Author Topic: Skyworth 55G6 offered by SM Appliances as 30th Skyworth Anniversary Sale  (Read 10142 times)

Offline GIJoe

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284
May 65 inch kaya na available?

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
^ sana nga may 65" priced at P35k. Mapapabili ako ng de-oras.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline mojako

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anybody hooked this up to a pc? Can it run 2160p at 60fps full hdr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline staind01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I've been using Vivid as the base setting then playing around with the individual components (brightness, saturation, etc).  I find the other pre-defined settings (Cinema, in particular) too dark for the living room (where the tv is at).  When viewing HDR content, I typically find the need to put the tv on high brightness mode.

thanks! i'm using Vivid as well.

when playing movies on a USB, how do you keep the movie's aspect ratio? there's only Auto, Normal, Scan and Dot by Dot. the last one keeps the aspect ratio but is too small and i can't zoom it in.

watching anything that's stretched out (i.e. not its normal aspect ratio) is a big downer for me. ;( :(

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
thanks! i'm using Vivid as well.

when playing movies on a USB, how do you keep the movie's aspect ratio? there's only Auto, Normal, Scan and Dot by Dot. the last one keeps the aspect ratio but is too small and i can't zoom it in.

watching anything that's stretched out (i.e. not its normal aspect ratio) is a big downer for me. ;( :(
I use Kodi and VLC whenever possible and not the default video player app. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
I use Kodi and VLC whenever possible and not the default video player app. ;)

oh, thanks for the info!! there is hope!! :D

may i know how to install and use VLC? is it the same as the app on android phones?

also, am a Kodi virgin so have no idea what it's for, how to use, etc.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
oh, thanks for the info!! there is hope!! :D

may i know how to install and use VLC? is it the same as the app on android phones?

also, am a Kodi virgin so have no idea what it's for, how to use, etc.
You will need to go to the playstore (it's one of the apps on the home screen). If your tv is up to date (it says Android 8 in the settings area) you'll have access to all the Android TV apps.

Just be wary of downloading games as it eats up lots of space.

Have fun!

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
You will need to go to the playstore (it's one of the apps on the home screen). If your tv is up to date (it says Android 8 in the settings area) you'll have access to all the Android TV apps.

Just be wary of downloading games as it eats up lots of space.

Have fun!

thanks and merry Christmas!!! checking it out now. :)

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
somehow, vlc doesn't find any video files even on the USB drive.

i can browse the directories on the USB drive but when i go in one of them, no video files are found. :(

android tv version is 8.0.0 and vlc for android version is 3.0.13.

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
One last reserved unit at SM Marikina. Pag di kinuha by end of the month mapapasa-akin siya.

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
somehow, vlc doesn't find any video files even on the USB drive.

i can browse the directories on the USB drive but when i go in one of them, no video files are found. :(

android tv version is 8.0.0 and vlc for android version is 3.0.13.

solved this by installing ES File Explorer. :)

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Yup. I use ES File Explorer as well. Meanwhile, while connecting to my Xbox One:

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
After quite a few tests, I can confirm that for the cheap price of ₱25k, we got ourselves a 10-bit 4k panel which can do HDR10! 8)

Unfortunately, the tv itself doesn't have enough processing power to do it so you will need a media player capable of HDR10 output. My good old MiBox couldn't do it but I'm happy to note that my Xbox One S can.

Will be trying it on my htpc next as soon as I find the time to do it.

Offline juicepogi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
After quite a few tests, I can confirm that for the cheap price of ₱25k, we got ourselves a 10-bit 4k panel which can do HDR10! 8)

Unfortunately, the tv itself doesn't have enough processing power to do it so you will need a media player capable of HDR10 output. My good old MiBox couldn't do it but I'm happy to note that my Xbox One S can.

Will be trying it on my htpc next as soon as I find the time to do it.

Nice! Thank you Sir. This answers my question.  I was actually planning to buy this few weeks back with my 4K HDR titles (External Drive) to test but was not satisfied with the quality of output.  Unfortunately, I don't have a media player, but will try to bring my Xbox One X on the next visit. ;o)

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
Any stores still selling this unit at the discounted price?

Offline usbslave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Meron po sa abensons waltermart sucat 25k cash. May 3 units pa daw

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019 at 04:57 PM by usbslave »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Nice! Thank you Sir. This answers my question.  I was actually planning to buy this few weeks back with my 4K HDR titles (External Drive) to test but was not satisfied with the quality of output.  Unfortunately, I don't have a media player, but will try to bring my Xbox One X on the next visit. ;o)

Don't forget that you will need to set the display settings of the Xbox properly first.  Happy hunting!  ;)

Offline reignman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Does this play 4k at Netflix?

Offline Shansam

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Boght one of this at sm appliance MOA, the first unit had a problem on the first 10 days of its use, out of the box android 8.0 sya maayos lahat watch 4k on youtube picture quality was superb for its price, after 10 days of use nagkaproblema sa kulay ng balat ng tao parang di nya ma produce ung collor brown red ish ang balat ng mga tao tapos mejo makitab ang ang ibang kulay, pag nanonood nga ako ng nba yung yellow jersey ng warriors parang neon sa kintab, nireplace naman after ma servicesan d2 sa bahay, problema ko ung replacement unit is android 6.01 tried updating it pero latest os na daw ako, alam ko di un ang latest dahil 8.0 ako sa lumang unit, tapos pag inupdate ko ung youtube app di ako makanood ng 4k, walang 4k sa options upto 1080p lang, kaka replace lang pla ng unit ko January 12, anyone having same isue sa youtube? Tska sa update?

Offline monseignor

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
tried the toshiba skyworth u9700 65 inch android tv. nakasale kasi 53t.

ayaw nya basahin yung hard drive ko na 3tb. yung lg at yung tcl na mas mura nababasa at nakaka play...... tcl65p6us 42t at lg 65 uk6500 52t.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
Meron pa bang ganito sa mga appliance stores?

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
https://www.criticalhit.net/technology/skyworth-g6-4k-android-tv-review/

Could there be differences between sizes in this model? The reviews says the 49 variant does not support HDR.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
https://www.criticalhit.net/technology/skyworth-g6-4k-android-tv-review/

Could there be differences between sizes in this model? The reviews says the 49 variant does not support HDR.

The box on the 55G6 doesn't show HDR either.  I only discovered it had HDR when I connected it to my XBox One S and did the calibrations.  It showed 10-bit and 60Hz support in addition to HDR10.

The next thing I did was pop in some HDR titles (some test files then Mad Max and Blade Runner) and it did display in HDR. 

Sometimes it's hard to notice if you're already on 4k (as opposed to FullHD or 1440p or an upscaled image) but with HDR, you can immediately tell that it's HDR.  The colors really pop out.

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
The box on the 55G6 doesn't show HDR either.  I only discovered it had HDR when I connected it to my XBox One S and did the calibrations.  It showed 10-bit and 60Hz support in addition to HDR10.

The next thing I did was pop in some HDR titles (some test files then Mad Max and Blade Runner) and it did display in HDR. 

Sometimes it's hard to notice if you're already on 4k (as opposed to FullHD or 1440p or an upscaled image) but with HDR, you can immediately tell that it's HDR.  The colors really pop out.

Thanks sir, i am actually thinking of getting this one over the Hisense 55A6100 (with local dimming) because it has LG LED/LCD IPS panel over that of VA panel of hisense, as replacement for my Samsung plasma.

Is the upscaling feature of this 55G6 model good? I have tons of 1080p mkvs that i want to keep. Thank you

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
1080p looks fine on the tv.  The biggest advantage of the G6 over the Hisense is Android TV and the number of apps available.  I doubt the proprietary OS on the Hisense will ever get any sort of updates for its apps and OS after 18 months.

If your budget is 30k, I would suggest including the Samsung 55NU7100 on your list as it can be bought as cheap as 33k these days.

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
1080p looks fine on the tv.  The biggest advantage of the G6 over the Hisense is Android TV and the number of apps available.  I doubt the proprietary OS on the Hisense will ever get any sort of updates for its apps and OS after 18 months.

If your budget is 30k, I would suggest including the Samsung 55NU7100 on your list as it can be bought as cheap as 33k these days.

I do not like Samsung anymore as my experience (and my friends as well after i posted on fb that my Sammy plasma kicked the bucket) are not so good with Samsung. My 37" LG which was used more often is at it's 9th or 10th year now and still fine.

Second is, Samsung's nearest service to my house is Henry's Electronics in Valenzuela which is about 35kms away. Had to sehll out additional 700 pesos as transportation fee to have my unit checked.

Skyworth, Lg and Hisense on the other hand have service center that i pass by everyday going to work here in Bulacan.

I just hope there are still available units this weekend

Thanks for the input, sir.

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Just found this info on the net. To enter Skyworth's service menu:

Source-> 3 1 9 5

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
 :'( :'( :'( While watching movie last night, a fine horizontal line appeared in the middle of the screen. Searched the net and found that common problem is a faulty ribbon cable. This ribbon cable that leads from the LCD to the main video board, for whatever reason usually unseated some of its contacts. Accordingly,  reseating the cable will do the trick.  Gusto ko na sanang buksan but since the TV still has warranty up to the end of November 2020, i decided to request for service from Skyworth. Unfortunately, home service (or any service) is not available for now because of ECQ kaya tiis tiis muna na may guhit ang TV.  :'( :'(

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
But how does it get unseated? Im pretty sure the TV very rarely will get bumped hard enough to cause that. And it is always on a stable platform. Heat perhaps?

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
But how does it get unseated? Im pretty sure the TV very rarely will get bumped hard enough to cause that. And it is always on a stable platform. Heat perhaps?

I think corrosion is the culprit. Actually there is another cause mentioned which is defective video board. Kaya lang if board ang problema, usually mas malaking portion ng screen ang affected. Anyway sakop naman ng two year warranty ang led screen, ang video at power boards. Wait ko na lang si skyworth service.