Author Topic: Sansui Amplifiers  (Read 109959 times)

Offline Yahoo!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sansui Amplifiers
« on: May 09, 2004 at 12:38 AM »
I recently bought a Sansui AU-D607 amplifier from pier, got it for 3.5K.  They said they already have the two 907 model but they are still in the works  fixing them, according to them its the 907 Limited model.  My problem now is the speakers to pair with it.  Anybody knows the exact power output of my purchased amp? I would like to pair it with two sets of speakers, a pair for the fronts and the other pair for the rear.  I am open for suggestions... Thanks.

BTW, am also eyeing the Sony 333ESX II to pair it with another surplus Sony CD player.  How does this Sony model perform compared with the Sansui AU-D607?

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
Re: Sansui Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004 at 04:21 PM »
I recently bought a Sansui AU-D607 amplifier from pier, got it for 3.5K.  ...Anybody knows the exact power output of my purchased amp? BTW, am also eyeing the Sony 333ESX II to pair it with another surplus Sony CD player.  How does this Sony model perform compared with the Sansui AU-D607?

AU-D607 is 80wpc RMS although some premium models of this line go down to 50wpc. Having owned several brands of amps - US-, British-, Canadian- and German-made (since used hifi trading was my sideline while working for a graduate degree in Diliman during the '80s), I'd say Sansui amps are among the best produced by Japan and definitely superior to comparable amps from Sony, or other popular brands.

The only Japanese brand that beats Sansui, based on my experience, is Accuphase/Kensonic Lab. If you want to invest in Sansui, upgrade with the Alpha series, which is significantly superior (more expensive too.) But  then, if you can find an Accuphase amp at the pier, as long is it's in working condition and costs less than $500, grab it. It's almost as good as gold!
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Yahoo!

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004 at 09:28 PM »
thanks man. my brother is leaving for Japan on wednesday, I can ask him to look for the alpha Sansuis.  My cousin will be back end of May for a month long vacation, maybe by that time my brother has found one to send back home.  Better yet, I can also ask for the other great Japan amps that fellow PDVDers mention.  do you any more brands you can suggest?

thanks again!

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004 at 01:07 PM »
many people say that once upon a time sansui was the greatest... some of their finest amps were unfortunately seen only in the japanese domestic market.

sansui 07 series (1976-1999)

got P100,000 to spare for this 2nd hand amp?  its a bargain since the original price is P200,000.

here's an interesting comparison between a tube amp they made in 1966 and a solid state amp they made in 1995 -- they sound almost identical 30 years apart!!  i don't know if i should be amazed at the tube amp for standing up to technology 30 years into the future, or the modern day solid state amp for sounding like a vintage tube amp... either way its a great achievement.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004 at 01:22 PM by akyatbundok »

Online qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004 at 09:49 AM »
Dont be amazed...hehehe...I had a Sansui AU 111...nothing fancy about it, except for its sheer weight at a back breaking 60 pounds !!! its Push Pull  amp with 6L6 tubes ... I sounded great compared to most of my solid state amp, but once I got the Dynaco and the Scott...it was no comparison...

BTW..the AU 111 has quite a good following in the US SANSUI groups..kinda like the following of Wiredstate Members and the Dynaco ST70, several people offered to buy the unit from me, but the shipping cost was outrageous

Quote from: akyatbundok

here's an interesting [url=http://www.sansui.us/issues_AU111vsAL907MR.htm
comparison[/url] between a tube amp they made in 1966 and a solid state amp they made in 1995 -- they sound almost identical 30 years apart!!  i don't know if i should be amazed at the tube amp for standing up to technology 30 years into the future, or the modern day solid state amp for sounding like a vintage tube amp... either way its a great achievement.

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005 at 09:15 AM »
I have a defective Sansui amp

model 4900Z Digital Synthesizer DC Stereo Receiver
           250 watts, 220 v
           acquired locally early 80's. problem the last time was umusok yung board I think due to overload.

Can somebody recommend a shop or person (preferably Makati, Pque, Alabang area) who can restore this amp back to life. Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline Abad Santos 7

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2005 at 10:46 AM »
I have a defective Sansui amp

model 4900Z Digital Synthesizer DC Stereo Receiver
           250 watts, 220 v
           acquired locally early 80's. problem the last time was umusok yung board I think due to overload.

Can somebody recommend a shop or person (preferably Makati, Pque, Alabang area) who can restore this amp back to life. Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Hindi ko alam kung open pa ung service center nila sa may VV Soliven sa May Edsa before kang dumating ng SEC
kung galing ka ng cubao.

Pero mine(Last yr lang), I have tried Pioneer service center(6th ave Kalookan), prob ang mahal ng parts ng Sansui mukhang mas mura kumpara kung bibili ng bago.  Pero still I gamble since different ang sound compare sa mga modern amp. 

Ang isa pang malaking prob, pag vintage for sure hindi readily available ang parts.  It will take almost a year pag nag order pa sa Japan ang parts na defective.

Pero at least nagawa and Sad to say ang brother ko ang nage-enjoy ngayon.

Cheers.

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2005 at 10:54 AM »

Pero mine(Last yr lang), I have tried Pioneer service center(6th ave Kalookan), prob ang mahal ng parts ng Sansui mukhang mas mura kumpara kung bibili ng bago.  Pero still I gamble since different ang sound compare sa mga modern amp. 

Thanks a lot   :) ...... will try Pioneer service center at Alabang.... nearer to my place
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005 at 10:57 AM »
Do they (607, 707 and 907 assuming from the same range) have the same preamp section?

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 02:16 PM »
san ko ba pwede makita power output ng sansui A-5? at san kaya pwede ito pa-service?
Proud user of AVR135

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 08:39 AM »
i would buy a 100V Jap amp at twice the price of the same model with 220V power supply. the AU series, especially Jap domestic models, have significantly superior parts than their international versions. bottom line: quality of surplus Jap amps is higher compared with those they sold to the international market.

some of the original technicians trained by Sansui Japan in the '80s (formerly with the Sansui service center in VV Soliven) were still around the last time i had one of my gear repaired, which was 10 years ago. i remember i saw one at a Virra Mall repair shop, and several were working in electronic service shops near the corner of Del Monte and Banawe. i just don't know if they're still there. 

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 11:08 AM »
mga sir, i need your opinion po:

a first cousin of mine is proposing to trade his Sansui AU-D7 Integrated Amp. that he bought in Saudi Arabia sometime in 1982 (but still in great working condidtion, never been repaired) w/ my Yamaha RX-V450 HT Receiver that I bought a year ago for Php14,+++ :)

tanong ko lang sana if this is a good vintage amp., magkano kaya ang resale value nito ngayon & kung di ba masyado naman akong lugi sa proposal nya, hehehe ;D

thanks a lot in advance 8)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 12:19 PM »
AU-D7 is 80wpc and equivalent to Jap model AU-D607F, which you can buy at the pier probably from P3.5K to P5K. since the AU-D7 is an international model, it's parts are expected to be slightly inferior to the D607, and that would also have a bearing on the pricing. there's a possibility, however, that the 607 unit sold at the pier was already repaired, so, another consideration. bottom line is decide based on your priority. sound, looks, price appraisal, serviceability, etc.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 12:38 PM »
AU-D7 is 80wpc and equivalent to Jap model AU-D607F, which you can buy at the pier probably from P3.5K to P5K. since the AU-D7 is an international model, it's parts are expected to be slightly inferior to the D607, and that would also have a bearing on the pricing. there's a possibility, however, that the 607 unit sold at the pier was already repaired, so, another consideration. bottom line is decide based on your priority. sound, looks, price appraisal, serviceability, etc.

thanks a lot sir sandawa for a very enlightening inputs :D.......luging-lugi pala ako dito, will just politely decline the offer nalang ;D.......salamat uli sir & may your tribe increase 8)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 06:09 PM »
from my own experience having run a repair shop in the early 80's Sansuis' bought is Saudi are not that good quality judging from the number of units that came to my shop, i's say 3 out of 5 amps would be Sansui's.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline carlos888

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 03:56 AM »
A relative from abroad just sent me a sansui AU-11000. Do anybody here knows its full specs? Tnx! ;D
Hana ML, Fidelity Research, Technics Sp-20, EAR-Yoshino, Plinius, Audience and WE cables.

Online qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 06:02 AM »
if the Philippines  had a total of

10,000 Sansui amp from Saudi
100 Pioneer amps from Saudi

30 Sansui amp were defective
20 Pioneer amp were defective
total of 50 defective amps..

Given this scenario which is the  more reliable amplifier ?

from my own experience having run a repair shop in the early 80's Sansuis' bought is Saudi are not that good quality judging from the number of units that came to my shop, i's say 3 out of 5 amps would be Sansui's.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 06:59 AM »
A relative from abroad just sent me a sansui AU-11000. Do anybody here knows its full specs? Tnx! ;D

assuming it's working A-okay (pref. with new caps), you're a lucky guy! that's a Sansui mid-70s classic. 110wpc currently selling in US auctions at $300, and in Japan at roughly 25,000 yen. was sold in the US in late '70s at $750, a huge amount of money at that time. that would be an object of envy among Sansui vintage nuts at Audio Karma.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 10:42 AM »
if the Philippines  had a total of

10,000 Sansui amp from Saudi
100 Pioneer amps from Saudi

30 Sansui amp were defective
20 Pioneer amp were defective
total of 50 defective amps..

Given this scenario which is the  more reliable amplifier ?

unfortunately, i am unable to respond to if's, i am merely relating my experience, sansui's brought in from saudi, the one's with gray plastic sidings were prone to getting fried. this was probably because buyers were led to believe that these amps were high powered amps and thus these amps were often abused. 
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Online qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
Mahirap kasi mag generalize, earlier you mentioned that Sansui from Saudi were unreliable or sirain, now its only the models with gray plastic sidings, maybe later later we coulds say that a specific series of Sansui were unreliable

eto hindi if, its a  fact ... yung electronic  shop ng friend ko tambak ng Sony TV na sira, shall we say that Sony TV's are not good quality   ? actually yung TV ko Sony mey sira rin..needs to visit that shop, yung TV ng mommy ko Sony din, nasira na rin before, yung  Projection TV ni Kato, one of the members here sira rin ... napak unreliable ng Sony talaga...I bet, most of the TV that you repaired in the 80,  if you did repair TV',  eh Sony din ang marami.       bibili na lang ako ng Konka TV, kasi sa repair shop ng friend ko, wala pa ako nakita na konka... .....Peace   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

unfortunately, i am unable to respond to if's, i am merely relating my experience, sansui's brought in from saudi, the one's with gray plastic sidings were prone to getting fried. this was probably because buyers were led to believe that these amps were high powered amps and thus these amps were often abused. 

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 01:47 PM »

hi carlos888,

sir, nakita ko ata yan sa store nyo. unfortunately, was not able to audition it. lunch time kasi, dami cd hunters. is it in tip top condition?  ;D . it has the same RMS rating as my BA-2000 power amp.

this might help
http://www.sansui.us/Bro_1.htm

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2006 at 02:08 PM by southpeak »

Offline carlos888

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 04:13 AM »
Tnx Sandawa and southpeak! Its in top condition everyting is working and in original markings as well as all the knobs and switches. And sound astonishingly outstanding than my pre-power im currently using!!! ;D
Hana ML, Fidelity Research, Technics Sp-20, EAR-Yoshino, Plinius, Audience and WE cables.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 08:38 AM »
Anybody, who owns and familiar with AU-9500? Can somebody share his share of knowledge about this receiver?
Thanks in advance?
 :) :) :)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 09:07 AM »
AU-9500 is another vintage gem, and comparatively rare here. released in 1975, 55wpc, original retail price at $550, current eBay price at $150. i think the best way to find more info about it is through Google, visit the sansui.us website, or search the Audio Karma sansui forum.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 02:04 PM »
Thanks, Sandawa.

Got my AU-9500 two three years ago..I replaced some leaky transistors in the preamp section because one channel was muting when played afted a few minutes of playback.
Its working well now...

Thanks again. :) :) :)
BTW, can you recommend somebody familiar with a maranz 4400 receiver, the scope is not working...

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 03:12 PM »
i've been based here in Davao the last 10 years and i noticed the old hifi technicians in Metro Manila are no longer there. dati may magagaling dyan na matatanda (Japan-trained) sa Delmonte/Banaue, Raon and even Greenhills. i remember, some of them were even pirated by Middle East hifi dealers in the '80s. the last time i went around those places two years ago, wala na -- either nag-abroad, nag-retire, or SLN.

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 04:44 PM »
Tnx Sandawa and southpeak! Its in top condition everyting is working and in original markings as well as all the knobs and switches. And sound astonishingly outstanding than my pre-power im currently using!!! ;D

hi carlos888, good for you. never under estimate the "sansui sound". once upon a time, it was "up" there  ;). its not everyday the you become the most popular and most talked about brand in audiokarma for nothing. enjoy..  ;D ;D

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 04:54 PM »
I have a Sansui AU-D907F. I have never regretted this purchase even when I heard tube amps - Dynaco, Scott, Fisher etc.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2006 at 05:01 PM by rascal101 »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 07:38 PM »
I also own a 907F, the equivalent of AU-D11 which was Sansui TOTL in the US in early '80s. Check its innard, the aluminum tube coolers, 80,000uF power caps, copper chassis, etc. -- medyo short lang sa bass sabi nung iba but the sound is comparable in clarity to an Accuphase.

Offline jeppoy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 09:20 PM »
guys pls help. My father owns an AUD33. Tried it pero yung red led sa taas ng power switch keep blinking lang. Probably may problem ito or sira since naaalala ko dapat tumigil yun before a sound will come out. Any idea kung san ko pwede patignan and do you think worthy pa ba syang pagawa. Any feedback on this model? Btw, may kasama syang rg7 equalizer, tape deck na i think di na talaga gumagana noon pa and a tuner na medyo sira na rin.