Author Topic: LG C7 OLED (Back in Black...no... in Perfect Black!)  (Read 13132 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
Re: LG C7 OLED (back to the hobby...I think)
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2017 at 07:35 AM »
That would be ideal if manufacturers  consistently evolve their products (LG so far does this). There are times newer models tend to drop in quality over the previous ones. A very frustrating example would be... the Sony X80D from 2016 fared way better than the more current X80E. Now, if you’re looking for the “D” model they will always say “It’s phased out already”.

Unfortunately, the latest is not always the greatest:)

Sony switched a lot of its models to IPS, unfortunately. OLED is truly a great screen platform, and it is continuing to mature (performance improves with every generation while cost continues to go down).

On a different note, 8K is expected to go on sale next year:
http://www.techradar.com/news/8k-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-futuristic-resolution

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2017 at 09:06 AM »
Real world recommendation:

My conclusion of the review points out to me recommending this TV based on its stellar performance. And I would and will because its really a gorgeous TV that outperforms most, if not all the competition (Size and price range)...  but then, i looked at the price and lets face it. 100k is like a downpayment for a mid size economy sedan!

This is meant to temper the buying crave before you plunge your hard earned cash, max out your card, take a company loan...These are real world recommendations we  need to address before we make that commitment.

Hear me out...

If you’ll be watching SD content 60 percent of the time, throwing in a couple of DVDs once in awhile... Then pls there are cheaper models out there that are more “back for the buck” I hope the C7 is not on your list...

If you’re just into gaming and not really much of a movie fan. There are other 4K TVs, that have good input response times with more than decent picture quality for this type of media and saves your money at the same time...The Sony X80E comes to mind.  The 80E has the Tri-Luminous component that gives justice to HDR gaming.

If you love movies and play some 4k games. You want to plunge into the world of HDR but budget is really tight...Hey, I don’t blame you! If I can get my hobby fix and still preserve my daily financial commitments, i’d go for it without a wink... and the Samsung MU 406103 (Best entry level 4k TV) will give you just that. Go for the MU6100 series if you want screens larger than 40. They’re pretty good for anything you throw at them...4k movies, HDR media and games.

If you have more cash to spare but still below the asking price of the C7 you can look at the following TVs which will give you credible performance across 4k and HDR.  The Samsung MU7000G and the Sony X8500D are models for that.

For those, who really have resources to burn they can go for Sony’s flagship A1 OLED...physically the most beautiful TV I’ve ever seen. The asking price is 150k, Ive read the picture quality is on par with the C7 but the added features may not justify the big price difference...well who knows? It really looks good and I can imagine the unit as the centre piece of a very modern living room😉
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2017 at 11:24 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2017 at 09:10 AM »
Sony switched a lot of its models to IPS, unfortunately. OLED is truly a great screen platform, and it is continuing to mature (performance improves with every generation while cost continues to go down).

On a different note, 8K is expected to go on sale next year:
http://www.techradar.com/news/8k-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-futuristic-resolution

Don’t even mention 8k😡 I’m trying to get out of this hobby as quickly as I got back into it😆😆😆

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2017 at 11:45 PM »
Want to see how good this TV can really perforn? Just watch OKJA from Netflix and see (and hear) Dolby Vision and Atmos in action...happy happy penguin🐧
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 02:44 AM »
Don’t even mention 8k😡 I’m trying to get out of this hobby as quickly as I got back into it😆😆😆

We all know it's gonna happen. ;) It won't make our current TVs any worse so we shouldn't be bothered (unless you're thinking of upgrading again). :D

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 06:51 PM »
No more upgrade thats enough😆

Anyway, i’m off to a partner of mine who still has a pioneer kuro elite:

(Oled vs Plasma)

- Using PS3 not PS4

- 1080p 24 (Signal) No UHD

We’ll see i’m all giddy:)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 09:29 PM »
About to start Kuro comparison but before that may I add to my review that i noticed some vertical banding on the C7 with a light gray background...did a research and it appears that this is an OLED/LG issue. Not a big deal though:)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #37 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 10:08 PM »
^ i hope that certical banding doesnt get worse over time. Its distracting talaga.

Carlo cant wait to hear johnny’s reaction hahaha

Your reviews are always fun to read, never boring but very scary lol (mapapagastos ka talaga)

You should start doing this professionally para you can get your hands on the best tvs for free

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 10:09 PM »
Ps pasa momsa akin after ka magsawa lol

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #39 on: Nov 12, 2017 at 05:14 AM »
No more upgrade thats enough😆

Ps pasa momsa akin after ka magsawa lol

bakit malakas kutob ko na mangyayari ito soon! ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #40 on: Nov 12, 2017 at 07:06 AM »
Sir Carlo, just wondering if you compared the LG OLED with Samsung's QLED, and what are your observations if you did?
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 12, 2017 at 09:03 PM »
Thanks Ricky...wait til you get a load of this:

Kuro vs OLED scenario:

When I want to do something and I know I have the capacity and the capability to get it done. I wouldn’t  wait —� No matter the “hassle”.

The test required both units be brought together in one place. The Kuro being the heavier of the two and since I was the one egging for the test. I had to bring the TV to the house of my friend where the Kuro  was.

Challenge 1:

To box and unbox the TV when I leave and arrive the target area is a complete waste of time. Now lifting the C7 will require 2 sets of hands (No problemo) —�- To lift it without  smudging was the actual challenge! Normally, i’d use micro fibre clothes over my hands to prevent finger prints (I hate them... both on my cars and TVs). However, all cleaning clothes at that time were damp and wet because we just washed the vehicles. If I use them, the TV may get water stains😉 Bad idea! And if I use my shirts —� My partner in life will be totally pissed. Next best thing? Aha! My underpants(unused of coarse)! One for each hand. And with the guard to help me carry the C7... that will make four! (4 sets of underpants). Calling the poor fellow and throwing him my jocks, I told him to “wear” them and on my signal “lift” . With less than stellar enthusiasm we carefully lifted the thing and made our way to the garage.

Challenge 2:

Garage scenario was no better...Kc used the SUV and all that remained were 2 roadsters and none of them can sensibly and possibly ferry the LG.  Time to call the warehouse and ask for a delivery van (an open one) to bring the TV. The hassle free way is to have the helper and the guard hold the TV at the back of the van. While I take my car and ask them follow me to the site. But nooooo I’d rather hold my precious thank you...so off we go... TV in toe along with the jocks (the other 2 sets now unceremoniously handed over from guard to helper).

The Set Up:

Arriving, we unloaded the stuff and my Brit friend immediately noticed the “improvised” gloves. Having known me for a long time, he was able to expertly deduce why they were used in the first place. He just quickly motioned us in, turned around, uttering the word “Mental” over and over again while we propped  mighty Kuro and flashy C7 near each other.

The 150FD was an imposing figure, all decked in black with a glossy black frame around it (Almost looking like Darth Vader with a flowing cape)...A gold emblem was the only contrast to this Sith Lord ominous appearance. The Plasma had panel scratches, swirls on the bezel and even chips on the sides. It has seen better days but it hasn’t seen a better TV. The Kuro reigns as the centre piece of my friends entertainment system with an air of confidence and a sense of irreplaceability. 

The C7 (on the other hand) strangely mirrored its presented rival. Also in black and also lacking garishness in design. Aside from being razor thin, it was only set apart by it’s unusually white back panel. They posses  the same spirt but very different souls drove them. 

One held the past unsurpassed with a  perceived legacy of untouchability that holds to the present. The other represented the new and a vision of what could be...

Testing😉
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2017 at 11:27 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #42 on: Nov 12, 2017 at 09:38 PM »
Waiting for your results.  I still have a couple of Kuros and haven’t felt the urge to upgrade until these 4K Oleds came around.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 12, 2017 at 10:01 PM »
What is the size difference? Cant seem to remember who but there is this client of mine who also still has the mighty kuro as his main monitor. He was thinking of replacing it with a bigger panel and even comtimplated on an entry level sony pj. I just said your are better off with the kuro, wait for it to retire na lang. there is no upgrade for a kuro really hahaha.

And the suspense continues... back to regular programming.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 12, 2017 at 11:42 PM »
Player used for the Test: (Round 1)

PS3 set to limited RGB and 1080p

Pioneer and C7 set to default Movie/Cinema

Test Movie: Dawn of Justice (Blu-Ray)

Black Level: Both delivered similar levels of black with the C7 presenting more subtle details.

Colour: C7 displayed more vibrant colours over the Kuro. Very subjective and our group was divided here. I liked the more subdued colours of the Kuro but most (Even the owner of the Kuro) preferred the more vibrant colours of the C7.

Motion Handling: Same (from how we observed it)

From this round we can say that if you’ll stick with 1080p content and would view the TV from 7 feet away it will not make any sense to upgrade from a Kuro. The Kuro is still one hell of a TV for FULL HD SDR content and will trump most if not all LED based performers.

Round 2: A touchy round because here we allowed the C7 to flex its full muscle against what the best the Kuro can do.

LGC7 paired with a UPBx1000 4k player from Sony with a 4k Blu Ray copy of “Dawn of Justice”

Vs

Pioneer 60 paired with a PS3 and a regular Blu Ray copy of “Dawn of Justice”

Not a fair apples to apples comparison...We know but the purpose of the test is to find out if  a Kuro owner should jump in the bandwagon of 4K HDR despite having the best of what the past offered.

Results:

C7 (because it was playing a native 4k media) was sharper, more defined and with HDR on... It was a sight to behold (Do note: This is the first time I’m actually seeing a native 4k Blu-Ray in action)! Quite different from the 4k stream i saw with Netflix. This was nearly picture perfect most of the way. One of our companions used the term...The Kuro is still beautiful but looked somewhat “dated” in contrast to the rendition of the C7 with all the new tech factored in.     

We agreed that Kuro owners (at least my friend) did not have a strong enough reason to hop unto 4k simply because The plasma was and still is a splendid performer. My friend needed a strong vehicle to usher an appreciation of these new picture technologies. And gladly OLED is/was the vehicle (not LED) that gave him that appreciation. He’ll buy a 65 LGc7 or a Sony A1 (I’ll help him choose this coming weekend).

What a freaking day!

Time to go home (Now where are my underpants???)
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2017 at 11:53 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline dom_08

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: LG C7 OLED (Back in Black)
« Reply #45 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 01:01 AM »
What a journey! 
Thank you sir Carlo. This is giving me a new upgrade itch.  Hahaha!

HDR is indeed an interesting technology, I love it because it kinda forced the panel manufacturers to move to 10-bit colors 1.03B colors vs 16M colors in 8-bit.   But there is one gray area for HDR and it concerns whites and blacks and this holds true even for the professional monitors we use in production.  OLED screens are great in rendering blacks whilst traditional panels are great in rendering whites; this is where HDR specifcations gets tricky because both panels can't do entire range (black to white)  they settled for a range (which is still better than SDR, btw).   I don't have the the exact numbers with me but think of it this way, if the entire range is 0-100, OLEDs can do 0-90 while tradional panels IPS can do 10-100. 

Why am I saying this?  Because it might be a good enough reason to hold on to that Kuro tv.  But then again, I've been holding on to my LG LH70 for too long already waiting for the next big thing.  Maybe they'll find a way for thay 0-100 thing soon? 

As for 8K, i saw earlier this year a huge 8k tv on sale from Sharp I think.    Still like the LG OLED though.  On the production side, Sharp recently announced their 8k camera for TV broadcast (RED cinema cameras released their 8k camera last year)  which is rumored to be used for the upcoming olympics.  This is good news, this means 4k prices will go down, HAHAHHA.
Sherbourn SR-120
SVS M-Series-02 (MTS, MCS, MBS)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 01:07 AM »
What a journey! 
Thank you sir Carlo. This is giving me a new upgrade itch.  Hahaha!

HDR is indeed an interesting technology, I love it because it kinda forced the panel manufacturers to move to 10-bit colors 1.03B colors vs 16M colors in 8-bit.   But there is one gray area for HDR and it concerns whites and blacks and this holds true even for the professional monitors we use in production.  OLED screens are great in rendering blacks whilst traditional panels are great in rendering whites; this is where HDR specifcations gets tricky because both panels can't do entire range (black to white)  they settled for a range (which is still better than SDR, btw).   I don't have the the exact numbers with me but think of it this way, if the entire range is 0-100, OLEDs can do 0-90 while tradional panels IPS can do 10-100. 

Why am I saying this?  Because it might be a good enough reason to hold on to that Kuro tv.  But then again, I've been holding on to my LG LH70 for too long already waiting for the next big thing.  Maybe they'll find a way for thay 0-100 thing soon? 

As for 8K, i saw earlier this year a huge 8k tv on sale from Sharp I think.    Still like the LG OLED though.  On the production side, Sharp recently announced their 8k camera for TV broadcast (RED cinema cameras released their 8k camera last year)  which is rumored to be used for the upcoming olympics.  This is good news, this means 4k prices will go down, HAHAHHA.

Thats a fine read buddy! Hoping 8k does come but not too soon...
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017 at 08:15 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
LG C7 OLED (Back in Black)
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 02:21 AM »
He’ll buy a 65 LGc7 or a Sony A1 (I’ll help him choose this coming weekend).

What a freaking day!

Time to go home (Now where are my underpants???)

Sir Carlo,
Check out also the Panasonic OLED TVs >:D

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 08:30 AM »
Would love to test the Panny OLED but I simply have no access to it. We’ll review the Sony A1 though😉

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 09:21 AM »
In Retrospect:

Last night everyone drooled over what OLED can do with the right vehicle driving it...but for me the eye opener was the Kuro Plasma. Now, thats what I call money well spent...nearly 9 years! 9 years before it was forced to punch above its weight class. I do remember my friend saying it cost him over 5,000 dollars to buy that thing. And if you could forget about HDR and Dolby Vision and you’re not into 4k gaming. The Kuro can still stay with you til it finally breaks down (ok, broken or unbroken 3 more years tops!) or until more mind boggling tech comes in (8k😡).

Anyway, spent the remaining night re-setting up my “winner by split decision” C7 and “detailing” it. Could you imagine after all the hassle to prevent the smudges, it was totally crapped out by finger prints during the testing period??? Wanted to slap the hands of peeps pointing out subtle details during the review (Joke half meant). Thank the good Lord for Meguiar’s quick interior detailer! Wiped out the finger prints and oily smudges in one go.

It’s 9am and I missed my planned back road antics in Rizal but no matter...with Marvel vs Capcom infinite inside my whirling PS4 pro and on the LG55C7  “Life is good” Then... Kc wakes up and asks “Hon did you sleep na? I go...”no”...she grabs the game controller and shuts off my TV and gives the stare (as i write) to put down my phone and call it a day...

Life is good...sometimes😴

Offline vgsison

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #50 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 09:52 AM »
Thanks for the interesting way to share a review. I have a B6 55 in my bedroom and LG OLEDs are really fun to watch at esp at 4k streaming from netflix. Soon i will get myself a native 4k bd to maximize it fully. Lastly, as in my house, Wifey prevails, most of the time.

Pls make your Sony OLED review soon as i am eyeing this for my Living Room soon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GE Triton5, Aon3, SC X, SS3, Marantz 7010/XPA3 Gen3/Dual SVS Ultra/Panny PT-AR100 Oppo 103

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM »
Thanks for the interesting way to share a review. I have a B6 55 in my bedroom and LG OLEDs are really fun to watch at esp at 4k streaming from netflix. Soon i will get myself a native 4k bd to maximize it fully. Lastly, as in my house, Wifey prevails, most of the time.

Pls make your Sony OLED review soon as i am eyeing this for my Living Room soon.

Thank you! Maybe this Friday we’ll have the review up.

Offline vgsison

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #52 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:47 PM »
Thank you! Maybe this Friday we’ll have the review up.
I await

GE Triton5, Aon3, SC X, SS3, Marantz 7010/XPA3 Gen3/Dual SVS Ultra/Panny PT-AR100 Oppo 103

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM »
^ i hope that certical banding doesnt get worse over time. Its distracting talaga.

Carlo cant wait to hear johnny’s reaction hahaha

Your reviews are always fun to read, never boring but very scary lol (mapapagastos ka talaga)

You should start doing this professionally para you can get your hands on the best tvs for free

Thanks Ricky!

Free TV? Haha I’d rather review cars:) Free TVs hmmm

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM »
Lastly, as in my house, Wifey prevails, most of the time.

The wife??? You let the wife decide? What kind of a man lets his wife dictate to
him his pleasures??? You ought to stand tall and make em kneel and...”Hon Hon...Carlo get your car out of the drive way right now!”...”Right away deary” 😁

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #55 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 07:26 PM »
The wife??? You let the wife decide? What kind of a man lets his wife dictate to
him his pleasures??? You ought to stand tall and make em kneel and...”Hon Hon...Carlo get your car out of the drive way right now!”...”Right away deary” 😁

Yeah! Way to go! We're THE MAN. Ginagawa ko lahat ng ayaw niya. That's how stubborn and powerful I am.

She doesn't want to do the dishes? I do.

She doesn't want to clean the bedroom, I DO!

REAL MEN RULES!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 07:51 PM »
Yeah! Way to go! We're THE MAN. Ginagawa ko lahat ng ayaw niya. That's how stubborn and powerful I am.

She doesn't want to do the dishes? I do.

She doesn't want to clean the bedroom, I DO!

REAL MEN RULES!

You got that right!

The female is one of the few created beings with tremendous power even on bended knees nyahaha...tama na tama na

Back to topic:

The C7’s black level remains constant....(Why doesn’t this sound too intetesting anymore🤔)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #57 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 08:31 PM »
You got that right!

The female is one of the few created beings with tremendous power even on bended knees nyahaha...tama na tama na

Back to topic:

The C7’s black level remains constant....(Why doesn’t this sound too intetesting anymore🤔)

That's cuz your drooling over the 8k.  ;D

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM »
Thanks Ricky!

Free TV? Haha I’d rather review cars:) Free TVs hmmm

Hard to get free cars, but free tvs hmmmm a lot easier.

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #59 on: Nov 14, 2017 at 01:17 PM »
@Carlo
One of the best reviews I've read so far. Sobrang galing ng narrative mo Sir, hindi boring basahin.