Author Topic: Christmas Picks (2017)  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Christmas Picks (2017)
« on: Nov 10, 2017 at 07:55 PM »
Years back i use to do a Christmas round up of recommendations as the season is truly the best time to buy them TVs and i’d also ask other members to give their own recommendations. Christmas is sometimes the season (for me) to break promises. Promising myself to buy a nice Balenciaga bag or a Valentino shoe for the love of my life then a hobby link appears on the horizon...The natural Carlo will then say to himself...”She was bitchy this year...She deserves a lot less”🙃 Joke joke

Discussion can also revolve around whats the best or better still whats right for me? (Based on usage and budget).

Other members are welcomed to give their recommendations as well. Goal is to simply get the right panel for yourself or for someone for the season.

Anyway, I’ll start with my “entry level” recommendation. Entry levels are a mix bag...some of the best and unfortunately some of the worst come from this category.  This entry level TV fortunately belongs to the safer lane of the highway...Why else would I recommend it:

Samsung 40MU6103:

I was looking for a good, price efficient unit for my office. A good well rounded 4k performer for just about anything...Netflix, regular cable broadcast and some games (Yes, I play during lunch breaks only😉) under 40k. And the MU6103 was the best I’ve seen at the projected price point. Good blacks, vivid colours and responsive game input lag. The only problem i noticed so far was the viewing angle is not very good, its not really an issue because i’ll be viewing  directly in-front of the TV.

For entry level performance the 40MU6103 bags the recommendation. The more expensive alternative is the Sony X80E...it has better view angles but the blacks are not as good as the Sammy counter part and almost 10k more... 

I’ll be looking at some mid range TVs again and lets see what we can come up with.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2017 at 07:57 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Christmas Picks (2017)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2017 at 09:44 PM »
Sir Carlo,
Happy to know you are back. Your reviews are really helpful and a joy to read...
Hopefully you include in your next review the mid rangers Sony 65x8500, 65x9000 and Samsung 65mu8000 and mu7000.

Always looking forward to your reviews sir Carlo :)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Christmas Picks (2017)
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2017 at 11:17 PM »
Sir Carlo,
Happy to know you are back. Your reviews are really helpful and a joy to read...
Hopefully you include in your next review the mid rangers Sony 65x8500, 65x9000 and Samsung 65mu8000 and mu7000.

Always looking forward to your reviews sir Carlo :)

Thanks and that’s a lot if TVs haha. I’ve seen some of them so far the MU7000 looks good for a mid range TV esp for games...The Sony X90E is quite the looker...it’s no mid ranger and if you’re into the brighter panels, its a great alternative to the C7 of LG
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2017 at 11:26 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2017 at 11:36 PM »
The Sony X8500D is also a good choice provided you watch in a brighter environent...I remember seeing this TV a few months back (Was in a friends house watching Sups vs Bats) I noticed that blacks appear grayish in a dark room enviroment...I’ll look at it again over the break.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Christmas Picks (2017)
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 12:17 AM »
Thanks and that’s a lot if TVs haha. I’ve seen some of them so far the MU7000 looks good for a mid range TV esp for games...The Sony X90E is quite the looker...it’s no mid ranger and if you’re into the brighter panels, its a great alternative to the C7 of LG
Thanks!!!
Im really looking for an Oled alternative as the LG 65c7 is way beyond my budget ;D
Still around 165K as compred to Sony 65x9000 at around 114K...
That 50K difference could buy me an iPhone X, hahaha ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 06:14 AM »
Ive been auditioning big tvs recently and i compared the mu6100 or 6103 with the sony x 8500 in sm. Btw the difference between the 6100 w the 6103 is the remote.Yes the sony is a lil over the entry level category. The price difference is at least 40k.

The mu is a bright tv in contrast with the sony which is darker. The choice however depends on the eyes of the beholder. For me i prefer the samsung on this aspect. I noticed however that the samsung is lil bit shaky  on fast scenes than the sony. Since the samsung is brighter i have seen more artifacts from it viewing the movie files less than 480p that i copied from my office mate.

I originally favored the sony because of its nice reviews from the net but i am now a bit leaning towards the samsung. The movie files i viewed was directly hooked on the tvs usb to allow its own machine to process everything. So maybe the output may have been dependent on the capability of the tv.

I plan to test the said  tvs again using this time  my media player. I will not use the tvs video processor to determine which of the two can take or render the video better under the said setup because this will be my default setup once i bring any of these two home.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017 at 06:46 AM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 06:50 AM »
Ive been auditioning big tvs recently and i compared the mu6100 or 6103 with the sony x 8500 in sm. Btw the difference between the 6100 w the 6103 is the remote.Yes the sony is a lil over the entry level category. The price difference is at least 40k.

The mu is a bright tv in contrast with the sony which is darker. The choice however depends on the eyes of the beholder. For me i prefer the samsung on this aspect. I noticed however that the samsung is lil bit shaky  on fast scenes than the sony. Since the samsung is brighter i have seen more artifacts from it viewing the movie files less than 480p that i copied from my office mate.

I originally favored the sony because of its nice reviews from the net but i am now a bit leaning towards the samsung. The movie files i viewed was directly hooked on the tvs usb to allow its own machine to process everything. So maybe the output may have been dependent on the capability of the tv.

I plan to test the said  tvs again using this time  my media player. I will not use the tvs video processor to determine which of the two can take or render the video better under the said setup because this will be my default setup once i bring any of these two home.

Price difference is steep for models whose respective performances are pretty close. Well, in your situation I’d rather go 6100:)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 06:52 AM »
Thanks!!!
Im really looking for an Oled alternative as the LG 65c7 is way beyond my budget ;D
Still around 165K as compred to Sony 65x9000 at around 114K...
That 50K difference could buy me an iPhone X, hahaha ;D

Good choice! Like I said this Sony is a good TV esp if your into brighter panels.  And going home with a new Iphone after a TV purchase is never a bad thing:)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 07:40 AM »
Welcome back boss carlo, how are you and johnny.

With your reviews, we can consolidate threads for tvs ranging from entry level to awesome level na.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 08:29 AM »
Welcome back boss carlo, how are you and johnny.

With your reviews, we can consolidate threads for tvs ranging from entry level to awesome level na.

We’re good. Unfortunately our party list broke up hence we did not gun for a second term in congress. But it’s good, i would not want to go back there. John is running a CCTV company now from Korea and does the occasional TV appearances. I ,in turn, was hired by a French Company to expand their business here in the Philippines.

We’re very private citizens now. Johnny was actually the one who kinda pulled me back to the hobby. After our last day in congress (before going home) he “rewarded” himself by going to SM and dragged me along to help him buy a TV. Do note boss, during this time I was so far away from the hobby so basically we went in blind. He walked away with a curved TV that  to this date (annoyingly) he  still raves about.  Fast forward to the present, its my turn to brag about OLED technology but Johnny (Dahil matanda na) refuses to acknowledge OLED’s superiority and the poor guy still believes that 3D is the best thing to ever happen to TV( Hahaha). 3D naman does wonders esp after a round of Johnny Walker😉

Hoping you’re doing well Boss Ricky and I’ll tell the old Cong that we hook up so he could have another ear to listen to his curve TV experience🙃
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2017 at 08:57 AM »
That is funny carlo. Well 3d talaga is not for everyone. Cant stand it at all, its like calling for a puke fest hahaha. I get really dizzy.

Yeah oled isthe best so far but price to size ratio is still like the early 2000 year pricing with plasma, plus wala pa bigger size talaga. I am still enjoying pj sizing at the moment.

A good tv paired with the coming magnify max by polk is a good combo for an awesome simple clutter free setup together with an efficient net provider then its the perfect life na haha

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2017 at 07:59 AM »
Picks for the season 2017:

Budget entry level (Samsung 6301)

Mid range (Sony X90e)

Premium (LG C7)

That’s it😁