Author Topic: The American Idol Thread  (Read 9237 times)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The American Idol Thread
« Reply #60 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 02:37 PM »
As far as the judges are concerned, they are quite qualified, actually.

Randy is a Grammy Award-winning 20-year music industry veteran and former A&R executive at MCA Records whose credits include recording, touring and performing with Mariah Carey, Madonna, *NSYNC, Celine Dion and Aretha Franklin. And he's the cousin of Mace Windu, so he has Jedi blood.  ;D

Simon doesn't produce the show, but he produces the album of the show's winner. He is the head of A&R at RCA and has his own record label, S Records. He's self-made - he started out in RCA as the mail delivery boy. His track record speaks for itself - in the last 10 years his acts have sold more than 90 million records and had 34 number ones. His most recent successes have been Westlife, Christina Aguilera, and the IDOL winners from the UK and the US.

uh... didn't CLIVE DAVIS produce the albums of the four "winners"? (kelly, ruben, justin and clay. i don't he was even involved in the albums of the winners.)  but he is an executive producer nonetheless, some of the acts whose album he HAS produced are: sonia, 5ive, westlife and the village people.  what did he do for christina aguilera? i seem to have missed that.

Paula is living proof that even without a great voice, if one can dance and package herself correctly, she can be a HUGE American Idol, have six #1 hits, and even win a Grammy in the process. I guess that's why she's a lot nicer to the funny voiced ones.Next year? Well, you haven't seen the last of Miss "Affected" yet for this year... she definitely makes an impression during the Hollywood round.  ::)

agree... it's funny 'cause, her grammy isn't even for singing or songwriting... it's for music video (for the song "opposites attract. u know? the one with the animated "cat"?) i also know she won a "best choreography" award for one of ZZ top's videos.

Simon is very age-ist when it comes to this type of show. Pete Waterman (Pop Idol judge who discovered Kylie Minogue and Rick Astley and even gave advice to The Beatles and Fleetwood Mac - now THAT is a qualified judge) even told him so to his face during their most famous confrontation on Pop Idol. "It's not TEEN Idol, it's Pop Idol!" The Brits seem to be less age-fixated. On Fame Academy, Nigel was in his early 30s. Here on American Idol, though, the cut-off age is 24.

24!  >:(

;D

may age limit pala ang american idol... no fair... so at 25, ur considered either a "has been" or a "never was"...  :'(

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 02:48 PM »
In defense of Paula Abdul, I don't think she claimed she has a great voice. But she made the best out of it. Her ability to pick songs that would fit her limited ability was one of her good traits. I personally like her song Rush, Rush.

However, the judges I think were chosen not because of their singing ability.  American Idol was based on the British hit Pop Idol. By definition, most pop idols don't need to have great singing voice (no need to look farther, Britney Spears come to mind). Marketing will cover whatever handicap they have. However, I do like the path they are making .. taking it a step further ... making the idols at least be able to carry a tune.

no need to defend paula ;D ... the millions of records and albums she has already sold will attest to her "pop appeal". (marami pang kakainin na bigas ang mga AI winners to reach the heights that paula has achieved in the recording industry!) i just think she kinda "over reacted" when randy mentioned that "this (american idol) should be about singing." i guess, all those years of being criticized for not being able to carry a tune (and the rumors that her recordings were "doctored") is still a major chip on her shoulder.*

and yes! i agree... u don't have to be a singer to be a judge in this kind of competition. u just have to have that "ear". obviously, all three judges have that. ;D who was supposed to be the 4th judge? wasn't it angel martinez or something? ano nga ba yung reason why she left?

*"forever your girl" is still my favorite album of hers. i remember going to carriedo to buy her cassette in high school... she wasn't known then. and her only single was "knocked out" (technically her first single.) i rushed to buy the album immediatly after i saw the video on "video hit parade"... he he he... of her last few efforts, "crazy cool" is perhaps my favorite.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2004 at 02:56 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #62 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 05:26 PM »
uh... didn't CLIVE DAVIS produce the albums of the four "winners"? what did he do for christina aguilera? i seem to have missed that.

Oops. On Pop Idol, he was a judge BECAUSE he was to be the producer of the winner's (and runner-up's) album. I just assumed he had the same function as judge and album producer on American Idol, as well. Isn't Simon Cowell's S-Records on the credits of those albums you mentioned? I have the American Idol: Greatest Moments CD, and S-Records is one of the company logos on it (along with RCA [where Simon is also head of A&R], BMG and 19).

I'm not sure what he did for Christina. I just copied that bio/credit from the World Idol Judge's Pages.

no need to defend paula

I have to say: Her Under Your Spell Tour was the best concert I ever saw in Manila, as far as visual effects are concerned - the video wall she interacted with, the on-stage flying. I hope that gets released on DVD soon, as a memory of my student years. The VHS has long been out of print.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2004 at 05:48 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline justine

• DVD Addict
  • Stay open, who knows, lightning would strike
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 06:31 PM »
IMHO Paula was right in saying that the girl was making a put-on it was so obvious.  I guess guys like Randy do not easily see that since they are easily mesmerized by the girl's sex appeal or something.

Spiff, I also like Paula!  ;D

Reuven and I have watched all of her videos on Video Hit Parade as well as Vh1 and MTV which used to be taped from the US and sent here.  Those were the days that we have to catch MTV on Video.

Reminiscing! she was so popular during my high school days as well. we have her Forever Your Girl and Rush Rush Albums!

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #64 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 09:47 PM »
hehehe, saw the last episode on starworld at ang tanong ko lang; paano nakalusot yung mga yun sa preliminary screening? tawa ako ng tawa na nalungkot sa babaeng parang ghost daw kumanta ;D
tapos kumikidlat at kulog pa sa labas.
she was baaaaaad.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 10:37 PM »
Reuven and I have watched all of her videos on Video Hit Parade as well as Vh1 and MTV which used to be taped from the US and sent here.  Those were the days that we have to catch MTV on Video.

Reminiscing! she was so popular during my high school days as well. we have her Forever Your Girl and Rush Rush Albums!

at least hindi nyo naabutan ang channel 5 (or was it 6?) ng sining makulay cable network...  ::)

nakuuuu! inggit na iinggit ako noon sa mga classmates ko ma may FEN TV (UHF channel, dead area kasi kami noon so no UHF for us!  :'() )... i remember may block sila na MTV noon.  ;)

yes! guilty! i have "forever your girl" (on CD and cassette! pathetic no?) and "spellbound" as well. (plus a pair of singles...) i miss my copy of "shut up and dance" vewy much.  :o

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 10:41 PM »
Oops. On Pop Idol, he was a judge BECAUSE he was to be the producer of the winner's (and runner-up's) album. I just assumed he had the same function as judge and album producer on American Idol, as well. Isn't Simon Cowell's S-Records on the credits of those albums you mentioned? I have the American Idol: Greatest Moments CD, and S-Records is one of the company logos on it (along with RCA [where Simon is also head of A&R], BMG and 19).

I'm not sure what he did for Christina. I just copied that bio/credit from the World Idol Judge's Pages.I have to say: Her Under Your Spell Tour was the best concert I ever saw in Manila, as far as visual effects are concerned - the video wall she interacted with, the on-stage flying. I hope that gets released on DVD soon, as a memory of my student years. The VHS has long been out of print.

i remember seeing RCA lang on the label, i'll have to check pa ... i may be wrong but i definitely don't remember reading simon cowell's name in the liner notes. si simon fuller lang.  ;D

have to research that christina aguilera info... i didn't know that.  ;)

Offline dibidi

• DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 12:03 AM »
dapat meron na din tayong sariling atin ang Filipino Idol! para panlaban sa World Idol...

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 03:10 AM »
dibidi, Justine and I have also thought of that. it could help our local talents a lot. we also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any Asian edition at all. is it because of the stereotype that we are onion-skinned and can't take criticism gracefully.

late in posting here but Justine and I have been catching this season since it premiered. what really engaged us is how funny the show could be... not only due to self-delusional people who audition but the banter among the judges and how they transport the said self-delusional back to reality.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline dibidi

• DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 10:22 AM »
haven't watched an episode of american idol yet but its quite discriminating if there is a world idol and asia is not represented.

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 01:14 PM »
Check your geography, except for Egypt, all the Arab countries in the Pan-Arabic region are in Asia so there IS an Asian edition of Pop Idol and there WAS an Asian presence in World Idol.

I'm pretty sure that the biggest reason why there isn't any Philippine (or Southeast Asian) version of Pop Idol yet has nothing to do with discrimination or stereotypes and more to do with the huge licensing fees (in US$ no less) involved. Remember what happened with the local franchises of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire and The Weakest Link? Despite their good ratings, they quickly became too costly to produce. If local producers can put on Star-for-a-Something type shows for a fraction of the cost, with no need to pay any dollar-denominated licensing fees, then they'd think twice before bringing in another expensive foreign franchise. But who knows? For all we know one of the media conglomerates might already be negotiating with Simon Fuller as we speak.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
Are you ready to She-Bang?

8PM on Star World tonight.  8)

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 03:53 PM »
crap... so we're stilll on the auditions???

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 05:02 PM »
what's wrong with the auditions? I personaly think it's what makes this show fun. After the auditions the show just becomes glorified karaoke.
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 08:08 PM »
Just saw the first group of 8, and the results show.

Wow. Tough call, it was a very strong group. But I personally think the Top 2 were the right choices.  :)

Looking at their set, their full orchestra, their video wall, their voices... I really pity South Africa's Idols, with their tiny studio and single piano.

But when all is said and done... as Simon said, it IS like a glorified karaoke contest from this point on.

Ryan Seacrest did a William Hung impression. He also announced that this year, it's not just the top 32 - ANYONE can come back for the wild card show... even William or Scatgirl!  ;D

Speaking of which... Hung's on in a few minutes on Star World...
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2004 at 08:11 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 09:11 PM »
"what's wrong with the auditions? I personaly think it's what makes this show fun. After the auditions the show just becomes glorified karaoke. "

I just want the show to move on quickly... basically i stop following the show until it's down to the last 8 contestants. (on season 2's case down to the last 2..) so aside from reuben and clay, i don't know who the other contestants are.

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 09:15 PM »
I agree that the auditions are the most fun episodes of the series. With those over the show then turns into a Hollywoodized Tanghalan Ng Kampeon. They've started to add more Fame-Academy/Real World-esque reality bits to the show though.

And to whoever asked how the awful singers get past the preliminary auditions, isn't it obvious that the producers purposefully let the worst of the worst get through to the judges? It makes for good TV. They only hold back the boring contestants, those that aren't good enough to be competitive, but aren't bad enough to be pathetic. That's why there are so many contestants with gimmicks.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 11:41 PM »
I dunno how American Idol gets such high ratings. half of America must have already tried out, meaning half of America must be pissed off at the judges  ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 11:57 PM »
Just saw the first group of 8, and the results show.

Wow. Tough call, it was a very strong group. But I personally think the Top 2 were the right choices.  :)

I like Fantasia .. no doubt. But I still prefer Diana deGarmo over that young blonde second choice, to make it just because of her voice. Unfortunately, her rendition of Imagine didn't impress the audience I guess. And my other choice would have been Matthew M. He's got a decent voice but boy oh boy he's got a lot of presence and that counts on the stage or to be a celebrity.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2004 at 11:58 PM by kakabanas »

Offline cbs

• Collector
  • Don't be so humble. You are not that great.(GMeir)
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 12:10 AM »

why do some of the contestants look older than they are? is there an age limit to this competition?   :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 12:38 AM »
I like Fantasia .. no doubt. But I still prefer Diana deGarmo... And my other choice would have been Matthew M.

Fantasia is one-of-a-kind. We differ in second choices though: I was rooting for [spoiler for those watching in Asia]Katie Webber, since her "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" audition was really good. Choosing that jazz song was an error in judgment.[/end spoiler]

Next week has our Pinay bet, Camile Velasco. But I'm not rooting for her just yet, since her audition was just so-so for me, while I really liked the auditions of Briana and the Romans.[/end spoiler] Will wait to see the actual performances, though.

is there an age limit to this competition?

16-24.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2004 at 12:50 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 06:34 AM »
I like She Bangs! He looks like a cartoon! A friend of mine wished he did the whole She Bang song though. Nabitin kami sa dancing niya. :D *me dancing like She Bangs, yeah!* ;D

The song you choose for your audition really does matter. Like that cheerleader who sang "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", had she sung a different song (read Hankey's spoiler) she might not make it audition pa lang.  Now why a big lady sings "Fame" and jumps/dance at the same time, I don't get that ::) ;D [Simon: You can't sing!; Randy: You can't dance either!] Or that other guy last Tues who sang "America The Beautiful" (ata? Was it the right title?) complete with choreography, he might have the chance if he chose a different song during the audition.

Some of those who auditioned in last night's episode had good voices naman, so it must be the song. But can someone honestly tell me --- that little person [I mean nothing discriminating about that, I'm not[/i] even 5' 2" tall myself :)]---she wasn't impressive, she can sing but I thought there were better singers there than her (like that poor guy who was turned down because Simon didn't like his "I-will-donate-to-charity" answer). I thought Simon was just being kind to her and Randy obviously sinabayan lang si Simon. Nag-yes na lang rin.

So diba dun sa final 32 phone votes na yun? Will there be no Simon-Paula-Randy judges anymore?  How far behind are we from US? About 3 episodes?
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2004 at 06:39 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 07:16 AM »
Ryan Seacrest did a William Hung impression. He also announced that this year, it's not just the top 32 - ANYONE can come back for the wild card show... even William or Scatgirl!  ;D

Woohoo, She Bangs! Hope he comes back. :P There's an online petition on his site. Heheheh!  And there's his audition video again!  Made my morning!  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2004 at 07:20 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #83 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 05:03 PM »
Bravo william bravo!!! very good sport  ;D   ;D Sayang akala ko kakantahin pa nya yung livin la vida loca  ;D

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 05:21 PM »
Actually, if you close your eyes during William's scene, you'd think it was Ricky Martin doing the singing

Offline ryu

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 05:57 PM »
Actually, if you close your eyes during William's scene, you'd think it was Ricky Martin doing the singing

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
tama nga. he he he he

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 08:18 PM »

Heheheh. Truth is may tono naman siya eh. Hindi lang nga nahasa. It's the dance.... ;D  She Bangs has been playing in my head all of today. And it's not the Ricky Marting version. Go Will Hung! ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 10:13 PM »
my, my... how this thread has GROWN!  ;D

has anyone noticed that as the judges move from city to city... lalung kumakaunti ang choices nila? i think it's also psychological... sa umpisa kasi parang less "criticial" sila sa mga auditionees. so i definitely think it's an advantage to audition in the first couple of cities.  ;D

i have to agree with jude... there's a certain degree of "entertainment" in seeing these guys go through (to coin a term used by simon) the "painful" auditions. and i think the producers deliberately place bad singers in there. and i'm sure the judges (randy, simon and paula) are aware of this... or else they would've complained already: "why are you making us GO THROUGH this?!"

as for william hung... basta! IMO hindi na sya dapat sumama sa wild card show... he doesn't need it.  ;)

cruzack, how behind are we sa US broadcast? ... the show started january 19 sa states.  twice a week din... i think that's about 6 or 7 shows.   :P
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2004 at 02:27 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 10:57 PM »
cruzack, how behind are we sa US broadcast? ... the show started january 19 sa states.  twice a week din... i think that's about 6 or 7 shows.   :P

Good estimate. It's exactly 6 shows. Specifically:

1. Hawaii Auditions (with worst-of montage at the end of the show)

2. The Road to Hollywood (with more audition footage of mostly GOOD performances they didn't previously show)

3. Hollywood 1 - Cutting down from 107 to...?

4. Hollywood 2 - Cutting down from ? to 32 semifinalists

5. First 8 Showdown

6. First 8 Results Show

Making it a bit different from Idols, there's no "Contestants' Choice" winner to perform the final number. Both chosen ones perform.

So diba dun sa final 32 phone votes na yun? Will there be no Simon-Paula-Randy judges anymore?

They're still there. They give their opinions on the performances, in hopes of influencing the voting public. Without them, it would be EXACTLY like a Karaoke contest already.

Spiff's right, it'll be down to TOP TWELVE and not TOP TEN. I think during the Wild Card show, each judge gets to pick one, while the viewers get to vote for the last finalist?
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2004 at 10:59 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 02:35 AM »
Good estimate. It's exactly 6 shows. Specifically:

1. Hawaii Auditions (with worst-of montage at the end of the show)

2. The Road to Hollywood (with more audition footage of mostly GOOD performances they didn't previously show)

3. Hollywood 1 - Cutting down from 107 to...?

4. Hollywood 2 - Cutting down from ? to 32 semifinalists

5. First 8 Showdown

6. First 8 Results Show

Making it a bit different from Idols, there's no "Contestants' Choice" winner to perform the final number. Both chosen ones perform.They're still there. They give their opinions on the performances, in hopes of influencing the voting public. Without them, it would be EXACTLY like a Karaoke contest already.

Spiff's right, it'll be down to TOP TWELVE and not TOP TEN. I think during the Wild Card show, each judge gets to pick one, while the viewers get to vote for the last finalist?

i think dun sa Idols Africa... the magic number before 32 was 64... so it baka i-trim down from the 107 down to 64. i'm a little sad that one of those i am rooting for is already out fo the competition (d@mn you, ETC for letting find out by accident! ::))

see! my memory isn't off pala... it is TWELVE finalists nga. i seem to remember colin moss mentioning that Idols Africa is only following the number as prescribled by their UK and US counterparts, when they decided to go from 10 to 12.  :D

i also remember na may change na rin dapat ang point tabulation... i think the judges' choices will have a 50% effect on the outcome (can you imagine? some, if not most, of those who auditioned will actually vote!)... or something like that. i'm not sure rin if that applies here also or just africa.  :-[
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2004 at 02:46 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »