Author Topic: hdmi question  (Read 683 times)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
hdmi question
« on: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:18 AM »
pardon my ignorance.

would an HDMI cable upgrade have an impact to picture quality if the TV is directly streaming from modem? (HDMI is connected between TV and receiver). Netflix is streaming via wifi.

thanks.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: hdmi question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM »
pardon my ignorance.

would an HDMI cable upgrade have an impact to picture quality if the TV is directly streaming from modem? (HDMI is connected between TV and receiver). Netflix is streaming via wifi.

thanks.

4k TV ba gamit mo?

if your previously using HDMI which is 1080p capable only then your switching to 4k capable HDMI then the answer is YES

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:43 AM »
assuming you have an hd/4k netflix subscription

if you are playing netflix via the built-in tv app, then hdmi cable have no impact

if you are playing netflix via an android box connected to avr, then yes it can have an impact, lower speed hdmi cable doesn't support 4k.

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:47 AM »
If my understanding is correct you dont need a so-called 4k hdmi cable as long as it is the high speed version... here’s an article about it:
https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/

There are bad and good quality cables as far as durability is concerned but as for compatibility, a cheap hdmi cable i got way back works well with my 4k hdr sony tv connected to a yamaha rx v585 receiver. I did buy from amazon those monoprice hdmi cables as an “upgrade” for durability and i wanted all my gears connected to it - ps4 pro, nvidia shield, apple tv 4k - using the same cable for uniformity but the first one i had before was working fine
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:49 AM by sidewinder »

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM »
dati gamit ko ordinary HDMI cable but from my media player the output to my TV is only 1920x1080 but when i upgrade to 4k HDMI naging 4096 x 2160 pixel na sya. and very visible ang difference sa UI palang ng media player.

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM »
It does.. recently replaced a stock hdmi cable from skycable hd box with a new one which i bought years ago.. and the difference is very much noticeable.. kala ko myth lang dati..
The Pats way...

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM »
assuming you have an hd/4k netflix subscription

if you are playing netflix via the built-in tv app, then hdmi cable have no impact

if you are playing netflix via an android box connected to avr, then yes it can have an impact, lower speed hdmi cable doesn't support 4k.

exactly, as long as its high speed hdmi you should be good to go

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:27 PM »
pardon my ignorance.

thanks.

check how many mbps you are getting from netflix since netflix auto switches according to the speed your internet can supply, in my case in our 50mbps fiber plan, when checking on the sony tv the Netflix streaming quality for 4k HDR  usually ranges from 15mbps to 20mbps (its the same when i tested both wifi and ethernet so i guess its their max on my current fiber plan though the connection is consistent at 50-60mbps when checking via speedtest) you can check it by pressing the "i" button on the Sony tv remote to chek your netflix streaming quality if via built in netflix app on smart tv, not sure what button it is for other TVs..  For nvidia shield there are a couple of keyboard clicks, forgot the combination, for sure other media players can also show this info
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:31 PM by sidewinder »

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 01:33 PM »
check how many mbps you are getting from netflix since netflix auto switches according to the speed your internet can supply, in my case in our 50mbps fiber plan, when checking on the sony tv the Netflix streaming quality for 4k HDR  usually ranges from 15mbps to 20mbps (its the same when i tested both wifi and ethernet so i guess its their max on my current fiber plan though the connection is consistent at 50-60mbps when checking via speedtest) you can check it by pressing the "i" button on the Sony tv remote to chek your netflix streaming quality if via built in netflix app on smart tv, not sure what button it is for other TVs..  For nvidia shield there are a couple of keyboard clicks, forgot the combination, for sure other media players can also show this info

im getting 15Mbps from Netflix as displayed from TV streaming and my subscription runs up to 20Mbps as claimed. im playing it directly from the built in TV app, not from an outboard media player or box.....would an hdmi cable upgrade give me a better picture quality or not?

the hdmi running from my TV going into the receiver is for the audio only, not for video?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 01:37 PM »
if ill use an outboard media player and stream my Netflix via that media player before feeding into the TV, would that help improve my Netflix PQ?

im just want to get the best PQ out of netflix.....

im allan - 09178087173

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 03:02 PM »
pardon my ignorance.
thanks.
Based on your statement, no, you are already running Netflix on your TV. If you are complaining of video quality, then it is your wifi that is the problem. The recommended 4K Netflix connection is suggested at 25mbps, although you can sometimes get by with 15-20. As you are using wifi, perhaps you can try an ethernet connection to your TV and see if that can make your picture more stable.

Check also fast.com, that's Netflix's speed checking app.

if ill use an outboard media player and stream my Netflix via that media player before feeding into the TV, would that help improve my Netflix PQ?
im just want to get the best PQ out of netflix.....
if its your wifi, no.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 03:39 PM »
Based on your statement, no, you are already running Netflix on your TV. If you are complaining of video quality, then it is your wifi that is the problem. The recommended 4K Netflix connection is suggested at 25mbps, although you can sometimes get by with 15-20. As you are using wifi, perhaps you can try an ethernet connection to your TV and see if that can make your picture more stable.

if its your wifi, no.

if its your wifi, no.

I see. 25Mbps is min for UHD. for HD, would 15 to 20Mbps suffice to max out intended PQ?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 05:17 PM »
Should be more than enough. I take it you're not happy with the quality? does it become blocky every now and then, or just blocky all the time?

As per Netflix:
0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2018 at 06:30 PM »
I see. 25Mbps is min for UHD. for HD, would 15 to 20Mbps suffice to max out intended PQ?

I think its enough as long as you are not getting cut off or no buffer, as i said in my case we are on plan 50mbps fiber and netflix is usually streaming at 15-20 mbps on average for 4k hdr, just recently watched daredevil and it was in 4K HDR, Dolby Vision, and playing Atmos on my yamaha receiver and there were no lags at all, its like watching a  local file... if you are still not satisfied i guess its time to replace the TV or go for a higher dsl/fiber plan? but I think a TV could be more worth it if you are still not satisfied with the netflix picture quality even when it streams on 4K, there are no setting i know of on the netflix app, as long as you are signed up for the ultra HD plan it will stream that or adjust depending on your internet connection

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2018 at 08:44 AM »
the streaming usually plays around 13 to 15Mbps for a subscription of 20Mbps. there are few occasions when the pq gets blurred but It would recover after a few seconds.

I would normally see the slow down on high traffic hours.

well, I guess being used to audio just makes me want to maximize everything up to the last drop of potential it could give. :)

im ok with the PQ from ps4. hence, i guess this is really an issue of data speed and its consistency. :(
im allan - 09178087173