Author Topic: Ang Panahon ng Halimaw (Season of the Devil)  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Ang Panahon ng Halimaw (Season of the Devil)
« on: Jun 02, 2018 at 11:31 PM »
Season of the Devil (Lav Diaz) ***1/2 - It's 1979, during the Marcos Martial Law years. A poet's wife who's a village doctor gets kidnapped by the corrupt military who's supporting a corrupt demagogue. This is the latest from director Lav Diaz and it's four hours long. If you know Lav Diaz, that's actually kind of short for him. It is very much a politically charged...MUSICAL. Yes, musical. There's barely any spoken dialogue in this film. Pratically, every line is either a song, a poem, some sort of rap or talk-sing....and it's all A CAPELLA. Yes, the characters not only break into song and sing live, they do it without music. It's a wild exercise, even for an experimental filmmaker like Diaz. You either open yourself up to it or you check out immediately. I was largely into it. It's not my favorite from him but it's still an extraordinary piece of work that may test your patience especially if you're not used to his style. It features beautiful black & white cinematography and some great performances that produce some great moments. A huge chunk of the audience (mostly seniors who got in for free) left after an hour or so. It's definitely not for Diaz beginners.

Online 99khantwin

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Apprentice
  • Fill Your Head with JAZZ!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Ang Panahon ng Halimaw (Season of the Devil)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2018 at 02:24 PM »
I saw this film end of May. I sat through it without any restroom breaks! I give it a thumbs up. I actually just stumbled upon this post. There are close to 200 views yet not a single reply for or against the film. Strange.  ???

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Ang Panahon ng Halimaw (Season of the Devil)
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2018 at 03:53 PM »