Author Topic: Amplifier for SUBWOOFER  (Read 16201 times)

Offline @tomicZen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • AtomicZen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Amplifier for SUBWOOFER
« on: Jun 13, 2002 at 01:41 PM »
Anybody knows where I can buy amplifier for SUBWOOFER? How much? Any recommendations? I want kc to design my own subwoofer box.
@tomicZen

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Amplifier for SUBWOOFER
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2002 at 01:39 PM »
Hi @tomicZen,

I don't have specific answers for you.  But am just curious,  do you plan to put the amp inside the enclosre to come out with an active subwoofer or use an external amp for a passive sub?  What's you budget, if I may ask?  Because there are good active subs out there for even less than P10T without going thru the hassle of building one which could be more expensive.  Just my opinion.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 09:50 AM »
atomiczen-  We could make a custom made amplifier for your subwoofer.  We had a lot of customers already who wanted this to power their passive subs and we had good feedback.  

Just text me at 09175298004 if you need any clarifications or just to inquire. Thanks!

nirvblakr

Offline caohyde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • how now brown cao...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 07:32 PM »

Anybody knows where I can buy amplifier for SUBWOOFER? How much? Any recommendations? I want kc to design my own subwoofer box.

hi @tomicZen,

if you are really into DIY, i saw some amplifiers in raon the other day that you can use for your subs. they range in price from 3T to 10T. just go around the stores there and i'm sure one of them will give you a decent price for it. the amps that i saw are the ones that you can easily mount at the back of your speaker cabinet or place in your A/V rack. i think the price varies on the output of the amp.  :)

good luck. ;)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 03:30 AM »
bump for Imerb

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 10:24 PM »
caohyde: where in raon mo nakita yung sub amp na pwedeng ilagay sa likod ng speaker cabinet?

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 11:09 PM »
john5479

id think twice if I were you about mounting the sub amp on the backside of your sub enclosure. Most manufacturers of powered subwoofers have always mounted their power amps on the  backside or sometimes under the sub enclosure. This is due to cutting production costs of having the amp mounted on a seperate chassis (much like a standard amplifier) which is very ideal if you ask me.  Why you might ask? First you eliminate the problem of cooling the amp. If your sub in a tight corner then amp cooling would be compromised if it is mounted on the sub enclosure itself. You then get more flexibility in installing the sub in tight places and under custom cabinetry. Second..turning the power on would be very convenient for you if the amp is placed near your electronics stack instead of the backside of the sub.  Third...No more searching for a power outlet near your subwoofer location. Imagine having no power outlet near your sub mounted amp. Problema di ba?  Fourth...wiring the sub would be cheaper since you will be using long speaker cables rather than long RCA cables.
Advantages of having the sub amp built in on the enclosure itself?  I can think of only one thing..space saver.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2002 at 04:22 AM »
thanks well anyway my budget is limited for these, ideally i prefer an amp with a crossover and yes I know its much more convenient if outboard ang amp but i haven't seen good budget ones.

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2002 at 01:54 PM »
There's an excellent write-up about subwoofers and speaker placements on downloadable pdf format from the webiste of auido reviewer Richard Hardesty  www.audioperfectionist.con you may want to look into in your effort.

And listener (nice encountering you here other than my thread), one of the rules Mr. Hardesty recommends is it's better to place your amps closer to to speakers - use longer interconnects and shorter speaker wires.  Any site with opposing viewpoint?

To those buying or constructing a sub-woofer, Mr. Hardesty is strongly against vented subwoofers and prefers sealed enclosure.  He has 5 subwoofers in his set-up.  Check out his reasons on the first two Journals donwloadable on pdf format.

Offline t_s_o_n_g

• Collector
  • Liked:
Subwoofer Amplifier
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003 at 04:30 PM »
Hi,

Does anybody here has an idea where I can buy a subwoofer amplifier? Maybe around 50W to 100W. I have a passive subwoofer. Just want to make it active by just adding a sub amp.

Regards,
Tsong

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Subwoofer Amplifier
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003 at 04:51 PM »
 same problem here.. :) i would like to buy a 100 watt amplifier for a passive 10 inch sub..

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003 at 05:06 PM »
It's just the same amplifer as you would use to power a pair of speakers with.

Just make sure that it can handle impedance dip very well. (you really need GOOD QUALITY AMPLIFIERs for this)  Because low range woofers can go down to 1 ohms. and it'll just $uck as much power as it can off the amp. especially for the really low notes. and your volume is high.

Either a Monoblock, OR bridged 2 channel amps.. will do the work for you.

Passive subs can acctually be better than active subs. some high end subs are acctually passive...

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003 at 05:31 PM »
Yes, a regular Amplifier would work if the signal has already been filtered...The high frequencies has already been filtered. I Think if your using 5.1 then this is possible......

if your going to use this for regular AUDIO..you would need an electronic crossover to remove the high frequencies....

You may also try a Car power Amplifier designed for a Subwoofer ..this should have an Electronic X-over...but an external Power Supply  would be needed.. AC-DC converter....

I pretty much have the same problem, not being able to get an X-over for a Sub...I just inserted an equalizer between the Pre-amp and the Power Amp.. and I just put all the controls from 150 - 20KHZ to  -12 setting...it aint perfect but it works fine by me....

another thing to try is if you can get a PASSIVE Crossover for a Subwoofer...it may not be the best idea, but it sure is cheap to try......I think thier available at most Electronics Shops... I Think I saw one at the DAI-ICHI showroom at Megamall......

goodluck...

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2003 at 12:57 AM »
^Paradigm sells external Xovers. Dahil yung Servo 15 Sub nila DOESNT Come with one.

and they're cheap..

so i guess try their dealer.

X-10, x-20, x30

Offline rap6170

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 07:45 AM »
There's an excellent write-up about subwoofers and speaker placements on downloadable pdf format from the webiste of auido reviewer Richard Hardesty  www.audioperfectionist.con you may want to look into in your effort.

And listener (nice encountering you here other than my thread), one of the rules Mr. Hardesty recommends is it's better to place your amps closer to to speakers - use longer interconnects and shorter speaker wires.  Any site with opposing viewpoint?

To those buying or constructing a sub-woofer, Mr. Hardesty is strongly against vented subwoofers and prefers sealed enclosure.  He has 5 subwoofers in his set-up.  Check out his reasons on the first two Journals donwloadable on pdf format.

sir, lexmil I am also new in this "hobby". I am very much interested in building my own sub due to budget constrains. can anybody help us on this? anyway i've tried clicking on the link above but it seems there not availavle anymore....

can any give us advise? :)

Offline afterglow

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 08:08 AM »
I built my sub using plans and parts from www.acoustic-visions.com.  I used the 15" Tempest driver and the Parts Express 250w amp in a sealed enclosure.

Building the sub was easy enough but I had to import the driver and the amp.

I can't say I saved by by building the sub since there are a lot of cheap subs available.  However, there's nothing that can approach my sub at its price.  Total cost is ~$500.

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 01:51 PM »
^Paradigm sells external Xovers. Dahil yung Servo 15 Sub nila DOESNT Come with one.

and they're cheap..

so i guess try their dealer.

X-10, x-20, x30

may paradigm ba dito?and where?

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 05:11 PM »
Just to share some thoughts to those wanting to buy a separate amp for their passive subs.

It may not be totally adviseable to just use any home audio amplifier out there to drive a  passive subwoofer. While there is no reason they can't drive one, there are specialized amplifiers that are meant to reproduce low frequencies very efficiently.  The same kinds that drive electric bass guitars and used as bass boosters in cars.

There's this mode of amplifer operation based on its circuit topology or design identified  by Classes.  Many if not most subs(like Velodyne) and bass guitar amps use the Class D or switching amp. It has a basic design-inherent limitation in driving high frequencies(unneccessary anyway) and being non-lniear(what for?)  Their main advantage is in the efficient use of electrical power, usually 85% - 90%  They can be designed to generate lots of current as reuqired by bass frequencies.  And when idle draw very little unlike class A, B or AB amps.  In short their design and operation makes them very suitable to power subs.

(That's is why most powered subs using class D amps need not be powered down.)

Many powered subs use MOSFET ended Class D amps designed to drive 1 ohm loads necessary for extended low frequencies.  You may want to consider such features in your haunt for a good amp to drive your passive sub.

You may also want to check this site for some basic principles in DIY subs.

http://members.hometown.aol.com/_ht_a/lmdmkm/index.htm

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2003 at 05:15 PM by av_phile »

Offline ryan750

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Dai-1chi!
  • Liked:
pls recommend subwoofer amplifier
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004 at 08:54 PM »
mga repatoootss.. recommend naman sub amp kasi gusto kong gumawa ng sub kahit mga 70 watts lng po... ung mura ln i'm thingking of using a 8" or 10" targa.

Offline raycor

• Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
Re: Amplifier for SUBWOOFER
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004 at 01:21 AM »
sir Ryan750, pa share naman ng box dimension ng 8in targa. i have two 8in targa, i made a lot of trials to attain the best possible and accurate low freq effect pero medyo stiff ang bass. i think di accurate yung dimension ng box, port length, port diameter...im using an alexan 100w mono amp kit and an alexan active low pass filter kit. any comment?  thanks.. :)

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004 at 11:02 AM »
First, I agree with av_phile,
I've tried this one, and I ended up with a pair of burned transistors on my amp. An ECE friend told me this is a case of mismatch. Subwoofers usually require a whole lot of power to be driven and average amps can't handle loads this high. Kahit sa impedance point of view na lang, usually subs are rated at 4 Ohms and amps, usually at 8 Ohms. MISMATCH!

Bro Raycor,
meron namang nakalagay sa box ng targa subs ng box volume at kung anong box type, you may have missed it. It's also on their website. www.daiichi.ph. But that's the price of DIY, experimentation.

ALL IN ALL, if you have budget constraints, and may not be that knowledgeable about DIY powered subs, I would suggest buying a powered sub na lang instead of building one. Suggestion? Daiichi ASW-10DR, 4,250 pesos only, with dual 10" drivers, isobaric 4th order, freq. resp. range: 5Hz-300Hz. Mahihirapan kang gumawa ng sub that would cost less than that and could perform as well. Just my thoughts. :)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline ryan750

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Dai-1chi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004 at 01:21 PM »
sir arthurallanj saan po nakakabili ng asw-10dr na yon' at pwede po bang mahingi ang specs..

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004 at 02:35 PM »
sir arthurallanj saan po nakakabili ng asw-10dr na yon' at pwede po bang mahingi ang specs..

Sa Moses Aaron, look for Mike, pakisabi DJ Art referred you so you can get a 5% discount. It's at 623 G. Puyat st., Quiapo. Tel. no. 735-4390. Yun nga, it has two 10" drivers, placed in an isobaric arrangement, in a 4th Order bandpass enclosure. Max power: 200W. Line and speaker level inputs, sattelite speaker output. Volume level control and frequency cutoff adjustment ranging from 40Hz-300Hz. Frequency Response: 5Hz-300Hz. I think this is the best sub you can get for that price. I have two at home. TC, bro. :)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #23 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 01:53 PM »
mga bros, magkano ba ang amp na 300 w for subwoofer ? me ready made na bang nabibili? thnx ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 02:50 PM »
mga bros, magkano ba ang amp na 300 w for subwoofer ? me ready made na bang nabibili? thnx ;)

Marami dyang ready made amp for subs. Marami naman sa Raon e. But is this what you really want? If you're palnning on using it for home theater, I think mas convenient ang powered subs, in terms of ease of use, space, and even price. And you'd be certain na matched ang sub system mo if self-powered sya. Mas maraming considerations kasi if bibili ka ng amp and gawa ka pa ng passive sub. I think sub amps are only ideal for professional use only. But that's just me.  :)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 03:20 PM »
bro arthur, i already have 15" sub powered by an outboard amp. because its amp is outboard, medyo convenient to change it anytime. what i have in mind is to have another amp to use para pagpali-palitin ko whenever i feel the need kung alam kong medyo pagod na ang isang amp, or whenever nangangati ang mga kamay ko at wala akong magawa hehe!  ;D.

any idea about the price bro? thnks

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 01, 2004 at 05:16 PM »
I've seen some heavy and fan-cooled power amps at Phasetron at Park Square 1, locally made professional amps costing no more than 15T.  Bridgeable to deliver more than 300 watts in mono, if not mistaken.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 08:51 AM »
bro av_phile1 nabibigla yata ako,,, ang mahal pala. me alam ka rin bang budget price lang na sub amp na ikakabit ko na lang ung passive driver? thnkx-- ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 09:36 AM »
Well, none in the makati area, i suppose.  I would suspect you can find a cheaper alternative in Raon.  I think there are power amp kits in Deeco and better electronics shops, but may not be as powerful as what you have in mind. They're usually in the 100 wpc range.  Then there are automoble sub boosters that retail at around 5T but you would need a high current 12 volt DC source which can be expensive as well.  There are also locally made professional power amps in Raon that are very affordable.  But they roll off below 30hz which is not my idea of a good amp for subs. 
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2004 at 11:45 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 02, 2004 at 12:28 PM »
I bought a Yamaha vintage amp in pier 2 years ago, 240watts plate rating, maybe 100wpc. Price is 3.5k. Put on the LOUDNESS switch, cut the treble and mid setting. I have a 12inch Konzert SW with dual voice coil. so my yamaha power each of the voice coil. The yamaha is connected to the pre-out of my AV receiver. This power my SW in HT mode (sometimes in stereo), its both a SIGHT and a SOUND. No need to spend much nor to experiment much.

a 50-70wpc amp can be bought at 2k-3k in pier.
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)