Entertainment > Pinoy Entertainment

The Filipino Action Movie

<< < (2/9) > >>

zerone_null:
i must've missed that or else i would've thought otherwise ;)

but now that i know, might just grab a copy somewhere and watch it..

thnx.

oh there's another thing i don't know if you guys think about it but uhhmm budget constraints?  and profitability?
we can't export movies the way americans do.. 

i'm not sure about what i just said but hey.. :) the closest i've been to a production is a "the making of.. " extras from DVDs hahaha

Noel_Vera:
48 Oras is slow, but the sequences are visually outstanding; Asedillo is predictable (it's practically the prototype for the typical FPJ flick) but again the visual texture and editing has a poetry (thanks to Ad. Castilo) that his later films lacked.

Bagong Hari is, I think, something else; the classic revenge flick turned into some kind of noir epic. Also has its share of twists and turns.

Kastilyong Buhangin is basically your Star is Born melodrama with some terrific action setpieces. In other words, it doesnt' drive or feel like your typical action flick, its characterization is more in-depth than usual. Also, Lito Lapid's performance here is wonderfully understated.

Then there's Rico Ilarde's Z Man, which is an entertaining SF pastiche.

Budget and time constrainst are a consideration, especially considering that an action film depends more on its budget and schedule than most other genres. That said, Filipino filmmakers do admirably well in the circumstances.

jdv1229:
I enjoyed Peque Gallaga's Kid Huwag Kang Susuko with Richard Gomez & Mark Gil. It's a Filipino vesrion of The Karate Kid but better. The action sequences were well executed aided by Ely Cruz' amazing cinematography & Jess Navarro's brisk editing.
There's also Romy Suzara's Boy Pana with Bembol Roco. The thrilling motorcycle chase just kept me on the edge of my seat.
Ishmael Bernal's Boy Kodyak... what do you think Noel?

zerone_null:
i've for so long been branding our movies as monotonously uncreative.  Redundant that may have sounded--it's like eating unseasoned baked potatoes with your nose pinched.
Lately i've had the chance to view some modern teenage/comedy pieces and well i can say we've long passed the sandals-fly-to-mouth-then-do-a-musical-mid-movie era.  For action films..i've yet to see.
thanks guys for opening up my mind again to filipino action movies.   :)

Noel_Vera:

--- Quote from: Jojo Devera on May 06, 2004 at 08:03 AM ---I enjoyed Peque Gallaga's Kid Huwag Kang Susuko with Richard Gomez & Mark Gil. It's a Filipino vesrion of The Karate Kid but better. The action sequences were well executed aided by Ely Cruz' amazing cinematography & Jess Navarro's brisk editing.

--- End quote ---

I agree, Peque's Kid is more visual than Karate Kid...but you have to sit through about an hour of uncompelling drama to reach Mark Gil kicking through a couple of aquariums.

I still think Peque's best action sequences are in Scorpio Nights--no, seriously. Then I suppose Oro Plata Mata (tho again, the excellently done action is unsupported by a solid story and characters).

Glad you're so open-minded, zerone...not like some people 'round the other threads that put down Filipino films, probably without watching much of em...

"do-a-musical-mid-movie"

Oh, man, you gotta see the '50s Bollywood movies...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version