Author Topic: Lifespan of a TV  (Read 7402 times)

Offline akiraPrime

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Watch the best movies!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
Lifespan of a TV
« on: Sep 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM »
My 8 y/o LG plasma TV (42PJ350R) has conked out for the 3rd time. I had it serviced 2x already, at 2 years intervals, and I think its time not to have it repaired this time.
I loved the blacks and pq of the plasma tv not only on BDs but also in gaming and sd tv channels.

For those who maximized the lifespan of their TVs how long was long enough?
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018 at 10:19 PM by akiraPrime »

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Lifespan of a TV
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2018 at 12:09 AM »
i think it's time to go. i'm sure the repair will cost about 1/3 of the cost of selling the thing. Maybe more.

I too am a big plasma fan. I have two 50" Panasonic Plasma TV's that are still working great. Bought the first around 10 years ago. The second one was about 8 years ago. Both are still performing really well.

It was difficult to upgrade to the new LED / UHD panels because plasma still rocks in terms of black levels.

Ended up with a 65" Sony X8500E. Price vs performance vs value it was the best at that time (about 5 months ago).

If there was an available 65" panasonic at that time it would have been a sure buy.

Offline akiraPrime

• Collector
  • Watch the best movies!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2018 at 06:54 AM »
It was difficult to upgrade to the new LED / UHD panels because plasma still rocks in terms of black levels.

/
Might consider getting an HDR capable TV for gaming. Is HDR really that good? Or just another marketing feature, and not really necessary?

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM »
Might consider getting an HDR capable TV for gaming. Is HDR really that good? Or just another marketing feature, and not really necessary?

it's good but I can't say it's as good as DVD to Blu-ray quality jump. It helps in giving a more cinematic experience in the content you watch or even in video games. But is it a drastic change? IMO, I don't think it is. But since I'm using an OLED with HDR, might as well get on the hype train. hehe

I compared Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 1080p SDR vs the HDR version. I only noticed a change in colors. For SDR, it's more vivid and more saturated. For HDR, I noticed that the colors were toned down/looked more natural.

As for 1080p to 4k? It depends pa din sa quality ng content and gaano kagaling yung pagmaster sa 4k version. Sa Inception, I didn't notice much of a leap sa 1080p to the 4k version.

IMO, 4k HDR maganda sa mga superhero movies. I love it on all 3 Avengers, Thor, and Black Panther. Justice League...pwede na. Wonderwoman, mostly dark tones eh so can't appreciate it much. Sa Dunkirk pwede na HDR. Pero medjo subdued colors sa Dunkirk. Life of Pi, HDR stands out, IMO. Yung blu ray 1080p ko na sobrang ganda on my 1080p LED 3D TV, nagmukhang panget compared to 4k HDR Life of Pi.

Watching Avatar on blu-ray to a 4k tv, blurry yung datin. So hopefully magrelease na soon yung Avatar, LotR, etc ng 4k HDR versions. Should be a good upgrade.

I think, for you to be able to appreciate it, I suggest bring HDR content and its SDR version as well para talagang makita mo in person. Was I blown away? No. But I do enjoy the improvement kahit di ganun kalaki.

Is it necessary? I wouldn't say it is, sa opinion ko. Pero it really helps enhance the movie experience. So if you want to be immersed even more, I think it's a nice option to have.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline t-bone

• Trade Count: (+242)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 574
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM »
3 of our Samsung Plasmas are still working great 51" FHDs
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline LT

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • http://youtu.be/BxY_eJLBflk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2018 at 01:07 PM »
3 of our Samsung Plasmas are still working great 51" FHDs

as long as they're in AC cooled rooms you'll have no issues.
"without commitment you'll never start, without consistency you'll never finish"

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2018 at 05:25 AM »
for me i appreciate HDR content. Once the tv i bought was calibrated correctly i was able to see a huge difference between hdr and non hdr 4k.

hindi pa oled yung tv ko. The jump from 4k to 4k HDR is far more noticeable than the jump from 1080p to 4k in my opinion

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2018 at 12:42 PM »
Ganun ba? Wish i knew that before. Yung panasonic plasma ko nasira after 3 years. Yung older pana lcd ko, 10 years old na but showing signs of gray areas in dark scenes

Offline akiraPrime

• Collector
  • Watch the best movies!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2018 at 01:32 PM »

I have 2 units, of the same model TV, both are in a non aircon room but has at least a foot of space between the wall and the tv. Unfortunately only one has shown its age, the other unit still functions normally.

Same manufacturing dates, same purchase (bought buy 1 take 1 promo) but only 1 had problems.

Offline espionage

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2018 at 01:52 PM »
This is true, my beloved LG plasma tv is directly aligned at my AC. With 2 inches + bracket spaced in between. Still no issues until I sold it last summer. Sabay ng sa brother-in-law ko na Samsung plasma, now with several vertical lines on a non-airconditioned room. Both are almost 7+ yrs na.
Samsung 65" NU7100 | Onkyo TXSR608 | Zidoo X9S | AMD HTPC | PS4 | A-Audio FS | WH3 CS | Daichi Surr

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 854
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2018 at 03:21 PM »
I think its more of a hit or miss thing. I have a 42PV70 that is already nearing its 10th year in a non air conditioned room but works perfectly while I have a 55 inch Toshiba that conked out after 4 years and its in an air conditioned room naman.

nasanay kasi tayo sa CRT na ilang dekada bago masira. yun ang naging basis ng marami in terms of durability.  Come to think of it the CRT tecnology matured already for several decades and na perfect na yung manufacturing standards while LCD only became a mass consumer item some 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2018 at 03:23 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline alvin2044

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2018 at 05:38 PM »
My Panasonic Viera (plasma 42") still working well. No issues since 2011. Planning to upgrade for Samsung 4K NU558000. Ok po ba ang Samsung?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Offline rotciv818

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2018 at 10:51 AM »
still using my pana 42". installed pc fans at the back as exhaust. nawala yung green hue nya whenever maiinit na sya

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2019 at 04:42 AM »
Upgrade when

* The repair cost nears 80% of the price of an equivalent currently sold TV.
* You're still on a 2K display when 4K content is out now and when 8K content is released in 2026.

Around 10 years is a good time to keep a TV if you have the flexibility.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2019 at 04:46 AM by DViant »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2019 at 06:20 AM »
Around 10 years is a good time to keep a TV if you have the flexibility.
5 years nga tumagal TV OK na ako eh.  pero less than that parang sobrang lugi ka naman.
ninjababez online ..

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019 at 06:26 AM »
5 years nga tumagal TV OK na ako eh.  pero less than that parang sobrang lugi ka naman.

My experience with four Samsung HDTVs during 2006-2016 is that they do not last longer than 5 years. That's why blacklisted na yung brand na yan sa amin.

Although a friend whose company sells component parts to Samsung encourages me to buy Samsung.

Kaso walang OLED si Samsung eh di belat na lang. ;)

My good experience with LG so far led me to buy inverter AC, front loading washing machine and refrigerator from them. Hopefully they last more than 10 years.

I am scheduling a TV upgrade by 2026 when 8K Blu-ray, 8K Netflix, 8K Prime Video and 8K YouTube start rolling out. Hopefully a 146-inch MicroLED TV will cost around $2500. :)

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2019 at 06:57 AM by DViant »

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2019 at 06:44 AM »
yung Myview 40PX200 na gamit ko 4 years and counting na. parang walang nag bago sa picture quality.

Offline angelomb3

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2019 at 01:27 PM »
I bought a 43" Hisense LED TV last February and now its showing signs of conking out. The screen sometimes blacks out for a few seconds like its being turned off after every 10mins..if its not the picture it's audio that turns off then on..

Worse the remote of my Konzert Sbx 24 soundbar has conked out too so i have to get up to adjust volume and cant adjust na the treble and base..

Can the Hisense still be repaired? Where is the service ctr in Manila? Im from Muntinlupa..
Also can i buy a new remote for my Konzert soundbar?

Hope someone from from this forum knows.. And thanks in advance :)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2019 at 01:57 PM »
My very first flat panel, a Samsung UA-32D5000, purchased back in 2011 from Sight & Sounds is still working fine. My parents are using it now as their bedroom set.

My LG 55" UH6500 4K UHD Smart TV, which was gifted by my brother just in 2017, conked out with an apparent panel problem last May 2019.

Offline wheelee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Nobodies tomorrow is guaranteed
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2019 at 03:00 PM »
we had a sony that lasted around 8 years, di na kinaya yung 2nd lightning hit!

when it comes to electronics, walang forever lalo na yung mga lumalabas ngayon, unlike those that where made in japan/ Germany from the 70s/80s. Ngayon kahit Japanese/ german brand dinarin tumatagal since almost all are MIC

try this link to service you hisense
http://www.servicecenterphilippines.com/hisense/hisense-repair-service-center-philippines.php

there are universal remotes & there are Phones, like my Redmi Pro, that can be used as a remote. it handles tons of brand. Kahit yung Asahi Fan na namin na more than 7seven yrs. na yata pumwede sa Xiaomi phone ko.

@jas
confirmed the Panel daw at hindi PCB/ components ang problema?
kung panel talaga yan parang bumili kana ng bago sa repair siguro nyan.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2019 at 03:02 PM by wheelee »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2019 at 03:43 PM »
@jas
confirmed the Panel daw at hindi PCB/ components ang problema?
kung panel talaga yan parang bumili kana ng bago sa repair siguro nyan.

Pinakita ko sa technician & most likely panel problem raw. But if he actually opens the set to check & confirm, may charges na raw agad. So I decided to just buy a new TV. I replaced this with a Samsung 49" Q60R QLED.

Offline t-bone

• Trade Count: (+242)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 574
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2019 at 05:26 PM »
There were this series of Panasonic Plasmas that were bulletproof. 

I helped a friend set up his bedroom AV system last 2005.  VIERA 42" FullHD 1080p at 58T

Still working great 2019.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2019 at 08:08 PM by t-bone »
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7149
« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2019 at 05:38 PM »
i have a pana viera  32" and is pushing 8+ years and still going strong...
i have a Deviant 50" and is about 4 years na, okey naman...

thinking of getting a newer smart tv by year end... 8)
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2019 at 05:40 PM by tony »
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline v1n5anity

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2019 at 07:04 PM »
Samsung Series 6 lasted 5 years (2009-2014). Replaced it with LG, which is still doing well after 5 years (knock on wood). Another Samsung (Series 7) lasted 9 years (2010 - 2019) replaced with TCL.

Offline XanderCage

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2019 at 05:39 AM »
i have a sony bravia led bought in 2007 and still works well up to now, sold it to a friend.

another LG led bought in 2014, sold to the same friend.

now an LG oled B6 bought in 2017, hopefully this lasts as long as it can or until microled is mainstream.

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2019 at 05:53 AM »
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2019 at 06:39 AM »
I had this posted on the old thread: Just another update.

This is my 1st Flat Screen TV.
HITACHI Plasma PD7800TA, got this in 2001 for a whopping price. Still works fine after all these years. I passed it to my Mom's room & still works like new after all these years w/out a glitch. She watched TV like 24/7 except when she goes out & ups the volume where you could hear it when you're a few meters away from her door coz she has a slight hearing problem due to her age. 2 years ago my Mom passed away so I decided to have the TV for the helpers. Still works very well. Oh there old 1 was PHILIPS 29" Picture Tube Type, buhay pa rin, Non-Stop usage except for the remote.

The Hitachi was expensive at that time but imagine w/out changing that tv for the last 18yrs.

The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #27 on: Aug 07, 2019 at 06:02 AM »
I had this posted on the old thread: Just another update.

This is my 1st Flat Screen TV.
HITACHI Plasma PD7800TA, got this in 2001 for a whopping price. Still works fine after all these years. I passed it to my Mom's room & still works like new after all these years w/out a glitch. She watched TV like 24/7 except when she goes out & ups the volume where you could hear it when you're a few meters away from her door coz she has a slight hearing problem due to her age. 2 years ago my Mom passed away so I decided to have the TV for the helpers. Still works very well. Oh there old 1 was PHILIPS 29" Picture Tube Type, buhay pa rin, Non-Stop usage except for the remote.

The Hitachi was expensive at that time but imagine w/out changing that tv for the last 18yrs.

and we have a winner :)
grabe, hanggang ngayon nagsisi ako di pako kumuha ng 65" pana plasma nung meron pa
yun vt30 ko nasa ex ko buhay parin ngayon
ninjababez online ..

Offline wheelee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Nobodies tomorrow is guaranteed
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #28 on: Aug 07, 2019 at 09:27 AM »
those Plasma would last years But aren't those Voltage guzzlers x years!
they say LED's are 70% less power hungry than those plasma's, so doing the math I think  even if you change LED TV's every 5~7yrs it's still a better option & you get the latest innovations.

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #29 on: Aug 07, 2019 at 09:50 AM »
Same here panasonic's vt30 still up & running. Simula ata ng maging purely made in china yun mga parts naging mahuna na yun products nila.