Author Topic: LG SJ85 (55 and 65-inch) with Nano Cell Technology Display  (Read 10442 times)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
Starting this thread for possible sharing of tips and setup with other members.  No immediate plans of getting a new TV, but my Samsung 51-inch Plasma TV conked-out, so I had to find a replacement immediately as the big TV is the main entertainment hub of my parents who are both 77 years old.  I was bent on finding a Samsung 55-inch KS7000 model due to the low pricing and good reviews from other PDVD members, but after going through two SM Appliance stores, Abenson, Western, and Ansons, I gave up as there's no more stock available.  Another target was the LG UH7700, which also has good reviews from other PDVD members, but was no longer in stock.  I ended up in Anson's Cash & Carry, and narrowed down my choices to the Samsung MU7000, LG UJ75, and LG SJ75.  I'm aware of the deeper blacks that the Samsung VA panels produce compared to that of IPS panels, hence I was a bit leaning on Samsung.

I was initially considering the LG UJ75 because of the huge discount, SRP is 84,990, but it was discounted and the salesman was giving it to me at 63,999 with 0% interest at 6 months term and start paying the installment after 3 months, cash price was 59,990.  I did a lot of testing, watching both UHD, HD, and SD contents - UHD contents are impressive, but comparing it to a Samsung MU7000 nearby, it was really behind on PQ.  I inquired about the Samsung MU7000 best price, and they were giving it for 72,000 (89,990 tag price) with the same 0% interest and deferred installment as the LG TV.  I almost got the MU7000 because of the picture quality, but I find some of the added features lacking, especially the sound quality - compared to the LG TV which uses Harman Kardon speakers, the sound quality difference is significant.  The salesman then asked me to check the SJ85 model - I can immediately see that this one looks to be at par or has even better picture quality than the MU7000, but the tag price is 104,990, so I told the salesman that I cannot afford that one.  Salesman went to his manager and got me a price that I could not refuse - from 104,990, they offered 75,800 with 6 months to pay at 0% interest and first payment deferred after 3 months.  The discounted price was almost the same as the discounted price of the MU7000, and is more than 29k below SRP - this made me decide to get the unit.

Freebies include a wall mount kit (free installation), rechargeable lamp worth Php 700, and 3 months Premium Netflix subscription.

Initial observations - picture quality on Cignal cable TV is excellent (at par or better than my Samsung Plasma TV), UHD test video on Youtube was excellent, sound quality is excellent for a flat screen TV.  Some negatives - still does not support NBA app (Samsung also does not, among the TV's I tested today, only the Sony UHD tv's with Android supports the NBA app); it was advertised that the remote can control the set top box, but no luck on controlling the Cignal Cable TV STB (I'll try some more on this one, and will report it to their tech support if it doesn't work).

More to come ... I still have to test other smart features, such as sharing phone contents and controlling the TV using a smart phone ... my initial observations are very positive, hopefully it is more reliable than the TV it is replacing.

Hopefully other owners can share their setup and tips ... I have the picture quality setup with strong HDR setting at this time.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017 at 12:45 AM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline t-bone

• Trade Count: (+242)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 574
Re: LG SJ85 (55 and 65-inch) with Nano Cell Technology Display
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 02:15 AM »
LG Nano Cell like Samsung Quantum Dot   :)
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017 at 02:16 AM by t-bone »
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 02:39 AM »
sir, is the LG SJ85 you've got at +75K is the 55incher?  and the Sammy MU7000 at 72K also 55incher?

panalo yang SJ85 considering the PQ, audio and features... MU is not even the hi-end model thus priced considerably higher.

congratz!

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 03:19 AM »
sir, is the LG SJ85 you've got at +75K is the 55incher?  and the Sammy MU7000 at 72K also 55incher?

panalo yang SJ85 considering the PQ, audio and features... MU is not even the hi-end model thus priced considerably higher.

congratz!

yes sir, both are 55-incher ... I was really surprised by the big discounts at Anson's, because prior to that I was at Western, Abenson, and SM Appliances - no discounts at Western, while on SM and Abenson, they are giving a discount of around 6k only

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 03:21 AM »
LG Nano Cell like Samsung Quantum Dot   :)

that is my understanding sir ... they classify the previous models of Samsung with quantum dot as SUHD, and this model is classified by LG as SUHD ... with the big discounts on LG, I was thinking that these were 2016 models, but they are the new models

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 03:57 AM »
Saang  Anson's fan sir? I was at Anson's east area and discount is very minimal

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 04:41 AM »
Saang  Anson's fan sir? I was at Anson's east area and discount is very minimal

sa Cash and Carry sir ...  do not rely on the tag even if there's a discount indicated, ask for the best price and term (if installment) ... the 55SJ85 that I bought has a PhP 104,990 tag and a discount of less than 10k on the tag price, but when I asked for the best price and best term, they offered it at 75,800 - either with 0% at 6 months installment plus deferring the first payment for 3 months, or 0% at 24 months to pay ... I opted for the shorter term, deferred naman ng 3 months yung payment

on another note, meron silang LG Soundbar with sub-woofer, yung SJ9 na model - ATMOS certified ... it's priced at 39,900 but less 8k if you package it with the TV - ganda ng surround effect doon sa demo nila, and ok din sa music (ideal for a condo)

Offline chatstix

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 07:39 AM »
thank you sir Raptor for sharing this especially your first impression of the lg sj85 tv and sj9 soundbar

Offline espionage

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 08:16 AM »
Sir Raptor, congrats on your purchase and nice review as well. Found this review at the net, http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500 same model ba ito locally? Tia!
Samsung 65" NU7100 | Onkyo TXSR608 | Zidoo X9S | AMD HTPC | PS4 | A-Audio FS | WH3 CS | Daichi Surr

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 08:44 AM »

More to come ... my initial observations are very positive, hopefully it is more reliable than the TV it is replacing.

Congrats on your new TV purchase and thank you for posting your initial impressions.

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2017 at 10:04 AM »
Sir Raptor, congrats on your purchase and nice review as well. Found this review at the net, http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500 same model ba ito locally? Tia!

same model sir

Offline bachwitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2017 at 09:19 AM »
Congrats sir on your new toy.

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM »
Follow-up review - after more than 3 weeks of use and playing with the picture settings, I'm totally impressed with this purchase ... tried Netflix, Youtube, and downloaded 4k contents, the picture quality really stands out - I was worried that this will not have a better quality than the plasma it was replacing, but totally wrong in that expectation ... HD contents on Cignal cable were really impressive - watching F1 and NBA in HD is a lot more fun ... I've mentioned on my first review that the sound quality stand out, and that is really another reason to buy this model - no trouble hearing the conversations on movies, previously I had to use an AVR and center channel.

The built-in media player is also excellent on playing video from my NAS device.  Only negative I discovered is that it would not playback DVD or BD ISO files.  Overall I'm really satisfied with this purchase.

Another thing about this model is the aesthetics - it's really thin.  Almost approaching the thickness of OLED models.  I've read some comparisons about the LG nano cell technology and Samsung's quantum dot - LG claims that nano cell is a lot better (not sure how accurate this is, but the picture quality is really great for the price)

Offline espionage

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2017 at 10:12 AM »
Samsung 65" NU7100 | Onkyo TXSR608 | Zidoo X9S | AMD HTPC | PS4 | A-Audio FS | WH3 CS | Daichi Surr

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2017 at 10:38 AM »
Thanks sir Raptor. In the market in the next 3 months for a new tv. was deciding between a 65" LG SJ8500, a 65" Samsung Mu7000, or an OLED 55" LG.

Was looking up reviews of the sj8500 and as well as the soundbar! this thread of yours is certainly helpful.

Offline cHiNo2728

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Addict
  • Its All In Your Ears
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 09:00 AM »
Just recently bought the 65 inch version and I was impressed at how near the picture was to OLED.  If you need to buy one, make the journey to Anson's Cash & Carry as you'll get a bigger discount. You will also be able to compare them side by side to OLED to see what I mean. Cash is king there as they can probably take off 50k from the SRP if you have the cash with you. Straight charge with a credit card you can probably get around 40k off. Download and bring with you some 4k HDR demo clips and movie samples that you like so you can test although meron naman sila dun.

For the TV itself, its a very nice looking TV. Very expensive looking! Picture quality is miles apart from the other LG LED TV's they were selling.  It is very heavy and the box is huge so make sure padeliver mo or have someone burly with you. I measured 66 inches diagonal so maybe an extra inch? Or naduling lang ako haha!   Coming from a plasma, I can say na blacks are as black as can be for my untrained eyes. The edges are slightly sensitive so mag-ingat lang. Try carrying the weight from below and alalay na lang sa taas. I think this is the best TV at the price its at. The only thing that beats it is the OLEDs.  I will try the post-calibration settings in Rtings.com and see if we get an improvement.
LG SuperUHD SJ8500
Yamaha RXV 673
Raspberry Pi 2
Pana BDT310
Polk Audio Rti A7 & A6
Dual SVS PB100

Offline PRIME

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 09:55 AM »

How much sir ang kuha mo sa
Ansons Cash & carry ng 65sj85?

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
LG SJ85 (55 and 65-inch) with Nano Cell Technology Display
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 11:06 AM »
Just recently bought the 65 inch version and I was impressed at how near the picture was to OLED.  If you need to buy one, make the journey to Anson's Cash & Carry as you'll get a bigger discount. You will also be able to compare them side by side to OLED to see what I mean. Cash is king there as they can probably take off 50k from the SRP if you have the cash with you. Straight charge with a credit card you can probably get around 40k off. Download and bring with you some 4k HDR demo clips and movie samples that you like so you can test although meron naman sila dun.

For the TV itself, its a very nice looking TV. Very expensive looking! Picture quality is miles apart from the other LG LED TV's they were selling.  It is very heavy and the box is huge so make sure padeliver mo or have someone burly with you. I measured 66 inches diagonal so maybe an extra inch? Or naduling lang ako haha!   Coming from a plasma, I can say na blacks are as black as can be for my untrained eyes. The edges are slightly sensitive so mag-ingat lang. Try carrying the weight from below and alalay na lang sa taas. I think this is the best TV at the price its at. The only thing that beats it is the OLEDs.  I will try the post-calibration settings in Rtings.com and see if we get an improvement.

Sir have you tested it side by side with the Samsung 65mu8000 or just the OLed? Thanks

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 01:00 PM »
Sir have you tested it side by side with the Samsung 65mu8000 or just the OLed? Thanks

yes sir, but I focused on the MU7000 which I believed is the same as the MU8000 (curved screen is the difference between the two models) ... I was not interested with the curved screen, hence did not really consider the MU8000

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 09:29 PM »
yes sir, but I focused on the MU7000 which I believed is the same as the MU8000 (curved screen is the difference between the two models) ... I was not interested with the curved screen, hence did not really consider the MU8000

What's your take on the comparison between mu7000 and sj8500 sir raptor? Thanks

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 10:56 PM »
What's your take on the comparison between mu7000 and sj8500 sir raptor? Thanks

based on side-by-side comparison, I personally find the SJ8500 to have a better quality, hence I purchased it even though it was more expensive than the MU7000 ... I could not really compare the audio quality when I'm at Ansons because it was too noisy, but it was a big bonus that the audio quality of the SJ8500 is much better than the usual - I was quite impressed with it once I tested it at home .... audio is Harman Kardon with 2.2 speaker configuration

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2017 at 11:42 PM »
Thanks Sir Raptor  :)
Sana makapigil pa kasi baka mag price drop ng 4th Q of 2017 based from the yearly thread ng TV prices. Like last year, yung LG 65b6p dropped to 120K range. Baka itong 65sj8500 maging 80K range. Hehehe

Offline cHiNo2728

• DVD Addict
  • Its All In Your Ears
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 08, 2017 at 11:04 AM »
Sample shots of 4k HDR content on a room with a lot of ambient light.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

LG SuperUHD SJ8500
Yamaha RXV 673
Raspberry Pi 2
Pana BDT310
Polk Audio Rti A7 & A6
Dual SVS PB100

Offline cHiNo2728

• DVD Addict
  • Its All In Your Ears
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 08, 2017 at 12:01 PM »
Doors.closed with some light seeping through the window curtains.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

LG SuperUHD SJ8500
Yamaha RXV 673
Raspberry Pi 2
Pana BDT310
Polk Audio Rti A7 & A6
Dual SVS PB100

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2017 at 03:15 PM »
congratz with your 65SJ85, sir chino...

agree with you about the built-in HK speakers on LGs.  i have the 2016 55UH85 and LG PH website mentions about its speakers in 2.2 config -- didn't understand at that time what it meant and I didn't bother.  until when I brought it home, boom!  no special need of a soundbar.  this made me appreciate a lot more the youtube music video collections I've got  :)

sir loiue, patience to wait until Jan 2018, you might get a better deal during that time compared with 4Q to Dec 2017  ^-^

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 20, 2017 at 03:29 PM »
nice screenshots sir Chino, congrats to your new 65-inch SJ85 ... how much did you get it sir?

Offline alx

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2017 at 12:06 AM »
Onti onti nang bumababa...
Cheapest 65sj8500 sa olx seller right now is at Php 88,000... Onting ipon pa ;D

Offline megalomania

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2017 at 06:51 AM »
Hi!

How to check if unit is brand new sir?
Total usage hours from webos?
Does the unit come with a film on the screen when taken out from the box?

Thanks!

Offline megalomania

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM »
Just had my LG 55 SJ8500 delivered to out house.

Opened it and tried it out and checked the total power on time via webos.

1612 Hours clocked! Wow!

I will demand a replacement.