Author Topic: Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (by Lav Diaz)  (Read 15084 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (by Lav Diaz)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 02:16 PM »
Has anyone seen Diaz's Batang Westside? Will it still make a commercial release (after being pulled out noon)? Does he have plans on putting it in video? I really want to see that film.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 02:29 PM »

The last Pinoy film that I made concrete plans for was the first screening of Abaya's Rizal at Louie's THX -- and that was such a HUGE disappointment.

I wrote about how bad that was way back when.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 02:42 PM »
Has anyone seen Diaz's Batang Westside? Will it still make a commercial release (after being pulled out noon)? Does he have plans on putting it in video? I really want to see that film.

Want to watch this film too. I missed it when it was screened in Greenbelt -- one of the pitfalls of working and living in QC.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 02:44 PM »

I wrote about how bad that was way back when.

My friend and I wanted to walk out but our other friend (who worked for Unitel) begged us not to -- nakakahiya daw sa boss nya.  :)

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 07:53 PM »
Do you think this film is the longest? In Philippine cinema history?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 08:28 AM »

Apples -- good idea.  :)

I'm gonna stock up on mints too.

I do hope this is gonna be a good film. The last Pinoy film that I made concrete plans for was the first screening of Abaya's Rizal at Louie's THX -- and that was such a HUGE disappointment.

Indie boi I think we should bring a coffee maker there so that I'll not fall asleep or take a nap especially during lunch hours.... ;D......thanks Noel for the good recommendation.....apples instead of pringles..... :)

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 08:40 AM »
Sir keating,

pashare naman sa snacks mo... dala rin ako... hehehe

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 10:45 AM »
If we drink coffee, we have to make frequent trips to the john. Mag-Kopiko na lang tayo. Or better, bring salty chips!
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 12:14 PM »
Sir keating,

pashare naman sa snacks mo... dala rin ako... hehehe

No problem oggs.....i'm planning to bring pansit malabon na rin which is indie boi's favorite and pichi pichi kaya lang baka maging picnic na instead of watching the film......he-he-he..... ;D

yeah reuven pls bring salty chips also and kopiko.....got the tickets kanina and so far all the reviews are all positive in the U.S. according to Rommel one of the organizers of the premiere screening.  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2004 at 12:17 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 05:07 PM »
Do you think this film is the longest? In Philippine cinema history?

Yep, by far (the second runner up is Diaz's Batang West Side), plus the longest in Asia meant for a single sitting. The Human Condition is nine hours long, but meant to be seen in three instalments; The Burning of the Red Lotus Temple is 27 hours long, but meant to be seen in, I don't remember, 27 installments of one hour each.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 09:01 PM »
Can we buy tickets at the gate? I really hope so because I don't think I have time to get one...

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2004 at 09:13 AM »
I officially declare Lav Diaz as the Conrado de Quiros of film making. Ebolusyon is like a (moving) visual presentation of de Quiros' past articles. There's sakada. There's Fort Bonifacio. There's Lino Brocka. There's Edsa 1.

THE BEST FILM OF 2004.

Even better than 2046 and Sideways.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2004 at 11:33 PM »
I just came from the Ebolusyon screening. I'm still digesting all 10+ hours of it.

My initial reaction though is that Diaz has a lot of balls for using a non-linear narrative approach and an Ozu-like film style for such a long movie.

I hope someone here can answer why some of the tapes were not readily on hand. There was a lot of "dead time" waiting for the tapes to arrive, especially after the fifth hour. Rene Villanueva walked out of the screening when he heard about this. Nalate ba yung lagarista? (joke)  :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 12:09 AM »
I just came also from the screening of Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino. Thanks to Reuven Malter who kept me awake during the entire screening and indie boi.....pre you will survive pala if war will happen. I can't eat without the lights on.  ;D

More than 10 hours is too much for this movie. Can Mr. Lav Diaz explain what was his primary purpose in making one of the longest Filipino film in movie history....but the performaces are all top-notch. Pen Medina, Angie Ferro, Ronnie Lazaro should be given more meaty roles. Its such a pity that Angel Aquino's role was too short.

But then one of my wish lists to see this was granted finally. But one viewing is definitely ENOUGH.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 12:18 AM »
Also came from the screening... Sorry keating, I had to accompany my friend since I was the one who recommended watching the film. Anyway, I still need to digest the entire film (I think it lasted more than 10 hours?). Notwithstanding its low budget roots, I think the was a very striking, even if not really enjoyable, experience. I have a lot of complaints but it is easily one of the best films from this year, and definitely one of the more important Filipino films ever...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 12:21 AM »
Its ok oggs..nice meeting you again RMN also. Im still digesting the entire film, including those actual news footages in the movie.

Congrats to all of us.....we survived more than 10 hours of screening.  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2004 at 12:25 AM by keating »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 12:48 AM »
The version we will be screening is slightly different from the Toronto version (so I've been told, I haven't watched it). May dagdag na 30 mins ata (not sure).

30 mins. more??? The director had 10 hours to tell his story.  What in God's name could he have possibly left out???
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2004 at 12:50 AM by JdelaCruz »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 10:01 AM »

Evolution of a Filipino Family - Lav Diaz

At around 10:45 pm last night, I just finished watching the longest film I've ever seen in my entire life. It lasted more than 10 hours long. It started at around 10:45am but because of several delays of the tapes, which were arriving by piece in the theater, the whole viewing experience lasted to around half a day. Lav Diaz is a truly uncompromising director. His previous effort was Batang West Side, a tale about a Filipino detective investigating the murder of a Filipino immigrant in the United States. That film lasted five hours long and although I haven't seen it, is probably the best Filipino film in recent years. Running twice the length of its predecessor, Evolution of a Filipino Family tackles on a theme that is more at home, the experiences of a Filipino family during and after the regime of dictator Ferdinand Marcos. The central character here is Reynaldo (Elryan de Vera) who was picked up from a Manila trash dump by loony Gilda (Marife Necisito) when he was just a baby. Gilda returned to her agricultural province where the family matriarch Puring (Angie Ferro) resents her coming, blaming her for the death of her husband and all the misfortunes that have entered her family. Gilda's brother Kadyo (Pen Medina) is far more understanding as he has treated her sister and his adoptive nephew with love, almost equal to her three daughters. Because of several key events, Reynaldo is separated from the family and is again adopted by another family whose mean of livelihood are affected by the mixture of economic weather of the nation and the needs of the mother who is going blind. Kadyo, who although is strong in character has several lapses of insanity, sometimes falling into doing thievery for which he was jailed for several years. Upon release, he then searches for his long lost nephew.

Although the film's plot could've been encapsulated in 2 hours or less, the whole experience wouldn't be as effective. Lav Diaz here emulates Ozu as he populates the film with scenes of austere beauty where almost nothing happens. Five minute scenes of chickens idly chuckling around a provincial house or a farming family walking through the rice paddies are several. This in turn purposely drowns the viewers into a realistic connection with the family Diaz is tackling. These scenes also distill several scenes of melodramatic heights into reality creating a very un-Filipino Filipino film. Also, I've never seen a film that accurately presents the idle beauty and the eminent danger of the Philippine countryside. These peaceful shots of the Philippine countryside would often be disturbed by faraway gun blasts, a continuing reminder of the ongoing battles between government forces and the Communist rebels.

Another quite effective technique utilized by Diaz is the cross cutting of farmers relaxedly listening to radio dramas, which are very popular to the Filipino rural citizens as televisions would be too expensive, to the actual scenes of the radio drama voice actors recording those overdramatic radio melodramas. This technique, which provides for comedy to the otherwise serious piece, also creates that continuing connection of the rural farmlands to Metro Manila, where all the political happenings happen. That constant reminder of that connection is greatly needed in the film because aside from one newsreel of a provincial zoning (residents are put into one place, sometimes for days and weeks so that a crime can be solved: a human rights violation that is usually happened during the Marcos regime), the Marcos unjust regime has never evidently reached the farflung rice paddies of Puring's family. Lav Diaz also puts several real newsreels of actual happenings during the entire period of the film, from as I have said, those zoning episodes to the several farmer's riots during the Aquino administration right after Marcos was overthrown from the presidency. This provides an ample clue to what historical period the family is quietly reacting to. Especially because the film is non-linear, those newsreels provide for a sense of historical placing of the events as well as logical storytelling. Another interesting bit here is a staged interview with Lino Brocka, the Philippine film industry's most vocal anti-Marcos director whose films have entered the Cannes film festival and have presented realistic poverty and moral devaluation of the Filipinos during the oppressive regime. Here, Diaz teases the audience, who I assume would mostly be cineastes especially because of its running time, into relating to the level of oppression of the Marcos regime that not only affected the normal families but also the film industry, an especially important commodity to the Filipinos as compared to the nation's love for loud and emotional melodramas.

Evolution of a Filipino Family is nowhere a perfect film. The film's low budget roots are very evident. Lighting is sometimes unsufficient with several scenes completely undecipherable because it was shot at night, with only a candle for lighting or sometimes nothing at all. This creates an unbearable experience that because of well, evolution of our eyeballs to the lack of lighting, turns into an entirely new experience of actually feeling the farmers' actual experience of living in the dark. There are several anachronistic mistakes in the film, like vehicles and items evidently created during the 90's appearing suddenly. All these mistakes are merely nitpicking that cannot take away the power, and dry emotionality of Diaz's masterpiece. Evolution of a Filipino Family is undoubtedly a very very important film. Its magnitude compliments the film's topic's level of intimacy. This is clearly one of the year's best films and one of recent years' most important additions to world cinema. *****/*****
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2004 at 06:48 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 10:05 AM »
I just came from the Ebolusyon screening. I'm still digesting all 10+ hours of it.

My initial reaction though is that Diaz has a lot of balls for using a non-linear narrative approach and an Ozu-like film style for such a long movie.

I hope someone here can answer why some of the tapes were not readily on hand. There was a lot of "dead time" waiting for the tapes to arrive, especially after the fifth hour. Rene Villanueva walked out of the screening when he heard about this. Nalate ba yung lagarista? (joke)  :)

I came from the screening too (and a late dinner after, phew!).  Regarding some tapes being late... apparently, Lav had left for Croatia late last week, where Batang West Side acted as the opening film to a Human Rights Film Festival there.  Things were in order when he left, but some problems arose in the dubbing out process.  He came back a little bit earlier than expected (arrived around 1am Friday morning, morning of the screening), and immediately got to work on the film and the computer. Meaning... after a flight that lasted over 20 hours including the stopover, he came back, got working, and didn't sleep until after the premiere of the film was finished.

Mind you, one wishes thing were in order well in advance.  But either way, I'm just glad I got to attend this screening.  It was entirely surreal stepping out of the theater for the short breaks and seeing so many people, characters in the film, whose lives you were just immersed in, whose family you became a part of; sitting, smoking, ordering hot dogs and loitering around.  Amazing.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 05:20 PM »
24 year-old among those who survived a mpre than 10 hour movie screening!

24-old RMN was among those who lived to tell the story of the more than ten hour screening of Lav Diaz's film Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino held yesterday at the UP Cine Adarna . "It was unbelievable. I'm amazed that I actually sat through the whole thing. But I guess it help that I was with friends and the movie was totaly engrossing." RMN, who is currently on a vegetarian diet, subsisted only on his ration of fruits and veggies and mineral water. The screening, which started at around 11 am and came to end at past 10 pm, was beset by some delays because of some kinks in the dubbing out process which were still being fixed by the director as tapes were being rushed to UP from his Cubao home. "The delays ticked off a lot of the viewers.  Playright Rene Villanueva, I heard, walked out."

His thoughts on the movie? "Without a doubt, Ebolusyon is a landmark undertaking never before attempted by any local filmmaker. The story itself was interesting to begin with and I loved the radio drama element, with shots of an actual recording with voice talents. Check-out, too, the Hammie Sotto-Lino Brocka part played by Quark and Gino Dormiendo! And yeah, there's the archival news footage and homage to Juan Luna's Spolarium". RMN likes to point-out, however, that he also has misgivings. "I didn't appreciate Lav's use of long shots where the characters could barely be seen", he opines. "Same goes for his penchant for these "dead" scenes without the camera moving for a long period. Also, certain scenes were, well, too dark."

Among those also spotted at the screening were Ace and Vince, former Cinemanila volunteers; Keating, Indie Boi, and Reuven Malter of Pinoydvd; Eric and Joven of Titus; Bien Lumbera of The Manunuri; Victor Tejero of Graphic Magazine; Alexis Tioseco (commentary) and Khavn de la Cruz of Filmless Films. When asked if he is willing to go through the experience again, he had this to say: "While it was a truly a rare opportunity, I'll prolly never go through it again. You'd have to be some sort of a masochist to do it again."
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2004 at 01:29 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 06:37 PM »
The movie contains some of the best striking images and powerful visuals ever to appear in a local epic film but sadly dragged down mainly due to its long running time.

I still have mixed reactions to this Lav Diaz flick. Some of the scenes like what RMN said are too dark....and the radio drama element was good to insert some humor to the seriousness of the movie. Still I'm dying to see his BATANG WESTSIDE.

Although U.P. Film Institute was not SRO....I salute always the audience whenever I watch a film in this place....

Mr. Bienvenido Lumbera of the Manunuri was seated infront of us.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2004 at 06:42 PM by keating »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 11:29 PM »
as i told Indie and Keating, Lav Diaz cured me of my 'ridiculous' obssession with cinema...

...not!

give me 10 hours to digest the film too. so far, I can say that this was one cinematic experience I will remember with madness and fondness. viewing the film was as entertaining as seeing the brave people of the dark endure this opus. some were called and fewer even survived. it was also a test of one's creativity in staying awake with eyes wide open: yosi breaks, chicheria chomping, stretching exercises, cracking jokes, etc.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2004 at 05:57 PM »
I can see Gino as Lino (brilliant stroke of casting, I think), but Quark as Hammi? Has Quark lost a lot of weight or was Hammi plumper when he was young? Sabagay, he was diabetic...

Thanks for the comments, guys. Would welcome any more, forthcoming.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2004 at 07:20 PM »
Quark Henares was credible as the late Hammi Sotto. In fact I didn't notice that it was him after Reuven Malter told me. But then he still looks fat on the screen.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2004 at 10:56 PM »
Quark Henares was credible as the late Hammi Sotto. In fact I didn't notice that it was him after Reuven Malter told me. But then he still looks fat on the screen.

That's what I mean--Hammi when I knew him was thin as a rail. But I heard he lost a lot of weight from his diabetes.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 01:31 PM »
any guesstimate as to how many attended?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 02:11 PM »
any guesstimate as to how many attended?

I think we are only less than 30 RMN.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 03:57 PM »
Tickets sold I believe were a little more than 80.  But perhaps the number of people that finished the film would be hovering around 40 or so.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 02:15 AM »
I saw this movie only knowing about how long it would take. I was second-guessing what it was about based on the title. I only wanted to test how long I can endure sitting through a film... I was rewarded with even a better film experience, both of the film and its audience.

Ebolusyon..., although it centers around the domestic travails of a working-class family, is an epic film because these trials are chronicled using the Martial Law regime as a reference. The film is not told linearly. Indie commented that Lav Diaz may have done so to keep us glued to the movie since he employed an Ozu-style to narrate his story.

One must persevere until the last sequences (the last tape for the UP film audience) since a key scene helps understand the whole film. I am not sure if I'd be a spoiler by articulating it; so, to be safe, I'd rather not. This is also to help drum more interest for this groundbreaking film.

The evolution of a Filipino family may give us an idea how the whole country evolves. What transpires outside the home affects what does inside and vice versa. This was the same theme tackled by Dekada '70 but in Diaz' opus, more ambitious and sprawling. Martial Law served as a reference but it served as the most significant historical event that changed the course of the lives of the family portrayed in the film.

Growing up in the province and in a farm, Diaz really captured what it was like. Sometimes, the vastness of it all transfixes yet it may also enervate. Like what Fellini's I Vitelloni wanted to impart, a rustic life may drive you towards boredom but it also offers comfort and security. Puring's family didn't want to be involved in politics and government; yet, socio-politics keep on meddling with their lives with traumatic consequences.

If I discuss much longer, I might cross over towards politics. What I learned from this film and the experience is that: life goes on even if things do not go our way. Our sanity threatens to get itself lost when we do not hold on to this fact. It is inevitable that our ideas of peace, happiness may run counter against those of the government, society or even our own family. This dissonance must not dissuade us from enduring life's challenges. Being a person of integrity does not mean being staunchly defensive of our ideals, but to be flexible enough to reconsider if our ideals are not in accordance with reality and the Truth.

Life finds a way to right our wrongs. We cannot fight fate but we can work with it. Everything changes, nothing is permanent. But, we do not have to be a slave to life's evolution. If we are steadfast and summon up the courage, we may initiate the change.

Unlike most of the Brocka and Bernal wannabe's flicks, Diaz challenges us to go beyond our historical blunders. We must move on. Instead of wallowing in blaming someone or something, let us channel our energies in building our society. This begins in building ourselves. Like Pilosopong Tasyo, we must be as stubborn as the bamboo tree as it faces the storms of life. Our societal problems are nothing compared to that of other less developed countries, as most diplomats attest. Too often, we whine and complain about how bad things get; yet, we never lift a finger nor get our hands dirty to do something about our hang-ups.

Spending almost a day in the theater and musing about our society is enough. What can we DO next?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 02:42 PM »
Dormiendo on Lav:

" A good filmmaker must be able to tell a story within the span of 2-3 hours; anymore than that, you have a problem...He should respect his audience. Not everyone is willing to watch a 10 hour film and I other things to do than to just watch movies!"
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2005 at 12:50 PM by RMN »