Author Topic: The American Idol Thread  (Read 9234 times)

Offline MiniCooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The American Idol Thread
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 03:10 AM »
btw,  try to spot the pinoy's who make it to Hollywood.  :)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 07:28 AM »
So far I like Scooter Girl too. She's fun.  Amy appears to be a fun-fun type of gal too. Was Amy's voice really good? Bat nga ba na-cut yun?

I laughed the hardest dun kay Pablo (yung may hawak na imaginary mic, susmaryosep!!!! ;D) and Scatgirl. OMG, what were they thinking auditioning like that!?!? And that black guy who sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow, what a character! He's the type of character comedians love to spoof!!!! He talks like that Latino on That 70's Show!!! That girl who did Flashdance, OMG!!! Wala ba silang friends who can tell them na wag na lang mag-audition? ;D

I like that guy who sang ala Michael Buble , although I'm not fond of Buble myself, but I like the red-haired guy's voice, refreshing.

Keown - was he the one who sang Unchained Melody? Same observations Spiff - overconfident nga.  He's got good voice though pero baka not the right attitude.

The hunk could not sing, I did not like his voice it's so common dito sa Pilipinas, like every noontime show singing guest could do it (as if judge ako, hehe!). Dinaan sa pogi points!

I cannot get over how funny this show is. Just reading the post ngayon, made me laugh all over again! I haven't even gotten enough sleep, I made it a point to watch the replay kanina.  I hope I don't get sleepy for Survivor later.

So how does this go, more auditions? How many more? When can we see the actual singing contest and how many will compete? Do they get to choose the songs?

BTW, who won World Idol? Missed that one kasi.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 07:34 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
oh, and how about that "hunk" paula went gaga over! LOL. he surprised me that he can actually sing... but not that well...

Without spoiling much (this is hard to do) - they discovered he ALSO auditioned last year, but Paula was sick, so it was just Simon and Randy judging. They made him stop singing after a line or two, and Simon basically told him that all he had was looks...  ;D

So how does this go, more auditions? How many more? When can we see the actual singing contest and how many will compete? Do they get to choose the songs?

Yes, there will still be auditions in Houston, Los Angeles/San Francisco and Hawaii. Then the 107 who got the yellow paper will be brought to Hollywood. That number will be cut by the judges twice - first just to trim it to a more manageable size, next to bring it down to the 32 semi-finalists.

The 32 are broken down into four groups of 8. One group performs each week, and in each group, the home audience will vote for the top 2 - so you have the Final 8. Another 2 will be selected in a special "Wild Card" show, in case anyone GREAT was overlooked by the phone vote. It'll be their last chance to get into the top 10.

The Top 10 then perform each week (Usually there are themes, like "Burt Bacharach Night", "Big Band Night," etc.), with the person with the least number of phone votes voted off each week.

If you really want to know, click here. If you want to wait, I can lend you my copy... next week?  8)
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 09:43 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 03:19 PM »
na-confirm na ba that the brothers (was it noel and jesus?) are indeed filipino?  ???

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 03:25 PM »
Without spoiling much (this is hard to do) - they discovered he ALSO auditioned last year, but Paula was sick, so it was just Simon and Randy judging. They made him stop singing after a line or two, and Simon basically told him that all he had was looks...  ;D

Yes, there will still be auditions in Houston, Los Angeles/San Francisco and Hawaii. Then the 107 who got the yellow paper will be brought to Hollywood. That number will be cut by the judges twice - first just to trim it to a more manageable size, next to bring it down to the 32 semi-finalists.

The 32 are broken down into four groups of 8. One group performs each week, and in each group, the home audience will vote for the top 2 - so you have the Final 8. Another 2 will be selected in a special "Wild Card" show, in case anyone GREAT was overlooked by the phone vote. It'll be their last chance to get into the top 10.

The Top 10 then perform each week (Usually there are themes, like "Burt Bacharach Night", "Big Band Night," etc.), with the person with the least number of phone votes voted off each week.If you really want to know, click here. If you want to wait, I can lend you my copy... next week?  8)

LOL. to be fair... that guy's looks naman talaga are his biggest asset. but naniniwala naman ako that a voice, if it has potential, can be honed. obviously he's no clay, justin, reuben or kelly... but with the right song and packaging...  :-\

we have a long, long, long, long, loooooong way to go before the final 10 (or is it 12 na ba? parang i remember dapat 12 na ngayon.)  8)

BTW, guy sebastian's first single "angels brought me here" is pretty good. sounds a bit dated tho.  :P

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 03:35 PM »
I like that guy who sang ala Michael Buble , although I'm not fond of Buble myself, but I like the red-haired guy's voice, refreshing.

Keown - was he the one who sang Unchained Melody? Same observations Spiff - overconfident nga.  He's got good voice though pero baka not the right attitude.

The hunk could not sing, I did not like his voice it's so common dito sa Pilipinas, like every noontime show singing guest could do it (as if judge ako, hehe!). Dinaan sa pogi points!

i liked that kid too. he's like 16, right?... somehow i don't think his pop sensibilities aren't just there yet. and it was evident in his choice for an audition song. thank heavens paula made him sing another song! or else his talent would have gone unnoticed.

yup... that's the guy cruzack... same one. sobrang feeling magaling 'no? it's even evident in the way he smiles... very smarmy.

LOL. if that blonde guy was here in the philippines, kuya germs would probably be knocking on his door right now... ha ha ha... i doubt he'd make the top 10 (or is 12 nga ba?).

didn't we mention who won world idol in this thread? hehe... parang hindi nga.  :-[

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 06:12 PM »
If you really want to know, click here. If you want to wait, I can lend you my copy... next week?  8)

Heheheh. Cute description dun sa World Idol! Ano ba yan?! I should get a list of your library so I know what's on my Borrow List!  ;D  

I cannot stop picturing Pablo-with-his-imaginary-mic in my head!!! ;D

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 06:39 PM »
Did the lady in uniform make it to Hollywood? I think her singing was pretty good, though nothing spectacular. And she helped me sleep better last night  ;D hehehe
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 06:39 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 10:10 PM »
Did the lady in uniform make it to Hollywood?

No she didn't. That actually surprised me, since she sounded good to me. Better than some that made it.

I still don't know if the two black bruthas with Pinoy names are part-Pinoy. They have the height to be...  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 10:23 PM »
No she didn't. That actually surprised me, since she sounded good to me. Better than some that made it.

I still don't know if the two black bruthas with Pinoy names are part-Pinoy. They have the height to be...  ;D

i agree.. i think it's a major disadvantage to be in the first few auditions. matipid sa pagpili pa kasi ang mga judges at that point in the selection process... i hope this doesn't discourage her and she tries out next season (IF there's a next season at all.)  ;D

the guy with the "tummy trick" tho should get a clue and NOT re-audition... poor guy. he'll just be setting himself up for further disappointed. i think he's "tone deaf".  :-\
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 10:26 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 10:30 PM »
IF there's a next season at all

Are you kidding? With its ratings so far, it's poised to be the #1 TV show for the 2003-2004 season.

Even Simon Cowell has stated that he has given up on hosting future editions of the the UK's Pop Idol, so he can concentrate on future installments of American Idol.

Maybe they can import Dicko, Randall, or even that weird Polish judge to take his place on Pop Idol.

Actually, though that remark was meant as a joke - Dicko DOES seem like the most acceptable replacement for Simon. He's British, after all.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 10:32 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 10:41 PM »
Are you kidding? With its ratings so far, it's poised to be the #1 TV show for the 2003-2004 season.

Even Simon Cowell has stated that he has given up on hosting future editions of the the UK's Pop Idol, so he can concentrate on future installments of American Idol.

Maybe they can import Dicko, Randall, or even that weird Polish judge to take his place on Pop Idol.

Actually, though that remark was meant as a joke - Dicko DOES seem like the most acceptable replacement for Simon. He's British, after all.

that's true. but i didn't wanna sound too much like that "keown" kid...  ;)

simon has admitted in his tell-all book, "i don't mean to be rude, but..." that he finds the american constestants a lot more talented than the UK pop idol contestants. (plus, i'll bet he gets paid better on AI than PI. ;D)

dicko or randall might be good replacements for him... but i think they'll find someone else. marami namang cowell-alikes sa UK. (wouldn't it be a hoot if stock, aitken and waterman became the judges for pop idol? LOL.  ::))

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 08:18 PM »
btw,  try to spot the pinoy's who make it to Hollywood.  :)

I'm still on the fence with "Jesus and Noel Roman". With that sort of name, if you're not Hispanic, you're probably Pinoy, right?

Anyway, from their names and faces, I think there may be 2 Pinays in the final 32.  :)

For those watching on Star World, look out for FOOKLING, the brilliant Asian-in-blue who skipped high school, is in Harvard, and can play THREE musical instruments. That's one talented girl! She's on the HOUR-LONG episode tomorrow, Tuesday, from 8-9PM.  8)

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 09:05 PM »
There are two Hawaiian-Filipinas

Camile (one L) Velasco is definitely a Filipina, she was even born here in Manila.

Jasmine Trias is almost certainly a Filipina too since she has admitted to owning a "soundtrack album of a Filipino soap opera".

Jeffrey Dingle seems Pinoy also.

What's so brilliant about being able to play THREE musical instruments? I can play the maracas, tambourine, and triangle quite well.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 10:11 PM »
What's so brilliant about being able to play THREE musical instruments? I can play the maracas, tambourine, and triangle quite well.  ;D

I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, Fookling can play the piano, clarinet and saxophone. And she comes from a family of professional singers. Wait till you hear her actually sing!  :)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 09:16 PM »
I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, Fookling can play the piano, clarinet and saxophone. And she comes from a family of professional singers. Wait till you hear her actually sing!  :)

She's baaaad! Heheheheh.  I'm probably worst than Simon but she's really bad.  She probably is musical,  but she can't be pop idol material.  Tonight's episode featured a bad lot. Whatever happened to taping-your-voice-in-your-good-ol'-cassette-recorder-and-listening-to-it-after?  ;D  

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 09:17 PM »
Jasmine Trias is almost certainly a Filipina too since she has admitted to owning a "soundtrack album of a Filipino soap opera".

Name is familiar......

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 02:03 AM »
She's baaaad! Heheheheh.  I'm probably worst than Simon but she's really bad.   ;D  

nung una akala ko hindi english yung kinakanta nya.  :P

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 02:06 AM »
Name is familiar......

not surprised... "jasmine" and "trias" are pretty common filipino names... but as for the soundtrack... she only "owns one"and not "recorded one". i just hope okay sya kumanta.  ;D

was really shocked at paula's outburst this episode... IMO mukhang medyo natamaan siya sa sinabi ni randy. kasi, to be honest, paula isn't exactly a "celine dion". (if you know what i mean.) and she was really criticized for that during her stint as a recording artist.  ;)

as for kiira (the aguilera wannabe who looks like mandy moore) ... i have to agree with paula... she does seem "affected". she's putting on an act, and you can tell that it is.  i have to agree with randy that she does have a good voice... but IMO, not good enough for american idol. she needs to work on it more. she's young. there's always next year.

a bit aghast that they take it against you if you are "old" na. i mean, can't a late 20's early 30's person be  an "american idol". that just doesn't seem fair.  :-\
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2004 at 03:33 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 02:18 AM »
They should bring back this guy! HE BANGS! :lol:

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 03:30 AM »
They should bring back this guy! HE BANGS! :lol:

;D

if you ask me, i don't think will hung has to go to hollywood to become an "american idol"... because in a strange and almost magical way... he already is one. his 120 second appearance on the show has already won him a pretty wide fan base (not only in the USA but around the world as well.) and that... is more than any "idol" could hope for.  ;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 05:44 AM »
was really shocked at paula's outburst this episode... IMO mukhang medyo natamaan siya sa sinabi ni randy. kasi, to be honest, paula isn't exactly a "celine dion". (if you know what i mean.) and she was really criticized for that during her stint as a recording artist.  ;)

Oo nga, Paula Abdul's voice isn't exactly good, why did she became judge? Simon is the show's producer right? Randy is a record producer so it follows....but Paula is....not the best singer in the world, is she a producer too or does she handle singers now?

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 06:09 AM »
kaya nga the trio's (paula. simon & randy)becomes a big joke here, dahil nga di naman sila mga best singers!!! who would have thought that AI was gonna be a huge success with these three...

btw, FOOKLING, I thought she was B A D too!!! I mean really bad... ika nga ni simon ibang language ata yung kinanta! ;D ;D ;D di lang iba pala "a language never heard of"? ;D

can't wait tonight! :D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:37 AM »
Oo nga, Paula Abdul's voice isn't exactly good, why did she became judge? Simon is the show's producer right? Randy is a record producer so it follows....but Paula is....not the best singer in the world, is she a producer too or does she handle singers now?

i don't think simon cowell produces the show... ang alam ko he's a talent manager (and we have him to thank for "discovering" boybands like boyzone and westlife...). baka naman you're referring to another simon: RCA record's simon fuller... record producer and manager to acts like spice girls, annie lennox, s club 7 and cathy dennis (best known here sa pinas for her song "too many walls" and who incidentally wrote the show's opening music). and the show's "svengali".

oh... aside from choregraphy, singing and being an ex-laker girl, paula has delved into songwriting na rin...  (yes, i confess... i have a few paula abdul CDs. ever since her oliver leiber days  ::))  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:38 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 09:48 AM »
As far as the judges are concerned, they are quite qualified, actually.

Randy is a Grammy Award-winning 20-year music industry veteran and former A&R executive at MCA Records whose credits include recording, touring and performing with Mariah Carey, Madonna, *NSYNC, Celine Dion and Aretha Franklin. And he's the cousin of Mace Windu, so he has Jedi blood.  ;D

Simon doesn't produce the show, but he produces the album of the show's winner. He is the head of A&R at RCA and has his own record label, S Records. He's self-made - he started out in RCA as the mail delivery boy. His track record speaks for itself - in the last 10 years his acts have sold more than 90 million records and had 34 number ones. His most recent successes have been Westlife, Christina Aguilera, and the IDOL winners from the UK and the US.

Paula is living proof that even without a great voice, if one can dance and package herself correctly, she can be a HUGE American Idol, have six #1 hits, and even win a Grammy in the process. I guess that's why she's a lot nicer to the funny voiced ones.

as for kiira... she's young. there's always next year.

Next year? Well, you haven't seen the last of Miss "Affected" yet for this year... she definitely makes an impression during the Hollywood round.  ::)

a bit aghast that they take it against you if you are "old" na.

Simon is very age-ist when it comes to this type of show. Pete Waterman (Pop Idol judge who discovered Kylie Minogue and Rick Astley and even gave advice to The Beatles and Fleetwood Mac - now THAT is a qualified judge) even told him so to his face during their most famous confrontation on Pop Idol. "It's not TEEN Idol, it's Pop Idol!" The Brits seem to be less age-fixated. On Fame Academy, Nigel was in his early 30s. Here on American Idol, though, the cut-off age is 24.

24!  >:(

;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 10:03 AM »
Ahhhh....when they say Simon the producer I thought producer ng show. LOL!  He's the reason for boybands? ::) ;D  Spiff, I also have a couple of Paula Abdul cassettes....heheheh. Pero mas malala ka, hanggang CD nasubaybayan mo. ;D

Randy is Mace Windu's cousin?  Heheheh! Yeah, he reminds me a little bit of him nga no.

I was able to catch ET on RPN the other day and I was spoiled.  From the ones I've seen, I now know who didn't make it to the final 32. >:(

Miss Affected looks like Mandy Moore, during her Candy days. :P

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 10:08 AM »
In defense of Paula Abdul, I don't think she claimed she has a great voice. But she made the best out of it. Her ability to pick songs that would fit her limited ability was one of her good traits. I personally like her song Rush, Rush.

However, the judges I think were chosen not because of their singing ability.  American Idol was based on the British hit Pop Idol. By definition, most pop idols don't need to have great singing voice (no need to look farther, Britney Spears come to mind). Marketing will cover whatever handicap they have. However, I do like the path they are making .. taking it a step further ... making the idols at least be able to carry a tune.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 10:19 AM »
if you ask me, i don't think will hung has to go to hollywood to become an "american idol"... because in a strange and almost magical way... he already is one. his 120 second appearance on the show has already won him a pretty wide fan base (not only in the USA but around the world as well.) and that... is more than any "idol" could hope for.

You bet! They just did a LONG feature on him on Entertainment Tonight. Jimmy Fallon even did an impression of him on last weekend's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.

The guy has ARRIVED. And I'll bet he lasts longer than Justin Guarini.  ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 10:28 AM »
You bet! They just did a LONG feature on him on Entertainment Tonight. Jimmy Fallon even did an impression of him on last weekend's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.

The guy has ARRIVED. And I'll bet he lasts longer than Justin Guarini.  ;D

Do I hear  movie deals, anyone ? LOL.

Offline demented_angel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm wishing on a star, to follow where you are...
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 01:55 PM »

hihihi  ;D

saw that episode at around 2 am, her names sounds like one of the characters in Austin Powers FOOK YU  ;D

and have you seen another chinese guy who auditioned, and he cant pronounced the lyrics of the song hahaha  ;D