Author Topic: DHL Customs Tax and Service Fee  (Read 23173 times)

Offline brutalpanda

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DHL Customs Tax and Service Fee
« on: Jul 18, 2017 at 10:36 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone tried DHL to bring in an item from US or China?

I'm backing a project via Kickstarter and they are planning to use DHL as their primary courier. While I'm confident on DHL as a service, I have read horror stories on how much they "charge".

The item is less than 200USD (including the shipping fee). Would I be charged with Customs Tax still? And what's the average rate DHL charges for delivery + processing?

Thanks!
Honest Movie Reviews:
http://www.reeladvice.net

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 688
Re: DHL Customs Tax and Service Fee
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2017 at 11:00 PM »
The last time I ordered something from Massdrop, they shipped the item to me through DHL. The value of the item was also less than $200. DHL did not deliver the item door to door and instead forwarded it to PhilPost. I only paid P112 pesos at my local postal office but damn, the item took about a month before I got it.

On the other hand, I recently ordered another sub $200 item directly from the manufacturer's US web store and paid quite a lot for fedex express shipping thinking that it would breeze through the local customs like before. The item arrived at my doorstep in four days but fedex charged me an extra P560 for a customs clearance fee upon delivery. I've used their service a couple of times already and this has never happened to me before. I guess it's just a matter of luck when it comes to the customs broker and customs officer handling the package.

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM »
Wow, Philpost? Scary but at least it arrived.

For Fedex, that's not bad. I was expecting almost double the item price. I guess the $200 USD limit for import items is being taken seriously. Good for all of us?
Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM »
Ingat lang, as forex is now about P51:$1.  So mga $180 lang dapat ipa declare nyo.  And threshold amount is inclusive of shipping charges.

I had the same bad experience with FedEx.  It's an internal FedEx fee.  None of that goes to the government.  I ended up charging the seller the FedEx fees, since agreement was "Free Shipping".

Offline arudorin

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM »
What type of product did you purchase from Kickstarter? I've been using DHL for all of my shipments since 2012. As long as you're article is a luxury item, doesn't weigh more than 2KG, and in a small package, you'll will not be charged anything (free).
"quality in everything we do"

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2017 at 12:02 PM »
Ingat lang, as forex is now about P51:$1.  So mga $180 lang dapat ipa declare nyo.  And threshold amount is inclusive of shipping charges.

I had the same bad experience with FedEx.  It's an internal FedEx fee.  None of that goes to the government.  I ended up charging the seller the FedEx fees, since agreement was "Free Shipping".

Copy sir. I thought 200USD, P10,000 pala yung basis that's why it's affected by forex. I'm more concerned how much DHL will charge on top of the 15USD shipping fee by the seller.
Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2017 at 12:07 PM »
What type of product did you purchase from Kickstarter? I've been using DHL for all of my shipments since 2012. As long as you're article is a luxury item, doesn't weigh more than 2KG, and in a small package, you'll will not be charged anything (free).

It's an Adnroid Wear smart watch valued at 199USD but sold at a Kickstarter price of 119USD + 15USD shipping fee. Not sure if it can be considered as a luxury item as it's made out of plastic.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be lighter than 2KG but the box is big. Parang rubberband box or slightly bigger (seen an unboxing vid).
Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2017 at 01:15 AM »
Hi,

Has anyone tried DHL to bring in an item from US or China?

I'm backing a project via Kickstarter and they are planning to use DHL as their primary courier. While I'm confident on DHL as a service, I have read horror stories on how much they "charge".

The item is less than 200USD (including the shipping fee). Would I be charged with Customs Tax still? And what's the average rate DHL charges for delivery + processing?

Thanks!

I used it for shipping something from the UK in the past. Pagdating ng DHL delivery van sinisingil ako ng taxes, at hindi daw nila marerelease ang item kapag di binayaran since binayaran na ng DHL ang customs ng taxes na naka-quote. Kung sakin lang yung item di ko babayaran at mas mataas pa ang taxes kesa dun sa cost ng item (car part). Pero since pinabili ng dad ko, I paid/claimed it.

Customs did not use the declared value. Hindi ko alam san nila napulot ang value na ginamit nilang basis for taxes. Most likely nagsearch sa internet ng pinakamataas na price for that item.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017 at 01:18 AM by Stagea »

Offline Arulco

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2017 at 02:02 PM »
Nag order ako ng driving sim accessory from Poland worth less than P10K a few months ago. Sa DHL express nila pinadala pero medyo mahal yung shipping na siningil sa akin. Door-to-door ang delivery at wala nang additional charges.

Yung mga order ko from Massdrop on the other hand, laging pinapasa ng DHL sa Philpost pero much cheaper ang shipping fee nila plus P112 lang binayad ko para ma claim yung item sa postal office.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2017 at 02:04 PM by Mr. Bungle »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2017 at 08:51 PM »
If dhl delivers it may usual customs release fee.  More or less 600.  Iba pa charge ng duties kung mayroon.  My son and I bought won in an Internet draw for a media player and.it was shipped separately thru dhl.. Value was $ 40.. I paid paid 800 and my son was charged 650..

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Offline gambit21

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Collector
  • We Strike!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2017 at 10:35 AM »
recently bought an ibasso pb3 portable amp direct from ibasso for USD200+, shipping included.  DHL delivered door to door, was not charged any taxes at may sms updates pa sa delivery schedule.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM »
Bought a gadget from Shen Zhen China yesterday, August 9, 2017...
Item was shipped via DHL Express the same day.
Received the item today, August 10, 2017.
Didn't pay any duties or taxes.
Item value is declared to be $149.99 with shipping weight of 0.5kg.

That was fast...

Offline Arulco

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2017 at 12:37 PM »
Nakuha ko na kahapon from my local post office yung item ko from Massdrop worth $105 including DHL shipping which weighs in at 1.6kgs. The item shipped out from NJ USA last June 30, 2017 so inabot ng around a month and a half in transit yung package. Dumaan pa siya sa distribution hub ng DHL sa Germany. Only paid P112 to the local post office to claim my item.

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2017 at 11:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the inputs.  I'm confident now not to get charged as my item is less than 200USD. Will let you know how it turns out once I get it October-November if there are no delays. :D

Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2017 at 11:30 AM »
Thanks everyone for the inputs.  I'm confident now not to get charged as my item is less than 200USD. Will let you know how it turns out once I get it October-November if there are no delays. :D

I think customs tax lang ang free below $200. Pero sa VAT, meron pa din.

Offline Arulco

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2017 at 06:21 PM »
Below P10,000 regardless of the exchange rate and exemption AFAIK.

Offline megalomania

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2017 at 01:11 PM »
Anybody tried to buy a wheel rim online? ( < $200)
May tax kaya ito pagdating dito?
Saka pwede kaya paisa-isa bili? ;)

Thanks!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2017 at 11:47 PM »
Kapag DHL you will be at their mercy kung ano ang i-declare nila na value sa BIR. I dunno if this applies maski may receipt sa item mo.

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 09:59 AM »
Here's an ongoing DHL horror story:

I recently ordered 3 blu-ray titles from Amazon UK. Just like in the past, I chose the cheapest shipping option for my package which is always sent via Royal Mail. This has been the case since I started shopping at Amazon.co.uk in 2010. For the very first time, Amazon sent my package through DHL, complete with tracking number; this came as surprise considering I only paid for their standard shopping option. I was able to track my package as it left the fulfillment center in Edinburgh to its arrival here in the Philippines 3 days later. Initially, sabi ko OK to, a- in a short period of time nandito na sa atin in contrast to the normal 15 to 30 days waiting time. Here's the catch: As I was regularly checking the DHL tracking page for updates, the status changed to "Customs  clearance delay" last Sunday. Thinking this must be due to non-working weekend day at Customs, I let it pass until DHL called up last night asking me to submit an OMB (that's right, it's Optical Media Board) clearance. I asked for more details since this is this first time I am required to provide one; I mentioned PHLpost which handles the Royal Mail packages does not require any such clearances/permits in the last 5 Amazon UK blu ray packages delivered to me this year (I got one less than 3 weeks ago).  I also told the rep I got a blu ray package each from FedEx and UPS earlier this year, but both couriers did not require an OMB clearance as well. No further explanation was given but DHL later sent me an email with instructions on how to secure the clearance. It says I need to send an email to OMB to ask for clearance (the email address is not even a government email account). The processing usually takes 3 days and they can get it on my behalf by providing a scanned authorization letter and a valid ID. On top of that, It also stated DHL will charge a minimum of P664 as storage fee after 3 days upon shipment arrival >:( Attached in the mail are 3 documents: a copy of the Amazon invoice, a template for the OMB letter and the OMB circular about the clearance issued in June last year. I sent an email to the local FedEx and UPS inquiring about this clearance. I'll let you know how it goes.

As I have said, this is the first time I'm required to submit OMB clearance. Would appreciate if you could share a similar experience. I googled and only saw 2 incidents: one from reddit and another one from an unfamiliar Kpop forum.
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline backdraft

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM »
^ Did they charge you additional shipping fees for the blu-rays?

Offline Oloap

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM »
Here's an ongoing DHL horror story:

I recently ordered 3 blu-ray titles from Amazon UK. Just like in the past, I chose the cheapest shipping option for my package which is always sent via Royal Mail. This has been the case since I started shopping at Amazon.co.uk in 2010. For the very first time, Amazon sent my package through DHL, complete with tracking number; this came as surprise considering I only paid for their standard shopping option. I was able to track my package as it left the fulfillment center in Edinburgh to its arrival here in the Philippines 3 days later. Initially, sabi ko OK to, a- in a short period of time nandito na sa atin in contrast to the normal 15 to 30 days waiting time. Here's the catch: As I was regularly checking the DHL tracking page for updates, the status changed to "Customs  clearance delay" last Sunday. Thinking this must be due to non-working weekend day at Customs, I let it pass until DHL called up last night asking me to submit an OMB (that's right, it's Optical Media Board) clearance. I asked for more details since this is this first time I am required to provide one; I mentioned PHLpost which handles the Royal Mail packages does not require any such clearances/permits in the last 5 Amazon UK blu ray packages delivered to me this year (I got one less than 3 weeks ago).  I also told the rep I got a blu ray package each from FedEx and UPS earlier this year, but both couriers did not require an OMB clearance as well. No further explanation was given but DHL later sent me an email with instructions on how to secure the clearance. It says I need to send an email to OMB to ask for clearance (the email address is not even a government email account). The processing usually takes 3 days and they can get it on my behalf by providing a scanned authorization letter and a valid ID. On top of that, It also stated DHL will charge a minimum of P664 as storage fee after 3 days upon shipment arrival >:( Attached in the mail are 3 documents: a copy of the Amazon invoice, a template for the OMB letter and the OMB circular about the clearance issued in June last year. I sent an email to the local FedEx and UPS inquiring about this clearance. I'll let you know how it goes.

As I have said, this is the first time I'm required to submit OMB clearance. Would appreciate if you could share a similar experience. I googled and only saw 2 incidents: one from reddit and another one from an unfamiliar Kpop forum.

Malaking kalokohan.

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM »
File a refund from Amazon UK.

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:29 PM »
^ Did they charge you additional shipping fees for the blu-rays?

None, charged for standard shipping only. I already chatted with an Amazon UK CSR asking about their use of DHL instead of Royal Mail. Depende raw sa fulfillment center kung anong carrier ang gagamitin.

Malaking kalokohan.

Sinabi mo bro. Hindi ko alam kung sino ang mas gustong kumita, DHL, OMB o BOC.

File a refund from Amazon UK.

I'm still waiting for a positive development. I made an inquiry to FedEx and UPS, asking them about the OMB clearance, so far only FedEx has responded. FedEx told me that OMB clearance/permit is exempted for any shipment bound to an individual as long as the package contains 6 pieces (titles) or less. I should be exempted since my package contains 3 items only.  I asked for an official document citing this exemption and FedEx sent me a copy of the OMB circular. I emailed DHL regarding this exemption so I'm now waiting for a response. Wish me luck mga bro!

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:40 PM »
^ayos si Fedex! Kudos to them for providing the info

Keep us posted of the outcome

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM »
None, charged for standard shipping only. I already chatted with an Amazon UK CSR asking about their use of DHL instead of Royal Mail. Depende raw sa fulfillment center kung anong carrier ang gagamitin.

Sinabi mo bro. Hindi ko alam kung sino ang mas gustong kumita, DHL, OMB o BOC.

I'm still waiting for a positive development. I made an inquiry to FedEx and UPS, asking them about the OMB clearance, so far only FedEx has responded. FedEx told me that OMB clearance/permit is exempted for any shipment bound to an individual as long as the package contains 6 pieces (titles) or less. I should be exempted since my package contains 3 items only.  I asked for an official document citing this exemption and FedEx sent me a copy of the OMB circular. I emailed DHL regarding this exemption so I'm now waiting for a response. Wish me luck mga bro!

its their way of charging you "storage fees"...

my wife ordered something abroad.. ok sige exceeded 10k pesos. sabi ko no choice you have to pay taxes na sinisingil ng dhl.. pero nakakatawa is walang official receipt ng boc.. meron is O.R. ng dhl.. so di ko alam kung sa boc ba talaga napunta ang taxes na binayaran...

i told my wife to email DHL to get the official receipt issued by BOC

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 01:07 PM »
^ Sharing with you a post I made awhile back:

Blu-ray discs from Amazon.co.jp are quite expensive. I bought a limited edition "The Phantom of the Opera" encoded in Dolby TrueHD for 4,331 yen (P3,251). What made it more expensive was the charges from DHL and customs. I paid a total of P4,960 for this 2-disc title.

Didn't have much choice since Amazon.jp only ships via DHL during that time. Walanghiya talaga kung makapagcharge the customs duties yan DHL. In the same incident quoted above, I remembered looking at DHL/BOC's computation copy of the duties and found it erroneous. I sent them my invoice together with my own computation of the supposed charges. Guess what, DHL relented to my computation- nabawasan ng >P600 yung siningil nila sa akin.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 06:24 PM »
djan ang pera sa storage fees, kahit anong preclearing mo parang me dahilan pa din at turo nila customs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toy

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 06:30 PM »
each item shipped has a customs code so make sure that shows in your order if you can insist esp. from CN

also make sure if you will include the invoice that you can prove you paid that same amount.

kasi they will look it up sa internet and if they see the item is undervalued you need to be ready with your proof of payment .

dhl or air2100 pareho lang yan,

also watch over quantity limits of your items to show its for non commercial

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2017 at 06:33 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 07:13 PM »
^ayos si Fedex! Kudos to them for providing the info

Keep us posted of the outcome

UPS finally answered- their response is similar to FedEx's. In practice, both companies observe the 6-item/optical media exemption. Here is the OMB circular I mentioned above:

DHL also responded and acknowleged the circular I provided. They are now awaiting OMB's go ahead signal after forwarding the same circular which originally came from OMB.  ::) ::)

Bureaucracy at its finest!!!

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2017 at 07:22 PM »
djan ang pera sa storage fees, kahit anong preclearing mo parang me dahilan pa din at turo nila customs

PHLPost also charges storage fee (P112/package) pero sobra naman sa DHL:

min. P664.38 for 1st 3 days, then (number of days x 2.64 x weight ) + VAT
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2017 at 07:23 PM by edwn1220 »