Author Topic: DVDS with More than Usual Packaging i.e. Carton Sleeves/Tin/Wood/Leather/etc..  (Read 5245 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have been collecting dvds with tin/carton/plastic outer sleeves or outer wrap:T2, Toy Story, Disney titles, Artisan DVDs.

At first, I was not really aware of this extra accessory till I saw the price differences among fellow PinoyDVD sellers and buyers.  Also, through time, I have noticed that DVDs for sale initially consist of the complete set with carton outerwrap/sleeves but somehow these so called sleeves become scarce and rare after two or three months of sale in the market.  I say it's very exquisite and very nice to look at especially when you arrange them in your cabinet or in your own "ark of the covenant".

I would just like to know your Point of Views (POVs) and your dvd collection list with carton/plastic or tin sleeves. Hope you can sort through how you feel and think re this important DVD detail.   

Peace!!!

:)   
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2004 at 09:15 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
hi there. well for me I would like all my disney collections to  have carton sleeves.pero kung may lalabas na title its only limited to the first batch.  Sana for the studios who make these dvd's that sana if they include carton sleeves to thier dvd's make it all the way.not only for a limited time.there is not much difference if there is with the sleeves or not. but for me I'm like it more if there is a carton sleeves.mas maganda kasi pag nakadisplay.But the problem with disney is that keep on making limited issues of titles and at time selling at much higher price.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
hi there. well for me I would like all my disney collections to  have carton sleeves.pero kung may lalabas na title its only limited to the first batch.  Sana for the studios who make these dvd's that sana if they include carton sleeves to thier dvd's make it all the way.not only for a limited time.there is not much difference if there is with the sleeves or not. but for me I'm like it more if there is a carton sleeves.mas maganda kasi pag nakadisplay.But the problem with disney is that keep on making limited issues of titles and at time selling at much higher price.

i agree... i think cardboard slipcases are pretty (altho, oh so difficult to maintain... it's paper... and paper degrades.)

i honestly think all this "limited issue" and "carton slipcase" brouhaha by disney is one big marketing ploy...  :'(

i think they shoyuld really reconsider this. kasi, in the long run hindi naman sila ang kumikita eh... it's these very enterprising people who sell 'em for tons of profit at ebay & other auction sites who do.  :-[

Offline MiKeBiBbY

• Collector
  • This is our year...
  • Liked:
in terms of "monetary" value, probably yes... as observed, limited edition releases become more expensive over time. but personally, the value of a collection is still relative. what's valuable to you may not be that important to others, and vise versa.

but as posted above, most dvds in carton slip cases are so hard to maintain. they're prone to dents and scratches if not handled well.  having said this, dvds (including its packaging) may not command a good re-sale value if they're not in the best condition.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
Universal has started to re-release some dvds with carton sleeves. Some recent titles i got with sleeves are:

- Field of Dreams
- Pitch Black
- Bourne Identity

hope you can share other dvds with more than usual packaging like:

- Wicker Man (wood)
- Dances with Wolves - Korean Version (leather case)
- Disney Treasures
- In the Mood For Love (Korean Limited Edition)
- Usual Suspects/Rain Man/Fargo with plastic sleeves

Posting pix if available would be helpful... thanks. :)

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
How do you classify the packaging of Basic Instinct: Unrated Special Edition?
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
How do you classify the packaging of Basic Instinct: Unrated Special Edition?

The icepick one dude?  ???

It could be under the special edition packaging. But I heard that it is fragile.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Universal has started to re-release some dvds with carton sleeves. Some recent titles i got with sleeves are:

- Field of Dreams
- Pitch Black
- Bourne Identity

hope you can share other dvds with more than usual packaging like:

- Wicker Man (wood)
- Dances with Wolves - Korean Version (leather case)
- Disney Treasures
- In the Mood For Love (Korean Limited Edition)
- Usual Suspects/Rain Man/Fargo with plastic sleeves

Posting pix if available would be helpful... thanks. :)

Bro how's the packaging of In the Mood for Love? It's on my wanted lists of the criterion collection...how many pages yung booklet?  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2004 at 05:56 PM by keating »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:

The icepick one dude?  ???

It could be under the special edition packaging. But I heard that it is fragile.

dude.. the case is made of really tough plastic...  not really fragile... :)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:

Bro how's the packaging of In the Mood for Love? It's on my wanted lists of the criterion collection...how many pages yung booklet?  :)

the korean release is in small tin.. booklet.. not so sure.. bought the korean version instead because of the nice and limited packaging.. transfer (audio and video wise) is superb also. i prefer the korean version over the criterion and as much as possible... i get foreign films dvds from the country or region of origin. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2004 at 06:38 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

the korean release is in small tin.. booklet.. no so sure.. bought the korean version instead because of the nice and limited packaging.. transfer (audio and video wise) is superb also. i prefer the korean version over the criterion and as much as possible... i get foreign films dvds from the country or region of origin. :)

Thanks dude for the info.... :)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
I rented the Criterion of In the Mood For Love from Video 48 a few months ago, and the booklet contains the short story Intersections, from where the movie was based. I think it's a little over twenty-pages.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I rented the Criterion of In the Mood For Love from Video 48 a few months ago, and the booklet contains the short story Intersections, from where the movie was based. I think it's a little over twenty-pages.

It's not always available on video 48. I hope it will be in this week.  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2004 at 09:18 PM by keating »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
This is I think a DVD first (that I'm aware of) - The first TALKING packaging:

When you open the cardboard slipcase of "The Apprentice," you'll hear The Donald's trademark, "You're fired!"

Unfortunately I don't see any way to replace/remove the battery when it has run out.

Still, nice gimmick.  O0
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:

When you open the cardboard slipcase of "The Apprentice," you'll hear The Donald's trademark, "You're fired!"

Unfortunately I don't see any way to replace/remove the battery when it has run out.

Still, nice gimmick.  O0

wow.. thanks Mr. Hankey!!! check ko nga yun... baka worth it at $38.00 at DDD.. :)

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
^ parang talking Hallmark cards of yore..  ;D guess you'd have to open it up to change the battery

Offline Rnold

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
I have the Les Miserables Dream Concert which I bought in Hong Kong 2 years ago and is packaged in a booktype case. The dvd is in an amaray case and placed in the booktype case/box.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
I have the Les Miserables Dream Concert which I bought in Hong Kong 2 years ago and is packaged in a booktype case. The dvd is in an amaray case and placed in the booktype case/box.

wow...  :o :o :o :o. got that one too sir.. pati Hey Mr. Producer which i sold to one of the members here..  Asian Release but very classy and elegant... problem with DTS soundtrack lang dahil parang di masyado malinis ang pagkatransfer... but nice to have definitely...

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
 ;D ;D ;D

You can add Troy Limited Editon with the Leather Box!   ;)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
;D ;D ;D

You can add Troy Limited Editon with the Leather Box!   ;)

;D false leather......
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
I also like DVDs in special packaging...but they're so hard to come by. I personally prefer the DVDs to be packaged this way because they just look so good on display. ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
But there are also those DVDs which packaged in a very sensitive cover that can easily be dented. Such Examples are Spiderman2-Giftset and Lemony Snicket's CE (with book)

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...excellent packaging!!! Worth space in any DVD collection... ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:

Synopsis

ELVIRA – Elvira busts out in her outrageously funny feature film debut. When her Great Aunt dies, famed horror hostess Elvira® heads for the uptight New England town of Falwell to claim her inheritance of a haunted house, a witch's cookbook and a punk rock poodle.
RETURN OF THE KILLER TOMATOES – They‘re back and this time, they‘re really stewed! Mad genetic scientist Professor Gangreen (John Astin) is plotting to take over the world by creating a race of mighty tomato warriors and one wanton tomato woman (Karen Mistal). Can two heroes defeat the most fiendish red menace of all or will the girl of their dreams turn out be a complete vegetable?

TRANSYLVANIA 6-5000 – Tabloid reporters (Jeff Goldblum and Ed Begley, Jr.) are sent to Transylvania to find the Frankenstein monster, where they face the horrors of a clumsy butler (Michael Richards), a nymphomaniac vampire (Geena Davis) and more Transylvanian oddballs.

RETURN TO HORROR HIGH – Crippen High School was the scene of a series of brutal murders. The killer was never caught. A low-budget film crew (including George Clooney), has returned to film the story of what actually happened. Now it appears that the depraved maniac is back.

SLEEPAWAY CAMP – When happy campers begin to die in a series of horrible accidents, they discover that someone – or something – has turned their summer of fun into a vacation to dismember.

VAMP – Can a group of fraternity pledges survive a bizarre onslaught of vixens and vamps, or will the armies of the undead take the ultimate bite out of their night?

Features
Elvira(TM), Mistress Of The Dark

Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs

Theatrical Trailer

Teaser Trailer

Cassandra Peterson Bio

Return of the Killer Tomatoes

Full-Frame Presentation

Theatrical Trailer

Cassandra Peterson Bio

Return To Horror High

Theatrical Trailer

Cassandra Peterson Bio

Sleepaway Camp

Theatrical Trailer

Audio Commentary with director Robert Hiltzik, star Felissa Rose. Moderated by Jeff Hayes

Transylvania 6-5000

Theatrical Trailers

TV Spots

Original Storyboard Art

Still Gallery

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Rudy De Luca and Visual Consultant Steve Haberman.

Vamp

Teaser Trailers

TV Spots

Poster And Still Gallery

Short: Dracula Bites The Big Apple

Behind-The-Scenes Rehersal Footage

Blooper Reel

Audio Commentary with Co-Writer/Director Richard Wenk and Stars Chris Makepeace, Dedee Pfeiffer and Gedde Watanabe.

pretty cool, sofdrinks style packaging

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:

Still, nice gimmick.  O0

There was this release called Speed Racer Volume2, the first limited release carries the talking packaging gimmick .. months prior to the Apprentice release

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2005 at 09:01 AM by xage »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Some of my DVD in a Metal/Tin Case

Please click thumbnail pic to expand

And one of the unusual packaging so far hitting the market.. A Hairy HEAD

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2006 at 12:53 PM by xage »