Author Topic: Acurus Amplifiers  (Read 11182 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Acurus Amplifiers
« on: Apr 14, 2004 at 05:38 PM »
Acurus 200X3 3-channel power amplifier

Starting out with the technical specs and those gathered from an email inquiry to Mondial designs, makers of the brand, here it is:

Power: 

200 watts continuous into 8 ohms 20Hz to 20Khz at no more than 0.06% THD, 0.005% IM
300 watts continuous into 4 ohms 20Hz to 20Khz at no more than 0.03% THD

Power Consumption, all three channels driven at rated power:      1,200 watts
Quiescent Power Consumption, all three channels with no signal:     75 watts

Input sensitivity:  1.1 volts for full rated power
Input impedance:  20k ohms

Signal-to-noise (A-weighted):  110 db

Frequency Response: 

20Hz - 20kHz     +0/-0.1db
10Hz - 100kHz   +0/-0.5db
  1Hz – 130kHz   +0/-1.0db

Channel Separation:  90db

Damping Factor at 8 ohms, 50 Hz:  500

Comments:

I bought this amp compelled to replace a defective Onkyo Integra whose main amps seem to work fine but whose preamp section is totally dead.  I always had the suspicion different amps give differing sonic characters.  But among well-designed amps, this shouldn't be very obvious.  Hence,  it came as a  pleasant surprise to learn the Acurus is giving me more listening revelations and pleasures than I expected.

Amplifier circuit topologies, power reserves, feedback amount, damping factors, tolerance of parts, to mention some - all conspire to differentiate the linear responses of various  amps when driving real reactive loads.  I may not be able to say which is superior, but they do sound different.  Between the amps of the TSV919THX Onkyo Integra flagship receiver of 1996 and the Acurus 200X3 amp of 1994 that I now have, the sonic differences are subtle but easily discernible.

Apart from a 3db- 4db increase in SPL for the same pre-amp volume setting, I notice a more distinct stereo separation and a more focused center imaging at the same listening levels.   The improved separation manifests in a more expansive soundstage. The big bands behind Frank Sinatra, Buddy Greco and Michael Buble seem to be spread farther apart.  At the same time, the center imaging gives the vocals a more precise position dead on.  In most musical materials, shifting from phantom to 3-channel in prologic mode made absolutely no difference in localizing the center vocals. That's how well the center imaging is with the Acurus driving the MS914s.  No change was made on the speaker placement.

The bass coming from my MS914 speakers seemed a bit more pronounced, better defined and deeper.  It seems to drive the MS914 to depths I  thought not possible with the older amp.   I can only correlate this change to the improved damping factor (Onkyo only had 50) and a more linear and extended frequency response down to 1Hz..   Having deactivated the sub crossover function in the pre-amp, I soon found I needed no sub in most musical materials. Though a good sub does appear to extend the lows much farther down in some materials that  have lows the MS can't reproduce anymore.  I wasn't a strong believer in damping factor  as a determinant in amplifier behaviour.  But I guess with a damping factor 10 times what I used to know, the Acurus had a better control on the lows that made them even more prominent and musical.   

It seems the burn-in needed for the Acurus revealed its improvements in the highs and mids as well as its dynamic abilities.  Listening to some heavily orchestrated symphonies like Beethoven's 5th and 9th, the latter with full chorus and soloists, the lividness of the various musical textures seems to distinguish themselves with greater 3-dimensionality, detail and a lot less constraint and congestion at loud passages.   While the MS speakers are revealing enough in the highs, matching it with the Acurus gives more body to what are revealed.  The cymbals and church bells in Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture now has greater presence that seems to float above the complex orchestral harmonies. I could hear them ofcourse with the old amp, but it seems the new amp makes them a lot easier to hear.   The strings similarly stand apart from the horns with greater differentiation. 

I never thought  a mere 2-way speaker system, however competent, could provide such a level of definition complex musical signals demand.  What is more pleasing is the absence of any strain during loud transient passages for which I thought the MS was incapable of delivering without some difficulty.  It turns out that an amp with a more generous power headroom and a more extended linearity are all that is needed to bring the MS914 to greater sonic heights.  This confirms what many audiophiles say, you can never go wrong with more audio power.  The more power, the more dynamic headroom.  One doesn't need to listen at high volumes to benefit from a higher rated amp.  It's the headroom that matters -  allowing transient peaks that can go twice that of normal listening levels to pass without clipping contraints.  I was probably driving the Onkyo so that there was little headroom for transients to pass without difficulty.  But that was was my preferred listening level.  The Acurus gave me a 3db headroom. 

One final test I made was to use the Sheffiled "My Disc" test track on the signal-to-noise ability of the amp.  Playing a track recorded at -70db from 0 reference, very close to near silence, I could still hear the recording a good 6 inches from the speakers.  With my previous amp, I couldn't hear anything at -60db with my ears burried into the speakers.

A brief description of its constuction:  The acurus amp is designed for purists who prefer the minimalist approach.  The facade is as stark as it goes with only an oversized power switch on the leftmost side.  Weighing a hefty 36 lbs, a good 10 pounds lighter than the Onkyo Integra receiver, its construction felt solid, though not as tank-like or as bullet-proof as a Bryston or a Perraux which can be twice as heavy for the same power rating. 

Without any warranty, I opened it up to reveal a couple of can-sized capacitors  each rated at 95 volts and 23,000 mfarads.  There are six power transistors in each massive heat sink,  two at the sides and one at the back, all indentical.   The circuit boards are of glass-epoxy material and the connection to the inputs and speaker outputs are all hard-wired using heavy gauge wires. The usual multi-way banana terminals are used for the three speakers and the absence of balanced XLR input terminals betray this amp is not exactly a high-end product.  The transformer is a huge torroid sitting smack in the middle.  And without any magnetic shielding from a metal cover typical of most transformer implementation, I couldn't detect any audible hum or spurious noise at full power with no signal.  This is one of the first criteria of good amplifer design:  with ears literally burried into the speakers, and the pre-amp set to max volume with no signal, there was nothing but dead silence from the speakers. 

With no speaker protection relays or stand-by circuits, turning the amp on and off made absolutely no sound whatsoever.  My only trifling caveat  is that the amp will continue to sound the source after turning it off, sputtering to death only as the last charge on those huge capacitors expire - a good 10 seconds at normal listening levels, longer at lower volumes. Otherwise,  I am crossing my fingers it will survive a good 10 years before I upgrade to another.  Hopefully by then,  I'd be rich enough to get a pre-owned Theta Dreadnaught III, pressumably the one amp to beat the Acurus according to one reviewer.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2004 at 05:55 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Acurus Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2004 at 06:13 PM »
*sigh* it's beautiful...  :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2004 at 06:49 PM »
Thanks [L]es for the compliment. 

There are other more beautiful amps out there.  The Bryston and Perraux  amps displayed at Upscale are not only beautiful to behold but can lead to backaches if you lift them.  ;D   Am sure they sound gorgeous as well.

The Acurus actually looks rather stark and unimaginative.  Very basic and simple.  But there is also beauty in simplicity. 

I failed to mention it's a Class A/B amp.  Hardly ever getting warm to the touch at normal listening levels.  It gets a bit hotter when driven at loud volumes continuously for the whole afternoon, but still can be touched without any surprises.  My Onkyo couldn't and I had to position a small electric fan to cool it.  They're both class A/B,  the Onkyo just isn't rated to accept a resistive 4 ohm loads with cooler disposition.  ;D

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2004 at 10:15 AM »
hmm how much for the Perreaux amps ? and how much did you get your Acurus ? i'm looking to upgrade from my NAD C320 BEE.

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2004 at 03:45 PM »
Pareng [L]es,

bro, you may want to also check out the Aragon power amps being sold in that store sa raon cor. sales st. from afar, saw the 4004 and 2002 models naka plasctic pa to protect them from dust i suppose. believe these are NOS units.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 04:46 AM »
I think i know that store in raon...however when i asked the store owner gave m e a quote of 50k for the 4004

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 10:48 AM »
I think i know that store in raon...however when i asked the store owner gave m e a quote of 50k for the 4004

presyong ayaw yata ibenta bro ;D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 11:35 AM »
di naman siguro....baka lang makalusot hehe. the units are in pristine condition though  :)

Offline redkoji

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2004 at 02:23 PM »
Pareng [L]es,

bro, you may want to also check out the Aragon power amps being sold in that store sa raon cor. sales st. from afar, saw the 4004 and 2002 models naka plasctic pa to protect them from dust i suppose. believe these are NOS units.

Is it possible to get the name of the store. Currently, we are verifying old stock of ACURUS and ARAGON brands here in the Philippines, for consumer protection. Currently, Studio Systems is the distributor here in the Philippines of such product. Before the year end, such product will be displayed at one of our dealers.

Check-out our posting for "SALE" Acurus products.

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2004 at 09:15 PM »
redkoji,

I dont recall the name of the store but its beside Ang Bros. Electonics store.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline Archangel

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2004 at 09:21 PM »

Is it possible to get the name of the store. Currently, we are verifying old stock of ACURUS and ARAGON brands here in the Philippines, for consumer protection. Currently, Studio Systems is the distributor here in the Philippines of such product. Before the year end, such product will be displayed at one of our dealers.

Good news for me.  Great products from such a customer friendly distributor.  Definite upgrade path from NAD amps.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 10:25 AM »

I think the Aragon 4004 is just a few years newer than the Acurus A series and should be well below the $1000 pricepoint.  I think the newer Aragons are in the $5000 + range.  I haven't been to that shop in Raon, but if the store can give the unit for less than 40K, I would take it.  The internet list price for a pre-owned 4004 in near-mint condition is $650. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 10:29 AM »

Fifth Ave still has an Aragon and Acurus line stage preamps which I am dreaming of getting.  I just got their last 2-ch Acurus amp  A250 last Friday. 

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 10:48 AM »
seems you're on a roll av_phile1. you're amplification is basically set...just watch your electric bill hehehe. congrats on your purchase  O0

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 11:15 AM »
seems you're on a roll av_phile1. you're amplification is basically set...just watch your electric bill hehehe. congrats on your purchase  O0

Thanks John.  Yup, my latest electric bill is already up by 500 bucks.  Though I am not sure if that's more due to the aircon or the 200x3 which is almost a month old.   

And yes, my multi-channel amp set-up is complete.  My room can't accommodate another pair of speakers for a 6.1 or 7.1 channel config.  5.1 is tops for me. 

I was actually looking for a lower power amp to drive the rears and was eyeing the Rotel RB03.   I was also eyeing on the NAD C272 150 watts/ch amp.  But I ended up with a more powerful A250. 

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2004 at 11:24 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 11:33 AM »

Fifth Ave still has an Aragon and Acurus line stage preamps which I am dreaming of getting.  I just got their last 2-ch Acurus amp  A250 last Friday. 

Yeah, saw you there testing your new amp with 904. Congrats.

By the way, why is the left channel sounds weaker than the right channel?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 11:51 AM »

Yeah, saw you there testing your new amp with 904. Congrats.

By the way, why is the left channel sounds weaker than the right channel?

You were there pala ha, naughty you  ;D   I noticed some curious shoppers, you're one of them na pala.   Sorry I didn't recognize you from our last wharfedale transaction.  Halos one year na rin yun ano?

Correction, it was the right channel that I thought was weaker. I was a bit uncomfortable noticing some unbalance when I had it tested with their mighty 502 floorstanders.  So I asked the salesguy to  connect a 904 which was closest to my 914.  Good thing the apparent imbalance disappeared. 
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2004 at 08:48 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 03:30 PM »
ON SALE ACURUS LINE

1 pc. A200x5....for P60,000. Regular price P75,000
3 pcs. A125X5 ....for P52,000. Regular price P65,000

Call for further details

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 06:24 PM »
That's a good 20% off ;D  I hope the Acurus tribe increases  O0

But first, more members should be convinced to go separates.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 06:39 PM »
avPhile,

Wow congrats sa power amp mo ganda ganda!!  O0 O0

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 08:47 PM »
hmm how much for the Perreaux amps ? and how much did you get your Acurus ? i'm looking to upgrade from my NAD C320 BEE.

The entry level Perraux 2-channel amp, 50 watts per channel of pure Class 'A',  is about 80T.   The pricing for the latest Acurus models are indicated by Redkoji above.  But the models I got preceded the current generation,  are of unsold inventory  and hence, i enjoyed some hefty discounts even at card price. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 08:51 PM »
avPhile,

Wow congrats sa power amp mo ganda ganda!!  O0 O0

Thanks Francine & Hans.  Not exactly my first choice, but the dscounts I got were just too good to pass for such good amps. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2004 at 04:43 PM »
Acurus A250 internals, just for comparison with the first

The 2 amps together, minus the optional footings to conserve shelf space.

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2004 at 02:15 PM »
NOW WE MADE THE OFFER FOR ACURUS POWER AMPS BETTER...IF NOT THE BEST

GET IT AT 20% WITH 0% INTEREST AT CITBANK AND HSBC CARD.....

THIS OFFER IS UNTIL MAY 08, 2004 ONLY....

GUYS HURRY-UP DON'T LET THIS OPPURTUNITY PASS AWAY........

(post edited by PinoyDVD Admin due to oversized text)
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2004 at 02:19 PM by Sumbong »

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2004 at 03:18 PM »

The entry level Perraux 2-channel amp, 50 watts per channel of pure Class 'A',  is about 80T.   The pricing for the latest Acurus models are indicated by Redkoji above.  But the models I got preceded the current generation,  are of unsold inventory  and hence, i enjoyed some hefty discounts even at card price. 

The model of Acurus we are mentioning here are pure Class "A" also...the actual retail price of 125X5 is US$1,600...so thats already a great savings

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2004 at 07:14 PM »
I know their SRPs on the net.  Even the preceding models before Klipsch bought Acurus and Aragon were still retailing at half that.  So when I got a good price from 5th, I just grabbed them. 

Are your absolutely sure the new ones are Class 'A'?  When I tested the new A125X5 at Spectra mated to a Klipsch 8 ohm speakers for a good 15 minutes, they were still cool to the touch at the end.   A real class 'A' amp would have turned hot even 5 minutes into operation. 

Also, I'd hate to own an amp consuming 1,200 watts of electricity to be class 'A'  That's like having a 1 horsepower aircon eating the same amount of electricity even when idle.  :o 

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2004 at 12:50 PM »
I know their SRPs on the net.  Even the preceding models before Klipsch bought Acurus and Aragon were still retailing at half that.  So when I got a good price from 5th, I just grabbed them. 

Are your absolutely sure the new ones are Class 'A'?  When I tested the new A125X5 at Spectra mated to a Klipsch 8 ohm speakers for a good 15 minutes, they were still cool to the touch at the end.   A real class 'A' amp would have turned hot even 5 minutes into operation. 

Also, I'd hate to own an amp consuming 1,200 watts of electricity to be class 'A'  That's like having a 1 horsepower aircon eating the same amount of electricity even when idle.  :o 

Thanks for the info regarding the price on the net..however thats the best price we could give.

As to the class A classification, Klipsch regards Acurus as a class A amps due to "Time delay" operation...heat factor is not part of the consideration...Moreover, theres a difference in our classification since we don't have Class A/B just simply class B....

Thanks for your support in our products and wish you further enjoyment in using you Acurus

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2004 at 06:28 PM »
Thanks for your clarification Redkoji.  My Acurus amps don't carry warranties but I certainly hope I can rely on your shop to service them properly if and when I need them. 

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2004 at 01:05 PM »
We believe that can be arranged...

By the way Guys, we will be starting to offer new ARAGON series, thru special orders only. I hope our top management approved the purchase of one demo unit for us to use.

The Aragon will be SOLD directly from us thus our price is lower by 15% over the US Standard Retail price.

If there are any interested just click the link below and select ARAGON menu.

www.klipsch.com

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2004 at 01:03 PM »
Redkoji,

It would be interesting to see locally the older $4,000 5-channel Aragon 8008X5 amp before Klipsch bought the brand.  More than 2 ft deep, this is a real show stopper at 105lbs and 2,500 watts of electric power consumption, max, delivering 200 wpc into 8 ohms and 400wpc into 4, will all channels driven at full bandwidth.  I think there'd be a market here for preowned Aragon staff.