Author Topic: Is it ok to use 80hz or 90hz crossover for satellite speakers?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline xb24

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
Sorry if I have another noob question but I haven't found a definitive answer on Google.

I have Energy Take Classic speakers which have

Freq. Response: 115hz-20khz and a
Center Freq. Response: 110hz-20khz
and an SVS PB1000 subwoofer

additional info:
the 3db down for the satellites is 111 Hz, and the center is 94 Hz
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/energy-take-classic-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

The guideline I see on the net is to use 100hz-120hz for satellites but not completely sure if it's not allowed to go below that. After I used the multipoint ypao mic calibration, the receiver selected 80hz crossover but I manually changed it to 110hz as the Energy manual recommends. I've also tried 100,120 and 160 xovers but I found myself able to localize the sounds from the speakers. So I went back to 80hz and 90hz and I thought it made my setup sound more seamless so I'm wondering if ypao did select the right crossover. I have mine now at 90hz and I really like it so far. But if there's a rule that you can't go below 100hz for satellites as it may ruin the speakers then I might have to go bump it up.

Thanks in advance! :)
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2018 at 11:21 AM by xb24 »

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Is it ok to use 80hz or 90hz crossover for satellite speakers?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM »
80 is safe and recommended for most speakers

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018 at 02:22 PM »
^depende sa speakers and listening volume. Safe for sats is 100hz pataas since may sub ka naman. Just saying.

Offline xb24

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018 at 04:34 PM »
^depende sa speakers and listening volume. Safe for sats is 100hz pataas since may sub ka naman. Just saying.

Sir

I listen at -25 to -20 on my yamaha
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2018 at 04:58 PM by xb24 »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018 at 06:43 PM »
3in woofer maliit yan. Also yun volume setting has nothing to do with actual volume unless spl meter gamit mo.  Mararamdaman mo naman kung kaya ng speakers mo eh, obserbahan mo na lang.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018 at 08:05 PM »
3in woofer maliit yan. Also yun volume setting has nothing to do with actual volume unless spl meter gamit mo.  Mararamdaman mo naman kung kaya ng speakers mo eh, obserbahan mo na lang.
Tagilid tayo jan sa 3" woofer then 100hz cutoff for the satellite. Ako at least 120-150hz ang gagawin ko.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2018 at 09:56 AM »
Ideally you have to match the (high pass filter) crossover setting to the -3dB point of the satellites, in this case 115hz (or the next higher setting which is probably 120hz). You should strictly follow that if you listen at or near reference level (corresponds to the volume setting at which your receiver sets itself automatically during auto setup). This is to prevent low frequency, high energy signals from entering and damaging your small speakers.

However if you listen at 10dB below or much lower than reference level, it is safe to use a lower crossover setting. Apparently your satellites can reproduce enough energy to excite the room and create a virtually lower -3dB point as interpreted by the mic and resulted to you liking the sound. Note that this is only applicable for movies where the sound is recorded at reference levels. Musical recordings can have higher levels especially those cut during the loudness wars.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline xb24

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2018 at 06:44 PM »
Thank you sir sa explanation :)