Author Topic: Recommend Bookshelf For Height Speakers Atmos Less Thank 7k  (Read 914 times)

Offline popejerico

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
As the topic would say, I am looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers to pair with my existing 5.1 driven by an Onkyo TX-NR686 for the 5.1.2 Atmos setup.  Budget meal lang sana.  Also mas ok po ba ang front height kesa rear height for such setup?  TIA :-)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Recommend Bookshelf For Height Speakers Atmos Less Thank 7k
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2018 at 07:57 AM »
First floorstanders, now bookshelf speakers for atmos? Why not get proper ceiling speakers? It will probably take you the same amount of effort, time and money to mount BS in the proper locations as it would with ceiling speakers.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline popejerico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2018 at 03:54 PM »
I asked for floor standers because that's all I had and knowing that it was weird in the first place. However, with everyone's help including yourself, I opted out. Now based on the 1 of the 2 alternatives suggested by members here, youtube vids and international forums, bookshelves can be used for front heights for ATMOS.  I prefer that route because not only my ceiling cannot accommodate floor standers the shape of it will note be able to handle in-ceiling speakers (masyadong maliit ang space in between wala pang isang dipa).   Unless the space between the in-ceiling is acceptable baka pwede po yung in-ceiling as per your suggestion.

Pero tama po kayo sabi nga dun sa isang forum:

I feel that if properly positioned in-ceiling speakers give you 100% of the experience, well positioned height speakers will give you 90-95%, as opposed to the 70-75% of the best possible scenario upfiring speakers.

Thanks sir markcrenz. :-)

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2018 at 06:58 PM »
Agree ako kay markcrenz. In-ceiling speakers na gamitin mo. Meron sa lazada na Polk audio 4,300 pesos per speaker if this will be in your budget. Meron din ang Dai-ichi na in-ceiling speakers, siguradong mas mura kesa Polk. Not sure kung bukas pa yung store nila sa Megamall.

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2018 at 07:49 PM »
in-ceiling is the best ATMOS implementation.  if I only could make holes out my ceiling, I would have gone in that direction.

I tried front height and top middle (via bookshelf wall-mount/ceiling mount).  I liked the top middle setting, personally...  the speaker is right over my head in the listening position -- 1.5meters wide apart.  they are in-line with my front floorstanders.

once you get your Atmos bookshelves, try it first with front heights.  mount it up about 1meter (3feeet) or so right above your front floorstander.  feel it first before trying other options like top middle and rear heights.

1 observation is ATMOS data are not consistently present in the movie.  it's scene-based and sometimes not very loud.  so set the height channel volume at least +6 over your front channel volume settings.

play around your settings/configuration until near-satisfaction is achieved.  =))  good luck, sir...

Offline popejerico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2018 at 09:26 PM »
Salamat sir mhacman. Will keep that in mind. :)