Author Topic: 2017-2018 NBA Season - Draft Day to Playoffs  (Read 391116 times)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: 2017-2018 NBA Season - Draft Day to Playoffs
« Reply #1560 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 06:59 AM »
I'm a Celtics fan and I think Doc is indeed overrated.  Thibs is the genius behind the 2008 title. But Doc is the greater motivator than Thibs. Doc has had 2 monumental collapses already in his resumÄ“ both beng up 3-2.

However even Pop couldn't handle being both the coach and the GM at the same time. Thus, moreso Doc.

Online oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1443
« Reply #1561 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 07:01 AM »
di na kasi seryoso ang paglalaro ng all star ngayon. pure entertainment nalang talaga. wala ng depensa kahit tambakan as long as nakakapag pasikat sila ng mga dunks and moves

Wait. Hindi ba iyon naman talaga ang point of having an all star game? To have a fun and entertaining exhbition game?

Bakit kailangan seryosohin yung game? Its a game for players and fans to have a good time.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1562 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 07:41 AM »
di na kasi seryoso ang paglalaro ng all star ngayon. pure entertainment nalang talaga. wala ng depensa kahit tambakan as long as nakakapag pasikat sila ng mga dunks and moves
kaya naman may all-star para mag entertain ng fans.do you expect the players to grind it out kapag all-star? di na all-star kapag ganun regular games na yun.

Sent from my F3216 using Tapatalk

SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline eonneonone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1563 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 09:03 AM »
I'm a Celtics fan and I think Doc is indeed overrated.  Thibs is the genius behind the 2008 title. But Doc is the greater motivator than Thibs. Doc has had 2 monumental collapses already in his resumÄ“ both beng up 3-2.

However even Pop couldn't handle being both the coach and the GM at the same time. Thus, moreso Doc.

I doubt Pop's going to let himself be the Spurs' GM, sir. They have, in my opinion, the best GM in the league for the past 10 years - R.C. Buford. :)

Re: the dual role of being coach and GM, I honestly think I've only seen that succeed once, and it was with them Celts, sir, your very team. :) The late great Red Auerbach. Pagkatapos niya, wala na yata naging maayos na coach-GM. Si Doc, I think, it was a case of him biting more than he can chew when he assumed both roles with the Clips. Re-signing Austin didn't help him one bit either.

Offline eonneonone

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1564 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 09:07 AM »
kaya naman may all-star para mag entertain ng fans.do you expect the players to grind it out kapag all-star? di na all-star kapag ganun regular games na yun.

Hindi po ba parang ganoon naman dati, sir? Players played around during the first half, tapos sa second half they were at each other's throats, trying to win and embarrass one another. I think sir Jerome's point is that all-star games lately lack that bit of competition that we've seen, let's say, during the 80's and the 90's. :)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1565 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 09:10 AM »
Hindi po ba parang ganoon naman dati, sir? Players played around during the first half, tapos sa second half they were at each other's throats, trying to win and embarrass one another. I think sir Jerome's point is that all-star games lately lack that bit of competition that we've seen, let's say, during the 80's and the 90's. :)
At the end of the day its a game to entertain the fans.

SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Online oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1566 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 09:42 AM »
Nets giving a good game against the Celtics. Kyrie back with a mask.

All tied half time

Online dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #1567 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM »
Mukhang papasok sa playoffs ngayon ang knicks :)
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #1568 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM »
13 straight na 'to for Boston. They host the Warriors next on Friday. Bookmarked.  :)
We deserve better.

Online oznola

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1569 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM »
^magandang gauge yan sa friday how the Celtics will fair against GSW

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #1570 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM »
marmaing overrated na coach jan.. sa tingin ko isa na jan si phil jackson. hahaha.

but yes overrated coach talaga yun. kitang kita naman how he handled the team. kung tutuusin ilang season na contender ang line up ng clips pero walang nangyayari. although sabi daw nila kada play offs nalang my injured. hindi yun excuse..

Offline JeromeA

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1571 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM »
Mukhang papasok sa playoffs ngayon ang knicks :)

malamang. basta nasa east hindi mahirap pumasok.

Offline dibidi

• DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1572 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 02:20 PM »
marmaing overrated na coach jan.. sa tingin ko isa na jan si phil jackson. hahaha.

but yes overrated coach talaga yun. kitang kita naman how he handled the team. kung tutuusin ilang season na contender ang line up ng clips pero walang nangyayari. although sabi daw nila kada play offs nalang my injured. hindi yun excuse..

one time lang sila full. yung rockets na series na lamang na sila. otherwise bad timing palagi ang mga injury ng clippers buti kung short term puro out of the playoffs.

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1573 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 02:47 PM »

imho mahirap sabihin na overrated na coach si phil jackson because he has the wins and rings to back it up. at the end of the day results pa rin naman ang tinitignan. would jordan reach the goat status w/o phil? di natin masabi di ba.

Offline JeromeA

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1574 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 03:20 PM »
lagi lang kasi si phil pumupunta sa malalakas na team. tingnan mo nung palaos na lakers sabay quit.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1575 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 03:39 PM »
pj had d triangle system, hand n glove fit for mj...+scottie n team

lakers had shaq n kobe horry etc + triangle
ny -wrong read on melo, did not fit sa triangle

if another coach handled bulls, ewan.
naging kumpletos rekados nung c phil tas nag blossom c scottie as robin
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017 at 03:41 PM by ojofool »

Online dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1576 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 03:44 PM »
Jordan hindi magiging champion kung hindi si phil ang coach.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1577 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 04:33 PM »
Malas lng tlga Clips. They cant go far in the playoffs due to injuries. CP3 should just retire. He's been injured too many times. I doubt the Rockets can get a spot for him at the starting 5 aside for just being a reliever or simply a role player that comes off the bench yo relieve Harden or Eric Gordon.
Phil Jackson was the best coach during the Jordan and Shaq era. Both responded well to his Triangle that won numerous titles for both Superstars.
MJ and the Bulls were more impressive as they only had role players to blend with MJ as for Shaq, he had Byrant, Horry, Grant, Harper, Shaw and other veteran players who had won titles with the Bulls under Phil Jackson.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017 at 04:39 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline eonneonone

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1578 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 05:57 PM »

I beg your pardon, sir, but I think Phil's not an overrated coach at all, sir. But then again, I'm a Bulls fan so my views may be a bit clouded. :)

Marami nag-emphasise na lagi siya magaling na player (MJ and Pip, Shaq and Kobe) saka may triangle offense siya. But correct me if I'm wrong, sir, pero sa tingin ko naman po wala pang great coach na hindi nagkaroon ng magagaling na players.  You can't discredit a great coach by pointing at who he coaches. :)

Parang mas mahirap pa nga iyon sir, sa tingin ko, since great players normally have great egos. Putting that in check's way, way harder. Shaq and Kobe both had massive egos, but he was able to make them play together. And I don't think Phil's coached anyone as humble and great as Tim Duncan.

Noong lumipat si Rodman sa Bulls mula sa Spurs, many people questioned how Phil's going to make it work. We all know Pip and Mike hated Dennis' guts. I think we all know how that ended for Chicago. Noong umalis si Shaq (or pinaalis ni Kobe si Shaq hahaha) sa Lakers, he was able to still lead LA to 2 rings. :)

Para sa akin nga sir, Melo not playing well within the triangle's a testament to Phil's greatness as a coach. I beg to disagree to anyone who says Melo doesn't fit the triangle - he's perfect for that system. An agile and athletic 3 who can post, handle the ball, and score at will - perfect sa triangle iyon. Isa lang reason kung bakit hindi siya nag-click sa offense na iyon, tingin ko. Kasi hindi si Phil or si Tex ang nag-coach.

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #1579 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 08:15 PM »
Nice, a Phil Jackson discussion ........ sali ako.

IMO Phil Jackson is over-rated and not the greatest to head-coach in the NBA. However it doesn't mean that he was not a good coach. He coached a long time, preached playing basketball the right way and playing defense.

He won rings albeit with transcendent players. The times he did not have those transcendent players, he did not win.

Could he have won with great, non-transcendent players, probably not - he did not even attempt to, as he was offered high-paying coaching jobs in the past e.g. NETS yet her refused.

I'll put it another way, greatness always resonates ........ if you've worked for a looooong time and you're that great and excellent, it will definitely influence and rub-off on others.

All the known great NBA coaches had their coaching trees that produced other great coaches, GM's, etc who enjoyed sustained success.

Larry Brown's tree produced Popovich who produced an army of good coaches and GM's e.g. (arguably) Kerr, D' Antoni, Budenholzer, Snyder, Mike Brown, Brett Brown, Gentry, Presti, Demps, Ferry, Pritchard,  Sean Marks, etc.

Pat Riley's tree had the Van Gundy brothers, Thibs, Spo, Steve Clifford, etc ........ George Karl's tree had Stotts, Woodson, Scott Brooks, Dwayne Casey, etc.

Phil Jackson has Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, Bill Cartwright, Derek Fisher, Frank Hamblen (RIP) .......... Bokya.

When Phil Jackson became KNICKS top honcho, everyone and his mother knew that it was a disaster in the making ......... everyone and his mother were proven right and more.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1580 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 08:22 PM »
Synonymous yun triangle with Phil Jackson. But the triangle was not the invention of PJ. It was Tex Winter if I remember correctly. For me also a tad overrated.

PhilJax actually had 2 seasons with a mediocre team. So for those two seasons in LA, one lottery season and a first round exit after going up 3-1 versus Phoenix as I recall.

Offline Tha_Mann

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #1581 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 08:23 PM »
PJ is more of a shrink than a coach to be able to handle those different personalities hehe.

Offline JeromeA

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1582 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 08:32 PM »
walang na coach si PJ na mahinang team. yun lang yun. im a solid laker fan. npa champ nya yun it's because si kobe nasa prime pa then addition pa ni pau saka mga magagaling na bench players. andun pa si lamar odom. saka iilan lang ang malalakas na team nun.

kahit laker fan ako si coach pop lang ang kilala kong magaling talaga na coach.

Marami nag-emphasise na lagi siya magaling na player (MJ and Pip, Shaq and Kobe) saka may triangle offense siya. But correct me if I'm wrong, sir, pero sa tingin ko naman po wala pang great coach na hindi nagkaroon ng magagaling na players.  You can't discredit a great coach by pointing at who he coaches. :)

sigurado ka? wala ka bilib kay coach pop?? imagine gaano ka basura kung tutuusin ang spurs line up ngayon na marami injured pero nananalo parin. mas malala pa ang record ng powerhouse cavs kesa sa kanila..

saka FYI hindi pinaalis ni kobe si shaq sa lakers. si shaq ang isip bata,.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017 at 08:34 PM by JeromeA »

Offline JeromeA

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1583 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 08:33 PM »
hindi nyo ba napapansin nung pagbagsak ng lakers sabay umalis si PJ.. nung wala na ang era ng bulls wala narin sya.. maingat lang si PJ sa team na gusto nyang i coach.

alam ko malaking bagay ang pagiging coach. pero mas malaki tulong sa coach kung meron syang magagaling na players.

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1584 on: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM »
Nice, a Phil Jackson discussion ........ sali ako.

IMO Phil Jackson is over-rated and not the greatest to head-coach in the NBA. However it doesn't mean that he was not a good coach. He coached a long time, preached playing basketball the right way and playing defense.

He won rings albeit with transcendent players. The times he did not have those transcendent players, he did not win.

Could he have won with great, non-transcendent players, probably not - he did not even attempt to, as he was offered high-paying coaching jobs in the past e.g. NETS yet her refused.

I'll put it another way, greatness always resonates ........ if you've worked for a looooong time and you're that great and excellent, it will definitely influence and rub-off on others.

All the known great NBA coaches had their coaching trees that produced other great coaches, GM's, etc who enjoyed sustained success.

Larry Brown's tree produced Popovich who produced an army of good coaches and GM's e.g. (arguably) Kerr, D' Antoni, Budenholzer, Snyder, Mike Brown, Brett Brown, Gentry, Presti, Demps, Ferry, Pritchard,  Sean Marks, etc.

Pat Riley's tree had the Van Gundy brothers, Thibs, Spo, Steve Clifford, etc ........ George Karl's tree had Stotts, Woodson, Scott Brooks, Dwayne Casey, etc.

Phil Jackson has Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, Bill Cartwright, Derek Fisher, Frank Hamblen (RIP) .......... Bokya.

When Phil Jackson became KNICKS top honcho, everyone and his mother knew that it was a disaster in the making ......... everyone and his mother were proven right and more.

somehow i dont agree sir :)

based on your opinion, a great coach should produce another great coach coming from his assistants, medyo mahirap ibase dun since wala na sa control yun ni phil.

imho records matter, same with players ang basehan sa coach is wins and rings. phil have 11 rings so mahirap sabihin na chamba.

kung sasabihin natin, would phil won all those rings without jordan? then pwede rin would jordan won all those rings without phil? hindi lang naman technical ang coach, dapat din kaya niya din maghandle ng superstar egos.

Offline eonneonone

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1585 on: Nov 16, 2017 at 02:08 AM »
walang na coach si PJ na mahinang team. yun lang yun. im a solid laker fan. npa champ nya yun it's because si kobe nasa prime pa then addition pa ni pau saka mga magagaling na bench players. andun pa si lamar odom. saka iilan lang ang malalakas na team nun.

kahit laker fan ako si coach pop lang ang kilala kong magaling talaga na coach.
sigurado ka? wala ka bilib kay coach pop?? imagine gaano ka basura kung tutuusin ang spurs line up ngayon na marami injured pero nananalo parin. mas malala pa ang record ng powerhouse cavs kesa sa kanila..

saka FYI hindi pinaalis ni kobe si shaq sa lakers. si shaq ang isip bata,.

Hindi ko po sinabi iyon, boss, and neither did I say that Phil's the greatest nor a better coach than Pop. :) Ang sinabi ko lang, I don't find him (PJ) overrated saka po I don't think walang "greatest coach" na hindi nagkaroon ng "great player". If you ask me who's better, Pop or Phil, I'd say Pop. Now if it was the question of who's the greatest, I'd probably stick pick Red at the moment, even if I wasn't a Celtics fan.

Pansin ko lang po kasi sir, whenever Phil's name pops-up on all time rankings as far as coaches are concerned, palagi sinasabi "well, he had Jordan and Pippen, then Shaq and Kobe" which I find a bit questionable, IMHO. Kasi sa palagay ko po, behind every great coach is at least one great player. I-base ko na lang sa mga alam ko sa list na ito galing sa NBA site.

Red Auerbach - Russell, Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ, Cousy
Chuck Daly - Thomas, Dumars
Phil - MJ, Pip (CHI) Shaq, Kobe (LAL)
Don Nelson - Run TMC, CWebb (GSW) Dirk, Nash (DAL)
Pat Riley - Magic, Kareem, Worthy (LAL) Ewing (NYK) 'Zo (MIA)
Rudy T - Hakeem

Wala sa list si Pop kasi lumang list na ito, pero Pop had, in my opinion, the greatest frontcourt ever assembled in the NBA - David and Timmy. And yes, I just picked David and Timmy over the Celtics' Bird, McHale, and Parish.

Re: basura ang Spurs ngayon, I beg to differ sir. A team with Kawhi, Aldridge, Pau, Gay, TP, and Manu's hardly "basura" in my book. :) Kahit sa West, may laban ang squad na iyon. Kung pa-basurahan na lang ng roster, wala na mas babasura pa sa Bulls ngayon hahaha. Now, if I may ask, say for instance Pop was coaching that team (Bulls), would anyone here bet on the Bulls winning the ECF? I love the Bulls sir, but I'd say the best Pop can do with that roster is a second round playoff exit. I guess that alone shows how highly I think of Pop, since I still think he can lead that Bulls roster to the second round of the playoffs. If it was another coach, say Stevens, Riley, or even Phil, I'd say first pick na next year ang Bulls sa draft hahaha.

Lastly, not a Lakers fan by any stretch but correct me if I'm wrong, during the beef there were "rumours" that Kobe gave Dr. Buss the "Shaq or me" ultimatum. Also, I heard Shaq say numerous times that he didn't really want to leave LA, and that he left because the Lakers didn't want to "pay" him because they think he was "old". I know Shaq's acts like a total SOB most of the time, that's why I said "or pinaalis ni Kobe" since I am aware that there are always two sides to a story.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017 at 02:27 AM by eonneonone »

Online dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1586 on: Nov 16, 2017 at 02:22 AM »
Pinag uusapan ba kung sino ang greatest coach ???

Pinag iisipan pa ba yan.... wala nang ibang tatalo pa kay...........

Offline eonneonone

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1587 on: Nov 16, 2017 at 02:28 AM »
Pinag uusapan ba kung sino ang greatest coach ???

Pinag iisipan pa ba yan.... wala nang ibang tatalo pa kay...........

Jaworski :D ;P Joke lang.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1588 on: Nov 16, 2017 at 03:19 AM »
dis is u, dis is u, ok? ^^^

on PJ zen master, more like guided bulls. once d triangle was in place prang auto pilot na pag naglaro mj scottie etc. kukuyakuyakoy na lang cya
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017 at 03:27 AM by ojofool »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1589 on: Nov 16, 2017 at 03:28 AM »
PJ is more of a shrink than a coach to be able to handle those different personalities hehe.

mismo...