time [Blu-Ray/HD DVD] (2017 Thread)  (Read 3983 times)

Offline kernello

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Hi everyone!

I made this thread because I'm inspired by the "Best Movies of All Time" list from different movie recommendation sites such as the ff:
a. Rotten Tomatoes (bit.ly/RottenTomatoTop100)
b. IMDb (imdb.to/2kriV95), and
c. Time Out (bit.ly/TimeOutTop100).

Meanwhile, upon browsing PinoyDVD, I only found thread about the ff:
a. Most Recently Viewed DVD (bit.ly/RecentDVD)
b. What will be your DVD movie of ALL-TIME? (bit.ly/alltimeDVD)
c. PinoyDVD's top 100 best Filipino films of all-time (bit.ly/2BestFilipinoFilm)
d. Your Top 5 best surround sound movies that you heard (bit.ly/2SurroundSoundMovie)
e. Recommended 3D Blu-Rays (bit.ly/2Recommended3D)
f. Most Recently Viewed Blu-Ray/HD DVD (bit.ly/2RecentBluray)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find what I was looking for. If by any chance I missed it, kindly inform me immediately so I can remove this thread.

Going back. We all know that PinoyDVD is the largest DVD & HT enthusiast network in the Philippines and I firmly believe that this is also the best avenue to gather information to make our very own list of the Best Movies of All Time.

My plan is to ask members of PinoyDVD to post at most 10 movie title of their choice ranked from 1 to 10, 1 being the highest. You have the option to choose any film that made an impact to you. It may be a classic film, a animated film, a horror film, a comedy, or your most recently watched film as long as you like it. :) 

I intend to compile the selection in excel and post an update quarterly (hopefully) so It'll be easier for everyone, especially for newbies like me, to see PinoyDVD's Best Movies of All Time.

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2017 at 09:12 PM by kernello »

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: PinoyDVD's Best Movies of All Time [Blu-Ray/HD DVD] (2017 Thread)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2017 at 08:30 AM »
makapaglista nga :)

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2017 at 01:22 PM »
this are my list:

1. 3 idiots
2.  shawshank redemption
3. the godfather part 2
4. leon the professional
5. the godfather part 1
6. city of god
7. the green mile
8. like stars from earth
9. the prestige
10. count of monte cristo

this only according to my favorite..yung kahit ilang beses ko panoorin hindi ako nagsasawa.

special mention : john wick, the equalizer, ender's game, taken, jack reacher.

Offline kernello

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 12:14 PM »
up :)

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 04:14 PM »
For my list, it'd be: MULANAY, BAMBANG, HOT PROPERTY. These are not sentimental or nostalgic favorites (otherwise I'd cite Goodah! and Bakit Kinagat Ni Adan Mansanas Ni Eba - both of which couldn't stand the test of time but are mere novelties), these works can each stand on their own, objectively, as very well-crafted efforts, suitable even for archival preservation.

MULANAY by Gil Portes and released in 1997 was maligned by film critics, citing it as I understand it, as "righteous" - meaning Portes helmed a film that wants to be "angat" from the usual inanities. Yes it does, it talks about the Doctor To The Barrios "ministry" pioneered by the truly lamented late Juan Flavier - as lived through by the Jaclyn Jose character, a doctor who got inspired to practice in an impoverished island off the coast of Quezon. Thats exactly the creative raison of Mulanay, to make a film that tries to pull itself out from the estero that Philippine cinema has become about - of bromances, star vehicles, TTF's, and FPJ-type revenge foregettables. And for that, it was universally maligned, which could've impacted its box-office receipts but not the zeal of some universities and other academic groups who asked students to go and see it. To date, Mulanay is not yet available on digitized/DVD form, while the entire upload on Youtube is pretty much exactly how the VHS copy performs, down to the scratches and skips.

BAMBANG would probably win as the most obscure, most forgotten work among Urian nominees of dekada 80, this one nominated as Best Picture for 1986 or '85. It featured the late Anthony Alonzo, a thug among many other thugs who dwells in Bambang, a notorious locale in the Sta. Cruz Manila district - who had a change of heart. Bambang is impossible to find, I rely on my memory for its drama. That an A. Alonzo picture (whose signature genre cannot be distinguished from the flood of Ace Vergels, Rudy Fernandezes, Philip Salvador's - got the idea?) gets noticed by Urian bespoked of an effort where the cinematographic and creative stars aligned together, this one for Alonzo and the Bambang of yesteryear.

HOT PROPERTY was a daring (at least in 80's standard) effort to tell the bedroom stories of Ayala Makati-type career girls - the picadillos, the quickie's, the wild night-outs of working girls Carmi Martin, Angela what's-her-name, Isabel Lopez. It was superbly made despite its titillating theme, hot but classy. Likewise now very obscure, and impossible to find.

If it'll qualify as movies, I'd also cite Ditsi Carolinos' MINSAN LANG SILA BATA and the colored sequel NO TIME TO PLAY. Both documentaries seared in my memory even after 20 years, for their raw depictions of children compulsed to work on poisonous, back-breaking, injury-prone jobs. First time on British-pressed blu-ray for Filipino oevres would be the forthcoming INSIANG and MAYNILA SA KUKO NG LIWANAG....

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2020 at 12:28 AM »
1. Seven Samurai, (1954)
2. The Graduate, (1967)
3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, (1969)
4. High Noon, (1951)
5. Lord of the Rings Trilogy, (2001-2005)
6. Love Story, (1970)
7. Grease, (1978)
8. A Matter of Life and Death, (1946)
9. Saving Private Ryan, (1996)
10. It's A Wonderful Life. (1946)
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020 at 12:30 AM by uebetan12 »