Author Topic: Sansui Amplifiers  (Read 109981 times)

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sansui Amplifiers
« Reply #30 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 10:11 PM »
marami din palang sansui lover dito. nadispose kona lahat ng sansui reciever at amp ko...and never akong nagsisi sa pagbili... ibang category tumunog ang mga sansui... nanghihinayang nga akong na ibenta ko sila...( qrx 9001 qrx 5500, aud-11, at 9090db) ang possession ko na lang ay yung hard to find na speaker model SP-5500 at SP-2000
 :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006 at 05:17 PM by joey »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #31 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 09:50 AM »
I also own a 907F, the equivalent of AU-D11 which was Sansui TOTL in the US in early '80s. Check its innard, the aluminum tube coolers, 80,000uF power caps, copper chassis, etc. -- medyo short lang sa bass sabi nung iba but the sound is comparable in clarity to an Accuphase.

Sir Sandawa,

I have not noticed that the 907F was short in the bass at all. Yup ganda talaga nung innards nung 907F - although originally when I first saw it at the Pier I thought it sucks. Buti na lang I was with someone who knew better. Nung pinatugtog iyung amp ang ganda tumunog kahit di gaano kaganda speakers. After that I made the purchase.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 10:47 AM »
this is because one man's experience on the same gear does not nescessarilly go the same as far as yours.

you may not be using the same setup overall, that is why.....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 10:54 AM »
i have noticed that amps from japan goes thru a "fad cycle" that is you see various brands that uses the same topology in a given period of time. even transistors used are the same from brand to brand, and that is easy to understand.

for sansui fans, just be warry of those models that have these plastic sidings, phenolic underchassis cover and grey metal top covers, they are lemons imho and you are better off avoiding them.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rnb_zounds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Dig my Rhythm and Blues!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 01:28 PM »
for sansui fans, just be warry of those models that have these plastic sidings, phenolic underchassis cover and grey metal top covers, they are lemons imho and you are better off avoiding them.

Sir 2ny, baka may specific model numbers/range kayo niyan? I've seen sa pier na gray plastic ang body with the newer sansui logo. Ayan kaya yun? ???

As for me, back in the early 80's as a kid we had a complete Sansui system; amp, two tape decks, tuner, equ, tt, speakers, hindi ko nalang maalala yung amp model but even then I felt it was the best. Sadly my older bro sold everything off while I was away. Now all I have is an AU-D507X which, innards wise isn't as good as its higher numbered brethren; like the ones discussed earlier. However it has served me well and good. It may be a bit tired looking pero wayyyy okay parin ang tunog. So I'd still keep it even as I was able to get a very much classier Luxman.  ;D

Offline parasmi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 05:10 PM »
at natuwa naman ako nung binenta mo sa akin QRX-9001, sir joey  ;D pero eventually binenta ko rin dahil di ko rin naman magamit quad features nya. masaya naman siguro yung 'kano na bumili  ;D

i'm still in the search for an AU-907. very rare na magkaroon nito sa pier  :(

marami din palang sansui lover dito. nadispose kona lahat ng sansui reciever at amp ko...and never akong nagsisi sa pagbili... ibang category tumunog ang mga sansui... nanghihinayang nga akong na ibenta ko sila...( qrx 9001 qrx 5500, aud-11, at 9090db) ang possession ko na lang ay yung hard to find na speaker model SP-5500 at SP-2000
 :'( :'( :'(

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 05:31 PM »

Meron AU-D907 malapit sa White Gold Valenzuela. Paki check naman dun sa Surplus Amps iyung location. Nasabi ko na kasi dun. Walang kumukuha nung unit na iyun since last year. Bakit kaya?

Offline parasmi

• Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 07:26 PM »
saw that post kaya lang medyo malayo sa makati and i'm not familiar with the area.

Meron AU-D907 malapit sa White Gold Valenzuela. Paki check naman dun sa Surplus Amps iyung location. Nasabi ko na kasi dun. Walang kumukuha nung unit na iyun since last year. Bakit kaya?

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 09:50 PM »
at natuwa naman ako nung binenta mo sa akin QRX-9001, sir joey  ;D pero eventually binenta ko rin dahil di ko rin naman magamit quad features nya. masaya naman siguro yung 'kano na bumili  ;D

your welcome sir parasmi... ;D actualy madami pa ibang sansui amp ang napalampas ko dahil sa budget... fyi meron nga akong inaawitang g-22000, BA-5000, AU-111  at iba pa, kaso hindi natuloy yung deal... sa tawi-tawi pa at somewhere sa bangkal nakatago yung mga amp.. sayang talaga haaay... ??? :'(

Offline carlos888

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #39 on: Apr 30, 2006 at 05:23 PM »
hi carlos888, good for you. never under estimate the "sansui sound". once upon a time, it was "up" there  ;). its not everyday the you become the most popular and most talked about brand in audiokarma for nothing. enjoy..  ;D ;D

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?

I agree with you!!! I never thought this amp is way up there in the sansui hierarchy. And the technology that was incorporated in this amp is evident even it todays high end amp. ;D
Hana ML, Fidelity Research, Technics Sp-20, EAR-Yoshino, Plinius, Audience and WE cables.

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 06:40 PM »
mga sir, my Sansui BA 2000 is only rated at 8ohm load impedance, no mention of 4 or 6ohm in spec sheet, could i try it with my 4ohm speakers?

maraming salamat po..

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 07:10 PM »
mga sir, my Sansui BA 2000 is only rated at 8ohm load impedance, no mention of 4 or 6ohm in spec sheet, could i try it with my 4ohm speakers?

maraming salamat po..

the fact that there is no mention of 6 or 4 ohms on the spec sheet means that the manufacturer can not guarantee operation with a 4ohm speaker. but this does not mean that you can hook up a 4ohm speaker, you can but do not operate the amps for prolonged periods and at high volume levels. hinay hinay lang....

travel at your own risk.

Offline southpeak

• Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 08:39 PM »
the fact that there is no mention of 6 or 4 ohms on the spec sheet means that the manufacturer can not guarantee operation with a 4ohm speaker. but this does not mean that you can hook up a 4ohm speaker, you can but do not operate the amps for prolonged periods and at high volume levels. hinay hinay lang....

travel at your own risk.

copy sir, thanks for the advise. medyo lumakas ang loob ko na mag experiment. will thread lightly as suggested.

follow up question if i may. the unit is equiped with attenuator so i could hook it up to sources directly. control thru amp volume pots. but if i'm using a pre-amp, as the previous owner had suggested, i turn the volume pot of the amp to maximum and control volume thru the pre-amp. is this the proper way of operating it? em i not straining the amp too much this way?

maraming salamat po ng muli.

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006 at 09:11 PM by southpeak »

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 08:55 PM »
ben,

to be safe, try to set the amp's volume at minimum and gradually adjust the volume of both amp/preamp to an acceptable level. be careful in adjusting the volume, you are driving low impedance load which might damage your amp! :(
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006 at 08:56 PM by s2kov »

Offline southpeak

• Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 09:09 PM »
ben,

to be safe, try to set the amp's volume at minimum and gradually adjust the volume of both amp/preamp to an acceptable level. be careful in adjusting the volume, you are driving low impedance load which might damage your amp! :(

hi andy,

maraming salamat. i had a feeling i was doing something wrong. luckily i was driving 8ohm speakers when i did what i did. medyo mali nga ata na ilagay sa maximum ang volume control . will do as advised..

:)

Offline niceNslow

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 02:50 PM »
since were talkin about sansui, ano ba ang compatible speakers for entry-level na sansui av receiver?

Offline parasmi

• Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 09:23 AM »
same here, my g-8700db says it can only handle 8ohm load or higher. didn't risk hooking speakers w/ low impedance.
just wondering though kung bakit pwede connect dito another pair of speakers (speaker B) rated at least 8 ohms also.  Isn't that A+B 8 ohms would present a 4 ohm load to an amplifier?

maraming salamat po..

Offline parasmi

• Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 09:43 AM »
hhhmmm....wala ba recommended setting dun sa manual, sir?

all of my power amplifiers have attenuator control. when i use a pre-amp, i usually set the attenuator at 12 o'clock

copy sir, thanks for the advise. medyo lumakas ang loob ko na mag experiment. will thread lightly as suggested.

follow up question if i may. the unit is equiped with attenuator so i could hook it up to sources directly. control thru amp volume pots. but if i'm using a pre-amp, as the previous owner had suggested, i turn the volume pot of the amp to maximum and control volume thru the pre-amp. is this the proper way of operating it? em i not straining the amp too much this way?

maraming salamat po ng muli.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 10:13 AM »
Sir 2ny, baka may specific model numbers/range kayo niyan? I've seen sa pier na gray plastic ang body with the newer sansui logo. Ayan kaya yun?

i can not now recall the model numbers, but these amps have silver facia, plastic sidings, greyish painted bodies...they ussually came from Saudi....i've repaired lots of them, Sansui's other nick name is Sansunog, because the output transistors easly burned out, as many fake transistors were being sold in Raon..

i never really had this brand loyalty so to speak, as i know their topology and that they are not really different from other brands, only that some are more robust than the others.

Offline eestrera

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 07:42 AM »

Hi sir rascal,
had someone recently check the place  in valenzuela. What they have right now is  a sansui au-7500, a 607f and 607 decade. Sir, pa pm naman how much you got your 907F. Someone is offering a 907 and just wanted to check pricing. Hindi daw surplus.

Thanks,
eestrera

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 09:01 AM »
Sent you PM.

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #51 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 08:55 PM »
guys pls help. My father owns an AUD33. Tried it pero yung red led sa taas ng power switch keep blinking lang. Probably may problem ito or sira since naaalala ko dapat tumigil yun before a sound will come out. Any idea kung san ko pwede patignan and do you think worthy pa ba syang pagawa. Any feedback on this model? Btw, may kasama syang rg7 equalizer, tape deck na i think di na talaga gumagana noon pa and a tuner na medyo sira na rin.

Hi Sir, I have the same problem with my amp A707, from what I know, this is a result of the circuit protection unit activating because it senses something wrong in the amp to avert further damage.

"Mga masters" can you help us on the most probable cause of this problem, my amp stops after I played a few songs.

Thanks.
Sansui, Pioneer, Sonic Frontiers, Paradigm, Technics, Onkyo, PSB, TAD

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 10:09 AM »
can you help us on the most probable cause of this problem, my amp stops after I played a few songs.

this is due to the protection circuit being triggered and that is to protect your speakers from burning. you see, the protection circuit senses the presence of dc on the speaker terminals so that once the voltage gets dangerously high, say over 100mV, then the relay is energised opening the output.

this is also due to thermal dirfts, wherein output offsets are developed as a result of higher temps, try playing your amps at realy low levels and see if it trips.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 11:15 AM »
Hi Sir, I have the same problem with my amp A707, from what I know, this is a result of the circuit protection unit activating because it senses something wrong in the amp to avert further damage.

"Mga masters" can you help us on the most probable cause of this problem, my amp stops after I played a few songs.

Thanks.

You're right, there must be something wrong.  Amps with protection circuits do not usually engage that early even at high volumes for hours under normal conditions.  I had the same problem with my earliest A909 sansui amp in the early 80s. .Without any multitester,  no techie to help,  and very impatient to have the thing working right, I just made a gamble with my instincts and repaired BLINDLY with an old solering gun.  Suspecting the power transistors due to one channel inordinately heating up more than the other,  I had all the power transistors replaced.  Not overly expensive anyway.  And wth sheer luck, it worked fine thereafter - just an hour after I bought the parts from Raon.   ;D  Am not recommending it, suggest you have a techie troubleshoot it well first. 
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 11:40 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #54 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 06:20 PM »
The Red Protection lamps of my Sansui AUD707Decade kept blinking when I am using it and the source CD sends powerful bass to the amp.

The red pilot lamp would flicker and the audio ouput would cut out. After a while, the output would cut in again.

I realized later that i was using a 120 volt black step down transformer. When I replaced it with a 400 watt 100 volt transformer i bought from the Pier, the amp didn't encounter problems again.

foo.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 06:23 PM »
Input Overvoltage Protection was kicking in.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 06:31 PM »

I realized later that i was using a 120 volt black step down transformer. When I replaced it with a 400 watt 100 volt transformer i bought from the Pier, the amp didn't encounter problems again.

Jap appliances are designed for 100VAC.  Never use 120VAC. Or even 110VAC. 
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 06:33 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 01:24 PM »

Thanks.

Our experience with our present AU-55F model (those with no CD input) has something to do with CD output ... CD output has high voltage level than the earlier formats (phono & tape & aux) ... sansui with no CD input may trigger protection circuit if it received CD signal beyond its sensitivity rating where you plugged the CD player

With some DVD players (probably generic and could be some 'branded' obes), the output may not strictly subscribed to the limit of CD signal output level ... so the more it will induce sansui protection circuits ...

What to do? ... some DVD players has some sort of volume control which lowers the output signal going to your amps ... try to lower the level and experiment if you will still get the same problem.

For 120V transformer or 110V ... typically if you are not the first drop in a meralco post, chances are you are way below the meralco standard of 220Vac, probably within 200-210Vac, thus 110Vac transformer should be fine. For those near transformer, typically you may get 225-230Vac - that even your 100Vac transformer will have a hard time outputting that 100Vac ... an AVR with 100Vac may help.
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 06:38 PM »
this is due to the protection circuit being triggered and that is to protect your speakers from burning. you see, the protection circuit senses the presence of dc on the speaker terminals so that once the voltage gets dangerously high, say over 100mV, then the relay is energised opening the output.

this is also due to thermal dirfts, wherein output offsets are developed as a result of higher temps, try playing your amps at realy low levels and see if it trips.

Thanks Sir Tony. I normally listen up to 8 o' clock lang. I use only a wharf D8.1 for this amp. How will I know the presence of DC in my speakers?

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 06:49 PM »
You're right, there must be something wrong.  Amps with protection circuits do not usually engage that early even at high volumes for hours under normal conditions.  I had the same problem with my earliest A909 sansui amp in the early 80s. .Without any multitester,  no techie to help,  and very impatient to have the thing working right, I just made a gamble with my instincts and repaired BLINDLY with an old solering gun.  Suspecting the power transistors due to one channel inordinately heating up more than the other,  I had all the power transistors replaced.  Not overly expensive anyway.  And wth sheer luck, it worked fine thereafter - just an hour after I bought the parts from Raon.   ;D  Am not recommending it, suggest you have a techie troubleshoot it well first. 

Hello Sir AVPhile, I think this is something I can also do or ask somebody to solder it for me. The top mark on my transistors are SK A1386 70P and SK C3519 77P. Do you have an idea how much is these transistors and where can i buy an original part?