Author Topic: Mike De Leon Set: Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising, Kakabakaba Ka Ba?, Hindi Nahahati  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
ABS-CBN has released a triple disc set of the digitally remastered versions of three Mike De Leon films: Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising, Kakabakaba Ka Ba?, and Hindi Nahahati Ang Langit.

Available now at the ABS-CBN store at the ELJCC Bldg. of ABS-CBN for 900 pesos.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The iTunes release of Kung Mangarap is disappointing but I suspect that it's the source material. 

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Some Notes on the Restored and Remastered DVD Version of "Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising" (1977)

KMKM's original screen title design

KMKM's iconic walk-in-the-rain scene

Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising ("KMKM") is one of the most anticipated film restoration projects of ABS-CBN's Sagip Pelikula. Central Digital Lab, Inc., ABS-CBN's partner in the said projects, worked on KMKM for about 1,000 hours of manual digital restoration, done locally from 2K quality scans by Italy’s L’Immagine Ritrovata film restoration lab. Ritrovata, by the way, is known worldwide as a topnotch film preservation company. Music and audio restoration was supervised by Director Mike De Leon himself. Special cinema screenings for the restored film premiered in early 2016. The DVD version I obtained recently, part of the triple-disc set collectively packaged as The Films of Mike De Leon, was released in May 2017, marking a four-decade milestone for KMKM.

KMKM original 1977 movie poster

A "new" poster for the restored version

VIDEO QUALITY
Technically, KMKM is not a Full HD 1080p presentation, considering the inherent limitation of the DVD format. Picture size and pixel aspect ratio of the DVD format max out at 720x480 and 720x576 for NTSC and PAL, respectively. That said, the restored version of KMKM on a dual-layer DVD is decently upscaled on my 65" 4K TV without black bars.

Comparing it with my old DVD version of the movie (full of specks, lines, discoloration, poor contrast and brightness levels), the restored version practically shows a night-and-day difference.  Wow, talk about details that are not visible in the old copy!

Take a look at the following before-and-after screengrab samples from one of KMKM's highlights, i.e., the picnic scene:

Visual improvements in color grading, contrast and brightness are commendable. Thank you, Central Digital Lab, Inc., viewers can now better appreciate De Leon’s original intention, which was to create a tableau that looks and feels like a dream. A perfect backdrop for the film's mood and storyline.

Courtship (or flirting?) before the era of social media

Hilda Koronel with Laurice Guillen

KMKM's soft photography is undeniably gorgeous, especially when the lovely Hilda Koronel is the camera's sole subject and focus. Perhaps there is really something in Baguio's (or Sagada's) atmosphere which helps to bring this cinematic intention to full fruition.

AUDIO QUALITY
The restored sound is very clear, in stereo format. Dialogs are no longer muffled. Neither is Joey's Theme tinny and scratchy. For the first time, I even distinctly heard the sound of fireplace embers inside the house of Ana (played by Hilda Koronel)! Alright, no multichannel 5.1 magic here, but the sonic improvement easily trumps my old copy's audio which suffered from drop-outs and constant noise. I have no complaints about KMKM being played through my A/V receiver's virtual surround mode to compensate for the lack of 5.1 audio.

SPECIAL FEATURES
I am very particular with special features, precisely the reason why I prefer owning the discs over streaming a movie. I usually go for the director's audio commentary with some of my Hollywood DVDs and BDs. It is a separate audio track that can be played simultaneously with the movie. Apparently, this particular DVD release has a "missing" audio commentary. Strange, because the packaging clearly indicates information that there are two (2) commentaries, one for audio and another for video. So what happened? Was it intentionally removed before the DVD's release? Was it possibly a planned director's commentary that didn't materialize just in time for the DVD's pressing? Or was it simply a printing error in the packaging?

Here is the DVD packaging information showing "Special Features" with the (highlighted) audio commentary:

And here is the actual onscreen DVD menu which omits a selection for that audio commentary:

Nonetheless, don't let the aforesaid omission—a minor one—hold you back if you're thinking of buying the restored film on DVD. It's a steal for PHP900 (roughly the equivalent of US$18.00) because it is bundled together with the restored and remastered versions of De Leon's Kakabakaba Ka Ba? and Hindi Nahahati Ang Langit. Plus, the set contains other extras such as poster designs, trailers, stills and Kakabakaba Ka Ba? scanned original script. A pretty good deal. I would highly recommend it, although I am not a fan of the set's packaging. Kakabakaba Ka Ba? didn't come with its own disc cradle, just a cardboard cut-out which puts the disc's reflective side at risk of scratches. The other two DVDs came with disc cradles.

Cardboard cut-out for Kakabakaba Ka Ba? Disc

Only two disc cradles for the triple-disc set

Although I wish they could have included the 20-minute behind-the-scenes documentary which was featured at its premiere screening at the Power Plant Cinema in early 2016, KMKM's video commentary is an exceptional and welcome bonus for a Filipino film restoration project. Thumbs up for that! Two of KMKM's original supporting casts, Bibeth Orteza and Boboy Garovillo, sat down with Manet Dayrit (CEO of Central Digital Lab, Inc.) and Jun Latonio (the movie's musical director) for this purpose. The split-screen video commentary for the entire movie reveals surprising information—both serious and funny—which otherwise would not have been easily known by the viewers. For example, in some scenes where Christopher De Leon was shown deftly playing the piano, it was actually Jun Latonio on the keyboard doing a "hand double" for Christopher's. Another example is the revelation that the existing prints of KMKM sustained heavy damage from molds, making the restoration a difficult process. 

Some screengrabs from KMKM's video commentary:

Bibeth Orteza and Manet Dayrit

Boboy Garovillo and Jun Latonio

In this beautifully-photographed film now in its restored and remastered splendor, Baguio—at least as I fondly remember it back in the day—has never appeared more idyllic.  In Mike De Leon's rom-com film 40 years later, we get to see a young Hilda Koronel in her prime, whose angelic beauty has never been more ethereal, and whose silver-screen presence is once more immortalized on digital format.

Hilda Koronel on the set of KMKM, 1977
(Photo by Pablito Ibañez)

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Is this set available already in regular video stores (ie. Astroplus), or is it only available at the ABS-CBN Store?

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Is this set available already in regular video stores (ie. Astroplus), or is it only available at the ABS-CBN Store?

I ordered it from ABS-CBN's online store. They delivered the set after two days.

I don't remember seeing recently remastered DVDs from Star Home Video in Astroplus Stores. 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Yeah, like traveler69 said, it's only available online and at the ABS-CBN store.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Copy, traveler69 & Mr. Hankey. Thanks!

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Just a side note, @jas. I was actually trying to order this set back in July 2017 but it was already "out of stock." Looks like there's a good demand for this particular DVD.

Only a few days ago I casually checked ABS-CBN's website and when I saw the availability of this set, I quickly ordered it.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
^  Thanks again, traveler69. I'll try to get this.... :)

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
was able to buy this set along with Karnal and T Bird at Ako/Ikaw ay Akin double feature at the CCP Cinemalaya abs cbn central digital lab booth

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Ordered the set yesterday noon time from the ABS-CBN Online Store. Package was delivered & received today. Ang bilis naman pala.... ;D

Offline Davenport

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 198
Last year I saw the restored film at a screening held at U.P. Cine Adarna. Hilda Koronel really radiated on the screen. I was impressed because the restored quality did not destroy the film quality with over the top or unnecessary futzing. This is, after all, a movie shot on film, not on digital video. I collect Filipino movies with nice DVD extras.  The mentioned video commentary is a rare feature for local films. Sad for that missing audio commentary. (Paging Leo Katigbak!) Thank you @traveler69 for the heads up that this set has a video commentary.

I will order this set. Looking forward to see the video commentary.

Offline BuddyBoy60

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have bought a copy of this already. The movies are good. If I have to rank them in terms of my preference it would be:

1. HINDI NAHAHATI ANG LANGIT
2. KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING
3. KAKABAKABA KABA?

Funny, when I played them in our old dvd player, they seem to be heavilly cropped along the edges of the frame. I said what a pity. But when I played them using my father's more advance player which uses HDMI to connects both audio and video to your television, that is when I fully appreciated the movies. Worth the buy. The set is representative of the best of Mike De Leon's escapist films. I hope another set this time featuring his more politically charged and heavier dramas such as Sister Stella L., Kisapmata, and Batch '81 will soon be released. Perhaps it would be timely when De Leon's comeback film Citizen Jake is released? Here's to hoping!

MABUHAY!
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2017 at 05:40 PM by BuddyBoy60 »