Author Topic: Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League  (Read 8184 times)

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
Re: Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018 at 04:01 PM »
26 teams next season.. expect dadami pa yan as election season approaches... extra mileage rin yan..

then after 2019.. babagsak uli ang teams maybe 12 to 15max

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018 at 04:54 PM »
i think duremdes should review the philippine constitution. i assume that he attended his classes in college. as far as i can remember, ph constitution was part of the college curriculum, regardless of the course, during his time. part of article iv, section 1 says, the following are citizens of the philippines ... Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines;

further, a filipino citizen who marries an alien retains his or her filipino citizenship unless renounced.

from what i understand parks's mother was a filipino when he was born. parks is thus a natural born filipino, who is entitled to all rights due to filipinos. [unless parks renounced his filipino citizenship]

duremdes's act for me is no different from some catholic schools that deny enrollment to children whose parents aren't married in church--punishing a child for something he or she had no control of.

not a fan of parks. not even a basketball fan anymore, though i do read the results of the games.
peace man!

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018 at 05:14 PM »
I won't be surprised if somehow Pacquiao (and his alipores) was the cause of all these nonsense rules.   ;D

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1202
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018 at 05:23 PM »
i think duremdes should review the philippine constitution. i assume that he attended his classes in college. as far as i can remember, ph constitution was part of the college curriculum, regardless of the course, during his time. part of article iv, section 1 says, the following are citizens of the philippines ... Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines;

further, a filipino citizen who marries an alien retains his or her filipino citizenship unless renounced.

from what i understand parks's mother was a filipino when he was born. parks is thus a natural born filipino, who is entitled to all rights due to filipinos. [unless parks renounced his filipino citizenship]

duremdes's act for me is no different from some catholic schools that deny enrollment to children whose parents aren't married in church--punishing a child for something he or she had no control of.

not a fan of parks. not even a basketball fan anymore, though i do read the results of the games.

Like I said, it seems he's after league balance, something na nawawala na sa PBA.  His heart is in the right place, but he has to work on the mechanics.

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018 at 05:25 PM »
I won't be surprised if somehow Pacquiao (and his alipores) was the cause of all these nonsense rules.   ;D

pac is a senator, right?
peace man!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018 at 05:27 PM »

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018 at 09:03 PM »
again its not about legality issues.. legally, parks is a filipino citizen. sa league technical rules sya na classify as filam. basically yan yung rules na gusto ng league kaya wala talagang magawa..

di naman yan naiba sa mba nun, nung 8 seconds to cross the halfcourt and the 3pt dunk..

simply said, its their league, so its their rules.

i agree the 6ft4 rule is a bit silly.. but then again.. its their league.. their rules

Offline Tha_Mann

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018 at 07:45 AM »
I'm not sure why everyone wants to bring back the 80's and 90's of pinoy basketball (import height limits, no fil-foreigners, no foreign coaches, etc). Everyone has fond memories of it (me included) but the sad fact is that this was the era when Philippine basketball DECLINED internationally.

IMO, Philippine basketball declined because we tried to imitate the NBA too much. we ditched the international/amateur rules in favor of NBA rules. we relied too much on one on one moves, forgot about the zone, did not develop our shooters (which is very much needed to break the zone), etc. ok lang naman fil-for as they will elevate our level of play and forced our local players to play harder.

saka sabi naman ng Maharlika eh they will not compete with PBA (I think as of now), and I think their objective is to have that kind of league na parang larong barangay but on a much higher level. and maybe discover some talents that will help our national team.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018 at 08:11 AM »
IMO, Philippine basketball declined because we tried to imitate the NBA too much. we ditched the international/amateur rules in favor of NBA rules. we relied too much on one on one moves, forgot about the zone, did not develop our shooters (which is very much needed to break the zone), etc. ok lang naman fil-for as they will elevate our level of play and forced our local players to play harder.

saka sabi naman ng Maharlika eh they will not compete with PBA (I think as of now), and I think their objective is to have that kind of league na parang larong barangay but on a much higher level. and maybe discover some talents that will help our national team.

Philippine hoops (pro, amateur, playground, etc) in general, has always patterned itself with the NBA-style of play ........ IMO it's more that we stayed stagnant while the rest of Asia developed their own (national team) programs and stuck with it.

Double-edged sword ang PBA ........ it's the face of Pinoy basketball, pero siya din ang isang malaking hadlang sa pag-develop nang international game natin.

Have to disagree a bit about developing shooters ......... IMO the real-ones are 'born' with it, starting really young.

It was only during Toroman that he purposely got wings who have decent shooting forms and have them shoot - mga converted shooters .......... Baracael, Ababou, Ramos, etc.

Bihirang-bihira na ang dead-shot .......... Caidic is hands-down the best we ever had.

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018 at 09:09 AM »
Yes.
<lips sealed>

Bihirang-bihira na ang dead-shot .......... Caidic is hands-down the best we ever had.

well, the late jun papa and jimmy mariano, among others were dead shots.

as for outside shooters getting rare, i can't help but feel that some don't bother to develop it because a jump shot rarely makes it to the play of the day or highlight reel.
peace man!

Offline Tha_Mann

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018 at 09:56 AM »

Have to disagree a bit about developing shooters ......... IMO the real-ones are 'born' with it, starting really young.

It was only during Toroman that he purposely got wings who have decent shooting forms and have them shoot - mga converted shooters .......... Baracael, Ababou, Ramos, etc.

agree that shooters are born with it. but there are some players that have potential that we just need to develop. why not hire Chip Engelland or someone like him. kung si Ricky Rubio nga ngayon eh laki ng improvement sa shooting, when he came to the league eh he can't make a jumpshot to save his life.

Caidic-type of player is a once in a lifetime player. parang wala pa ako nakita ngayon or after he retired that comes close to being a dead-shot like him.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018 at 09:58 AM »

as for outside shooters getting rare, i can't help but feel that some don't bother to develop it because a jump shot rarely makes it to the play of the day or highlight reel.

Yes, shooting doesn't usually make the highlight reels ......... outside of the Splash Bros these past few years.

Larong barangay pa lang kitang-kita na .......... halos lahat, shooting guard ang laro, gusto fastbreak at lay-up ang gawin.

Kapag may maka consecutive outside jumpers, madidinig mo na diyan "shooter yun, dikitan niyo na".

Like I said, it was Toroman who first attempted to put some Euro-style play with GILAS by developing/converting some wings into shooters ......... Baracael, Ababou, Ramos, etc.

Back to the MPBL ........ let's hope Duremdes and company, get their rules together real quick.

Parang gusto ko mag-buo nang team at sumali ........ Cubao Snatchers

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018 at 11:28 AM »

again its not about legality issues.. legally, parks is a filipino citizen. sa league technical rules sya na classify as filam. basically yan yung rules na gusto ng league kaya wala talagang magawa..

It's not necessarily a technical rule regarding the league or the sport of basketball. It's essentially a rule potentially preventing employment of qualified Filipino citizens.

They can't make up their own citizenship rules which supersede that of the citizenship laws of the country. They can't re-classify Parks' citizenship based on a rule which essentially infringes on his rights as a Filipino citizen just because he is half-black half-Filipino.

The MPBL, at the end of the day, is a business operating on Philippine soil so it must adhere to the laws of the land, including the laws regarding citizenship.

I'm not a lawyer so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018 at 11:32 AM »
Like I said, it seems he's after league balance, something na nawawala na sa PBA.  His heart is in the right place, but he has to work on the mechanics.
If he wants parity and equity in the league, he can start by not allowing San Miguel and PLDT to get a foothold in it. ;D

These ridiculous rules in the PBA did not end up with a balanced league so what makes him think that it will work in the MPBL?

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM »

It's not necessarily a technical rule regarding the league or the sport of basketball. It's essentially a rule potentially preventing employment of qualified Filipino citizens.

They can't make up their own citizenship rules which supersede that of the citizenship laws of the country. They can't re-classify Parks' citizenship based on a rule which essentially infringes on his rights as a Filipino citizen just because he is half-black half-Filipino.

The MPBL, at the end of the day, is a business operating on Philippine soil so it must adhere to the laws of the land, including the laws regarding citizenship.

I'm not a lawyer so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

i read somewhere that they classify themselves as a small semi pro league ata.. and that being their argument, di daw sila under ng SBP, or PSC or any governing body? so hence they can play around with their own rules..

and maybe their argument is, the team can employ parks naman... but he cant play unless he is the sole fil-foreigner in that team.  he can be part of the coaching staff or whatever..

which makes me think.. paano yung mga small commercial league?? are they also governed by a governing body?

but then again.. here's the news...

http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/05/23/18/mpbl-ray-parks-sigurado-na-sa-mandaluyong-el-tigre

ang in question ata now is the other fil-foreigner na kampi ni parks..

here are more writeups on the supposed rule they are trying to uphold.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/commissioner-kenneth-duremdes-open-to-controversial-mpbl-fil-foreign-rule-in-future-seasons
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018 at 11:51 AM by Waxx »

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM »
If he wants parity and equity in the league, he can start by not allowing San Miguel and PLDT to get a foothold in it. ;D

These ridiculous rules in the PBA did not end up with a balanced league so what makes him think that it will work in the MPBL?

I'm the biggest PBA critic out there .......... but in fairness to the PBA, the 5-Fil-Am per team rule, did prove to be effective and stymied the influx of less-talented, yet much hyped Fil-Ams.

It also forced some teams to let go of their aging, yet still serviceable, Fil-Ams .......... of course, there's always a way to "go-around" these rules as SMCorp had farm-teams (AIR21, BARAKO, GLOBALPORT, etc) where they can stash picks, Fil-Ams, etc. 

What clearly sunk the PBA boat are the unfair, unethical, illegal practices of both SMCorp & MVP teams ......... these covered salary cap violations, draft picks hoarding, maintaining farm teams, unfair trades, etc.

Duremdes' heart seems to be the in the right place, but his rules and restrictions are just too primitive and way-off.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018 at 02:33 PM »

I'm the biggest PBA critic out there .......... but in fairness to the PBA, the 5-Fil-Am per team rule, did prove to be effective and stymied the influx of less-talented, yet much hyped Fil-Ams.

I would disagree on this one.

At the end of the day, it wasn't the policy which prevented low-tier fil-ams to come in, but rather the performance of a lot of Fil-Am busts who got picked in many 1st round PBA rookie drafts. Do you guys remember Kelani Ferreria, Denver Lopez, Migs Noble, and many others?

The policy which DID prevent low-level fil-for talent from making the PBA Draft is the requirement to have college basketball or D-League experience prior to joining the PBA.

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018 at 04:43 PM »
maybe next time the pba will also have a draft combine workout patterned like nba.

anyways.. hope mpbl and pba capture back the interest of thr pinous to local hoops

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018 at 06:18 PM »

I would disagree on this one.

At the end of the day, it wasn't the policy which prevented low-tier fil-ams to come in, but rather the performance of a lot of Fil-Am busts who got picked in many 1st round PBA rookie drafts. Do you guys remember Kelani Ferreria, Denver Lopez, Migs Noble, and many others?

The policy which DID prevent low-level fil-for talent from making the PBA Draft is the requirement to have college basketball or D-League experience prior to joining the PBA.

Of course, performance is always a factor .......... I do remember those names and how they played, particularly Migs Noble whom I mentioned in an earlier post in the thread.

Let's just say that if there wasn't this 5-FilAm rule, coaches like Tim Cone would stock his teams with Fil-Ams to the high heavens and won't care if Duremdes & Marlou Aquino protested.

This 5-FilAm rule basically made SMCorp teams optimize on the 5 Fil-Ams to retain.

Of course, SMCorp teams have other means to 'cheat' the league ........ but this 5 Fil-Am rule was a step in the right direction.

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018 at 06:53 PM »
si parks part yan ng fil am na di makapasok sa pba?

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018 at 09:38 PM »
si parks part yan ng fil am na di makapasok sa pba?

Parks is eligible, just didn't make himself available for the last PBA draft.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018 at 10:35 PM »
yung haba ng laro di ba sobra haba? Parang 11 months ata mas mahaba pa sa NBA?

Sent from my F3216 using Tapatalk

SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 12, 2018 at 09:55 PM »
opening day ng MPBL.magaling maglaro yung Sazon ng Marikina. Si Gerald Anderson nasa bench pero di naman nag laro.

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 12, 2018 at 10:07 PM »
opening day ng MPBL.magaling maglaro yung Sazon ng Marikina. Si Gerald Anderson nasa bench pero di naman nag laro.

May hamstring injury daw si GA... mahusay yung masaglang ng gensan..

May second game si rayray parks.. and bong go.. hahahaha

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 12, 2018 at 10:10 PM »
Magaling nga parang yung player ng Magnolia si Jun Simon
May hamstring injury daw si GA... mahusay yung masaglang ng gensan..

May second game si rayray parks.. and bong go.. hahahaha

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 12, 2018 at 10:12 PM »
Parang mas masarap nga manood nito... lakas ng puso

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #56 on: Jun 12, 2018 at 11:35 PM »
Parang mas masarap nga manood nito... lakas ng puso

Wasn't able to watch the game but its entertaining di ba.. local vibe.. i heard f2  logistics is supporting paranaque team.. once they establish ruling on transfer of players, contracts, and eventually draft, kabahan na pba..
The Pats way...

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 13, 2018 at 12:07 AM »
12 MN di pa din tapos laban ng Muntinlupa at Manda.Ang gagaling ng player ng Munti tindi nung Moralde, Mangahas at Jaime

Si Parks parang primadonna maglaro pa ekek na feeling sya ang pinaka magaling sa MPBL.

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018 at 12:15 AM by Onkyo606 »

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 13, 2018 at 12:11 AM »
Kala ko ako lang nakapansin kay parks... parang angas diba? Pero baka ganun talaga itsura nya pag naglalaro?

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 13, 2018 at 12:18 AM »
Kala ko ako lang nakapansin kay parks... parang angas diba? Pero baka ganun talaga itsura nya pag naglalaro?
hindi ganyan.napapanuod ko sya sa ABL eh. yung itsura at galaw nya parang sinasabi sa kalaban di ko kayo ka level. Parang yung varsity player na ginawang import sa inter baranggay kung maka asta