Author Topic: Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League
« on: May 19, 2018 at 03:50 AM »
MPBL is slowly gaining grounds. After the inaugural season, the league is now at 24 teams if I'm not mistaken. The likes of Pasig, Manila, San Juan, Marikina and some provincial teams have joined. I am following the MPBL FB page and articles have indicated several former PBA players are set to play again in this league. Certainly not of the superstar status but some of these players used to be really good in college. Reihl Cervantes, Joseph Yeo, Roger Yap, heck even Jojo Tangkay will play again. According to the FB page, Paras brothers will play in one Team while Prince Rivero is also in the line up of another team. Leo Najorda, Reed Juntilla will be playing as well. Gerald Anderson is alos in the line up of Marikina. I don't know if there is anything wrong with me but I am more excited with this league than the PBA. I have lost interest in the league that seems to just favor one Team or two.

Anyone else watching MPBL?
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 357
Re: Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018 at 07:36 AM »
Any grassroots, regional-based league is always good ........ like I always say on the hoops threads, basketball is one sport where an IMMENSE number of local talent is guaranteed.

However, the MPBL should follow the lessons learned from the old MBA.

The MBA got killed because it did not set the right rules when it came to ownership, costs, salaries, parity, etc ......... imagine, Vince Hizon receiving a monthly salary of 700k-800k/month (and he wasn't event the best player on his team).

Eh paano pa ang mga loaded metro teams like M.Manila?

Pati ABS-CBN hindi na kinaya ang lumalaking gastos kaya kumalas.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018 at 07:49 AM »
^dami nga daw naging utang ng MBA.   
ninjababez online ..

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018 at 07:58 AM »
May strict rules ang mpbl re fil foreign players.  only 1 fil foreign players per team. And the rules on describing fil foreign itself is strict.  Ex bobby ray parks jr is considered fil foreign.  Basta if 1 of your parents are not filipino citizen when you were born, youre considered fil-foreign... dapat talaga both parents are filipino when you are born.  Actually inaappeal to ni parks, but i dont think uubra appeal nya. Rules are rules.  Bawal rin dito naturalized foreinger.

Yes mpbl is interesting league and para syang mba v2.. i believe the founders of this league has learned from the mistakes of mba. They will probably monitor the salary cap strictly.  And maganda dito, its a semi commercial league (team co ownership) with location/regional ties, so andun parin ang pride of each team when they play home court.  Win win kumbaga.

Salary base is really controlled... ( think of this as a better d league) ..i think malabo lumipat dito mga major players mg pba.. which was the mistake of mba when they first launched..( they wanted to compete with pba head to head, so they offered big salaries directly to the players just to play in this league)... now i see the league actually not afraid to have its own identity and market.. which is good.

Mas masarap intensity ng mga laro dito..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018 at 08:10 AM »
....... They will probably monitor the salary cap strictly. 

....... Mas masarap intensity ng mga laro dito..

Monitoring/enforcing salary caps has looooooong been a joke with Pinoy basketball, both professional and amateur (collegiate).

Basta may pulitiko or malaking korporasyon na sumawsaw, tiyak unti-unti yang guguho.

I'm very doubtful, pero sana nga tumagal itong MPBL.

On the flipside, walang duda na mas exciting ang mga laro dito ........... it's a combination of homecourt (something the PBA will never have), unheralded players, unheralded coaches, larong buko, etc.

Anyone here remembers how crazy those old MBA games were .......... panalo di ba.

Offline Tha_Mann

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018 at 08:12 AM »
May strict rules ang mpbl re fil foreign players.  only 1 fil foreign players per team. And the rules on describing fil foreign itself is strict.  Ex bobby ray parks jr is considered fil foreign.  Basta if 1 of your parents are not filipino citizen when you were born, youre considered fil-foreign... dapat talaga both parents are filipino when you are born.  Actually inaappeal to ni parks, but i dont think uubra appeal nya. Rules are rules.  Bawal rin dito naturalized foreinger.

I was about to ask regarding fil-foreign players, buti nabanggit mo na. This is a good rule. I stopped watching the PBA kasi nainis na ako with the influx of fil-foreign players, parang nawalan na ng opportunity yung mga home grown players natin. masyado na naging commercialized at parang nawala na yung filipino pride.

sana nga itong Maharlika eh mag succeed. masarap kasi yung feeling nung nanunuod ka ng basketball na parang nasa barangay ang atmosphere hehe.

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018 at 08:37 AM »
Monitoring/enforcing salary caps has looooooong been a joke with Pinoy basketball, both professional and amateur (collegiate).

Basta may pulitiko or malaking korporasyon na sumawsaw, tiyak unti-unti yang guguho.

I'm very doubtful, pero sana nga tumagal itong MPBL.

On the flipside, walang duda na mas exciting ang mga laro dito ........... it's a combination of homecourt (something the PBA will never have), unheralded players, unheralded coaches, larong buko, etc.

Anyone here remembers how crazy those old MBA games were .......... panalo di ba.

I know salary issue is a joke.. daming bonus, taya, on the side, etc.. but at least you leave it to the team owners to worry about it. Yan ang mali ni abscbn sa mba.. they subsidized most of the salaries of the major players just to get them to stick around. Ayun.. in the end.. bagsak.

Actually, dami na ata g pulitiko imvolved here... as for the corps.. meron narin...you really need money to get these players...

But then again, andito yung regional pride.. so if ever baka mag progress to ala pba but with regional aspects.

Of course andyan rin yung risk ng mga players na nagbebenta ng laro..

But its hella fun to watch!

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018 at 12:31 PM »
Any grassroots, regional-based league is always good ........ like I always say on the hoops threads, basketball is one sport where an IMMENSE number of local talent is guaranteed.

However, the MPBL should follow the lessons learned from the old MBA.

The MBA got killed because it did not set the right rules when it came to ownership, costs, salaries, parity, etc ......... imagine, Vince Hizon receiving a monthly salary of 700k-800k/month (and he wasn't event the best player on his team).

Eh paano pa ang mga loaded metro teams like M.Manila?

Pati ABS-CBN hindi na kinaya ang lumalaking gastos kaya kumalas.
i was hoping di maging tulad ng MBA. though posible ding mag ka ganyan.Imagine Rayray Parks playing? Tatanggap kaya ng barya yun? nakatuwang manuod ng punung puno yung venue

Sent from my F3216 using Tapatalk

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018 at 12:37 PM »
im also excited to see yung mga ex pba players na magagaling naman di nga lang nabigyan ng break sa pba or sadyang di nakapag perform dun. inaabangan ko din yung mga player na di umabot sa malalaking liga pero mahusay mag laro.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM »
Write up about the new players

http://www.foxsports.ph/basketball/mpbl/858024/mpbl-new-key-players-will-click-together/

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018 at 01:25 PM »
i was hoping di maging tulad ng MBA. though posible ding mag ka ganyan.Imagine Rayray Parks playing? Tatanggap kaya ng barya yun? nakatuwang manuod ng punung puno yung venue

Yup gusto ni rayray parks maglaro.. pero yung team na paglalaruan nya, may fil foreigner na ata... thats why he wants to appeal his case.. pinoy naman daw sya...naglalaro nga sa phil team.. 

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018 at 09:53 PM »
After reading about the filams, parang nawalan nako ng gana.. i only liked it because its all local players nung inaugural season , parang may inter barangay vibe na commercialized. di na sila natuto sa pba.. 
The Pats way...

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018 at 10:02 PM »
Write up about the new players

http://www.foxsports.ph/basketball/mpbl/858024/mpbl-new-key-players-will-click-together/

makakapaglaro kaya si Cardona eh nakakulong yun diba? payagan kaya siya maglaro kung makapag piyansa?

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018 at 07:59 AM »
same topic :

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,216760.0.html
I suggest we merge it with the other thread.

Btw, what's wrong with Fil-Ams? This ridiculous MPBL rule seems like, to me, a double standard reeking of racism and xenophobia. For instance, why is Gerald Anderson NOT considered a Fil-Am while Rayray Parks is?

If we have an international celebrity even remotely filipino, we shout "#PinoyPride" to the high heavens. But when it comes to coming to our country and making a name for themselves here, we say F you, we would rather let the local talent get a break.

Trust me, if the local talent can't shine with Fil-Ams around, then it doesn't deserve to be on professional sports.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018 at 08:14 AM »

Btw, what's wrong with Fil-Ams? This ridiculous MPBL rule seems like, to me, a double standard reeking of racism and xenophobia. For instance, why is Gerald Anderson NOT considered a Fil-Am while Rayray Parks is?

If we have an international celebrity even remotely filipino, we shout "#PinoyPride" to the high heavens. But when it comes to coming to our country and making a name for themselves here, we say F you, we would rather let the local talent get a break.

Trust me, if the local talent can't shine with Fil-Ams around, then it doesn't deserve to be on professional sports.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I think they will classify gerald anderson  a fil foreigner player.  Kaya sya yung 1 fil foreign player of the team he will play with.

I think nothing is wrong with fil foreign players.. they just want to limit their entry.. They dont want it kike the pba of the 2000s when there were tons of fil ams, and affected ang locals.. true that filam raises the game of some local players, but not all... besides, sa sobrang dali kumuha/gumawa ng fake na papel dito sa pinas... mahirap na..  remember sonny alvarado, rob parker etc? Even upto this day i still have my doubts on asi taulava.

I think its their way of saying... they aknowlege the fil foreign players, but the focus is still on local talents.

I personally see nothing wrong with their rules.. its their league, therefore their rules... sana lang nga walang double standard.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018 at 08:54 AM »

I'm not yet fully familiar with the MPBL rules on Fil-Ams, foreigners, etc ......... it does sound a bit lean & contradictory even.

But in general, IMO there should be a limit to Fil-Ams on local pro & amateur basketball leagues.

Best example, years ago the PBA instituted the 5-per team rule. This was just about the sweet spot, since it weeded out those less-talented Fil-Ams, Fil-Shams and ensured that only those standouts got in rosters.

In a way, it also helped some teams from shooting themselves. If Tim Cone had it his way, his past teams would be 90% Fil-Ams ....... and there was a LOT of Fil-Am duds then. Some duds, you can see a mile away.

Ex. Tim Cone drafting Migs Noble (over Ritualo, Avenido, Tolomia, etc) ........ Tim Cone trading Duremdes for the draft rights to Brandon Cablay.

Perry Ronquillo drafting Mike Hrabak (over Caguioa, R.Yap, etc) even if no one has ever seen him play, Ronquillo included. WTF.

There's absolutely no shortage of local talent in any city, any barangay in the country, hence my rants against imports playing in collegiate leagues.

As for Fil-Ams, they should be allowed to play. but realistic & fair limit be put in place.

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018 at 09:10 AM by Waxx »

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018 at 09:22 AM »
For me, for every fil am sa line up, thats 1 less opportunity for local.. pba is not gaining new fans, mpbl is.. they started strong why change.. i know some will disagree, just my 2c..
The Pats way...

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018 at 09:24 AM »
For me, for every fil am sa line up, thats 1 less opportunity for local.. pba is not gaining new fans, mpbl is.. they started strong why change.. i know some will disagree, just my 2c..

Gawa nalang ng bagong league.. fil foreign league..baka magka following rin.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018 at 10:09 AM »
http://www.foxsports.ph/basketball/mpbl/857289/understanding-mpbls-fil-foreigner-issue/

No surprise since si duremdes was one of the anti fil am players back the. Sa pba.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/05/17/18/mpbl-team-officials-react-to-league-ruling-on-fil-foreign-players

To be fair to Duremdes, it was a different time, different conditions, back when he and a few other protested during their PBA days ........ Fil-Shams ang kinakalaban noon.

But now, it appears that Duremdes needs to be fair in his classification rules ........ parang may nabasa pa ako na mayroong 6'4" height limit for Fil-Ams, Fil-Foreigners ?!! C'mon, this thinking is too defeatist and unrealistic.

I read somewhere that MPBL teams are now at 20++ .......... siguro, pwede na ang 2 or 3 per team na Fil-Ams (classitifications be made fair) ......... absolutely no IMPORTS please.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018 at 10:26 AM »
An honest question, ano ba talaga ang kategorya ni rayray parks? Di ba dito pinanganak yun at dito din lumaki at nag aral?
Di ba sya Filipino citizen?

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018 at 10:43 AM »
An honest question, ano ba talaga ang kategorya ni rayray parks? Di ba dito pinanganak yun at dito din lumaki at nag aral?
Di ba sya Filipino citizen?

Filipino citizen sya.. has ph passport.. even plays for ph team.

Ang rules ata ni duremdes, dapat both parents are filipino citizens at the time of birth. If 1 is foreigner, automatic fil foreign ka.

Doesnt matter if youre born here.. or born abroad, basta important parents mo both pinoy citizen upon your birth.

Ex, kunwari may dalawang magasawa na foreigner, tapos nag apply for filipino citizenship and na approve, tapos nag tour sa usa and nagkataon dun pinanganak anak nila and naging automatic green card holder anak nila... pinoy parin yan and pwede maglaro sa mpbl.

Yan ang intindi ko sa rules..

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1202
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018 at 11:17 AM »
^yun kasi ang problem.  Under Phil laws, Parks is a natural born citizen.

So under his rules, does that mean guys like Castro or Abueva or even Pingris may be classified as Fil-Fors?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM by jjjeronimo »

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018 at 11:33 AM »
dapat siguro basehan dapat full blooded pinoy pareho
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM »
^yun kasi ang problem.  Under Phil laws, Parks is a natural born citizen.

So under his rules, does that mean guys like Castro or Abueva or even Pingris may be classified as Fil-Fors?

im not familiar with abueva, ping, and players ng pba now.. but if one of their parents are not pinoy at the time of their bith.. then yes theyre filfor..

again since this is a semi pro league, they can have their own rulings...  wala naman yan kinaiba sa age 50 and above league, age 40 and above league wherein they have their own ruleset..

maybe in the future they will adjust their rules to fil foreigners if there is already a need.. for now i think they can afford to enforce their own rules kasi nga they have the following and target market.

sasabihin lang siguro nila, kung ayaw nyo sa amin kasi limited fil foreign players, e di sa pba kayo manood.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018 at 01:03 PM »
I'm not sure why everyone wants to bring back the 80's and 90's of pinoy basketball (import height limits, no fil-foreigners, no foreign coaches, etc). Everyone has fond memories of it (me included) but the sad fact is that this was the era when Philippine basketball DECLINED internationally.

At a time when basketball leagues all over the world have far more global/relaxed roster prerequisites (see Europe, Middle-east leagues, and even communist China), we still want to stand by on our "full-blooded pinoys" only rule. And this height limit crap (6'4"??) is laughable even by high school and college basketball standards.

We may want to note that "full-blooded pinoys" genetically do not exist and are merely offshoots of legal technicalities. If we wanted it that way, we would not have seen players like Robert Jaworski and Ricardo Brown play.

Duremdes needs to move forward. We are not in 1995 anymore.

And btw, if someone challenges this MPBL policy at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, this league will get publicity it won't need. Besides, the CAS has ruled on cases like this many times and the results have always favored the player, not the league.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018 at 01:07 PM by Verbl Kint »

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018 at 01:09 PM »
I'm not sure why everyone wants to bring back the 80's and 90's of pinoy basketball (import height limits, no fil-foreigners, no foreign coaches, etc). Everyone has fond memories of it (me included) but the sad fact is that this was the era when Philippine basketball DECLINED internationally.

At a time when basketball leagues all over the world have far more global/relaxed roster prerequisites (see Europe, Middle-east leagues, and even communist China), we still want to stand by on our "full-blooded pinoys" only rule. And this height limit crap (6'4"??) is laughable even by high school and college basketball standards.

We may want to note that "full-blooded pinoys" genetically do not exist and are merely offshoots of legal technicalities. If we wanted it that way, we would not have seen players like Robert Jaworski and Ricardo Brown play.

Duremdes needs to move forward. We are not in 1995 anymore.

And btw, if someone challenges this MPBL policy at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, this league will get publicity it won't need. Besides, the CAS has ruled on cases like this many times and the results have always favored the player, not the league.

Might be OT.. but yep agree. even Tab Baldwin observes the following:-

Tab Baldwin believes local basketball coaching has become “relatively insular,” and when coaches search outside of the country to learn more about the game, they go Stateside instead of Europe.

Without trying to be too negative, I think that it’s somewhat immature. I think part of the reason that is is that I think the Philippines has cloistered itself in basketball terms,” Baldwin explained.

“You know, it had a period in the ’90s and early 2000s where it was outside of international basketball. You can go back in history and it was very involved in international basketball. It had a great reputation. But then what happened in the ’80s, ’90s, early 2000s is we became very insular and even in the PBA it’s not a league that brings in foreign coaches often . . .

“We’re relatively insular compared to other nations, and I think what that means is we don’t get the stimulus of knowledge or information and when we do look outside, where do we look? We look to the US, we look to the NBA, which is not really a reservoir of basketball knowledge.”

Baldwin added: “The NBA is dominated by talent, Europe is dominated by wisdom in basketball. So I think if you want to advance your intellect within the game, my advice is to look to you Europe, and that’s what I try to do.”

http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/05/22/18/basketball-ateneo-coach-tab-baldwin-shares-his-thoughts-on-ph-coaching

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1202
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018 at 01:42 PM »
Mahirap ang position ni Duremdes right now.  I believe all he wants is to establish balance in the league, but from the looks of it, he's
 just making up rules as he goes.   E.g. that height limit on fil-fors is idiotic, considering that even "pure" Pinoys nowadays are getting taller.  Probably he should go back to the stakeholders and team owners and seek their help on which rules would be more effective.

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018 at 01:52 PM »
Mahirap ang position ni Duremdes right now.  I believe all he wants is to establish balance in the league, but from the looks of it, he's
 just making up rules as he goes.   E.g. that height limit on fil-fors is idiotic, considering that even "pure" Pinoys nowadays are getting taller.  Probably he should go back to the stakeholders and team owners and seek their help on which rules would be more effective.

yung limit sa filfor naman na 6'4 ay siguro para lang mabawasan yung reliance ng mga team sa filfor para manalo,or discourage nila yung mga team na umasa sa filfor since grass root program nga yung league nila at gusto mabigyan ng chance na makapaglaro yung hindi pinalad sa PBA. kung pure pinoy naman wala naman atang height limit. for me since bago pa lang yung liga, Ill give them few more season to fine tune their rules and regulation but I like their vision of giving chance to those athlete that didnot have enough "luck" in PBA. and masaya manood ng laban na merong home team, iba yung atmosphere pag sa bahay mo naglalaro or dayo lang hehehehehe.